PDA

View Full Version : Happy Veteran's Day!

happystuff
11-11-20, 10:00am
Many thanks and prayers to all who have served, all who are serving and all who will serve.

iris lilies
11-11-20, 10:23am
Thanks to all who served.

Teacher Terry
11-11-20, 10:47am
I am grateful to all that have served!

early morning
11-11-20, 10:57am
I am grateful to all that have served!

As am I. THANK YOU to all our vets and current service members, today, and all days.

razz
11-11-20, 11:06am
It was an especially touching scene when I took the dog for his walk through our local cemetery this morning. I observed a gentleman in jeans and a peaked hat walking slowly among the headstones in the section for service veterans. He was studying each stone intently before slowly moving to the next one. It seemed at though each was receiving a prayer from a grateful man with no audience. I will remember that image for a long time.

LDAHL
11-11-20, 12:20pm
I get a free burger today!

Alan
11-11-20, 12:25pm
I get a free burger today!
My wife, who's also a veteran, received a $25 Cracker Barrel gift card from her school this morning, plus we get the same free burger. Yippee!

happystuff
11-11-20, 12:40pm
I know there are "free" out there today, but not really up for heading out - it's rainy here. Enjoy your burgers!!!

LDAHL
11-11-20, 12:55pm
My wife, who's also a veteran, received a $25 Cracker Barrel gift card from her school this morning, plus we get the same free burger. Yippee!

Plus, I’ll get a free flag for my coffin when the time comes.

Alan
11-11-20, 12:58pm
Plus, I’ll get a free flag for my coffin when the time comes.Yes, and a free grave on a local hero's hill* if you like. We have quite a collection of the flags and Presidential condolence letters in my family.

*phrase stolen from John Prine's Sam Stone

razz
11-11-20, 1:53pm
Idahl and Alan, I am confused by your posts and their intent.

happystuff
11-11-20, 1:56pm
Plus, I’ll get a free flag for my coffin when the time comes.

I don't know if my kids even realize they will get this when I die, even though I'll be cremated. Should probably tell them. LOL

Alan
11-11-20, 1:58pm
Idahl and Alan, I am confused by your posts and their intent.
We're veterans. It's nice to be remembered by our friends and neighbors one day a year but a free burger, a flag and 20 sq. ft. of land when we die are nice too.

Oh, and I forgot to mention, we're now entitled to a free lifetime pass to our National Parks too. That one was a long time coming.

LDAHL
11-11-20, 2:27pm
I didn’t know about the National Parks pass.

My grandfather referred to it as “Armistice Day” his whole life. He was in the 33rd Infantry Division with the AEF, and came home with a Silver Star and a Purple Heart. My family has maintained a century-long record unblemished by gallantry ever since.

Alan
11-11-20, 2:31pm
I didn’t know about the National Parks pass.

It's a brand new benefit, effective today. https://www.militarytimes.com/news/pentagon-congress/2020/10/28/fees-at-national-parks-waived-for-veterans-gold-star-families-starting-next-month/

LDAHL
11-11-20, 2:35pm
I finally get to use the veteran logo on my driver’s license!

Alan
11-11-20, 3:23pm
I finally get to use the veteran logo on my driver’s license!Apparently, in Ohio, you have to ask for that designation on your license and I never have. I wonder why a DD214 is not on the list of approved identifiers?

frugal-one
11-11-20, 3:41pm
I finally get to use the veteran logo on my driver’s license!

What is the benefit of that? My DH is a veteran.

ETA... guess this would be one reason?
For free access to the sites, veterans will have to present a Department of Defense Identification Card, a Veteran Health Identification Card, a government-issued Veteran ID Card or a state-issued U.S. driver’s license or identification card confirming an individual’s status as a veteran.

happystuff
11-12-20, 11:18am
It's a brand new benefit, effective today. https://www.militarytimes.com/news/pentagon-congress/2020/10/28/fees-at-national-parks-waived-for-veterans-gold-star-families-starting-next-month/

I didn't realize this either. Thanks for the link; will be checking it out.

Edited to add: What I am reading says vets with disability ratings... I'm a bit confused.

Got this off the application:

"A document issued by a Federal agency, such as the U.S. Department of Veterans Administration, which attests thatyou have beenmedically determined to be eligible to receive Federal benefits as a result of blindness or permanentdisability. Otheracceptable Federal agency documents include proof of receipt of Social Security Disability Income(SSDI) orSupplemental Security Income (SSI)"

So this is not for ALL veterans?

Alan
11-12-20, 11:32am
I didn't realize this either. Thanks for the link; will be checking it out.

Edited to add: What I am reading says vets with disability ratings... I'm a bit confused.

Got this off the application:

"A document issued by a Federal agency, such as the U.S. Department of Veterans Administration, which attests thatyou have beenmedically determined to be eligible to receive Federal benefits as a result of blindness or permanentdisability. Otheracceptable Federal agency documents include proof of receipt of Social Security Disability Income(SSDI) orSupplemental Security Income (SSI)"

So this is not for ALL veterans?
Yes, it is for all veterans and Gold Star families. I was incorrect in calling it a lifetime pass because there is apparently no pass involved, just free admittance for anyone with the proper identification. https://www.nps.gov/planyourvisit/veterans-and-gold-star-families-free-access.htm

happystuff
11-12-20, 11:37am
Yes, it is for all veterans and Gold Star families. I was incorrect in calling it a lifetime pass because there is apparently no pass involved, just free admittance for anyone with the proper identification. https://www.nps.gov/planyourvisit/veterans-and-gold-star-families-free-access.htm

Thanks!

early morning
11-12-20, 11:40am
Apparently, in Ohio, you have to ask for that designation on your license and I never have. I wonder why a DD214 is not on the list of approved identifiers?

Alan, a DD214 IS an acceptable doc in OHIO since 2011: as noted below:

The “Armed Forces” stamp, which has been in existence since December 2009, enables these
veterans to have a photo ID as a sign of their service. To be eligible to receive the stamp, at no extra
cost, veterans must provide to the Bureau of Motor Vehicles a copy of their DD 214 or DD 215 when
they renew their driver’s license or military ID. Other forms of identification acceptable to receive
the stamp include a VA ID, a current military ID, a leave and earnings statement, or a copy of orders.

http://www.ohiomoaa.org/documents/armedforces-stamp.pdf

Alan
11-12-20, 11:50am
Alan, a DD214 IS an acceptable doc in OHIO since 2011: as noted below:

The “Armed Forces” stamp, which has been in existence since December 2009, enables these
veterans to have a photo ID as a sign of their service. To be eligible to receive the stamp, at no extra
cost, veterans must provide to the Bureau of Motor Vehicles a copy of their DD 214 or DD 215 when
they renew their driver’s license or military ID. Other forms of identification acceptable to receive
the stamp include a VA ID, a current military ID, a leave and earnings statement, or a copy of orders.

http://www.ohiomoaa.org/documents/armedforces-stamp.pdf
Yes, I'm aware of the requirements to have the stamp on your license, I've simply never done it although my wife has. It's bugging me a bit now because I just renewed my Ohio license two weeks ago. >:(

In my original question I was wondering why the National Park Service did not list a DD214 as a qualifying document at time of entry.

nswef
11-13-20, 9:15am
Alan, I wonder if you can get a new copy with the proper designation. It might be worth an internet check or phone call. Maryland's DOT site is very helpful!

Alan
11-13-20, 12:04pm
Alan, I wonder if you can get a new copy with the proper designation. It might be worth an internet check or phone call. Maryland's DOT site is very helpful!
I called this morning, they'd be happy to replace my new license with another including my veteran status for $30. I'll pass on that till next time around since my wife has the designation on hers we can use at National Parks. It's really not that big a deal for us since visiting one of our National Parks with our grandson several years ago the park staff gave us a lifetime pass due to our grandson's disability. We've used that exclusively since then but I feel a little bit guilty using it when he's not with us. I sleep better with a clear conscience. ;)

nswef
11-18-20, 9:27am
I hear you Alan.