PDA

View Full Version : Embracing the Label

Yppej
11-12-20, 6:08am
I was radio channel surfing and came across an oldies station. They proudly proclaimed, "It's boomer time."

Having been dismissively charged with being a boomer (which I am not) I thought this was interesting, and maybe analogous to the claiming of the word queer.

Tybee
11-12-20, 9:05am
Maybe so. My problem is it sounds like the name of a labrador retriever.

catherine
11-12-20, 9:17am
Maybe so. My problem is it sounds like the name of a labrador retriever.

I'm going to keep that in mind for when I get my next dog, which will probably be a lab!

bae
11-12-20, 11:56am
Having been dismissively charged with being a boomer (which I am not) I thought this was interesting, and maybe analogous to the claiming of the word queer.

No.

ToomuchStuff
11-13-20, 10:28am
Did they play the theme toon to battlestar Galactica?

Yppej
11-13-20, 5:50pm
TMS I don't know that song so I can't tell you. Sorry.

ewomack
11-14-20, 11:21am
I have no idea what "boomer" would mean in that context unless it was a "really oldies" station, meaning 1950s or very early 1960s pop, which is possible. Even "classic rock" seems to have given way to 1980s pop on the nostalgia airwaves. Though I'm obviously not walking around in the world as much as I used to, when I do I now hear more Duran Duran or Devo than Aerosmith or Lynyrd Skynyrd, two bands I used to hear continuously out in the world when I was younger.

Yppej
11-14-20, 3:10pm
Yes, it was 50s and 60s music.

ApatheticNoMore
11-14-20, 3:49pm
50s music is definitely too old to be boomer music, that's silent generation stuff.

GeorgeParker
1-9-21, 1:22am
50s music is definitely too old to be boomer music, that's silent generation stuff.

With all due respect, your chronology is wrong by ten years. The true Boomers were born between 1945 and 1954. We're the kids who watched the Mickey Mouse club (1955-1959) and Lassie (1957-1964) and Howdy Doody. Jon Provost, who played Timmy on Lassie, was born in 1950, right in the middle of the Boomer generation and thus was the perfect age for all of us to identify with his character on Lassie.

We turned 10 years old between 1956-1966, and ten is the age you leave little kid music behind and get your own radio so you can listen to teenage music (pop/rock/top 40) instead of having to listen to what your parents listen to, so we were right in the heart of mid-50s music when it was new and during it's revival in the 1960s. We were the generation that went to Woodstock, and dreamed about hot rods and surfing, and grew long hair (even if we weren't really hippies), and did all the other things that are iconic of what 15-20 year olds were doing in the mid to late 60s.

In short, you're confusing Boomers with our younger siblings, Generation Jones (born 1955-1964). And most of Generation Jones was also familiar with 1950s-60s music because they spent the first 5-10 years of their life listening to their older siblings playing Boomer music. :)

GeorgeParker
1-9-21, 2:06am
Based on the way I've heard young teens use the phrase "Ok, Boomer", it seems to be a putdown aimed at people who are too young to be Boomers but are expressing Boomer-type opinions/attitudes.

Dictionary.com says: ”Ok Boomer is a viral internet slang phrase used, often in a humorous or ironic manner, to call out or dismiss out-of-touch or closed-minded opinions associated with the Baby Boomer generation and older people more generally.”

IOW it's the currently hip way of calling someone an old fogey, Especially if they're not really old.

ToomuchStuff
1-9-21, 9:23am
And the best reply I have heard, is Thanks, Tidepods.

GeorgeParker
1-9-21, 10:43pm
And the best reply I have heard, is Thanks, Tidepods.
The Tidepods nickname falls far short as a nickname insult. It was based on a short-lived fad that was mostly just talked about and not done because it was obviously dangerous and stupid. So it doesn't really typify the people you're talking about.

It would be much more appropriate to call them tadpoles, which is timeless and clearly indicates that you think they're immature.

ToomuchStuff
1-10-21, 1:36am
The Tidepods nickname falls far short as a nickname insult. It was based on a short-lived fad

Short lived fad, seems to be what boomer was around here.

GeorgeParker
1-10-21, 2:05am
Short lived fad, seems to be what boomer was around here.
In what way?

I'm a Boomer, and obviously proud of it, but I'm also stuck with the perception that all of us people who were born between 1945 and 1954 are somehow the same and all think alike, which is obviously rubbish.

Or were you using the term Boomer in some other way, like the economic boom created by the Baby Boomers was a short-lived fad?

Elucidate please.

ToomuchStuff
1-10-21, 7:39am
Short-lived fad nickname insult.