PDA

View Full Version : Happy solstice

Chicken lady
12-21-20, 5:34am
To those struggling with darkness, may you find light, hope, peace, and joy.

May the new year bring you blessings as we take another trip around the sun.

razz
12-21-20, 7:28am
Happy Solstice to you, CL. How are you celebrating this special day?

I love Dec 21 as the days get longer from this day forward and by mid January, just a few weeks into the new year, the longer days are so evident and uplifting.

nswef
12-21-20, 10:30am
Thank Chicken Lady for the good wishes. I love that the earth has turned...soon more daylight. Having turned the clocks back so much later in the year makes the darkness less oppressive due to the shorter duration. May the light lift you!

catherine
12-21-20, 10:36am
Tonight is a VERY rare occurrence of the Christmas Star where Jupiter is conjoined with Saturn. Apparently the best time to see it is 45 minutes past sundown in the southwestern sky.

Unfortunately, it's going to be cloudy this evening up here in VT. If you are under clear skies, check it out and report back!

happystuff
12-21-20, 11:12am
I keep hoping to see the two planets, but so far - no luck.

Happy Solstice to all!

Teacher Terry
12-21-20, 12:44pm
Good to see you CL!

iris lilies
12-21-20, 1:21pm
I always look forward to the lightening days.

KayLR
12-21-20, 2:30pm
I read a review over the weekend for a book called, "The Return of the Light, Twelve Tales from Around the World for the Winter Solstice," and it looked pretty interesting. A few years ago I read a (so good) fantasy book called, "The Snow Child." I love reading fiction tales from northern lands.

I guess I love me some wintery, snowy, cold and dark books. Got any to recommend?

Tammy
12-21-20, 6:17pm
We’ve had mostly clear views of the great conjunction here in the southwestern desert. I could still distinguish between the two planets last night, after being outdoors for 15 minutes. It takes a bit for eyes to adjust to darkness, and then it becomes brilliantly distinct.

Tammy
12-21-20, 6:18pm
And I love it that this happening in solstice. These eternal and ancient events in our sky are becoming more precious to me each year.

SteveinMN
12-21-20, 9:30pm
Cloudy here. Again. >:(

razz
12-21-20, 9:55pm
Cloudy and raining in S. Ontario so no viewing.

Chicken lady
12-22-20, 5:29am
Hi razz,

I did some cleaning up and out ahead of time.

Got up early to restart the woodstove from the coals and light candles around the house. then I spent some time journaling, reflecting on the past year and focusing on my hopes for the new one. I went outside to give thanks at the moment and enjoyed stepping back in to the warm, lighted embrace of my home to start my year.

I kept the candles all day - which was nice because it was overcast and rainy here too. Still managed to have an outside fire, but just a small one for me, not a big bonfire. I tossed some things into it - literally and metaphorically - that I’m ready to let go of.

I usually fast through the long night, but switched to the short day this year for reasons, then had a lovely dinner with Dh after sundown. We had some wine in front of the fire and dreamed about the coming year and our future.

nswef
12-22-20, 8:35am
Chicken Lady, what a wonderful celebration!

Rogar
12-22-20, 9:07am
It was a clear night here and the conjunction of Saturn and Jupiter was quite visible. Not exactly as stunning as the news portended but interesting. Drank a very dark beer.

iris lilies
12-22-20, 9:21am
We had beautiful warm sunny clear weather the past couple of days. We had wood with fires two nights in a row, our first of the winter season. Wood fires seem appropriate for solstice night.

We have a gas fireplace in our Hermann house which I like because it’s so easy, but they’re not the same as wood fires.

rosarugosa
12-22-20, 9:30am
I read a review over the weekend for a book called, "The Return of the Light, Twelve Tales from Around the World for the Winter Solstice," and it looked pretty interesting. A few years ago I read a (so good) fantasy book called, "The Snow Child." I love reading fiction tales from northern lands.

I guess I love me some wintery, snowy, cold and dark books. Got any to recommend?

The Snow Child is on my list - perhaps on a recommendation from you. The Shining is always a good one, and I think The Boy Who Drew Monsters would also qualify if I'm recalling it correctly.

rosarugosa
1-1-21, 11:13am
KayLR: I was just going through my lists of books I've read by year, and I came across a couple more titles, both horror:
The Winter People - Jennifer McMahon
The Ice Twins - S.K. Tremayne