PDA

View Full Version : Interested in baking bread

SiouzQ.
6-10-11, 8:31pm
Hi everyone,

I think I have only baked bread once in my life way back when I was in high school but I am having the urge to try it again. What special supplies do I need for it? I'd also like to get some of your favorite recipes ~ I am interested in trying bread out alternative grains like spelt, and I really also like pumpernickel rye and sourdough. Any tips would be helpful too ~ thanks!

kally
6-10-11, 9:55pm
I learned a lot from the book Laurel's kitchen.

razz
6-10-11, 10:27pm
Try and do the simple white/brown mix first and get the feel of the dough, the time for rising, the baking etcl After you feel comfortable, try the alternative flours adding a little at a time to replace some of the regular flours.
Of course, you could try the Artisan bread http://www.motherearthnews.com/Real-Food/Artisan-Bread-In-Five-Minutes-A-Day.aspx?page=4

flowerseverywhere
6-11-11, 8:01am
I have a kitchenaid mixer which I use but there is no reason why you can't mix by hand and knead. you can also try artisan breads, which take longer but you don't knead.

here is a link to some great recipes and videos using all kinds of flours and grains , your library may have the books as well

http://www.artisanbreadinfive.com/

here is a great primer to get you started, and the website is packed with recipes using all kinds of grains

http://www.thefreshloaf.com/lessons/yourfirstloaf

for traditional bread here is a great site with lots of techniques

www.kingarthurflour.com

enjoy. I love baking bread, the only problem we have is not eating too much it is so delicious

once you figure out the basics you can make your own pizza dough (artisan or regular) and all kinds of great rolls and bread.

iris lily
6-11-11, 9:07am
There is that bread recipe that everyone (but me!) have tried and raves about. It's all over the internet, but there was a great thread here about it where people shared their tweaks and tips for success.

Did we end up with a "best of" SLN forum? can't remember, but it should go there.

babr
6-11-11, 10:26am
thats great; its so wonderful and especially since dh no longer goes to the local bakery which charges an outragious fee for a small loaf of multigrain bread!

good luck; it takes some practice but fun; and your family will love the experiments

Maxamillion
6-11-11, 11:19am
It took me a few tries to get the hang of baking bread. For Christmas a couple of years ago, my mom gave me a silicone bread loaf pan, which has been great, no need to grease it at all, the bread pops right out. Following is a recipe I found on the Internet that works great for me. I always half the recipe and do all the kneading in the bowl for easier clean-up.

Amish White Bread (makes 2 loaves)--
2 cups warm water (110degrees)
1/2 cup white sugar
1 1/2 Tablespoons active dry yeast
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/4 cup vegetable oil
6 cups flour

In large bowl dissolve sugar in warm water then stir in yeast. Allow to proof until yeast resembles a creamy foam. Mix salt & oil into the yeast, mix in flour, one cup at a time. Knead dough on lightly floured surface until smooth. Place in well oiled bowl and turn dough to coat. Cover with damp cloth. Allow to rise until doubled, about 1 hour. Punch dough down, knead for a few minutes on lightly floured surface and divide in half. Shape into loaves and place into two well-oiled 9X5 inch loaf pans. Allow to rise for 30 minutes or until dough had risen 1 inch above pans. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.

razz
6-11-11, 7:58pm
Just wanted to add that today I made 50/50 white and wholewheat bread using my KitchenAid mixer for the kneading and made 4 loaves, one batch of rolls and a large pizza so my bread supply is good for about 3 weeks.

puglogic
6-11-11, 10:43pm
Hi Siouxzq, I always liked to make my own bread by hand, and still love to. It's meditative and good exercise! :) But when time is tight (those really taxing weeks) I use a bread machine I received for free on Freecycle. Not quite as good as the real thing, but still really tasty, and a loaf of all-organic multigrain bread costs less than a dollar to make (as opposed to the four dollars at the bakery).

SiouzQ.
6-12-11, 9:59am
Thanks everyone! I just realized I have too much stuff going on right now and won't be able to try it until after vacation in a few weeks but I'll have the rest of the summer to experiment with.

ctg492
6-30-11, 6:15am
I bake my own bread and have a KitchenAid, but used to knead it by hand and it is easy.
A very simple way to start out bread baking is following the book Artisan Bread in 5 Minutes a Day, by Jeff Hertzberg and Zoe Francois. It is easy and a way to have fresh bread daily.

redfox
6-30-11, 12:14pm
This book has great step-by-step instructions -
http://www.amazon.com/Tassajara-Bread-Book-Edward-Brown/dp/1590307046
I love this book - though you don't need the deluxe edition!

And here is my equipment list:
1 LARGE bowl (the recipe makes 4-6 loaves, though I usually halve it to make 3 loaves)
Whisk
Measuring cups - both liquid & solid
Spatula
Loaf pans
Kneading surface

That's it! Enjoy - it's a great process. Have lots of butter & honey on hand for fresh out-of-the-over bread.... yumm!

Here's a review of the book from the NYT:
http://www.cuke.com/bibliography/brown/Tass%20Bread%20Book%20NYT%20mag.html

treehugger
6-30-11, 12:14pm
A very simple way to start out bread baking is following the book Artisan Bread in 5 Minutes a Day, by Jeff Hertzberg and Zoe Francois. It is easy and a way to have fresh bread daily.

Agree completely with this. I just mix it in the container I store it in, with a spoon--no mixer or bread machine needed--in (seriously) less than 5 minutes, then I have bread dough whenever I want it for the next 1-2 weeks (depending on which recipe I used). It really couldn't be easier and it's delicious.

That book made from-scratch pizza a quick, easy, weeknight meal for me, and I will always be greatful to the authors for that.

Have fun with your experiments,
Kara

puglogic
6-30-11, 8:13pm
This book has great step-by-step instructions -
http://www.amazon.com/Tassajara-Bread-Book-Edward-Brown/dp/1590307046
I love this book - though you don't need the deluxe edition!

Edward Espe Brown is a god :) My copy is about a zillion years old, tattered, dog-eared, stained, and loved.

treehugger
7-1-11, 12:23pm
Tartine Bread just arrived in a the mail yesterday, a surprise gift from DH's uncles. I am so excited to sit down tonight and read it cover to cover. I admit, I am also sort of intimidated. I am comfortable with the (easy, foolproof) method in Artisan Bread in 5 Minutes, but moving on to more traditional levans and kneeding and proofing is completely foreign territory to me. But, I can't succeed if I don't even try (and fail a bunch), so, off I go. Even I can still afford flour, water, and salt.

Kara