PDA

View Full Version : Heading to Ireland

Reyes
6-11-11, 5:16pm
My DW, kids, and I are heading to Ireland for two weeks. Anyone been there? If so, any suggestions? I know driving on the other side of the road will be a challenge:-) We are staying in hostels for the entire trip, moving around every couple to three days.

Float On
6-11-11, 5:41pm
Have a great time. I'd love to go there.

porcelain
6-11-11, 6:16pm
Navigating the roundabouts while driving on the opposite side of the road is pretty challenging! I recommend checking out Mahon Falls, a lesser known natural beauty that I REALLY loved. Cliffs of Moher are awesome too, but it's almost always windy and raining there so be prepared. Ring of Kerry is a beautiful drive, and be prepared if you kiss the blarney stone that it's at the top of a castle with lots of small, winding, crumbling steps. Have fun!

razz
6-11-11, 7:42pm
Just enjoy yourself. I fell in love with the libraries which have such wonderful old books and the museums. I actually saw the Book of Kells.
Memorable moments:
- we went for a walk after arriving in Shannon and got lost with no Irish money but ended up at a pub where we were able to buy something to drink and get directions. It was wonderful to see the old farmhouses and barns closeup.
- standing at the point of departure for the Irish immigrants during the Irish famine and empathizing with the families who saw them leave and never saw them again.
- seeing and understanding that many of those in caravans now travelling the roads were former landholders who were dispossessed by the British
- enjoying the scenery and stopping to savour each moment.

You will love it so enjoy!

lhamo
6-11-11, 7:50pm
You should look up former member kshankar! She and her husband just moved to Dublin. He's blogging about it -- if you don't have her email you can probably contact them via his blog: anamericanindublin.com

I'm jealous, too! Haven't made it to Ireland yet. On the list.

lhamo

IshbelRobertson
6-12-11, 5:32pm
Plenty to see and do in Dublin, and the surrounding areas.
The Ring of Kerry
Cobh (Cove) where Irish emigrants left for the new world
Donegal - wild scenery and great craic!
Don't forget the 'other' Ireland, ie Northern Ireland. Some amazing natural beauty, too.

rose
6-13-11, 2:52pm
Consider using Rick Steve's book on travel to Ireland.

Took a walking tour of Trinity college in Dublin. Student-led. Free or almost free. Very good tour. We had a wonderful guide.

Enjoyed Wexford. Beautiful by the water.

Enjoyed Wicklow. Toured horse stables (race horse) and Japanese gardens. Neither are of particular interest to me but we had a wonderful day there for some reason. Might be out of your way.

COnsider touring Dingle Peninsula. Irish spoken there. If I remember it is the western-most part of Europe. "Next stop is Boston". Rick Steves recommends it as an alternative to Ring of Kerry. Dingle is less touristy. I enjoyed it.

Skip Waterford factory. Enjoyed the Cliffs of Mohr. Enjoyed Kilkenny. Enjoyed everything! The people are friendly and kind and the scenery is beautiful and the accents are fun. Loved touring castles. Like Galway. I didn't spend much time in Shannon -- just flew out of there.

Enjoy, enjoy. I would email home and say "are you sure I don't have Irish heritage?". Wanted to Irish so bad!

Reyes
6-13-11, 3:35pm
Thanks for the suggestions. And yes, we will spend about 1/2 of our time in Northern Ireland. I do like the Rick Steve's books. I used one when I went to Italy and found it very helpful. I will pick one up for this trip as well. This time next week I will be on the plane. Yay!

Bronxboy
6-14-11, 12:23am
On rental cars, I suggest a car with an automatic even if you drive a standard at home. I never truly got the hang of shifting opposite handed. Automatic cars also come with more realistic (larger) engine sizes for multiple passengers in a hilly country, for example 1.8 liter vs. 1.4 liters on a Focus.

Also, take the more expensive (100 Euro deductible) Collision Damage Waiver--ask me how I know.

Reyes
6-14-11, 12:33am
Also, take the more expensive (100 Euro deductible) Collision Damage Waiver--ask me how I know.

:-) Thanks for the heads-up. I will be the one driving (we don't want to pay extra to have a second driver) and I AM worried about the driving. And yes to the automatic, I can't imagine trying to add a stick-shift into the mix:-)

Bronxboy
6-16-11, 8:48pm
Let me add a couple of favorites:

Gougane Barra - a monastery site in County Cork.
http://www.cork-guide.ie/gouganebarra/gouganebarra.html

Rock of Cashel - a castle atop a rock outcrop in County Tipperary. Quite well-known.

I can second the Dingle Peninsula and the Cliffs of Moher.

On driving, the West of Ireland is particularly challenging due to curves and narrow roads. I found inland areas nearer Dublin, such as Counties Tipperary, Kildare, and Laois much easier.

treehugger
6-17-11, 11:58am
I've never been, so have no suggestions. I just wanted to add to the chorus of "Have a wonderful trip!" And, take lots of pictures.

Slainte,
Kara

Selah
7-25-11, 12:54pm
I lived in Ireland for six years. The Dundalk peninsula is beautiful and not very well-known, but it is only a couple of hours' drive up the coast road from Dublin. I lived in Omeath, County Lough, which is right on the border of Northern Ireland and did the shopping in Dundalk. Carlingford is a lovely little tourist town between the two, on the Carlingford Lough, which dumps out into the Irish Sea.

I lived in Kells for a year and did my shopping in Navan, County Meath. Both places are pretty dead, or at least they were in 1997, when my now-ex-husband and I moved there. There is a huge mass grave for victims of the Potato Famine just outside of Kells, which puts a kind of grim pall over the place.

During the marriage breakup, I lived in Dun Laoghaire, which is just south of Dublin. Sinead O'Connor lived just around the corner from me and every once in awhile you'd see her in the shop buying cigarettes! :) Bono had a big mansion just down the road, but you couldn't see in because it was blocked by a big entrance gate. It is a beautiful town, and is handy for the ferry if you want to go over to Wales on a day trip.

Sissy
7-25-11, 3:23pm
I am just so jealous :)