PDA

View Full Version : Fellow Canadians. Have YOU had enough of our Young Offenders Act?

Mrs-M
6-11-11, 9:31pm
What are your thoughts on this law and act? Ever since it passed it's been a thorn in my side! Honestly, I'd love to see a new law come into effect which would allow for the corporal punishment of such individuals. (As a starting point, canings)! Done publicly! Like Singapore practices.

This discussion is open to all (Canadian or otherwise), so please free to cut-in to the conversation at any time. Would love to hear everyone's ideas/thoughts on the matter.

Sick and tired of observing the younger generation running amok and getting away with murder, literally!

Kestra
6-12-11, 9:04am
The main thing I would like to see is the age ranges change - like the YOA applies to kids UNDER 12. And everyone else is tried as an adult, barring significant mental issues, which I think the courts take into consideration with adult crimes anyhow. However, I can see this being a problem as older kids would get even younger kids involved in their crimes so the younger kids would be covered under the YOA.

Overall I don't think it's the young offenders act that is to blame. It is the way society is run and teenagers are treated. I wish there were more options for kids - apprenticeships if they hate school-like activities. Actual jobs and education with some kind of significance to society. The ability to be emancipated, rent an apartment etc, be treated as an adult at a younger age if they wish. I just remember as a teenager feeling so out of control of my own life, regardless of my intelligence level. I was just lucky to have parents with good morals and no exposure to gangs or crime. Who knows what I would have done if it allowed me to gain more control over my own life, if I had been exposed to different things, possibly criminal.

goldensmom
6-12-11, 10:56am
What is it Mrs. M.? Can you give us southerners a Readers Digest version of the act?

flowerseverywhere
6-12-11, 8:10pm
Honestly, I'd love to see a new law come into effect which would allow for the corporal punishment of such individuals. (As a starting point, canings)! Done publicly! Like Singapore practices.

This is perhaps the most shocking and hideous statement I have ever read on this forum.

Mrs-M
6-12-11, 8:28pm
Kestra. Wow, you touch on a number of great points. Specialized programs being at the top. Just to touch on one of the reasons I started this thread, recently, in our area, about 40 homeowners of a neighbouring residential area awoke on Sunday morning to find that the tires on their vehicles had been slashed. The culprits (they figure two or more were involved) had systematically gone down each side of the street for several blocks and slashed (at will) any/all vehicles that just so happened to be in their path.

Parents are to blame also, as it's not uncommon to see young teens gallivanting around town and residential areas at all hours, weekends and weekdays. Restraint, control, and authority seems to lack in so many households nowadays. I'd hate to see a curfew instated because occurrences like this happen so rarely, but nonetheless they happen. Also, a few years ago our cemetery was the target of vandalism and destruction. Broken tombstones and monuments, so sad.

Goldensmom. In Canada, those caught doing dastardly deeds (under the age of 12) cannot be charged, and those under the age of 18 cannot be tried in the court of law as an adult, and are protected from having their names released to the media. These two examples only scratch the surface of this failed system, but hopefully it provides you with an idea as to how backwards and namby-pamby our legal system has become in certain areas.

Mrs-M
6-12-11, 8:59pm
Originally posted by Flowerseverywhere.
This is perhaps the most shocking and hideous statement I have ever read on this forum.
Ah yes, the bleeding-heart type response that I so often hear, cast from afar from someone who isn't directly affected. Question Flowerseverywhere. What's so "shocking" about corporal punishment? And why is my statement "hideous"? Because I don't fall under the namby-pamby crowd of coddling these people and catering to them? Providing them with preferential treatment when the chips fall? Well that's right, I don't, and I never will.

Jubilation is what I felt when Michael Peter Fay (a US kid) decided vandalism was in order while visiting Singapore and subsequently, was caned for his poor decision making. Bet Mr. Fay won't visit Singapore again and repeat his deed!

Mrs-M
6-12-11, 9:13pm
To add, the only thing I find "shocking" and "hideous", is societies present day generation of namby-pamby gooders.

Tradd
6-12-11, 10:56pm
To add, the only thing I find "shocking" and "hideous", is societies present day generation of namby-pamby gooders.

Yep!

Mrs - M, here in the States, depending on the crime and the state, teenagers, I believe as young as 15 can be tried as adults. If they are in the juvie system, their names aren't released. But you will definitely get names and such if the teens are charged in the regular criminal system.

Mrs-M
6-13-11, 12:00am
Tradd. Your system sounds much better than ours. I say if the crime fits the bill, age be-damned! And as far as releasing names publicly is concerned, no such law should be allowed to exist.

iris lily
6-13-11, 12:06am
Speaking of namby-pamby Canadian law leniency toward offenders (well you brought it up!) has anyone seen the film Dear Zachary? That Canadian judge who let the evil murdering woman go is SO much the villain of that film. NO spoilers for that, please!

Mrs-M
6-13-11, 12:22am
I haven't Iris, but don't get me started on our namby-pamby legal system! :laff: I quite literally drive my husband NUTS over it sometimes. Going to do a Google search on it.

Mrs-M
6-13-11, 1:21am
Yes, this is me LC, the same old Mrs-M! :) I honestly don't see the correlation between spanking (parenting) and the corporal punishment of an adult. The two are miles apart. I think there's a definite benefit to certain forms of corporal punishment practiced in other countries. (And no, I have not changed my ways or my stance as to how I feel about spanking). I am devoutly against it in every way.

Little story to share. A neighbour of ours (old neighbourhood) caught two kids (early teens) breaking into a neighbours vehicle. Rather than phone the cops, he nabbed 'em (both of them), threw them into his car, and drove them straight to the Police station. The kids were booked and low and behold about 6 months later, a court hearing!

Our neighbour was summoned as a witness and testified against the older of the two. Of course this was pre-YOA days. Anyhow, the case was published in the local paper and according to our old neighbour, the kids parents thanked him for intervening in the waiting room, as did the Judge in the court room.

Now our neighbour could have gave the two boys a good old-fashioned lickin' a peace, which for a few of the other neighbours would have been their choice in how to deal with the matter, but our neighbour chose the honorable way.

Nonetheless, we never read about those kids again and although that doesn't go to say those kids never got into trouble again, I think the strict approach of our old neighbour followed by the court of law worked wonders in this case. (Early education for the both of them). A good head-start if you will!

Just wondering LC, but when I promote the likes of corporal punishment, do you somehow construe that as being a beating rather than a form of correction/education? What part is it about our current, failing, inadequate, asinine, totally a$$ backwards, namby-pamby legal system that everyone thinks is working so well? It's a failed system from the get-go and it's getting worse by the minute.

Mrs-M
6-13-11, 1:21am
Oh LC, you deleted your entry. Why? It was good.

loosechickens
6-13-11, 1:44am
I'm sorry, Mrs-M.....I deleted it before I saw your answer.......I re-read it and it sounded a little confrontative in print, and that wasn't how I meant it, so just decided not to join in the discussion, especially since I'm not even Canadian.

I was just surprised, given your complete turn around in your attitudes about spanking, to see you advocating something like Singapore's system, which is far more severe than "spanking" and does seem to fit the "beating" sort of definition.

I'm just one who does not think that violence promotes anything other than violence, and when someone stronger, or more in authority resorts to it, the only message that is sent, to my mind, is that physical hitting is acceptable and useful, which when the person chastized gets big enough or powerful enough, then chooses as a way for him or her to assert his or her dominance. Just not all that useful, IMHO.

I don't know what changes have been made recently in the Canadian system, so am not qualified to comment on that.....was just surprised that although you changed your mind regarding spanking and decided that it was not effective, but somehow thought the Singapore system of public canings was appropriate, that's all.

goldensmom
6-13-11, 7:05am
Yep!

Mrs - M, here in the States, depending on the crime and the state, teenagers, I believe as young as 15 can be tried as adults. If they are in the juvie system, their names aren't released. But you will definitely get names and such if the teens are charged in the regular criminal system.
Yes, Tradd, that is correct about being tried as an adult. Also, juvenile court hearings here are open unless closed by the judge so even though the names are not release to the public if one attends the hearing they can spread the word. Young children can be charged and be placed in foster care or a juvenile facility. I’ve seen kids turn around, go to college and become productive adults. I’ve also seen kids go through the system, age out and return to their delinquent roots. Where two might receive the same treatment they can turn out differently. No system is guaranteed - I think it really depends on the youth not the system because in the end you cannot force the youth to respond/turn out the way you want. Juvenile files are closed and can be expunged when the youth turns 18 and is released from state jurisdiction but word of mouth history is never silent.

Corporal punishment is legal in the family setting (not schools, etc.) as long as it does not result in injury, then it becomes abuse. When I was in elementary school, my teacher ‘beat’ a fellow student (don’t remember the offense) because corporal punishment was legal in schools back then. Scared the bejeebies out of me. That teacher is now in her 90’s and tiny in stature but I still cringe when I see her.

flowerseverywhere
6-13-11, 8:10am
Ah yes, the bleeding-heart type response that I so often hear, cast from afar from someone who isn't directly affected. Question Flowerseverywhere. What's so "shocking" about corporal punishment? And why is my statement "hideous"? Because I don't fall under the namby-pamby crowd of coddling these people and catering to them? Providing them with preferential treatment when the chips fall? Well that's right, I don't, and I never will.

Jubilation is what I felt when Michael Peter Fay (a US kid) decided vandalism was in order while visiting Singapore and subsequently, was caned for his poor decision making. Bet Mr. Fay won't visit Singapore again and repeat his deed!

If you grew up as an abused child as I was any time you heard of physical punishment you would be physically ill. It isn't the physical scars that I carry that are troublesome it is the emotional scars. When my parents died I cried, not because they were dead but because I knew they could never hurt me again. Add to that being taught by the nuns who had no problem using paddles, pulling our hair or hitting us with rulers and you create a terrified child.
Unfortunately people who are abused often become abusers or are in relationships with abusers, and the cycle goes on and on unless someone breaks the chain. I was one of the fortunate ones who got help to break the chain.
I don't expect anyone to understand but that's OK. We all are the sum of our experiences for better or for worse.

by the way it is impolite to call people names.

Zoe Girl
6-13-11, 3:25pm
I can understand that people who were abused would not want to hear anything about corporal punishment. It has got to be difficult. However I am in the second camp. I never spanked (okay once or so for running into the street) my kids, used logical consequences, talked things out, didn;t rescue them from their actions as much as possible, but also have kids with depression so we have some issues.

However right now if i could seriously use corporal punishment effectively with my kids I would. I am so over and done with the teen stuff. they are able to understand responsibility in order to work jobs and have friends and drive well on the roads but not follow a few really simple (if unusual) rules. I have some backlog on these issues because I have had issue with multiple people over many many years so my patience is VERY worn out. So yeah, I wm going from hippy mom to 'attend school and do enough to pass (I pay the tuition for every class my dd fails) or get an immediate physical consequence'. Never thought I would get here, never thought my kids would do these things.

edited to add: I have not hit anyone but we are going to counselinf today

flowerseverywhere
6-14-11, 8:51am
Zoe girl, thanks for your different perspective. I am glad you are seeking counseling. There are many challenges to our youth today- especially our leaders (and many parents) who are not setting a good example on how to behave with all the greed, uncontrolled sexual impulses, lying, cheating etc. I just don't think adding public humiliation and physical punishment on top of it will be much of a help.

Everywhere you look there are adults not thinking of their actions and the outcome. For example yesterday I happened to see two of my neighbors who are teachers and I had noticed they were home all day. I asked them if everything was all right and one of them said "we called in sick because we had some unused sick time" and this was in front of their kids. So the message to the kids is lie, say you are sick because you don't feel like going to work even though there are less than two weeks left of school.
And we have the famous sex exploits of many of our elected officials.
What about your kids reading every day how people are walking away from their financial obligations- if you are unemployed or underemployed through no fault of your own and your house is upside down, that's one thing, but if you took every penny out of your house for fancy vacations and cars and now aren't meeting your obligations like some people I know then it is not morally right, even if it is legally right.

A very difficult time I think.

redfox
6-14-11, 11:13am
Here is an article from the American Psychological Association website regarding corporal punishment. The authors surveyed 88 studies done over 62 years for this article.

http://www.apa.org/news/press/releases/2002/06/spanking.aspx

Personally, I cannot imagine hitting anyone, much less someone I love. We raised our children to be respectful, and that included us modeling respect for them by respecting their physical safety and boundaries.

They definitely tested their boundaries, as is the job description of a teen, and our job as parents was to set up appropriate consequences. We had plenty of options, and never once did it occur to me to hit them - the thought makes me nauseous.

Juicifer
6-14-11, 1:55pm
I am not 100% against the Young Offenders Act. For the only reason that these kids sometimes hardly oversee what they do. For the rest I second Kestra in this: It is the way society is run and teenagers are treated.

The main thing I would like to see is the age ranges change - like the YOA applies to kids UNDER 12. And everyone else is tried as an adult, barring significant mental issues, which I think the courts take into consideration with adult crimes anyhow. However, I can see this being a problem as older kids would get even younger kids involved in their crimes so the younger kids would be covered under the YOA.

Overall I don't think it's the young offenders act that is to blame. It is the way society is run and teenagers are treated. I wish there were more options for kids - apprenticeships if they hate school-like activities. Actual jobs and education with some kind of significance to society. The ability to be emancipated, rent an apartment etc, be treated as an adult at a younger age if they wish. I just remember as a teenager feeling so out of control of my own life, regardless of my intelligence level. I was just lucky to have parents with good morals and no exposure to gangs or crime. Who knows what I would have done if it allowed me to gain more control over my own life, if I had been exposed to different things, possibly criminal.

Mrs-M
6-14-11, 7:14pm
Fair enough LC. :) There's a little something I overlooked mentioning about my take on crime, particularly the YOA, and that is, it's a major hobby horse of mine! The talks and debates and conversations we have in our house about it... Woo-who! (DH and I specifically, but the older kids do participate). We always seems to be able to walk away revitalized afterwards, but occasionally the heat does get turned up! :laff:

Excellent point Re: violence not cancelling out violence, but I've reached a point where I'm ready to see change, BIG CHANGE! So sick of our "poor little Johnny" system. Not that I'm looking to bring the spanking debate into this convo, but ever notice how justice (government and other departments) just love getting their foot in the door of our homes? It's happening with spanking, repeated reviews and attempts by opponents of such, and steadily and surely, the constant and continued kerfuffle it's drawing major support and momentum. Pretty soon parents will have their hands tied altogether with in the discipline department, while little Johnny (still in a crib) works on his policy instated head-start allowing him to define his personal self (early) through ill-expression and unrestrained exertion. At times I ask myself, "who's raising our children"? Some bleeding-heart member of parliament who's got some sort of hangup in relation to giving Johnny a good spank on the behind every once in a while when needed? Or, are "we" the parents raising our children? If indeed it is we the parents in charge, then leave us alone and allow us (responsible parents who recognize and know the difference between abuse and a simple pop on the butt) to do our jobs.

I do recognize the fact that Singapore's caning law is harsh and maybe even a little barbaric for our times, but when I think about the insurmountable numbers of families who have lost loved ones due to some YO bent on destruction, or the personal property of hard working people being destroyed at will "just because", my feelings towards such a harsh penalty remind me that it's a good thing. (You want to cause pain and hardship to others, OK then, but when the chips fall and we catch up with you....., pain, suffering, and hardship, will in turn be brought down on you). So save the crocodile tears for your mommy once you get back home, cause your butt is now legally ours! "Ours", the Canadian people deserving of a more stringent, strict, and no-nonsense alternative to what we currently have in place as of now.

Mrs-M
6-14-11, 7:36pm
Goldensmom. Poor classmate. But, (heavy on the butt, pardon the pun), the strap sure made one heck of an impression on students looking to stray outside of collective school-house rules as I can remember. I never got the strap nor do I know of anyone who did, but it sure was the talk of the school back then (early 1970's).

Gosh, hate to do it again, but I have to touch on spanking once more (albeit briefly). Seems young children I see today acting up, throwing temper-tantrums, and generally being unruly while out in public, don't receive any form of "correction" at home, because if they did they wouldn't act the way they do while out. Back when I was a kid if mom told us to "knock-it-off", we knocked-it-off (and quick), cause if we didn't we got our bottoms warmed when we got home! I'm not saying the old way is good or even right, but somehow when I observe what I'm observing nowadays, I see a failing structure of control and direction in today's style of modern day parenting. In a lot of ways I struggle to find good in any of it...

Mrs-M
6-14-11, 8:01pm
Flowerseverywhere. I am very sorry to hear of your upbringing. No child deserves to be abused. Your post really hits home with me because my youngest two children were abused (pre-Mrs-M's house). But once I had the babes safely in my care we all waved goodbye to the abuse. I'm really, really, really hoping that both boys (being they were so young when it all took place) have developed beyond remembering. (Fingers crossed).

Just to let you know Flowerseverywhere, I still have nightmares along with ill thoughts and bad feelings surrounding one particular spanking I witnessed happen on my youngest, so not only does abuse affect the child involved, it also effects those all around.

In my mentioning "namby-pamby crowd", I used the expression loosely as a result of my frustration over people on the other side (the far side, in favour of our continued faltered system). My apologies.

Mrs-M
6-14-11, 8:21pm
Zoe Girl. I spanked, but nothing traumatic or serious. (Pants-dustings they were)! :laff: In fact I recall my youngest son (our last born- forth child) waking up one morning and making a beeline straight for me (the morning after the previous day he had received a spanking from me), and the first words out of his mouth were, "that spanking didn't hurt me you know mom"..... Talk about punch me in the guts! There I sat on the kitchen chair, staring at this cute little kid dressed in pj's, his big round eyes sparkling, and I thought, "uhhh, poor kid thinks I wanted to hurt him by paddling his butt". That was the last spanking he got. The last spanking I ever gave. (Big turning point for me). With the two baby boys already settled into our house at the time, I felt there was no better time than to bring to an end my old outdated ways.

Anyhow, I know exactly how you feel Re: corporal punishment of your teens. I really do think it's something many of us moms go through for a time while they create turbulence and turmoil! :) Sending you a warm hug of support to help guide you through these tough and challenging times.

Mrs-M
6-14-11, 8:33pm
Redfox. I completely and totally understand the indifference's (opinions) that arise as a result of varying and different parenting styles. I commend you and your husband for approaching discipline in your home with a lighter touch. If I could start all over again and retrace my steps leading up to now, today, I too would follow the same course/direction/path as you.

The link to the article you posted is a welcome addition. Can't wait to finish up tonight's supper dishes then sit down and read it with a delectable cup of tea in hand! Thanks for that.

Mrs-M
6-14-11, 8:44pm
Originally posted by Juicifer.
I am not 100% against the Young Offenders Act. For the only reason that these kids sometimes hardly oversee what they do.Yes, hardly oversee what they do and almost never held responsible. That's where my ugly side kicks in, the side of me that calls out and says, "let's get strict with this bunch"! But out of all honesty, this is just one more of those age old arguments that no matter which side one chooses, there will always be critics (on both sides) waiting to chastise and ostracize. Maybe that's what makes it fun although, hearing from both sides in the case, knowing neither will ever truly welcome the other. :) To be continued...

Mrs-M
6-14-11, 8:54pm
Flowerseverywhere. Just wanted to send a warm and loving hug your way, too! Maybe, even though we live miles apart, you too can send a warm hug our way and in turn I'll catch it, and when I gather up my two youngest this evening to see them off to bed, I can give each of them a piece of the warm hug you sent.

redfox
6-14-11, 9:17pm
Redfox. I completely and totally understand the indifference's (opinions) that arise as a result of varying and different parenting styles. I commend you and your husband for approaching discipline in your home with a lighter touch. If I could start all over again and retrace my steps leading up to now, today, I too would follow the same course/direction/path as you.

The link to the article you posted is a welcome addition. Can't wait to finish up tonight's supper dishes then sit down and read it with a delectable cup of tea in hand! Thanks for that.

Thanks, Mrs. M. I appreciate your kind response. I look forward to hearing your thoughts. We got lucky, my DH & I - both of us come from generations of abuse, and each generation vowed to stop what they had experienced, and did... but it takes many years and generations for the impacts to disappear altogether.

Our children - his actually, my steps - came from a grievously abusive home wherein their mother did little to protect them from a gun-toting abuser. It is bone chilling to hear what they saw & lived through. We stepped in, and at some point my SD reported to us that when she was 11, she got in between her mother's husband, who was 6 feet tall, and her mom, who is 5'2", and he had a gun. I cannot tell you what this did to both her father and to me. Many a weekend we sobbed in each others arms after handing them back to their mother to go home to that horrific man their mom had married. I won't go into more details. It was very bad.

When the kids came to live with us, we leaped into protective re-parenting; we worked hard to give them love, security, decent food, calm family life, and structure, structure, structure. There were some awful acting out times - my SS started cutting himself in 8th grade - the year he became sexually active with an older girl... he was a food hoarder... the ramifications of the abuse were apparent. We got into family therapy and made it through. They are amazing people. I know my SS makes choices I wish he would not - I believe he self-medicates his anxiety with marijuana, which in Seattle is not a big deal - but it does affect his brain. They both know we will pay for therapy anytime they need it. The day will come when they will ask...

I love these two people more than I ever thought possible. I want to protect them and make sure they feel safe in a hostile world. I could no more hurt them than I could hurt my own mother... and I am a stern parent! My SD threw a COMPLETE fit when I laid down the law of no BF's overnight!! You would have thought I'd told her to sleep on the street corner. And she survived it... I am actually a conservative parent.

Okay, enough. Time for dinner.... thanks for "listening".

flowerseverywhere
6-14-11, 10:38pm
Flowerseverywhere. Just wanted to send a warm and loving hug your way, too! Maybe, even though we live miles apart, you too can send a warm hug our way and in turn I'll catch it, and when I gather up my two youngest this evening to see them off to bed, I can give each of them a piece of the warm hug you sent.
Thank you.

Mrs-M
6-15-11, 9:47am
Good morning Redfox. :) Have to say, shame on me! Last night I stayed on the board WAY too long and by the time I finished up the supper dishes and folded a load of laundry, it was bedtime! Never even got to visit the site you posted, so tonight while DH is watching the hockey game I'll be reading the article.

I relate to so many things you talk about in your post. It's almost as if you lived my situation and I lived yours... There was a period that lasted for about 3-4 months where we'd take in the babies for a weekend or for a week (or so) at a stretch, then have to return them, and that used to do me in. Even for the few days the boys would be with us, I could see big changes in them. They were actually happy again and acted like kids should act, free and non-caring. At home they spent hours upon hours couped up in their cribs, soaking wet and soiled, and who knows what else! I put in many crying moments. Frustration, anger, guilt, I lived through it all.

I believe there's a special kind of love along with a special kind of strength that comes about when caring people (like you and I) see a child or children neglected and know we can help. It's not even learned per se, it's just there, as if dropped in our laps. There were actually times I felt as though someone had a hold of my hand and wouldn't let go. They, it, whoever, whatever, would guide me in whatever direction I needed to be that particular day. It was magical in the sense that it was one of the few things that actually allowed and helped me cope with and deal with everything that was going on.

After we moved the babies in with us, a Family Care & Child Support Service came into our lives (to our rescue) to help settle and adjust the boys into their new environment. (Lots of things going on with the boys at first). What a big plus for me that was. Waking up in the morning knowing there would be a care-worker in my midst for a few hours each day helping out with the babies, helping me, and just being there for everyone in the home (whoever needed it). The conversations we had and moments we shared.

I'm so glad you and your husband persevered and seen things through. I often wonder how many times this happens each day (around the world), where loving and caring people accept and adopt and take in children needing love, and care, and safety. I particularly admire you Redfox, in the sense of having all of the necessary requirements and attributes any parent could ever have. Being thrust into motherhood overnight and all (whew), that's a huge monumental transition to make. I'm not so sure I would have been able to conquer that title as bravely as you did. What a gigantic step! So proud of you I am, and so very happy it makes me to know this world has the likes of people like you.

redfox
6-15-11, 10:51am
Thanks, ditto. How old are your boys now? The call to care for kids - and each other - is built into us, IMHO, and has to be extinguished by horrible circumstances in order to disappear. We're at our roots a caring, collaborative species, and have survived for millennia by cooperation and community. I'm deeply grateful to have had positive parenting as models. I do have an older child, an adoptee from Guatemala. She's the mother of my 4 year old grandson. (Visualize beaming eyes here!) SHe's 27, and pretty darn amazing.

My DH got news last night that his 18 year old son has just been diagnosed with a chronic rheumatoid illness. It was hard to hear. No wonder he has been self-medicating. I thought it was anxiety; I now suspect it's also pain. So glad we're buying his health insurance for him, as he moved out on his own last fall. He'll come over tomorrow, and we can find out more. He's a sweet young man... now he will have to negotiate a lifetime of self-care to manage this illness. Life is unpredictable.

I hope your day goes well! Blessings.

treehugger
6-15-11, 12:06pm
This discussion is open to all (Canadian or otherwise), so please free to cut-in to the conversation at any time. Would love to hear everyone's ideas/thoughts on the matter.

Ah yes, the bleeding-heart type response that I so often hear, cast from afar from someone who isn't directly affected.

The juxtiposition of those two statements gave me my first laugh of the morning, so thanks! All are welcome! Well, except those namby-pamby bleeding hearts who aren't directly affected. ;)

Giggling,
Kara

Mrs-M
6-16-11, 3:10pm
Redfox. They are 6 and 5 now! :) The youngest one being the family clown and character! He was just 15 months when he came into our lives. I remember the scramble that took place. Packing the two old baby cribs back upstairs again (from the basement) and scrubbing them down with Pine-Sol, gathering up crib bedding, sheets, clothing, diapers, bottles, and anything/everything else needed to settle the babies in, then organizing a place for everything (and everyone), and then, trying to jostle rooms around (and occupants) to accommodate our new additions! It was fun and exciting in a lot of ways but stressful in others. Our house was abuzz with people and excitement for weeks after, family, friends, and neighbours all dropping by to visit, people offering their help and support. Really helped make me realize how much support and care we had.

Sometimes (I find) seeing my children age so quickly is bittersweet. On one hand I'm enjoying seeing everyone mature and grow, but on the other hand it's depressing knowing I'm not getting any younger. Time seems to go by so fast these days. Years ago I remember waiting for Christmas to arrive, now (so it seems) I just finish packing everything up for the season and BOOM! There it is again, Christmas (and all it glories), staring me square in the face again. A whole year having gone by and passed, leaving me saying to myself (as always), "where did the time go"? "Where did the year go"? Do you ever find yourself thinking/feeling the same Red? Does it have a bittersweet effect on you too, like it does on me?

(Sending well thoughts and wishes your way, and a special prayer of hope, good health, and happiness to your son).

Mrs-M
6-16-11, 3:14pm
Treehugger. Now that you point it out, it is rather funny isn't it! In fact it's hilarious! :laff: This is my laugh for today too!