PDA

View Full Version : worst song ever

kally
6-11-11, 11:52pm
tonight on the radio they had a worst song mail in thing. THis song, Honey, by Bobby Goldsboro got a lot of slots. I loved it as a kid, but I do think it is really awful (feel free to disagree)

The only thing that could make it worse is this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKltnWEcWUM

What is your worst song?

ApatheticNoMore
6-12-11, 2:20am
Yea, that is a pretty bad song.

boss mare
6-12-11, 2:37am
worse song ever that's easy... You Light Up My Life...

Sad Eyed Lady
6-12-11, 9:48am
I vote for "Old Black Betty" - just get that thing stuck in your head at 3 a.m.!

iris lily
6-12-11, 10:10am
Honey is very stupid, I hated it even as a teen.

That song with the refrain "Sylvia's mother..." (is that the name of the song?) came immediately to mind.

Now, You Light up My Life is a pretty melody and I don't pay attention to words, and back then as a teen I knew that Debbie Boone was to be made fun of, but still, I liked the melody, and still do like it.

madgeylou
6-12-11, 10:48am
oh, there are so many contenders! but i'm gonna have to go with "nothin's gonna stop us now" by jefferson starship. just awful. when i look back at most 80s stuff, even if i hated it at the time, i can appreciate it nostalgically. but, somehow, not this one. i won't post a link because i don't want to see grace's terrible hair and outfit even for a minute!

goldensmom
6-12-11, 10:54am
I’m an instrumentalist and rarely listen to words of popular songs. I like the music to both ‘Honey’ and ‘You Light Up My Life’ in a Percy Faith/easy listening kind of way. Now if you’re talking show tunes/musicals, I do know the words to those types of songs but can’t think of any worst show tune lyrics although I’m sure there are some.

catherine
6-12-11, 10:59am
I remember a lot of really bad novelty songs from the 60s, like:

They're Coming to Take Me Away
Does Your Chewing Gum Lose Its Flavor on the Bedpost Overnight?
She Can't Find her Keys

There were a couple of stupid, but fun ones, too like
Itsy Bitsy Teeny Weeny Yellow Polka-Dot Bikini
Tie Me Kangaroo Down Sport
Hello Muddah, Hello Faddah

I know I'll think of some other songs I hate--unfortunately they'll probably be country songs (sorry, country-song lovers). Country songs are GREAT when they're good, but AWFUL when they're bad.

JaneV2.0
6-12-11, 12:28pm
The Rose, Feelings, or anything by Barry Manilow. Having My Baby.
And what was that awful song about a horse lost in a snowstorm?

Alan
6-12-11, 1:10pm
Wildfire?

My vote goes to "I'm too sexy" by Right Said Fred

creaker
6-12-11, 1:20pm
The Rose, Feelings, or anything by Barry Manilow. Having My Baby.

I think it was Wildflower. Truly a time for awful music on the radio. Reminded me of the "please come to Boston in the springtime..." one. Yuk.

mermaid
6-12-11, 2:30pm
Oh, man, I loved Wildfire.

My worst song is "Someone Left the Cake Out In the Rain". Blech.

goldensmom
6-12-11, 2:37pm
Wildfire?

I do remember the nonsensical words to 'I'm Too Sexy' because it played continuously when I worked out at a health club years ago. Stupid song but a great beat for a StairMaster workout. No words but 'Gonna Fly Now', the theme from Rocky got annoying real fast at the health club. Really now, how many times can one mentally run up and down the Philadelphia Art Museum steps?

Bastelmutti
6-12-11, 2:39pm
Sorry, Bob Dylan fans, but mine is that Christmas song he came out with a year or two ago. Just miserable. A friend showed us the video on YouTube. Ugh!

Wildflower
6-12-11, 4:38pm
Oh c'mon, Wildfire is an awesome song! :) I loved it when I was a teenager.

I remember that Honey song used to make me very sad whenever I heard it on the radio when I was a kid. :( ;)

The worst song ever in my mind is Mandy by Barry Manilow. :D

crunchycon
6-12-11, 7:10pm
"It's Magic" by Pilot and anything by England Dan and John Ford Coley. And, while "Honey" is really absymal, my vote goes to Mr. Goldsboro's classic "Watching Scotty Grow." Great picks, everyone!

The Storyteller
6-13-11, 12:46am
I loved Honey.

Worst song pick, "Okie From Muskogee".

The Storyteller
6-13-11, 12:48am
But this has to be in the top ten...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XC73PHdQX04

kally
6-13-11, 2:53am
While we are on Star Trek, how about Bill Shatner and Mr. Tambourine Man

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekMYBvhhMg0&feature=related

Stella
6-13-11, 12:05pm
I am going to nominate Bless Your Beautiful Hide from Seven Brides for Seven Brothers. For some bizarre reason my husband and one of my best friend's love that movie, the worst piece of musical theater ever, IMO, and ever since we watched it two years ago DH has taken to whistling it habitually. So flipping irritating. He is an absolute Gem of a man in every other sense, but this particular habit is maddening.

leslieann
6-13-11, 12:42pm
Oh, yes, the Shatner version.....lovely! I heard Randy's show last night on Radio Two...some of the worst picks were really terrible but some of the best picks were not all that great. It was fun to see my 14 year old DSD's face as she had her first listen to the Captain and Tennile's timeless classic, Muskrat Love.....hehehe.

Alan
6-13-11, 1:21pm
I heard Randy's show last night on Radio Two...some of the worst picks were really terrible but some of the best picks were not all that great.

That reminds me of a personal observation regarding music. I believe that some of the very best songs, and some of the very worst songs, are written/composed & sung by the same people. Consider Paul Simon, He is either excellent (The Boxer, Bridge Over Troubled Waters, The Sound of Silence, American Tune, Duncan) or terrible (50 Ways to Leave Your Lover, Kodachrome, Me & Julio Down By The Schoolyard). I can't decide if he's a genius or an idiot.

The Storyteller
6-13-11, 1:24pm
That reminds me of a personal observation regarding music. I believe that some of the very best songs, and some of the very worst songs, are written/composed & sung by the same people. Consider Paul Simon, He is either excellent (The Boxer, Bridge Over Troubled Waters, The Sound of Silence, American Tune, Duncan) or terrible (50 Ways to Leave Your Lover, Kodachrome, Me & Julio Down By The Schoolyard). I can't decide if he's a genius or an idiot.

Gee, I like all those songs.

puglogic
6-13-11, 3:24pm
Me too :(

"Worst" is so subjective, pretty useless really. Now "I hate X," now there's something you can sink your teeth into.

I really hate this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CD2LRROpph0 and it makes me want to shoot myself to stop the pain.

kally
6-13-11, 3:56pm
waah your video is not available in Canada. Now I really want to see it.

Me too :(

"Worst" is so subjective, pretty useless really. Now "I hate X," now there's something you can sink your teeth into.

I really hate this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CD2LRROpph0 and it makes me want to shoot myself to stop the pain.

kally
6-13-11, 3:57pm
Yeah that was it, Vinyl Tap. Some of the best were absolutely NOT my favourites in any way. The muskrats did make an interesting noise didn't they?

Oh, yes, the Shatner version.....lovely! I heard Randy's show last night on Radio Two...some of the worst picks were really terrible but some of the best picks were not all that great. It was fun to see my 14 year old DSD's face as she had her first listen to the Captain and Tennile's timeless classic, Muskrat Love.....hehehe.

benhyr
6-13-11, 4:16pm
My worsts...

For "mainstream music with lyrics that irk me", I'd have to go with Alanis Morrisette - Ironic: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jne9t8sHpUc a song that has bad luck, poor timing, and "that's just life" but no irony. If I thought it was a post-modern take on being ironic by singing a song about irony with no irony in it then I might feel differently.

For "currently trendy to hate music with lyrics that irk me", I'd have to mention Rebecca Black - Friday: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CD2LRROpph0 but only because I hadn't seen it mentioned in the thread yet. A paraphrase of two verses "Yesterday was Thursday. Today is Friday. Tomorrow is Saturday and Sunday comes next"

For "worst song in a musical released by Troma", I'm going with Let's Build a Snowman from Cannibal! The Musical.

For "worst song to ever get trendy on Oprah"... Macarena

For "worst catchy song that played nearly non-stop in the electronics department at Wal-Mart when I worked there" - Cotton Eye Joe by Rednex: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDdlHmzIdn8

edit: oops, I see puglogic did give a shoutout to Rebecca Black... so I'll also throw in the death metal remix http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4O1i0z9Zy9s and a hipster remix http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxleH60hDJY (Matt Mulholland is absolutely brilliant and his stuff is hilarious)

kally
6-13-11, 5:40pm
oh Cotton Eye Joe, never seen it before, it is so skanky it is great in it's badness.

kally
6-13-11, 5:43pm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSt2RoZ8Ek4

hamster love, parody of muskrat love.

Miss Cellane
6-13-11, 6:50pm
I am going to nominate Bless Your Beautiful Hide from Seven Brides for Seven Brothers. For some bizarre reason my husband and one of my best friend's love that movie, the worst piece of musical theater ever, IMO, and ever since we watched it two years ago DH has taken to whistling it habitually. So flipping irritating. He is an absolute Gem of a man in every other sense, but this particular habit is maddening.

My brothers, who hate all musicals, love the dance scene at the barn raising, where you have to admit there's some pretty good dancing. I figure that's part of the problem with the movie--they had to cast good dancers who were mediocre actors.

As for worst song, what about that one with the "dead skunk in the middle of the road" refrain?

The Storyteller
6-13-11, 11:15pm
As for worst song, what about that one with the "dead skunk in the middle of the road" refrain?

What is wrong with you people???

Tradd
6-13-11, 11:24pm
worse song ever that's easy... You Light Up My Life...

And I was just coming here to mention this song!

My mother actually had the 45!

libby
6-13-11, 11:28pm
Macho macho man....I want to be a macho mannnn!! What a stupid song.

Tradd
6-13-11, 11:34pm
Another Star Trek one. Leonard Nimoy doesn't sing it, but he's the star of the video. Watch for William Shatner on the TV!

http://youtu.be/dULOjT9GYdQ

JaneV2.0
6-13-11, 11:53pm
I loved the Village People--even contemplating Macho Man makes me long for a disco ball!

iris lily
6-13-11, 11:57pm

For the idiot list include "You Can Call Me Al" or "At the Zoo." For the excellent list, add "I am A Rock" and "Emily's Song." Mr. Simon is--prolific and will produce as much drek as good stuff. As a lifelong Simon fan I agree with Alan's list--he jumped the shark with those. Hey Storyteller, what do you think of someone making a picture book out of Simon's "At the Zoo?" Well, they did and it's stupid. But still I bought it and got Paul to sign it when I met him. I've got a small collection of Simon trinkets and am talking to rock music autograph vendors about it, but no luck so far. I don't want much for it, I just want this stuff to go into the hands of someone who appreciates it. That is no longer me.

iris lily
6-14-11, 12:01am
Macho macho man....I want to be a macho mannnn!! What a stupid song.

but that's gay camp, it's not supposed to be serious. It's a fun (and stupid) dance song played about a bezillion times at gay clubs everywhere.

Those songs like "Honey" make me barf, sentimentalism just gives me the willies.

ApatheticNoMore
6-14-11, 1:22am
Loveshack - now that's a pretty horrible song
Dude Looks Like a Lady - ugh

Oh and I agree about The Rose - terrible.

Greg44
6-14-11, 2:48am
Most all of the Beatles songs with one liners that repeat themselves over and over and over..."Let it be, Let it be...comes to mind.

catherine
6-14-11, 7:13am
Most all of the Beatles songs with one liners that repeat themselves over and over and over..."Let it be, Let it be...comes to mind.

Are you kidding me, Greg?? You are NOT saying that Let It Be is a stupid song??!!!! It should be a hymn. In my opinion the repetition serves a purpose. So, is Robert Frost's poem stupid because it repeats "And miles to go before I sleep"? And is The Raven stupid because it repeats "Quoth the Raven, Nevermore"?

Let It Be is one of the songs that continues to impact my life. If I were to have a memorial service someday, that's one of the songs I want played.

iris lily
6-14-11, 8:06am
Loveshack - now that's a pretty horrible song
Dude Looks Like a Lady - ugh

Oh and I agree about The Rose - terrible.

oh noooo, I LOVE Loveshack!

IshbelRobertson
6-14-11, 8:18am
Almost anything by Andy Stewart (Mark1, not Mark2!) - titles include 'Scottish soldier', 'Donald where's your troosers', 'Campbelltown Loch' and too many more that pandered to the wanabee Scottish markets!:laff::D

madgeylou
6-14-11, 8:57am

i like that song as long as i don't have to watch paul make that face!

i like this version quite a lot:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WmVd9F1fW00

catherine
6-14-11, 8:58am
Almost anything by Andy Stewart (Mark1, not Mark2!) - titles include 'Scottish soldier', 'Donald where's your troosers', 'Campbelltown Loch' and too many more that pandered to the wanabee Scottish markets!:laff::D

Now I have to take issue with YOU, Ishbel!! "Scottish Soldier" and "Donald where's your troosers" are two of my DH's party pieces! I have probably seen him sing that song 500 times, watching him do a little march to "Ohhh, let the wind blow high, let the wind blow low, through the streets with ma kilt I'll go..."

Boy, you and Greg don't know good songs when you hear them! :)

The Storyteller
6-14-11, 9:20am
Are you kidding me, Greg?? You are NOT saying that Let It Be is a stupid song??!!!!

Yeah, that's one gawdawful song. Who could possibly like these lyrics...
When I find myself in times of trouble, mother Mary comes to me,
speaking words of wisdom, let it be.
And in my hour of darkness she is standing right in front of me,

Let it be, let it be, let it be, let it be.
Whisper words of wisdom, let it be.

And when the broken hearted people living in the world agree,
there will be an answer, let it be.
For though they may be parted there is still a chance that they will see,
there will be an answer. let it be.

Let it be, let it be, .....

And when the night is cloudy, there is still a light, that shines on me,
shine until tomorrow, let it be.
I wake up to the sound of music, mother Mary comes to me,

Let it be, let it be, .....

The Storyteller
6-14-11, 9:25am
For the idiot list include "You Can Call Me Al" or "At the Zoo." For the excellent list, add "I am A Rock" and "Emily's Song." Mr. Simon is--prolific and will produce as much drek as good stuff. As a lifelong Simon fan I agree with Alan's list--he jumped the shark with those.

Well, I guess I have no taste. I tried to think of a single Paul Simon song I didn't like and couldn't come up with one. I'm not a HUGE fan, I just know what I like.

"Bridge Over Troubled Waters", "Scarborough Fair", and "The Boxer" I could listen to over and over and over and...

Greg44
6-14-11, 10:06am
...okay turn the flame throwers off -- the point I was trying to make (besides my dislike of the Beatles) -- they seem to repeat lines over and over and over again. Not the "Let it be" is the worst song ever, but rather it seems TO ME that when in doubt, they would just repeat a line again (and again)! *sigh*

iris lily
6-14-11, 10:17am
Well, I guess I have no taste. I tried to think of a single Paul Simon song I didn't like and couldn't come up with one. I'm not a HUGE fan, I just know what I like.

"Bridge Over Troubled Waters", "Scarborough Fair", and "The Boxer" I could listen to over and over and over and...

"Scarborough Fair" is lovely but isn't an original tune by Simon. Look at how far back we are reaching to hit Simon's great songs--those are WAY back before Graceland. The critics love Graceland album, it sold well, I was indifferent. Since then he's been all over the map and I haven't even bothered to listen to his new CD. I did like Rhythm of the Saints, however but cannot hum one tune from it.

Alan
6-14-11, 10:32am
"Scarborough Fair" is lovely but isn't an original tune by Simon. Look at how far back we are reaching to hit Simon's great songs--those are WAY back before Graceland. The critics love Graceland album, it sold well, I was indifferent. Since then he's been all over the map and I haven't even bothered to listen to his new CD. I did like Rhythm of the Saints, however but cannot hum one tune from it.

I think he reached his peak in the 70's. By the time he did Graceland he had transitioned from a poetic songwriter to a musical genre performer. Graceland was all about the African rhythms. Not bad, but also not particularly memorable. I haven't paid much attention to him since then, but I haven't paid much attention to any music since then.

A lot of his earlier work will always cause me to drop whatever I'm doing and close my eyes in order to better savor each note of musical genius, while Kodachrome will forever prompt me to change the channel just to get away from it.

A side story: At work some years ago I was having a conversation with a woman named Betty. She was complaining that a co-worker had given her a nick-name that she didn't like and others were picking it up and using it when addressing her. I told her that if I could call her Betty then Betty when you call me you can call me Al.

She apparently wasn't a Paul Simon fan and that exchange turned awkward as the reference zoomed right over her head. But sometimes you only get one chance at something and you'll forever regret not taking it.

redfox
6-14-11, 11:01am
...okay turn the flame throwers off -- the point I was trying to make (besides my dislike of the Beatles) -- they seem to repeat lines over and over and over again. Not the "Let it be" is the worst song ever, but rather it seems TO ME that when in doubt, they would just repeat a line again (and again)! *sigh*

Repetition is a common song form, and it relies on melody to carry it, which is what the 'let it be' lyrics do. As a poem, the lyrics are plain, put to music, it's very nice. I'm reminded of religious chants in the Western Christian tradition which use this song form of repetition... though those have less notational variation, and serve as a kind of trance inducement.

Nonetheless, you're free to dislike the Beatles just because you do! (I like their music, and the revival of the Beatles among my kids & their friends was fun to go through.)

catherine
6-14-11, 11:25am

The ONLY example of repetition of which I could perhaps agree with you would be this one:...

"la la la lalala la, lalala la, Hey Jude" ... can get just a bit tiring but that's ALL I'll give you on that point!

I completely agree with redfox--the repetition of 'let it be' is like a mantra to me.

The Storyteller
6-14-11, 12:53pm

No need to defend, Gregg. All in good fun. Lightweight threads like this shouldn't be taken too seriously.

We like what we like, and don't what we don't. In the Great Scheme, it is all absolutely meaningless.

Greg44
6-14-11, 1:09pm
No need to defend, Gregg. All in good fun. Lightweight threads like this shouldn't be taken too seriously. We like what we like, and don't what we don't. In the Great Scheme, it is all absolutely meaningless.

Sheezh and I re-read my response and see a typo...and now that typo is in every re-quote!!:laff:

I wish I had a good memory for songs I hear -- aren't there some songs on the radio that just grind you and you can't change stations fast enough? Maybe that is why I can't remember the names, I try to block them out. In the worst songs catagory perhaps also are the songs we can't get out of our heads - stupid songs - even advertising jingles. Oscas Meyer hot dog comes to mind!

poetry_writer
6-14-11, 1:36pm
Dead skunk in the middle of the road by some dude .....:o)

Alan
6-14-11, 1:54pm
Dead skunk in the middle of the road by some dude .....:o)
Loudon Wainwright III

IshbelRobertson
6-14-11, 2:03pm
Now I have to take issue with YOU, Ishbel!! "Scottish Soldier" and "Donald where's your troosers" are two of my DH's party pieces! I have probably seen him sing that song 500 times, watching him do a little march to "Ohhh, let the wind blow high, let the wind blow low, through the streets with ma kilt I'll go..."

Boy, you and Greg don't know good songs when you hear them! :)

How you can ADMIT the above is beyond me, Catherine! Whit a 'riddy' - I bet his family in Scotland would be black affrontit by him singing those crappy songs!
Those songs were written for the foreign market, and by what I've heard in Australia, NZ and other places west of my home country, they are STILL making money for Mr Stewart's estate!

jennipurrr
6-14-11, 2:45pm
That reminds me of a personal observation regarding music. I believe that some of the very best songs, and some of the very worst songs, are written/composed & sung by the same people.

I feel this way about George Strait (country singer). I don't think he writes his own songs, but he has recorded some wonderful songs and then some that are just garbage.

BTW, I looooove Please Come to Boston and Loveshack, probably just a touch of bad taste!

Kat
6-14-11, 3:03pm
Here's my little list:

Ice, Ice Baby
MmmBop
Wannabe
Baby Got Back

Oh, a small part of me likes them in a way and giggles when they are played. But the other part of me knows they are just plain bad. :laff:

redfox
6-14-11, 3:31pm
Loudon Wainwright III

You have the most amazing array of seemingly random info. I may not always agree with you, but I always dig your responses.

The Storyteller
6-14-11, 3:46pm
You have the most amazing array of seemingly random info.

Google is our friend.

Alan
6-14-11, 3:58pm
Google is our friend.
It can be. But not always necessary.

rodeosweetheart
6-14-11, 8:06pm
Patches, Honey, and Indiana Wants Me. Also "Witchita Line Man" --"You know I need a small vacation/But it don't look like rain" because he only gets a vacation if its raining, because he works on a telephone pole. But Loveshack--brilliant!!!

Miss Cellane
6-14-11, 9:15pm

I would just like to thank Greg for being brave enough to admit he doesn't like the Beetles. While I like some of their songs, they were never a favorite of mine--but there is no way I'd admit that in public. People just turn on you as if you were the most horrible person on earth. There. I've outed myself.

iris lily
6-14-11, 9:25pm
I love Let it Be but have got to be in the mood for it and others like it. It IS zen, the refrain. If I'm in the mood for active things and want Jumpin' Jack Flash, the Beatles' Let it Be and He Jude and the like, those simple simple tunes, sound naive and dull. You've got to be fully in the moment, not using music as background.

madgeylou
6-14-11, 11:16pm
"Witchita Line Man" --"You know I need a small vacation/But it don't look like rain" because he only gets a vacation if its raining, because he works on a telephone pole.

i LOVE wichita lineman! glen campbell's finest hour if you ask me, and one of jimmy webb's too. that guitar sound in the solo!! and that high note at the end of each verse! absolutely gorgeous!

rodeosweetheart
6-15-11, 8:14am
I know, I hesitated to include WL because I adore most all Jimmy Webb-- Dearest Esmeralda, Moon;s a Harsh Mistress, Highwayman!!!!!!!
But the lyrics always struck me as ludicrous.

The Storyteller
6-15-11, 9:27am
i LOVE wichita lineman! glen campbell's finest hour if you ask me,

His only hour, if you ask me.

The song is decent. I find myself humming it sometimes when I'm working fences on the place. But Campbell sounded the same to me in every single song. Didn't at first, but I grew to hate his voice.

The Storyteller
6-15-11, 9:27am
I would just like to thank Greg for being brave enough to admit he doesn't like the Beetles. While I like some of their songs, they were never a favorite of mine--but there is no way I'd admit that in public. People just turn on you as if you were the most horrible person on earth. There. I've outed myself.

Some of us are taking this way too seriously.

dreamer
6-16-11, 3:57pm
"Up, up, and away, in my beautiful balloon" Gak!!! We had to sing that in junior high chorus.... There are a number of other songs of the same type with kind of minor scale and lack of a decent melody from that same time but luckily I can't remember any of them right now.

treehugger
6-16-11, 4:09pm
There are just too many awful songs out there to really nominate a "worst" and there are so many reasons why songs are bad (stupid lyrics, annoying music, just not one's musical taste, etc.). But seriously, no mention of "Muskrat Love" yet??

Kara

P.S. Another non-Beatles lover outing herself. They were just another pop band who came along at the right time, and then did lots of drugs so their song writing seemed really deep and meaningful. I won't normally admit this in public, since I prefer to keep my head. ;)

Tenngal
6-16-11, 8:34pm
from a ZZ TOP lover........I really cannot stand the song "Rough Boy." It is so unlike the rest of their music..........

Mrs-M
6-16-11, 10:29pm
My vote goes to "Who Let The Dogs Out" by Baha Men. http://th303.photobucket.com/albums/nn137/MicheleSt/smiley/th_thpuke.gif

kib
6-17-11, 1:48am
My nominee is Warm Leatherette. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5QErPDNcj4 Warm Leatherette is to music as Getrude Stein is to literature.

Lol, Gregg44. I remember when I was about 12 and could listen to the same song 75 times without any noticeable depreciation in my joy, grooving on some particular word or changeup, my mother screaming down the stairs, "The Sun is HERE. Will you Please turn that off now?" (Come on Gang, you gotta admit, Here Comes The Sun has exactly seven musical phrases, possibly one chord, and "here comes the sun" or some variant is repeated a total of nine times out of twenty lines. I fear I've lost appreciation for the gorgeous beauty of this simplicity over time...)

Some runners up: Having my Baby, by Paul Anka. And - I can't believe he's not here yet, the ever popular Terry Jacks Seasons In The Sun. Goodbye Michelle my little ... oh shut up already. And anything ballady by the Beach Boys. And those weird 'pseudo bands' like the Partridge Family. -- and yes I did, but hey, I was eight.

Oh, aside, does anyone know The Goodies? I think they were a "rock band" - sort of like The Banana Splits were a rock band - in the early 70's England. DH got a copy of their Best of CD. Oh my.

eta: I had extensive dental work done last year, and apparently the only American music my dentist liked was Air Supply. I'm Lying Alone With My Head On The Phoh-oh-own, Thinking Of You Til It Hurts ... no honey, it's probably just that bakelite pressed up against your ear ... for five hours at a time while being sliced, drilled and filled. Ah, memories.

IshbelRobertson
6-17-11, 5:33am
The Goodies weren't a rock band, they were a group of 3 comedians/actors who, for some unknown reason, were considered great comedy a la Monty Python - they weren't! All 3 are still with us but they no longer seem to be a threesome - all seem to work on individual projects. I think they met at either Oxford or Cambridge and were given TV shows on the strength of who they knew rather than how they did!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/comedy/thegoodies/index.shtml

crunchycon
6-17-11, 6:13am

...adding one more to the excellent list (for me, anyway) - Hazy Shade of Winter (even the cover by the Bangles wasn't bad).

crunchycon
6-17-11, 6:16am
i LOVE wichita lineman! glen campbell's finest hour if you ask me, and one of jimmy webb's too. that guitar sound in the solo!! and that high note at the end of each verse! absolutely gorgeous!

Me, too....one of my top ten favorites for sure.

Kathy WI
6-17-11, 11:00am
"One is the loneliest number that you'll ever doooooo...." I hate that song more than life itself.

Lots of times I listen to the 40's music channel on DirecTV, big band jazz type stuff. I've noticed that there are a lot of really stupid songs about states or cities, like "She's My Sunflower from the Sunflower State" or "Sioux City Sue". Those are so hokey. "Sioux City Sue" makes a catchy song title, but seriously, who's named after their state or town like Michigan Greg or Toledo Jennifer.

kib
6-17-11, 1:45pm
The Goodies weren't a rock band, they were a group of 3 comedians/actors who, for some unknown reason, were considered great comedy a la Monty Python - they weren't! All 3 are still with us but they no longer seem to be a threesome - all seem to work on individual projects. I think they met at either Oxford or Cambridge and were given TV shows on the strength of who they knew rather than how they did!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/comedy/thegoodies/index.shtmlAh! But they also sang, which really deserves an honorable mention here. A Best Of album, including such hit favorites as "Nappy Love" -
She is a queen in plastic panties (big pan-tees)
My baby doll that I adore (tell me more ...)
I knew I'd really pleased her,
That moment when I squeezed her
And she went wee-wee on the floor oh oh oh, Nappy Love ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eic9dcGvUWg

IshbelRobertson
6-17-11, 2:17pm
I barely ever saw the programme, Kib - too busy going out and having a good time! And just the 'Goody, goody, gumdrops' intro was enough to bring me out in hives!

AnneM
6-18-11, 3:32pm
The Ballad of Bilbo Baggins sung by Leonard Nimoy. I saw it on YouTube once. Gawdawful! Also cannot stand "She Thinks my Tractor's Sexy" by Kenny Chesney. Maybe it was the stupid video.

The Storyteller
6-19-11, 12:10am
The Ballad of Bilbo Baggins sung by Leonard Nimoy. I saw it on YouTube once.

Yeah, I linked to that one earlier. But to tell the truth, it is so bad I actually kinda like it.

goldensmom
6-19-11, 7:00am
My vote goes to "Who Let The Dogs Out" by Baha Men. http://th303.photobucket.com/albums/nn137/MicheleSt/smiley/th_thpuke.gif

Oh Mrs. M., I love ‘Who Let The Dogs Out” but only the version sung by Frank (the dog) in Men In Black II. I laugh just anticipating that scene.

JaneV2.0
6-19-11, 12:32pm
I have a new one. I presume it's titled "Say What You Need to Say," because that's the extent of its lyrics. I was mauled by it this morning at the grocery store. How it got out of the studio and why anyone bought it is a mystery. It could be a tool of enhanced interrogation. http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-taunt003.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys.php)

Mrs-M
6-19-11, 7:26pm
Oh Mrs. M., I love ‘Who Let The Dogs Out” but only the version sung by Frank (the dog) in Men In Black II. I laugh just anticipating that scene.Oh shucks, sorry Goldensmom, I just crawl whenever I hear it. I should listen to the version you mentioned.

poetry_writer
6-19-11, 8:41pm
I feel this way about George Strait (country singer). I don't think he writes his own songs, but he has recorded some wonderful songs and then some that are just garbage.

BTW, I looooove Please Come to Boston and Loveshack, probably just a touch of bad taste!

but no one else looks as good as that in a pair of Wranglers, sorry i suppose that got totally off the original topic.. I absolutely love George Strait and his music....:o)

SoSimple
6-19-11, 9:22pm
Wildfire?

Oh, no, no, no!!!! (See, I can't even agree with you on music . . .) I loved that song :)

I can't stand any modern rap thing. But that's personal taste. Now, for a truly awful, dreadful, should-have-been-shot-on-sight song, try Agadoo (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POv-3yIPSWc). No redeeming qualities whatsoever.

kib
6-20-11, 1:12pm
Oh, no, no, no!!!! (See, I can't even agree with you on music . . .) I loved that song :)

I can't stand any modern rap thing. But that's personal taste. Now, for a truly awful, dreadful, should-have-been-shot-on-sight song, try Agadoo (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POv-3yIPSWc). No redeeming qualities whatsoever.
Sounds like what you'd say if you stepped off the curb into something warm and squishy. Video looks like entertainment at third tier Jamaican resort. Agh, ah, don't!

Gardenarian
6-20-11, 8:29pm
I have a new one. I presume it's titled "Say What You Need to Say," because that's the extent of its lyrics. I was mauled by it this morning at the grocery store. How it got out of the studio and why anyone bought it is a mystery. It could be a tool of enhanced interrogation. http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-taunt003.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys.php)

That song is so awful! DD and I have made up our own lyrics - "Stop singing and say what you mean to say, if you don't know what to say then why are you still singing...."

The song about the horse lost in the snowstorm is "Say a Prayer for the Cowgirl" and I love it!!!

JaneV2.0
6-21-11, 1:54pm
Nah, it's Wildfire; I looked it up.

Anne Lee
6-22-11, 7:44am
The 70's seemed to have a lot of bad songs. Shannon, about the Irish setter that drowned; Wildfire, the horse; Billy Don't Be a Hero, about a soldier in Vietnam; The Night Chicago Died, cops vs. mobsters.

Cypress
6-22-11, 3:53pm
Gads, Beatles songs, to me, are sacred. How can you even think it!

Are you kidding me, Greg?? You are NOT saying that Let It Be is a stupid song??!!!! It should be a hymn. In my opinion the repetition serves a purpose. So, is Robert Frost's poem stupid because it repeats "And miles to go before I sleep"? And is The Raven stupid because it repeats "Quoth the Raven, Nevermore"?

Let It Be is one of the songs that continues to impact my life. If I were to have a memorial service someday, that's one of the songs I want played.

Cypress
6-22-11, 3:55pm
I tend to think that everything the BeeGees recorded as folk artists was well done. Everything disco stinks.

benhyr
6-22-11, 4:09pm
I might have missed it (quickly searched the thread) but I don't think this one has been posted yet....

"Crimson and Clover" by Tommy James and the Shondells

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hyKLJuDQ9Q

It made it to the top of the charts, it's been sampled and covered, and it's been used in plenty of movies and tv shows.

I suppose you could argue the repetition serves to make it slightly hypnotic but I was born way too late and don't quite grow the right garden crop to fully appreciate it... and once the song gets to the point where I'm already ready to escape it, it turns to that horrific echo portion.

There are some originals I don't like that I enjoy the remakes of.... for example, this cover of Me & Julio by Me First and the Gimme Gimmes : http://grooveshark.com/s/Me+and+Julio/3nLcUM?src=5

kib
6-22-11, 4:54pm
The 70's seemed to have a lot of bad songs. Shannon, about the Irish setter that drowned; Wildfire, the horse; Billy Don't Be a Hero, about a soldier in Vietnam; The Night Chicago Died, cops vs. mobsters.You are trashing my memories of fourth grade. Next you're gonna tell me you don't think Makin' Love In My Chevy Van, People Who Need People and Rock Me Gently are classics? :0! :~)

JaneV2.0
6-22-11, 11:34pm
People Who Need People? http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-laughing021.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys.php)

That song always annoyed me. Is it the official extrovert's anthem or something?

Tradd
6-22-11, 11:49pm
There are just too many awful songs out there to really nominate a "worst" and there are so many reasons why songs are bad (stupid lyrics, annoying music, just not one's musical taste, etc.). But seriously, no mention of "Muskrat Love" yet??

Kara

P.S. Another non-Beatles lover outing herself. They were just another pop band who came along at the right time, and then did lots of drugs so their song writing seemed really deep and meaningful. I won't normally admit this in public, since I prefer to keep my head. ;)

Don't like the Beatles myself. Some of it has to do with a song titled with a woman's name - that EVERYONE sings to me when they meet me. I think you can figure out why!

And as for "Muskrat Love," thanks for putting that into my head! The stupid little muskrat noises? <shudder>

Another BAD Captain and Tenille (sp) one - "We've Only Just Begun." Gah. Meh. I can't tell you how many cousins' weddings I went to in the mid to late 70s (I had lots of older cousins) that had this as their first dance song. My mother had C & T albums. Plenty of them. I was raised on them, Barry Manilow, Barbara S., and John Denver.

The Bach violin concerto CD I've been taking refuge in lately is such a relief and a difference! My mom thinks I'm weird for liking classical, but given the crap she raised me on? :P

And whoever mentioned George Strait? <swoon> :D

Tradd
6-22-11, 11:50pm
People Who Need People? http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-laughing021.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys.php)

Another Babs one that irritates me. "Evergreen."

redfox
6-23-11, 12:11am
This is all totally cracking me up... who knew Leonard Nimoy did the Bilbo Baggins theme song?!?

KayLR
6-23-11, 1:02pm
ITA on all those bad 70's bubblegum "hits." But one more contemporary one which makes me move real quickly to the of switch is, "Small Town," by John Mellencamp. Ugh, so annoying. I wish I had $10 for every time he says "small town." I'd take a nice vacation.

benhyr
6-23-11, 1:11pm
I'd take a nice vacation.

To a small town somewhere?

treehugger
6-23-11, 3:13pm
There are some originals I don't like that I enjoy the remakes of.... for example, this cover of Me & Julio by Me First and the Gimme Gimmes : http://grooveshark.com/s/Me+and+Julio/3nLcUM?src=5

This whole thread has made me want to post a shout out to Me First and the Gimme Gimmes. I love them, and I think they can make even the worst 70s easy listening novelty songs sound great. J Who knew that all those awful songs needed was to be sped up and given a punk edge?

On my MP3 player, I have their version of Me & Julio, along with Seasons in the Sun, Mandy, Natural Woman, Nobody Does it Better, and Leaving on a Jet Plane, among other gems. Good stuff.

Kara

The Storyteller
6-23-11, 7:24pm
I'd take a nice vacation.

But it don't look like rain.

DarkStar
6-24-11, 8:04pm
I've recently heard a version of "Burning Down the House" (originally by the Talking Heads) by Tom Jones, of all people. Oy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYuFIrSLD84

boss mare
6-30-11, 2:05am
OK just changed my mind "You Light Up My Life " Is not the worst song ever... How about her dad? Pat Boone 's In A Metal Mood" where he covers songs by Alice Cooper, AC/DC , Deep Purple, Ozzy, Van Halen and others...

Selah
6-30-11, 10:16am
"You Are the Wind Beneath My Wings"! Gack!

TVRodriguez
7-2-11, 9:04pm
Cocomo by The Beach Boys.

Can't believe it wasn't mentioned already.

rosarugosa
7-3-11, 8:07pm
Count me in as another total non-fan of the Beatles. But I do rather like that Dead Skunk song mentioned earlier. There just ain't no accounting for taste!

henrysmom
7-4-11, 1:59am
Love the 70s references. But how about "One Tin Soldier"? Kung Fu Fighting? Or "Dominique" by the singing nun?

Juicifer
7-4-11, 6:46am
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_KztNIg4cvE

Was on the radio, all summer long. That was probably the first time I noticed I was getting older and started to dislike the 'cool' hits more and more.

Paige
7-6-11, 1:12am
I can't stand listening to "Nights in White Satin." I guess it was on the radio SOOO much when I was younger.

crunchycon
7-6-11, 4:31pm
I can't stand listening to "Nights in White Satin." I guess it was on the radio SOOO much when I was younger.

I'm dating myself, but every high school prom in my era (including my senior prom) used "Knights in White Satin" as its theme. Ugh.

jennipurrr
7-17-11, 9:02pm
Wildfire, the horse;

I was with someone who teared up recently to Wildfire, and I was thinking, seriously? But, I didn't want to laugh!

libby
7-18-11, 12:53am
Dust in the Wind is another song that I can't stand.

peggy
7-18-11, 12:09pm
Dust in the Wind is another song that I can't stand.

Ducks in the Wind? You didn't like that?
I think McAuthur Park is the worst!
I love Love Shack and Seven Brides fror Seven Brothers! And Joe ****er, but mainly because it's fun to try and figure out what he is saying.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xJWxPE8G2c&feature=fvsr

CathyA
7-18-11, 2:50pm
Dead Skunk in the Middle of the Road.

IshbelRobertson
7-18-11, 5:21pm
Anything by Andy Stewart (Mark I) - Donald Where's yer Troosers, Scottish Soldier, Campbelltown Loch... the list is endless!

Greg44
10-5-11, 12:39pm
Wow -- I have forgotten how bad of singer Sonny Bono was -- when Chaz danced (DWTS) to that song Monday evening I could hardly watch. Chaz is such a likable guy -- but that song he danced to by Sonny just grated on every nerve ending in my body.

Cher definitely carried that duo. I always like to see the underdog pull away and do outstanding, so I hope Chaz can do it.
But my recommendations is not to used any of his dad's music!

JaneV2.0
10-5-11, 1:29pm
The instrumental bridge in MacArthur Park was great; too bad about the vocals.

rosebud
10-9-11, 8:58pm
The 70's seemed to have a lot of bad songs. Shannon, about the Irish setter that drowned; Wildfire, the horse; Billy Don't Be a Hero, about a soldier in Vietnam; The Night Chicago Died, cops vs. mobsters.

Yes! You are so right. I was a teenager in the 70's and there were many, many truly abysmal songs, almost too many to list.

I hate hate hate You're Having My Baby. That song takes the number one spot on my list. And this is after seeing the Rebecca Black video, which at least provided some comic relief. You're Having My Baby just makes me want to punch the radio every time it comes on, which thankfully is quite infrequently. Icky, icky, icky. The distinction between what can be deemed a truly awful song and something that you just don't like is that nobody will defend a truly awful song.

If I say I don't like Barry Manilow or the Beatles, that's a matter of preference. If I say Muskrat Love is one of the all time worst songs...that's just a fact. I dare anyone to defend that song.

Alan
10-9-11, 9:09pm
...... If I say Muskrat Love is one of the all time worst songs...that's just a fact. I dare anyone to defend that song.
Susie and Sam were hot for each other. Give em a break.

You'll probably like the original version better:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHdWUhwDups&feature=related

JaneV2.0
10-9-11, 10:00pm
"Don't like the Beatles myself. Some of it has to do with a song titled with a woman's name - that EVERYONE sings to me when they meet me. I think you can figure out why!"

Eleanor Rigby?:laff:>8)

What I remember about Loudon Wainwright III is that his father, I think, was a columnist for Time or Newsweek. Kid gone bad...

Rogar
10-9-11, 10:03pm
I was reading through all the responses...proof in several cases that one person's trash is another's treasure. I climbed in friends car the other day and couldn't believe he actually had a copy of Jethro Tull's cd, Aqualung on the seat. Bad then and worse now. And John Denver's "Country Boy" and about anything else he does gives me the heebies.

Anyone remember Mrs. Miller and her version of "Downtown"?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fw07CDid0JM

Dragline
10-9-11, 11:32pm
Try this on for size: "Mr. Spock's Music from Outer Space": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzONArILHGU

Dragline
10-9-11, 11:35pm
Or William Shatner's "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1Ar79f8aN8&feature=related