PDA

View Full Version : After the last year , What I learned

BikingLady
2-9-21, 5:38pm
Getting close to one year later since I went on a huge stock piling event. I got very worried with Covid started the lock downs. I was home alone as Husband was deemed essential and stayed at work on the other side of country.
SO I stocked up like I have never done in my life. I started before the lock down and TP shortage as I had a feeling. Yes I hoarded I will say and I am so glad I did, it gave me peace of mind, a feeling of security, a feeling of I never had to venture out when people were out. I was so prepared, I was very proud of myself. I had TP stacked and still made my own just incase...
Today, I donated a few bags to a place taking food donations. I called it the Covid food I would never eat.
What I learned was If I would not eat it before I probably would not eat it during a crisis or hoped we were not that close to losing it all! I also learned the same with my dogs, their regular food was no where to be found so I ordered 120 pounds off chewy of a type they may like. They did not, so I posted FB free and it was gone fast. I also learned that I will never be without a stock pile again, so I never have to be worried.
That was just foods, I feel pretty good about the rest of preparedness also.

Yppej
2-9-21, 6:05pm
I learned my governor, who I previously liked, is a pompous, condescending, self-righteous, hypocritical, image driven dictator who only cares about the sector of the economy in which he made his millions and that he lacks common sense.

JaneV2.0
2-9-21, 7:19pm
I learned that I'm a natural recluse, but I kinda knew that.

Like Biking Lady, I've built up a stockpile of necessities, and I have mastered food delivery, online bill pay, and USPS package labeling and pickup.

razz
2-9-21, 9:42pm
More of a confirmation and experience of what I had before thought I might like.
I kind of enjoy having peace and quiet with no need to rush around; I need to see and talk to people daily on my walks and phone. Freezing food is and some stockpile is definitely worthwhile doing for peace of mind.

Teacher Terry
2-9-21, 10:47pm
If I think of anything I will post it. This was one crappy year.

pinkytoe
2-9-21, 11:24pm
I learned I was very fortunate during these times to be healthy and retired with a simple but comfortable, paid for house. And I learned that I love to garden and learn about growing things.

early morning
2-10-21, 1:19am
I knew I didn't mind being pretty isolated, and this year has confirmed that. I learned that I did not identify myself with my job as much as I thought I did - frankly, although I totally enjoyed my work and had no plans to retire early, I have not missed it. I am beginning to better understand, on a deeper level, that we are/were *lucky* in many of the opportunites that were open to us, that allow us to now live fairly easily. But mostly, I learned that I'm relatively lazy.

ApatheticNoMore
2-10-21, 1:42am
The deepest lessons that scar the psyche are really dark ones. How mass death can be normalized and people can be so indifferent to it and not even care. How various people in society can be deemed disposable (the elderly especially but also those with illnesses, poor and minorities). It's real dark stuff. One does not get out of this type of experience unchanged, one can't and doesn't even want to unsee what they saw, or doesn't take notes of exactly the world and society they live in.

So that's the dark stuff, the ultimate stuff.

But meanwhile I had to live my life (such as it is these days) so ....

I learned about working at home, it has advantages, in some ways it's much more natural, but can be a bit lonely IF there is also a pandemic going on :~). I learned that most of my gas use was probably commuting and that surely points out the folly of trying to conserve as individuals when the social setup is basically what is forcing much of our energy use. Ok whatever I do somewhat conserve anyways.

I learned I can shop once a week and make do with whatever the stores have (from the shortage, which was frankly a very strange shortage, plenty of meat but no beans or rice). I learned some minimal stocking up on household products makes sense.

I learned life was too hectic before.

I don't even know my position on social contact which has been so lacking. I mean sometimes I have missed it a great deal, and sometimes i really am inclined to become a near entire hermit, ever more so. But in summer or fall or whenever we are all vaccinated being I'm not on any priority list, I will probably isolate at least a little less. Oh and I miss the gym.

And mostly yes this was one incredibly crappy year!!!

JaneV2.0
2-10-21, 9:59am
I learned I was very fortunate during these times to be healthy and retired with a simple but comfortable, paid for house. And I learned that I love to garden and learn about growing things.

That too--except for the gardening part! :~)

happystuff
2-10-21, 11:02am
I knew, but was reminded that sometimes you just have to do what you have to do - whether you like it or not; and that it is possible to find some positive/good in the midst of almost anything.

SteveinMN
2-10-21, 11:03am
After a year, I've:

- learned how to cut my own hair without looking like I did;
- rearranged meals -- shopping only every two weeks requires making a priority of using the fragile foods (spinach, fresh fish, etc.) first and makes for some odd combinations toward the end of the two weeks to use up stuff and substitute for what we no longer have stocked;
- adjusted our budget to just getting whatever it is rather than making another stop (or, worse, another trip) to get something elsewhere. It's great that item X that we use a lot of is on sale at store Z, but if I can get X at store Y and not expose myself to another bunch of people and surfaces, so be it;
- gotten too comfortable with the world I can see from my laptop, which grew to include lectures and concerts and friend gatherings I would have preferred to attend in person;
- grown to like using pandemic rules as a get-out-of-jail-free card for social commitments I don't want to attend;
- seen that too many people don't seem to much value the effort of first-line workers (doctors, nurses, grocery store cashiers, cable TV repair people) despite talk of "heroes" and all. I know there's a gray line between keeping people employed and keeping them safe but I think folks who can isolate themselves for the most part don't think enough of what they're asking those who can't.

catherine
2-10-21, 11:57am
I love your list, Steve. I don't know if it's related to COVID, or to my particular stage of life, but COVID has given me a blank canvas, which I've tried to take advantage of. I've tried to eliminate all unnecessary activity. Of course, 3/4 of that is mandated through state laws, but 1/4 is also a self-imposed vacuum between myself and "busyness."

I'm trying to see myself as the blank canvas I was when I was a child, and put to rest other beliefs about myself that I thought were true, so I can concentrate on figuring out what I'm called to do in the 3rd act of my life.

Had COVID not happened, not sure I would have had this luxury of downtime for introspection and soul-searching.

razz
2-10-21, 12:06pm
Very insightful, Cath.

iris lilies
2-10-21, 12:18pm
The one practical skill I’ve learned is how to use the Instacart app for online grocery shopping and pickup.

I have learned that their product list does not cover everything in the store, cannot buy a 5 lb bag of carrots. Some of the descriptions are wrong so I end up with strawberry flavored cream cheese ick. The substitutions game is time consuming. Pickup has gone smoothly only one time out of 5.

But I do like the way I can use the cart as a grocery list. And then, the system keeps a record of products I have purchased which is usually good, but sometimes bad.

ApatheticNoMore
2-10-21, 12:37pm
I learned that I will probably alternate grocery trips between different stores to always get everything I want eventually, but only hit one store a week. Mind you there is a TJs within a block of work so I would probably make exceptions for TJ runs were I there and the pandemic over - because it's just so easy.

There is a fine line between soul searching and depression with me, but so it goes, time to reflect and to ruminate and regret. But I do like more time, I may even like hermitage, I may even like being a bit low as without any hopes or expectations, but it can get too much. Have I mentioned this was one crappy year. :P

Considering line-cook was one of the mostly dangerous jobs in the pandemic, as I learned recently, the most risk one asked of others is when they ordered delivery or take out maybe. But at a certain point it became inevitably clear we were never going to do a ZeroCovid policy, no matter how much anyone may have wanted it (and keeping things closed polled well), it was never actually in the cards, and so one lived even the very limited life they did.

catherine
2-10-21, 1:12pm
time to reflect and to ruminate and regret.

No regrets, ANM. I have them, too. But what's the point on ruminating on them? I acknowledge to myself that I screwed up on some things, but I make up for it with other things, and I can always redeem myself. I have gotten very liberal at forgiving myself over the past few years. I'm not sure I agree with Edith Piaf "non, je ne regrette rien" but I am getting better at putting it behind me and moving on. That's what the 2020 experience has given me. A chance to put into a fuzzy background the meaningless vestiges of my belief system about myself and bring into clarity what I am and can be moving forward.

iris lilies
2-10-21, 2:25pm
Catherine, these thoughts are expressed in a lovely way. Cool.

JaneV2.0
2-10-21, 2:32pm
Amazon Fresh and Whole Foods delivery both have large bags of carrots--I have five pounds of organic carrots on my list as I type. You might alternate among providers to get what you want.

JaneV2.0
2-10-21, 2:41pm
Some people count sheep--I count Mistakes I Have Made as I nod off.

I have raised being an underachiever to an art form, so I have regrets, too.

But, as Catherine points out, what's the point of dwelling on every flaw and shortcoming?

This life has been a bye, but I hope I can bring what I've learned--if even subconsciously--into a more notable next life. If not, I've bungled along as best I could, given an uncooperative body, so I'm at peace with who I am.

KayLR
2-10-21, 2:57pm
I'm trying to see myself as the blank canvas I was when I was a child, and put to rest other beliefs about myself that I thought were true, so I can concentrate on figuring out what I'm called to do in the 3rd act of my life.

Yes! This articulates perfectly what I have been feeling anxious about for the past year. Looming retirement, quashing of friend and family socializing, inherent depression, and adult child estrangement--they're all playing havoc on my concentration.

And, like you say, I do have more time to calm myself and think.

iris lilies
2-10-21, 3:00pm
Amazon Fresh and Whole Foods delivery both have large bags of carrots--I have five pounds of organic carrots on my list as I type. You might alternate among providers to get what you want.
Oh hell no, it’s been hard enough to figure out how this one store works its pick up. They have changed twice. And then I hate my cell phone which I’m forced to use, so NO CHANGING ON MEEEEEEEE!

BikingLady
2-10-21, 3:13pm
I buy as much as I can online, all pantry and cleaning items, milk for my grand daughter I care for, organic delivered even. I bike to the small market early Sunday or Monday, which I made the comment the other day it has been so long, thanks covid, from shopping at that time I can't remember shopping with people! I have not used the order online and pick up at grocery store feature however. I just cant see someone picking out the veggies that I am so picky about, but maybe I will try.

frugal-one
2-10-21, 3:45pm
Oh hell no, it’s been hard enough to figure out how this one store works its pick up. They have changed twice. And then I hate my cell phone which I’m forced to use, so NO CHANGING ON MEEEEEEEE!

Can't you use your iPad?

frugal-one
2-10-21, 3:53pm
People showed their true colors during this COVID time. Real friends stayed in touch. I was very depressed initially to be home all the time. I have learned to adapt but will be happy to again do some of the things I had to let go. I will never be one of the hermit types. I have stockpiling to an art AND have used everything I bought. I learned to shop during senior hours and only shop every three weeks.

It has truly been a year to forget.

iris lilies
2-10-21, 4:14pm
Can't you use your iPad?
I don’t see how explain to me how. I’m not talking about the ordering part, I’m talking about pick up where we have to communicate when I’m in the parking lot.

One magical time they walked out just as I pulled up because I had told them I was leaving my housevand Apparently the GPS tracker informed them of my whereabouts.But the next time that didn’t work at all. And then I kept hitting a button to tell them I was in the parking lot but they didn’t seem to get the message. And times before that, I didn’t even know where I was supposed to park, and then when I learned that I was supposed to call them but they didn’t answer, and… There’s been numerous problems with pick up.

frugal-one
2-10-21, 4:23pm
Thought you were talking about ordering.

JaneV2.0
2-10-21, 4:47pm

Hahaha! I do delivery, so it's just a matter of ordering (couldn't be easier) and waiting. I did a Safeway pickup once, and it was pretty easy, too.

Gardnr
2-10-21, 4:56pm
I have learned that a tremendous number of people think Science is stupid and worthless and virologists and Infection Prevention professionals are useless. Yet, when it comes to healthcare, they want us to be perfect and use all the science we have ever learned and don't we dare make a human error.

As for running my life and household during the pandemic: essentially no change. I did a quick stock up in March when we shut down but it took me until 2w ago to use it up as I stocked up stuff I don't usually buy frozen. I didn't need it so it was sitting in the freezer for someday.

Hubster's life: work at home. And he prefers it. No commute time, doesn't have to shower/dress daily, the kitchen is at his disposal (no I do not make his breakfast and lunch, he is in charge of that just like when he worked) and he actually doesn't mind spending more time with his ball n' chain:~)

I have learned people don't like evidence and facts. They want to believe what they think blindly.

And lastly, I've learned that many many people actually believe every human in this country is treated equally.

I'm not sure which of the above makes me the saddest-it's all sad.

happystuff
2-11-21, 9:53am
I have learned that a tremendous number of people think Science is stupid and worthless and virologists and Infection Prevention professionals are useless. Yet, when it comes to healthcare, they want us to be perfect and use all the science we have ever learned and don't we dare make a human error.

As for running my life and household during the pandemic: essentially no change. I did a quick stock up in March when we shut down but it took me until 2w ago to use it up as I stocked up stuff I don't usually buy frozen. I didn't need it so it was sitting in the freezer for someday.

Hubster's life: work at home. And he prefers it. No commute time, doesn't have to shower/dress daily, the kitchen is at his disposal (no I do not make his breakfast and lunch, he is in charge of that just like when he worked) and he actually doesn't mind spending more time with his ball n' chain:~)

I have learned people don't like evidence and facts. They want to believe what they think blindly.

And lastly, I've learned that many many people actually believe every human in this country is treated equally.

I'm not sure which of the above makes me the saddest-it's all sad.

I agree. But I still see enough good to remain, personally, hopeful and helpful.

Yppej
2-11-21, 7:07pm
I learned my governor, who I previously liked, is a pompous, condescending, self-righteous, hypocritical, image driven dictator who only cares about the sector of the economy in which he made his millions and that he lacks common sense.

And Harvard University just gave my state an F for its vaccine rollout. Yes, I learned what a loser my governor is. His latest idea is anyone accompanying a senior for a vaccine can get a vaccine as well. People are running Craig's List ads looking for seniors so they can jump to the top of the queue ahead of those with greater needs by pairing up with a stranger senior.

Simplemind
2-11-21, 9:34pm
My DH did all the shopping and most of the cooking and always enjoyed it. We decided to do grocery delivery from Safeway. OMG - love it! We love it so much that we will probably stick with it. No driving, parking and unloading in the rain. So nice.

JaneV2.0
2-12-21, 9:07am
My DH did all the shopping and most of the cooking and always enjoyed it. We decided to do grocery delivery from Safeway. OMG - love it! We love it so much that we will probably stick with it. No driving, parking and unloading in the rain. So nice.

Is it a no-contact delivery? I can't seem to get a straight answer from Safeway. Its website says one thing, customer service says another.
I'm sold on delivery, too--but how I miss my Grocery Outlet, and its prices!

Teacher Terry
2-12-21, 9:14am
Once I am fully vaccinated I am going back to Winco because they have the best prices, great meat but no pick up options. I will also enjoy getting out.

iris lilies
2-12-21, 9:54am
I went to the grocery store for the for time yesterday in weeks.

I sure spend more when there than when ordering online!

JaneV2.0
2-12-21, 10:19am
I went to the grocery store for the for time yesterday in weeks.

I sure spend more when there than when ordering online!

Absolutely. Grocery Outlet has wonderful prices.

ApatheticNoMore
2-12-21, 12:00pm
I shopped for groceries, but back in the day I'd add the total up in my head and knew about what it would be before I even got to the checkout and made sure I had cash on hand, in my head sometimes but sometimes I'd jot down the total also. None of that happened in the pandemic and I went to expensive grocery stores.

ApatheticNoMore
2-12-21, 7:28pm
Oh I guess I learned to exercise power where one has it. Now I don't by and large have boatloads of power. Just the truth. But I figured the only way to exercise my power where I might have some to avoid being pushed into the maw of a hungry covid was to beg work to keep working at home, because no other powers that be could give a @#$# about me. Ha turns out pretty much noone went back more than 1 day a week and not even that, as the time we were scheduled to was ALWAYS coinciding with surges ...

However the cost of exercising this power was making my self sick with stress related illness (not covid - that's a germ :~)). So um er. Yea it was an incredibly crappy year.

Simplemind
2-13-21, 12:19am
Jane it is no contact delivery. We open the garage door when they drive up and they put it in the middle of the driveway and we scoop it up from there. $30 minimum which is no problem for us.

JaneV2.0
2-14-21, 10:31am
Jane it is no contact delivery. We open the garage door when they drive up and they put it in the middle of the driveway and we scoop it up from there. $30 minimum which is no problem for us.

That's entirely too much contact for me--I'm used to the service where I hang around, fiddling with the computer until I get an email telling me my delivery is complete and would I like to rate it. Garage door opening and waving and schlepping groceries from somewhere other than right in front of my door wouldn't cut it. :~)

Teacher Terry
2-14-21, 12:05pm
Jane, they also will leave it on your front porch and wave at you when you come to the door or they call you and leave.

Simplemind
2-14-21, 12:10pm
Jane that is our preference. They will bring it right to your door as TT says. We don't have them come to the front door because that sets off the dogs and is also the furthest route to the kitchen :)

tiranda
2-18-21, 2:35pm
For me, to be healthy, employed and teleworking, I feel such a sense of gratitude and relief things go so well for me. I gave money to food banks and i do order restaurant food sometimes.

JaneV2.0
2-18-21, 3:35pm
Jane, they also will leave it on your front porch and wave at you when you come to the door or they call you and leave.

"They'll call you and leave" sounds pretty good.

tiranda
2-19-21, 9:02am
"They'll call you and leave" sounds pretty good.

Yes, call you to make sure YOU can get it before any porch pirates!

JaneV2.0
2-19-21, 9:52am
Amazon Fresh just made a delivery four minutes ago. They'd have to be pretty intrepid porch pirates to beat me to the door. :)

ETA: Also, Amazon has a feature that, when you're order is close to arriving, produces a handy dynamic map that shows where your delivery is, so you could meet the delivery at the door if you chose to.

BikingLady
3-18-21, 7:27pm
Wish Amazon Fresh was in this area!

Tradd
7-18-21, 5:39pm
Just did my first Amazon fresh order today. It delivers early this evening. Been using pickup from Jewel, a Chicago area grocery chain, but didn't feel like going to the store.