PDA

View Full Version : old letters about family friends

Tybee
3-29-21, 7:31pm
I have been reading old letters home from my dad from the service and college, from the 40's to early 50's. One of my dad's dearest friends features prominently in the letters, and there is talk about things they did and the fun they had, all the way from the service to when they were married and had kids. I remember playing with the kids when we would visit Savannah to see my grandparents.

I remembered the name of one of the daughters who was around my age. I found an obituary for Dad's friend, who died about ten years ago. Since then, his daughter lost her brother, husband, and own daughter.

Do you think this woman (the daughter) would want copies of these letters about her parents when they were young? I'm sure she does not remember me, but I remember her family, and I remember playing with her, and her dad taking us to the swimming pool on the day of my granddad's funeral. He was such a nice man.

Would it be totally weird to contact her if I can find an address, and ask?

nswef
3-29-21, 7:34pm
That sounds like a lovely thing to do.

razz
3-29-21, 7:34pm
i would share these letters without any hesitation.

Tybee
3-29-21, 8:02pm
thank you!

Simplemind
3-29-21, 8:58pm
I think she would absolutely love them.

Tybee
3-30-21, 6:57am
I think she would absolutely love them.

Thank you, everyone! I guess I will get to work sorting and copying them.

catherine
3-30-21, 8:19am
I agree! I would love to have letters from or about any of my old relatives. My cousin came across an old letter written to her mother, my aunt. It was from my adopted brother's mother. My brother is a blood 1st cousin, but he was orphaned at 6 years old. My mother and father took him in.

In it she wrote about how happy she was to be pregnant and played around with names in the letter. My cousin was afraid that my brother would be upset or sad by the letter but I encouraged her to write to my SIL and ask her. She also said to send it and my brother was thrilled to have it. She died in childbirth only a couple months later.

So, yes--send it!

Tybee
3-30-21, 9:30am
I agree! I would love to have letters from or about any of my old relatives. My cousin came across an old letter written to her mother, my aunt. It was from my adopted brother's mother. My brother is a blood 1st cousin, but he was orphaned at 6 years old. My mother and father took him in.

In it she wrote about how happy she was to be pregnant and played around with names in the letter. My cousin was afraid that my brother would be upset or sad by the letter but I encouraged her to write to my SIL and ask her. She also said to send it and my brother was thrilled to have it. She died in childbirth only a couple months later.

So, yes--send it!

Yes, that's it, was a little worried about making this lady upset or sad. I will write and see if she wants copies of the letters before sending anything.

happystuff
3-30-21, 10:17am
Late to this but I agree to send them.

Tybee
3-30-21, 10:52am
Late to this but I agree to send them.

Thank you!

Teacher Terry
3-30-21, 12:35pm
I think she will love them!!

Tybee
3-30-21, 12:52pm
It's funny, I was just opening the box and thinking Gosh, do I really want to do this, and the very first letter I pulled out had a whole page about a crib bumper my grandmother had made and sent to them, and she had conferred with the other grandmother before making it, and what the friend said, and the wife, and all about the baby. So now I guess I'm stuck.

I have to laugh because my father wrote incredibly dutiful letters, full of thank yous to my grandmother for making candy, etc., and all about training at Parris Island, Camp LeJeune, and Pendleton, and all his classes at college, and who went to dinner with who and who dated who and days spent sailing--I don't think my kids ever wrote me that kind of letter. I guess he liked staying in touch, and phone calls were very infrequent.

GeorgeParker
4-1-21, 1:00am
Yes, that's it, was a little worried about making this lady upset or sad. I will write and see if she wants copies of the letters before sending anything.If you're talking about making physical copies, not digital scans, go ahead and do it. Put the copied letters in an envelope, then put that envelope inside a bigger envelope along with a letter explaining who you are and that copies of the letters are enclosed. That way she can open the inner envelope and read the letters when/if she wants to, or pass them on to other relatives/friends, or silently toss them.

Tybee
4-1-21, 5:40am
If you're talking about making physical copies, not digital scans, go ahead and do it. Put the copied letters in an envelope, then put that envelope inside a bigger envelope along with a letter explaining who you are and that copies of the letters are enclosed. That way she can open the inner envelope and read the letters when/if she wants to, or pass them on to other relatives/friends, or silently toss them.

Yes, I am making physical copies--that is a good idea of how to send them, thank you!

Simone
4-2-21, 10:15pm
I would treasure such letters if they came my way. It's kind of you to send them.