PDA

View Full Version : June Frugals

Yppej
6-5-21, 3:07pm
Used Kohls cash towards a couple pairs of shorts. I now have something to wear working in the yard that doesn't dig into my skin. It is mainly elasticized. Yes I am at that old lady stage. The other pair is denim for going places.

Bought a watertight case at a sporting goods store as the key for my new car will not fit in the old case I have. It and other ones I looked at online are "not intended for full submersion" but I don't put my head under the water since I wear contacts and if I do swim like to do the backstroke so I think I will be fine.

Meeting up with a friend of mine tomorrow at an admissions free park. She has a son who lives with her but is estranged from her, and we can relate to and support each other in ways others cannot.

happystuff
6-5-21, 10:19pm
Today was our town wide yard sale. Normally we participate as sellers. but had a previous engagement, as well as not ready to have people traipse around the yard. The frugal part - did not GO to any of the yard sales in the area - wanted nothing, purchased nothing! LOL.

rosarugosa
6-6-21, 5:52am
Jeppy: I'm glad you are finally able to get the clothes you need.
Happy: You demonstrated remarkable self restraint!
We were considering takeout this weekend since we are in a heat wave, but DH made a plate of fried chicken cutlets and a chicken salad yesterday morning, before it got too hot. There is definitely enough to feed us for another day or so.
I also found a nice 5-gallon bucket by the river and brought it home. These come in handy for gardening and all sorts of other things, so you just can't have too many, lol. It was also litter where it was, so a small win-win.

Yppej
6-6-21, 6:17am
Spent $5 less on groceries than the weekend before. I am not as hungry when it is warm out. The boss said he will stock the freezer at work with popsicles since the A/C at work is anemic.

Tybee
6-6-21, 6:45am
Had an eight dollar date night--went to next town for dog food and then next town from that to the lake for ice cream cones, sat on a bench and looked at the water and ate raspberry sherbet. I told husband it was actually "date afternoon" since we left around 4.

happystuff
6-6-21, 9:20am
Great find, rr! I agree - the buckets come in handy.

Sweet date "afternoon", Tybee.

Yppej
6-9-21, 5:58am
I have a pair of white flip flops with fake flowers by the toes that collected dust. I cut the flowers off and now have a basic white that is better.

iris lilies
6-9-21, 8:48am
Jeppy: I'm glad you are finally able to get the clothes you need.
Happy: You demonstrated remarkable self restraint!
We were considering takeout this weekend since we are in a heat wave, but DH made a plate of fried chicken cutlets and a chicken salad yesterday morning, before it got too hot. There is definitely enough to feed us for another day or so.
I also found a nice 5-gallon bucket by the river and brought it home. These come in handy for gardening and all sorts of other things, so you just can't have too many, lol. It was also litter where it was, so a small win-win.

we hoard 5 gallon buckets!

nswef
6-9-21, 8:56am
I love 5 gallon buckets, they are so handy when weeding, hauling tools to the always remote place... yard tool bucket, stool for picking blueberries.

Tybee
6-9-21, 9:26am
I love 5 gallon buckets, they are so handy when weeding, hauling tools to the always remote place... yard tool bucket, stool for picking blueberries.

Excellent also for sharing plants with neighbors, as you don't really care if they ever make it back.

Also planting trees from seed.

happystuff
6-9-21, 9:58am

I have two on the deck right now that are being used as plant stands.

frugal-one
6-9-21, 2:30pm
Also for planting tomato plants upside down... where they hang and grow up towards the sun.

happystuff
6-10-21, 10:13am
Also for planting tomato plants upside down... where they hang and grow up towards the sun.

I've never had good success with this. Tried it a couple times, as I think it is very cool, but never really worked for me. Do you do this?

Teacher Terry
6-10-21, 1:19pm
The junk master had about 40 of those buckets. Some went to his storage unit and the rest I had no problem getting rid of with a free sign.

frugal-one
6-10-21, 2:42pm
I've never had good success with this. Tried it a couple times, as I think it is very cool, but never really worked for me. Do you do this?

I did it one year and the plants were hanging to the ground loaded with tomatoes. I traveling for work at the time and DH said I would be surprised when I came home and saw the plants. I sure was!! Someone came and stole every tomato (even the green ones).

catherine
6-10-21, 4:53pm
I thought I was the only one in love with my 5 gallon buckets (with lids!). I always thought I was a city mouse, but when I realize I have an obsession with cast iron, pitchforks, and 5-gallon buckets, I KNOW I am a country mouse!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umS3XM3xAPk

iris lilies
6-10-21, 5:23pm
5 gallon buckets, new Salad Spinner type topic although there seems to be no controversy about them.

Here are my buckets in my city house, lined up for duty and full of weeds from this week.

razz
6-10-21, 6:40pm
5 gallon buckets, new Salad Spinner type topic although there seems to be no controversy about them.
:(

Here are my buckets in my city house, lined up for duty and full of weeds from this week.

Yours are colourful. I have black, navy, snow white, cream but no purple;) Some are short and squat and some are tall and lean but they all work very well.

iris lilies
6-10-21, 7:05pm
The junk master had about 40 of those buckets. Some went to his storage unit and the rest I had no problem getting rid of with a free sign.
40 is probably about the right critical mass, total across all properties, for us.

I can fit 21 into DH’s truck. His previous truck had a slightly larger bed and I could fit 23 in.

My mulching routine is to drive down to the community garden, fill buckets full of mulch, drive back home, and haul them up to my garden. I’ve not done that this year and I probably will not be doing it. DH did quite a bit of mulching around here though.

Speaking of frugal, we have the most wonderful gorgeous delightful fabulous load of wood chip mulch ever seen in our community garden bin right now. It was delivered by the city yesterday. It is all free.

catherine
6-10-21, 7:42pm
40 is probably about the right critical mass, total across all properties, for us.

I can fit 21 into DH’s truck. His previous truck had a slightly larger bed and I could fit 23 in.

My mulching routine is to drive down to the community garden, fill buckets full of mulch, drive back home, and haul them up to my garden. I’ve not done that this year and I probably will not be doing it. DH did quite a bit of mulching around here though.

Speaking of frugal, we have the most wonderful gorgeous delightful fabulous load of wood chip mulch ever seen And a community garden been right now. It was delivered by the city yesterday. It is all free.

I just realized that our transfer station gives away free--whatever you call it. DH calls it sawdust; I call it wood chips/mulch, but it's something in-between, and I realized that it's perfect to use for "browns" in my compost. It's always so hard to find browns. So now we're going to have to swing by and pick up a 5 gallon bucket of sawdust/woodchips/mulch every time we go to the transfer station.

rosarugosa
6-11-21, 5:31am
Speak of 5-gal buckets, a few years ago my husband was working on a project, re-shingling the gazebo roof. He kept his tools for the project in a dedicated bucket for the duration of the project, which I dubbed his project bucket. I had one too for my painting outdoor furniture project. It was very convenient.

Yppej
6-11-21, 5:33am
I am working on getting an excise tax abatement for the lemon car I drove less than 24 hours and had legal possession of for less than a week. I am pretty sure I will have to pay some minimum amount.

Also had a rock hit my windshield and I figured although the chip was small why not get it repaired since I have a $0 deductible glass coverage. Well the repair made it worse so I am working on a replacement and Safelite is saying they can't guarantee they can transfer over the inspection sticker and I might have to pay $35 for a new state inspection. (In my state the station can't just print you a new sticker.) I am checking with the dealership which is also an inspection station (which Safelite is not) to see can they do better and also handle all the insurance paperwork for me. They sub out their glass work so I don't know how complicated that might be.

So free might not be free, not to mention 3 hours out of my day to get the job done since the car has to be recalibrated so the lane assist camera works with the new windshield. And there's driving time and gas to and from the shop since the mobile unit can't recalibrate, not to mention hours on the phone already with Safelite waiting for and speaking with their incompetent call center who are in Arizona, have no sense of New England geography, and keep trying to schedule me far from home. Every person also has a different story about when the OEM glass will be in too from it's in stock to next week to 7 business days to we don't know as there are production delays due to covid. I should have just left the chip and seen if I could still pass inspection next April with it.

Yppej
6-12-21, 5:33am
They abated my tax on the lemon in full.

The dealership never got back to me but I was able to reach the Safelite shop and they said the sticker language is generic but in Massachusetts it is possible to transfer the sticker. I will bring a blow dryer with me as I read that can help loosen up the sticker if need be.

While at the drivethru at the bank I saw a big canister of pens inside on the counter customers come up to and asked were they giving them away and they gave me two.

happystuff
6-12-21, 10:59am
Not sure where/how I originally found this, but here is a video on how to make a rolling compost container out of two 5 gallon buckets and 3 lids:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vt4Nk3ciLis

nswef
6-12-21, 11:44am
Happystuff, that was so cool to see. We just dump ours in the garden plot, but i am looking to get tidier about it, so this might be an option. Thanks for sharing it!

Gardnr
6-12-21, 6:43pm
Quick easy grocery shop and just $50 spent. I leave Tuesday and hubster has enough food for my 2 week absence. Mostly frozen berries for his breakfast yogurt and fresh fruit, a small piece of ham he wanted and some frozen veg. Monday night I'll make him a big pan of cauliflower fried rice and he'll have 4-6 lunches for work depending on his appetite.

Our CSA has been gigantic! I'll need to spend some time tomorrow cooking down greens for vacuum packing and we'll have fresh frozen veggies in December:cool:

Yppej
6-18-21, 7:10pm
My last pedicure was not done well so I decided to pass on another one, managed to get all the gel off, and applied some polish I have at home. I destroyed my good emery board but can get another one for a couple bucks, a lot cheaper than the cost of a professional pedicure.

Yppej
6-19-21, 11:46am
I needed a new mop. Last time I got one at Dollar Tree for $1 but you know that deal was too good to last. Family Dollar wanted $9.98 but I found one at Walmart for $4.97. Also got some generic Magic Erasers for about half the price Market Basket charges for their generic.

Yppej
6-28-21, 8:03pm
June will come in under budget but depending when I get home repairs done and how much they cost other months may not, which would blow my goal of staying on budget eight or more months this year. For instance, next month I have quarterly real estate taxes so anything else big will blow the budget. I already lost three months to computer, car repairs, hot water heater, and new car. If I miss my annual goal I will make it a resolution for next year. Trying again is better than giving up.

rosarugosa
6-29-21, 8:53am
Got some nice scores at the thrift store Sunday. For less than $30, I got 3 pairs of shorts for DH that all looked to be brand new, plus a really nice long dress for myself. I love the dress and could even wear it to a dressed-up occasion if life should inflict one upon me, lol. The dress was only $4.49!
I also gave DH his monthly haircut. I'm so much faster and more confident with this than I was a year ago.

iris lilies
6-29-21, 9:03am
June will come in under budget but depending when I get home repairs done and how much they cost other months may not, which would blow my goal of staying on budget eight or more months this year. For instance, next month I have quarterly real estate taxes so anything else big will blow the budget. I already lost three months to computer, car repairs, hot water heater, and new car. If I miss my annual goal I will make it a resolution for next year. Trying again is better than giving up.

But if your budget doesn't include necessary repairs to cars, house, etc, dont you have to increase your budget?

I say this as a non-budgeter. just do not like “budgeting.” Things cost what they cost.

Yppej
6-29-21, 9:08am
But if your budget doesn't include necessary repairs to cars, house, etc, dont you have to increase your budget?

I say this as a non-budgeter. just do not like “budgeting.” Things cost what they cost.

My budget is aspirational, based on my saving half my take home pay, which I don't have to do, and don't do when I have to pay for things like that. Budget is probably not the best term. It's more a spending goal.

rosarugosa
6-29-21, 4:36pm
Jeppy: Just my two cents, but I think I would maybe set something like a goal and a stretch goal. It appears (at least from here) that you are quite frugal indeed, and I would find it discouraging if I deemed myself as having failed whenever I paid for something like a necessary home or car repair. However, we do have to do whatever works for our own unique mindsets.