PDA

View Full Version : Protecting oneself and one's home.

razz
7-19-21, 11:12am
I was sent an email advising me to keep my car keys handy as a form of alarm for my security.

It then occurred to me to do some online research on ensuring one's security beyond sound bolt locks, locking doors at all time, keeping shrubs etc low to prevent hiding spots, using peep holes, no response to unknown calls on phone and knowing my neighbours.
I have considered getting cameras for the ground floor, basement and entrance which use wifi but the choices have been overwhelming. I want just a basic system that I can install myself.
My doors are metal and windows have locks that are continually in use.

What security systems and practices work for you?

iris lilies
7-19-21, 11:26am
I was sent an email advising me to keep my car keys handy as a form of alarm for my security.

It then occurred to me to do some online research on ensuring one's security beyond sound bolt locks, locking doors at all time, keeping shrubs etc low to prevent hiding spots, using peep holes, no response to unknown calls on phone and knowing my neighbours.
I have considered getting cameras for the ground floor, basement and entrance which use wifi but the choices have been overwhelming. I want just a basic system that I can install myself.
My doors are metal and windows have locks that are continually in use.

hooo boy, living in Murder City in a high crime zip code as I do, my answer will be for that environment. Take from it what you will.

For us, cameras are stupid and a waste of time. At least once a week someone in my ZIP Code posts their security camera footage on Nextdoor of someone stealing something. Cameras are not a deterrent here. Camera footage MIGHT be helpful in SOME Circumstances when police are interested in apprehending a criminal. Usually that means one criminal is operating and hitting many houses. They don’t do one off investigations.

30 years ago we installed a wired security system because that’s what you did at the time. We had our house walls open to the studs anyway so it wasn’t hard. But we were too cheap to pay for monitoring, so we had an unmonitored system that was supposed to blare a loud siren and flashing light if someone broke in. We only turned it on for about six months and then we stopped. Six months out of 30 years years, a complete waste of our time and resources.

In our high crime area our house has been burglarized once (and part of that our fault for showing the criminals where the tv sits) and our garage once, in both cases they kicked down a door.In both cases the perps knew people were not around so there was never any threat to our persons.

Petty crime is common around here with thefts of statuary and plantings and yard ornaments. Car crime is far more rabid because it’s common for car windows to be broken, catalytic converters stolen, etc. Every time I leave my car doors unlocked, every freaking time, I come out to my car the next morning and find that someone has been in it and rifling around. That tells me that there are regular patrols of men in the wee hours of the morning trying car doorhandles.

iris lilies
7-19-21, 11:37am
So what works: everything is fenced here with 6’ wood fence in back and iron fence in front. We lock our house doors all the time automatically. I keep my car, which is parked on the street, free of stuff.it is usually locked and has The Club on the steering wheel. Once my car was stolen when I didn’t have The Club on it.

when I am working in our yard and need access to our alley, even then I keep our garage door closed, and open it only when I am right there moving plant debris to dumpsters in the alley. If I leave the garage open and unattended for ten mintues, there is a chance of theft.

We regularly call neighbors about their open garage doors, alerting them to it.

All houses on my block and on MOST blocks around here are an impenetrable force because there is no way to scoot between houses. That is one area of safety, keeping foot traffic on the streets and alleys. We actually had a neighborhood fencing effort some years ago to block off access to “between” places. The fencing is intended to drive all foot traffic down streets.More eyes on the street is the idea.

I’m seldom concerned about crime against my person, but I’m always aware of keeping doors locked. Here, there’s so much crime and opportunity for crime, you just have to put up barriers so that the criminals move on to the next open target.

I do look forward to the day when we move to Hermann and I won’t have to be so vigilant. Once I left my billfold in the front seat of the car in Hermann for a few days. That would never have been successful here.

When we have guests stay overnight we want them to park in our garage, not on the street, because their cars are almost always full of crap and it’s an open invitation for their cars to be burglarized.

When our friend moved from this neighborhood and piled all of his stuff into his open truck, he had a week before he took off to his new home place. We had him drive to Hermann and stay at our house there because his open truck was not safe here in the city.

Rogar
7-19-21, 11:46am
I live in what is probably a quiet low crime area and don't have much for advanced security. Our neighborhood has neighborhood watch signs out and I have the names and phone numbers of all the neighbors (willing to give that out) should anything happen where neighbors need to be alerted. I've never had to use it for any suspicious activity. When I upgraded windows a few years ago the new model has a feature to block the window from sliding opening fully, so one can leave a window partially open in the summer and there is not enough room for person to get into the house though the slightly open window. It can probably be forced with enough abuse, but I use it. And a home defense weapon. My neighbor is in his nineties and slightly paranoid and calls the police routinely for anything that looks out of place. He's sort of a human security system.

iris lilies
7-19-21, 11:56am
It is nearly useless here to call the cops. Statistics released this week show that 36% of calls to 911 were put “on hold.” Holy hell.

That doesn’t even begin to address the prioritization of incidents and we seldom see a police car respond to property crime.

JaneV2.0
7-19-21, 12:08pm
I lock my doors, park the car in a garage, keep an eye out when I'm near a window in the front of the house...

That said, I was just talking about crime with friends in Oregon, and I discovered that my suburb has less crime than about 75% of the country, and one murder every ten years or so, so I feel pretty comfortable. I did have mail stolen a few years ago.

Tradd
7-19-21, 12:50pm
You can harden your door frames and put better locks on. Don’t leave valuables in your car where they can be seen.

My home defense weapon is my 9mm carry pistol.

Tybee
7-19-21, 1:01pm
We just have two big dogs.

catherine
7-19-21, 1:07pm

1. Living in a low crime rate area (to IL's point)
2. Not having stuff that's worth much or that I would mind getting stolen
3. Living between two neighbors who have a lot of guns

Tybee's dog strategy will probably be my next one

I am notoriously bad at locking houses and cars. One time it did bite me in the butt when my computer was stolen out of the car--it was foolish of me to have it on the back seat in plain sight. But normally I tend to be on the carefree side, and because of points 1&2 above, I can afford to be that way.

Teacher Terry
7-19-21, 1:23pm
When Noki died we bought simplisafe security system. It’s reasonable and you can install it yourself. Monitoring is also cheap at 15/month.

herbgeek
7-19-21, 1:47pm
I live in a low crime area, but we do have gangs of inner city youth coming from Hartford to our area a few times a year to steal unlocked cars. I've always kept the car locked since an incident 20 years ago on New Years Eve where someone got into our cars, and did malicious damage. I was pretty sure who did it, but the cops didn't really care. There had been some kids with mini bikes riding up and down our road at high speed, and one neighbor had called the cops on them, I had just yelled at them to slow down. I had a lavender sachet torn apart and flower buds all over my car- my husband had about a hundred CDs in his car and they took them, threw them in the road and drove over them. The neighbor had their streetside lighting bashed, and a few other neighbors mentioned random damage to mailboxes etc.

We lock the house at night but not during the day but I will if I know I am home alone for a long period. There are only a dozen houses on this street (dead end) and 3 past me so I know what the usual traffic and usual vehicles are.

We removed the bushes around the house. There's a stone wall across the front of the property which psychologically at least, says stay out. We do have a shotgun but have never used it.

Simplemind
7-19-21, 3:21pm
We have a lot of things going on around the house that could be helpful but aren't really for crime. We have cameras on the front and back. They set of an alarm on our phones when tripped. We have a motion detector on the driveway (one beep) and along the front walk and pond area (two beeps) so we know when anyone or thing is approaching the house. We have two large loud dogs who know the difference in alarms and beeps and act accordingly. We have motion detectors in the front and back that spray water. We have an alarm system on our door and windows and inside motion detectors that we haven't activated since I moved in. DH has a Louisville Slugger, I have a Glock and my personality. We are at the back of a Cul-de-sac and are home most of the time as are most of our neighbors who are retired and Gladys Kravitz has nothing on them!

catherine
7-19-21, 3:31pm
Simplemind, you made me remember that we have a LOT of motion detectors, but as you said, they're not really for crime--the first year we had none and it was so dark out there it was a miracle we didn't kill ourselves walking to the car at night. Now we have motion sensor lights at every stage of the walkway. Not sure how much of a deterrent that is if a stranger were to approach the house, but I'm sure it wouldn't hurt.

iris lilies
7-19-21, 4:03pm
Living in Murder City as I do, we do not have handguns. DH has a couple of long guns intended for hunting, but he never uses them.

Rogar
7-19-21, 4:11pm
Three of the houses in my immediate neighborhood were home to working folk who occasionally travelled, but now either work from home or are collecting unemployment. So now there is more neighborhood activity, cars parked around, and more lights at night. Possibly a theft deterrent pandemic effect, although I suppose minor.

About half my neighbors leave porch or yard lights on all night. Mine is dark/light activated and I do leave it on at times at night when it won't attract bugs. I have a motion activated flood light, but when the wind would blow and rustle trees and bushes it would come on, which was a nuisance. I do have some outdoor solar lights around parts of my walkways and back yard that stay on much of the night.

My home defense weapon is an old hunting shotgun that has had a few legal modifications. I keep it unloaded near the front door and might have to hunt around for shells, but I think the sound of the pump mechanism being racked back and forth might have a fear effect. I think of it as mostly a feel good security item.

iris lilies
7-19-21, 4:26pm
Oh our porch light is on all the time and we have motion sensor lights.

Roger, for SURE having eyes and ears on your street from those at home helps deter crime. Standing and watching people who “don’t belong” on my block is a double edged sword. It sends a message to the criminals that hey, people are watching.

It also makes innocent people uncomfortable. I felt bad a couple weeks ago when I was out working in my flower garden out front and I took a moment to stare at a guy in an old beat up car. He got out of his car and came over to talk to me, and come to find out he was a neighbor from around the corner and I knew his story. So I’m sure he felt that he had better introduce himself or I will be calling the cops. And that is too bad.

Teacher Terry
7-19-21, 8:21pm
I purposefully moved into a secure building and choose the top floor to be safe.

pinkytoe
7-19-21, 11:32pm
I live on a street with lots of old retired men who seem to watch every move we make. I don't think intruders or porch pirates would stand a chance. We have heavy duty deadbolts and no cameras. The back fence facing the alley is padlocked when we are not there.The biggest thing for us is keeping the car in the locked garage when not using. Thieves are always walking around checking for unlocked cars.

boss mare
7-20-21, 1:18am
I lock my doors, park the car in a garage, keep an eye out when I'm near a window in the front of the house...

That said, I was just talking about crime with friends in Oregon, and I discovered that my suburb has less crime than about 75% of the country, and one murder every ten years or so, so I feel pretty comfortable. I did have mail stolen a few years ago.

I grew up where you live. I lived there for 43 years. Back in the day no one had to lock their houses or cars. I wish I could turn back the clock and live there again..

Tybee
7-20-21, 6:23am
Living as the country as we tend to do, we are usually surrounded by neighbors who are retired military, and they are always armed, so I think they are a deterrent to crime. I have felt quite safe with the neighbors I have.

JaneV2.0
7-20-21, 8:57am
I grew up where you live. I lived there for 43 years. Back in the day no one had to lock their houses or cars. I wish I could turn back the clock and live there again..

This area is lovely for miles. If I remember correctly you lived in Bridle Trails, which is pastoral and divine. I'm at the top of the lake.

ToomuchStuff
7-20-21, 2:00pm
The new house has an alarm, is frequented by a few others to check on the pet, and is a block from the secretary of the local chief of police. That doesn't mention camera plans, other personal protection means, habits such as locking doors, etc. Also, weirdly, I know more people in this neighborhood, then my old one, and they are happy I am in here.

In my old neighborhood, I am the old timer now. A couple of years ago now, extended family that lived down the street passed. She was the second longest person on that block. Keeping doors locked, putting an alarm sticker on the doors, etc, were some of the tricks there. In past times, older neighbors kept eyes out, and my schedule was the opposite of most, so I could/would watch when others were at work.

bae
7-20-21, 5:01pm
I live on an island 20 miles off shore. About 5 miles from our small village. My house is 1/2 up the side of the mountain here, you have to know how to get up here.

Once on my property, you have to contend with sensors and cameras that are there not to record thieves, but to alert me to their presence.

There is often a very large, attentive bloodhound roaming the grounds. You can hear him alert for miles. He is somewhat protective.

Once you open the gates to the house-containing part of the property, you will certainly encounter the dog, and then me.

I have previously placed range markers, and identified lanes of fire, and arranged the landscaping and fencing to force intruders into certain paths and areas.

And then, well, there's a lot of paperwork to do.

boss mare
7-20-21, 10:26pm
This area is lovely for miles. If I remember correctly you lived in Bridle Trails, which is pastoral and divine. I'm at the top of the lake.

Yes, it has changed so much. my friends and I could ride our horses everywhere. Even Bellevue Square before the huge remodel that was in 1980 ( before then, it was an open air mall with out the parking garage) .

Klunick
7-21-21, 7:59am
Our housing development has roads with lots of twists, turns, and dead ends. You pretty much have to live there to be able to get in and out unless you live by the entrances/exits. Those are the areas where any crime seems to take place as it's easily accessible and provides a quick escape root. Mostly petty crimes like stealing bikes or hitting mailboxes with bats. There has been two shootings within the last year but it was literally at the same house! One was a drive by and I can't recall the circumstances for the second one. Supposedly a drug house. It's not near me so not much to worry about in regards to that. I feel safe where I live and haven't had any reason not to in the 24 years we've lived there. No problem neighbors on our Court. We tend to keep to ourselves and give a quick wave and Hello if we see each other outside.

Chicken lady
7-30-21, 8:56pm
I got a vaccine. :cool:

Jane v2.0
7-30-21, 9:27pm

Huzzah!

happystuff
7-31-21, 8:45am

:+1: