PDA

View Full Version : Hard Neck Garlic - "We want to be alone."

dado potato
8-9-21, 7:17pm
I harvested about 15 bulbs of garlic for the kitchen, after setting aside the 7 biggest bulbs for planting on Columbus Day.
I attach a picture of the garlic waiting to be used in the kitchen. They are on a shelf with a platter that my late father-in-law bought in Mexico.

happystuff
8-9-21, 7:20pm
Nice! And very pretty platter!

Yppej
8-9-21, 7:29pm
Congrats!

razz
8-9-21, 8:32pm
I must plant some this fall so am looking for good bulbs. Nice photo!

dado potato
8-9-21, 10:06pm
I must plant some this fall so am looking for good bulbs.

My crop is Zemo variety. I also have had excellent results in the past with Music variety in my northern garden.

iris lilies
8-10-21, 1:06pm
Love your garlic Dado!

I’ve told the story several times, but years ago DH planted garlic, and I sat down to clean it. It was so fresh and pungent, it burnt my fingers. Plus his heads were tiny and so it was a burden, so I told him don’t plant more, I want to buy it.

My friend grows elephant garlic in our community garden, and yes those are huge, but it’s also too mild.

dado potato
10-8-21, 4:37pm
I have dug a raised bed for the German Red (smaller cloves, not much to look at) which I bought at a farmers' market this past summer, and the Zemo garlic I grew in a ground-level bed. The soil is dug 12" deep, and I added an abundance of compost plus a little aged cow manure.

Each year on Columbus Day I plant garlic. Coincidentally, the banks and post offices will be closed, so I like to believe they collectively will be holding their breath, hoping that my 3 inches of mulch will enable my garlic to establish viable root networks over winter. <wink>

I took a picture of the ready-to-plant cloves of the 2 varieties. I put a $20 bill amongst them to clarify the relative sizes.

rosarugosa
10-8-21, 5:59pm
Dado: I somehow missed the photo you posted at the beginning of the thread in August, but the garlic and the plate made quite a lovely still life!

iris lilies
10-8-21, 6:19pm
I just got done cleaning several heads of garlic, peeling off the paper coverings and making the cloves ready to use.

SteveinMN
10-9-21, 9:07pm
I just got done cleaning several heads of garlic, peeling off the paper coverings and making the cloves ready to use.
I have a dozen heads of garlic awaiting a similar fate sometime soon. Into the freezer they will go. Should carry us all winter.