PDA

View Full Version : Autumnal Equinox

Yppej
8-10-21, 6:06am
Is this date on 9/22 the end of our next challenge interval?

rosarugosa
8-10-21, 7:21am
That works for me, Jeppy. My thought has always been that whoever starts the thread gets to call it. It isn't a whole lot of time though, so I will keep expectations for myself modest. :)

Tybee
8-10-21, 9:01am
That works for me, Jeppy. My thought has always been that whoever starts the thread gets to call it. It isn't a whole lot of time though, so I will keep expectations for myself modest. :)

me, too!

Yppej
8-10-21, 9:05am
Get an electrician in.
Get a plumber in.
If the tomatoes are done producing cut down a tree.
Trim my forsythia bushes (only one done so far - four to go).
Get the furnace cleaned.
Take apart the bed frame propped up in my dining room.
Paint the walls by the stairs that the plasterer fixed.
Get a new phone.
Do some fun things on my vacation.

ETA: Get an eye exam and new contact lenses.

Tybee
8-10-21, 9:14am
Get caller id on my phone.
Write syllabi for three new classes and begin teaching them by third week of August.
Make 6 more visits to see Mom before her hearing in September.
Look at two new potential areas to live in Maine and promote calm, rational discussion with husband about the moving process.
Reduce books in barn to half by number and space.

Yppej
8-10-21, 9:21am
Ambitious but good goals Tybee.

early morning
8-10-21, 9:32am
I am so disgusted with my lack of progress on all fronts. And there are so many fronts - I'm aware that is a (the??) major problem. But I just don't seem able to focus on ONE MAIN THING.
So I reboot - again - and keep trying, right?
So from now until the equinox:
Take apart one of the treadle sewing machines and price the components for sale.
Soak/wash/iron/price the boxes of linens I need to sell, and get the ironing board out of the living room. HOW did I end up inheriting SO MANY throws, tablecloths, napkins, embroidered pillowcases? And my SIL just gave me boxes of linens from her family. I bet I have 75 mid-century tablecloths... and damask, and lace, and, and.... I have ONE table!! At least the cloths are selling fairly well! I've been pretty good about sorting out the torn, stained, or worn stuff, so at least what is left will sell, I just need to prep it. I keep selling the easy stuff, and letting the "needs work" stuff sit. Like the laundry fairies will come do it while I'm asleep, lol.

razz
8-10-21, 9:58am
Wow, what ambitions you all have.

Tybee
8-10-21, 10:58am
I am so disgusted with my lack of progress on all fronts. And there are so many fronts - I'm aware that is a (the??) major problem. But I just don't seem able to focus on ONE MAIN THING.
So I reboot - again - and keep trying, right?
So from now until the equinox:
Take apart one of the treadle sewing machines and price the components for sale.
Soak/wash/iron/price the boxes of linens I need to sell, and get the ironing board out of the living room. HOW did I end up inheriting SO MANY throws, tablecloths, napkins, embroidered pillowcases? And my SIL just gave me boxes of linens from her family. I bet I have 75 mid-century tablecloths... and damask, and lace, and, and.... I have ONE table!! At least the cloths are selling fairly well! I've been pretty good about sorting out the torn, stained, or worn stuff, so at least what is left will sell, I just need to prep it. I keep selling the easy stuff, and letting the "needs work" stuff sit. Like the laundry fairies will come do it while I'm asleep, lol.

That's a lot of tablecloths! I have too many but sorted them out during the move.
Where are you selling them? I should try. . .

Tybee
8-10-21, 11:01am
Ambitious but good goals Tybee.
Thanks, Yppej!

iris lilies
8-10-21, 1:01pm
Get caller id on my phone.
Write syllabi for three new classes and begin teaching them by third week of August.
Make 6 more visits to see Mom before her hearing in September.
Look at two new potential areas to live in Maine and promote calm, rational discussion with husband about the moving process.
Reduce books in barn to half by number and space.

Tybee your first one is funny. I thought I was the only one in modern existence who will pick up a landline and not know who is at the other end.Any more, phone calls just make me cranky anyway so I wish people wouldn’t call me. 90% of the calls are scams and bots anyway.

But I understand how difficult that is because I don’t like Text and really don’t pay attention to my phone either. Email – I’m all about the email.

rosarugosa
8-10-21, 3:02pm
Jeppy: We had our eye exams yesterday at the Costco in Danvers, MA. We were wearing masks, but the optometrist was not, so I thought of you. We like this guy and have been going to him for several years. You don't need to be a member to see him for an eye exam, but you do need to be a member to purchase eyewear from Costco. I know this is not a convenient location for you, but I thought I would at least put the info out there since you were looking at some places that were pretty far away. Let me know if you have any interest and I can PM you additional details. Of course, mask mandates etc. are changing all the time, so there is certainly no guarantee that things won't change.

Yppej
8-10-21, 3:18pm
Rosa I already have an appointment on the 24th near home and if I have trouble breathing I will just tell them that, that I feel faint, and hopefully they honor the existing medical exception to wearing a mask, which does not require a doctor's note but is a matter of good faith. But thank you anyways.

beckyliz
8-10-21, 3:23pm
Maintain healthy eating habits to fit into my MOG dress for son's wedding in October
take and pass Part III of my certified internal auditor exam
have plumber in to check out musty smell in one room; talk about installing a water softener
hoping new furniture will be delivered by September 15 (ordered May 30). I know this is out of my control, but I want to check it off of my list.

rosarugosa
8-10-21, 5:06pm
Rosa I already have an appointment on the 24th near home and if I have trouble breathing I will just tell them that, that I feel faint, and hopefully they honor the existing medical exception to wearing a mask, which does not require a doctor's note but is a matter of good faith. But thank you anyways.

Okay, glad you got something. I should also add that I did wear my glasses for part of the exam, but I had no fogging issues.

early morning
8-10-21, 11:02pm
Tybee, we have booths in two different antiques malls. We've been selling off my parents estate, culls from our homes, and "gifts" from others for several years now. It's mostly fun, allows me to experiment with different collections to see if I like them as well as I think I will, and winnow down other antiques that no longer "spark joy" lol. But you have to be disciplined to not end up with piles of "stuff" in process, and I'm not particularly disciplined!

Tybee
8-11-21, 4:38am
Tybee, we have booths in two different antiques malls. We've been selling off my parents estate, culls from our homes, and "gifts" from others for several years now. It's mostly fun, allows me to experiment with different collections to see if I like them as well as I think I will, and winnow down other antiques that no longer "spark joy" lol. But you have to be disciplined to not end up with piles of "stuff" in process, and I'm not particularly disciplined!

Thank you, that always looked like something that I would like to try, but I think I have culled too much to start now.

Yppej
8-11-21, 4:50am
Went to Target last night where I want to get a Consumer Cellular phone but the electronics department is only open 10 to 5. Very few people working and one employee was complaining how short staffed they were.

Tybee
8-11-21, 5:36am
Yesterday we drove to an area in Maine which has moved very low in the list of where we'd like to live.

Not quite eliminated, but we discussed and neither of us liked it very much.

razz
8-11-21, 9:21am
Curious what you are looking for in your search. If you are comfortable sharing some of the criteria, it would be interesting to read.

When I today consider what my dream location might look like, i want ample good water supply; basic services including good safe roads, good internet; nearby grocery stores, basic medical services with connections to larger facilities when greater care is needed and providers like ear, eye, accountant, lawyer, etc.; long-term walkability/accessibility to meet my changing needs; recreational activities like a pool, senior centre, library and a way to serve and contribute to the building of a sense of belonging in a community. Making this list today has actually caused me to realize that I need to contribute more. I don't want to be a 'predatory senior' using the local services without contributing to the common good.
I developed this list over my lifetime and it is interesting as I read it today to realize how much life's different experiences has impacted my list. It has changed a lot with time.

Tybee
8-11-21, 11:01am
We have two kinds of criteria, the house itself, and the location. Right now we are mainly working with location criteria, scouting out areas we like and don't like. Here is what we are finding:

1. We both do poorly in heavily wooded areas.
2. We both love open meadows.
3. Neither of us wants to drive windy mountain roads in winter. I don't want to drive them in summer.
4. Prefer to live within 10 minutes of a grocery store and hardware store.

5. Would love to be within 15 minutes of sizeable water.
6. Would love to have a decent library, church music program, and vintage movie theater.
7. Prefer historic areas.
9. Would like an area with other retirement age people, but a mix of ages is very good.
10. Prefer to live in an area without Trump signs.
11. Nice to be within half an hour of Lowe's or home depot.
12. Prefer to be within 1.5 hours from family, but will consider up to 2.5 hours.
13. Must be affordable.

Yppej
8-11-21, 11:31am
Tybee I am in a very blue state and see Trump signs even in liberal towns. I think Trump supporters are just more vocal. I have seen one Biden sign but multiple Trump signs and flags in my area. It is not indicative of the way the area is politically. If you are looking for liberal sentiment watch for Black Lives Matter signs and flags. I have seen quite a few of those, but Biden just doesn't seem to generate any enthusiasm.

rosarugosa
8-11-21, 1:24pm
Razz: Interestingly, where I live now checks all your boxes. Our house would definitely need modifications though if we decide to stay here for the long haul.
Tybee: I live in a red town in a blue state. I pass a couple of Trump signs on my daily walks and a lot of "Blue Lives Matter" signs. Where I live would check many, but not all of your boxes. It's certainly becoming less affordable every day.

beckyliz
8-11-21, 1:30pm
We have two kinds of criteria, the house itself, and the location. Right now we are mainly working with location criteria, scouting out areas we like and don't like. Here is what we are finding:

1. We both do poorly in heavily wooded areas.
2. We both love open meadows.
3. Neither of us wants to drive windy mountain roads in winter. I don't want to drive them in summer.
4. Prefer to live within 10 minutes of a grocery store and hardware store.

5. Would love to be within 15 minutes of sizeable water.
6. Would love to have a decent library, church music program, and vintage movie theater.
7. Prefer historic areas.
9. Would like an area with other retirement age people, but a mix of ages is very good.
10. Prefer to live in an area without Trump signs.
11. Nice to be within half an hour of Lowe's or home depot.
12. Prefer to be within 1.5 hours from family, but will consider up to 2.5 hours.
13. Must be affordable.

Lawrence, Kansas *maybe not #12

rosarugosa
8-11-21, 1:32pm
OK, here is my list:

Buy new mattress and box spring
Stain outdoor furniture (carried over from last challenge)
Initiate making plans to get together with a couple of long-time girlfriends who are eager to spend some time with my mom before she declines much further. Mom is a very social animal, and now she cannot really socialize on her own, so I need to get more involved in her social activities (sigh). That is not a favorite thing for my introverted self, but I remind myself that this woman basically devoted her whole life to the happiness and well-being of me and my sister, and that helps me step up to do what I need to do, even when it's against my natural inclination.

Tybee
8-11-21, 4:19pm
Rosa, what a great thing to do with/for your mom!

Eliminated another whole area today, but want to hit a third area later this week.

razz
8-11-21, 5:21pm
Rosa, what a great thing to do with/for your mom!

Eliminated another whole area today, but want to hit a third area later this week.
What a great time to go exploring and seeing the countryside in sunny weather, Tybee.

RR, you are getting to spend time with interesting people with a lot of history and perspectives to share. You might be surprised! I make this observation after my group of friends have decided to share a personal life history which may include birth, family, education, special events and goals going forward. What we are discovering about each other is fun and a total surprise. It forced me to write the story of my life in which I recalled the mentors mentioned in another thread and realized that my life was different and is interesting as are the stories of the other members.

Tybee
8-11-21, 6:23pm

My friend's kids moved there!

happystuff
8-11-21, 6:41pm
I am impressed with the "where to live" lists. I never really thought to make one, but it certainly makes sense to do so!

happystuff
8-11-21, 6:46pm

I lived in Wichita back in the early 80's. Have to admit it was a nice size for a city. Plenty to do, but still able to get out into the country pretty quickly and easily. I'm guessing it has built up quite a bit since then, though.

Teacher Terry
8-11-21, 7:28pm
I lived in Wichita in 1973 and 1993-97. The people are nice and it’s cheap. When my son lived there as recently as 2017 we had great difficulty finding anything to do. Summer is so hot and humid that being outside is torture. Lawrence is a beautiful town and KC Missouri is also nice.

Yppej
8-11-21, 7:51pm
Called Target with some questions at lunchtime as their electronics department has limited hours and was told all the phone staff were sent to an even more shorthanded location two states away today with no advance notice. These labor shortages are making life very difficult. Getting things done that involve other people is like walking through quicksand - except for my awesome brother who came over, broke down the bed frame for me, and also fixed a broken kitchen cabinet drawer. I guess when you are a volunteer the extra unemployment is not a disincentive for you to work. He looked at the ceiling fan and it is too complicated for him. I am on a waiting list for an electrician.

happystuff
8-11-21, 8:34pm
I lived in Wichita in 1973 and 1993-97. The people are nice and it’s cheap. When my son lived there as recently as 2017 we had great difficulty finding anything to do. Summer is so hot and humid that being outside is torture. Lawrence is a beautiful town and KC Missouri is also nice.

I remember the River Festival every year. Great fun and lots to do. I think they are having it again this year - https://wichitariverfest.com/

Teacher Terry
8-11-21, 9:41pm
Happy, I have probably been spoiled by Reno where’s there’s something every week except for winter. I also got sunstroke twice the second time I lived there.

Yppej
8-12-21, 6:11am
I feel a sense of foreboding that the government is going to shut things down again and I better rush to get things done. So tired of this pandemic. My mother already said she's not going through another period of isolation where among other things she doesn't get to hug me for a year. She said you've got to die of something. Anyways, I hope to get through my whole list while I can.

frugal-one
8-12-21, 7:55am
Curious what you are looking for in your search. If you are comfortable sharing some of the criteria, it would be interesting to read.

When I today consider what my dream location might look like, i want ample good water supply; basic services including good safe roads, good internet; nearby grocery stores, basic medical services with connections to larger facilities when greater care is needed and providers like ear, eye, accountant, lawyer, etc.; long-term walkability/accessibility to meet my changing needs; recreational activities like a pool, senior centre, library and a way to serve and contribute to the building of a sense of belonging in a community. Making this list today has actually caused me to realize that I need to contribute more. I don't want to be a 'predatory senior' using the local services without contributing to the common good.
I developed this list over my lifetime and it is interesting as I read it today to realize how much life's different experiences has impacted my list. It has changed a lot with time.

Huh? I don’t know about you but I have contributed for a lifetime. What does your comment actually mean? At a certain point, I feel the “debt to society” has been paid. It is time to hand over the gauntlet.

frugal-one
8-12-21, 8:08am
I feel a sense of foreboding that the government is going to shut things down again and I better rush to get things done. So tired of this pandemic. My mother already said she's not going through another period of isolation where among other things she doesn't get to hug me for a year. She said you've got to die of something. Anyways, I hope to get through my whole list while I can.

I agree with her. We stayed in the bitter, miserable winter last year instead of going south. We will buy a freezer there so we won’t have to shop as frequently but will go to an area where we can at least social distance outdoors. The hardest will be having to travel and be on the road for a few days (hotels and food) to get there.

Your mom realizes her mortality. Time is running out and she needs to make her life as best as she can with the time she has left. The way things are going, it may be a very long time before or if this pandemic goes away.

razz
8-12-21, 9:29am
Huh? I don’t know about you but I have contributed for a lifetime. What does your comment actually mean? At a certain point, I feel the “debt to society” has been paid. It is time to hand over the gauntlet.

Debt to society? When did that phrase come into being? What does it mean?

We have people moving into our small communities from the cities because they sold their homes in the expensive centres and bought real estate for half the price and lower taxes. Nothing wrong with that as it makes good sense.
Except, the small communities don't have all the amenities that large cities offer. The newcomers, mostly seniors, complain and demand what the cities provided. It takes community effort to raise funds for new additions and services. Newcomers don't seem to want to pitch in to the effort. That is what I mean by 'predator seniors'.

Yppej
8-12-21, 9:35am
The largest expense for local governments where I am is the school system. Seniors are great because they pay taxes but don't use school services. 55+ developments are coveted.

frugal-one
8-12-21, 3:49pm
Debt to society? When did that phrase come into being? What does it mean?

We have people moving into our small communities from the cities because they sold their homes in the expensive centres and bought real estate for half the price and lower taxes. Nothing wrong with that as it makes good sense.
Except, the small communities don't have all the amenities that large cities offer. The newcomers, mostly seniors, complain and demand what the cities provided. It takes community effort to raise funds for new additions and services. Newcomers don't seem to want to pitch in to the effort. That is what I mean by 'predator seniors'.

Seems to me that your first post insinuated all seniors are predatory. Now you categorize only those who are new to a community. I believe if someone wants change (senior or otherwise) they need to contribute ... this would constitute a debt to society IMO. If a person has continually (as many seniors have) contributed they have a choice as to continue or pass the helm... this is not a perpetual "debt" IMO. I personally feel I have done enough and now it is time for others to take over.

happystuff
8-12-21, 7:48pm
Happy, I have probably been spoiled by Reno where’s there’s something every week except for winter. I also got sunstroke twice the second time I lived there.

I have no doubts that there is a lot to do in Reno. I've never been, but have heard that it is surrounded by some beautiful country.

Teacher Terry
8-12-21, 9:23pm
I have done a ton of volunteer work in every state I have lived in. Except for being on the condo board I am done. Happy I have lived in some beautiful places such as upstate New York and northern Wisconsin. The only two states I didn’t think were pretty were Wichita Falls Texas and Wichita. The west is very different from those places but I think northern Nevada is beautiful. Southern Nevada not so much. It just depends what you like. I was in Iowa for the first time 3 years ago and it was pretty.

Tybee
8-13-21, 11:37am
I got sun poisoning in Palm Desert. I think it was the altitude.

Yppej
8-14-21, 6:06am
Painted the walls by the stairs. So much easier than painting a ceiling!

rosarugosa
8-14-21, 6:09am
This was such a productive week for us!
Eye exams and glasses selected
Oil change for my car
Mattress & box spring & bed frame pre-ordered (the transaction to be processed this weekend for tax savings, plus they were doing a 10% off deal)
Contractor came in to look at the kitchen and will be sending us an estimate next week. Woo-hoo!
I know the mattress/box spring purchase was the only thing that was on my "official" goal list, but honestly, the kitchen contractor was the biggest deal of all.

Yppej
8-14-21, 6:14am
Way to go Rosa.

rosarugosa
8-14-21, 6:17am
Way to go Rosa.

Thanks, and high five to you on the painting! As a short person, I especially hate painting ceilings, even our relatively low ones.

Teacher Terry
8-14-21, 3:31pm
Lots accomplished Rosa!

Yppej
8-15-21, 8:53am
Trimmed two of the four forsythia bushes. My hand was blistering so the rest will have to wait until it heals.

Yppej
8-18-21, 5:25am
Didn't realize until re-reading it last night I had to esign the quote I was sent by the electrician. Sent that off and am hoping they can still get me in next week. It's just an hourly rate - seems like needless rigamarole.

Tybee
8-18-21, 7:00am
Still have not gone to look at that other house and other towns in Maine. Have out of town guests all week so it will have to wait.

Still have not opened one box of books in the barn. Bah, just don't want to do it.

Haven't written any syllabi and heaven help me, classes start next week??!!

In kind of a distracted daze of grief.

Yppej
8-18-21, 10:56am
And the eye doctor's office called to reschedule. I just can't get things done. They advertise evening hours but it turns out don't really want to work evenings.

Yppej
8-19-21, 12:11pm
Scheduled the furnace cleaning for next month during my vacation week. They don't offer Saturdays and the guy I knew who did weekend jobs moved out of state.

Not my ideal way to spend my vacation but it is overdue and the furnace is old.

Tybee
8-21-21, 10:32am
Wrote one syllabus and prepared one class, the one that starts on Monday. Discovered system-wide problem that school did not know about, so lost half a day on that. But at least now everyone else knows about the problem, and created a work around that others can use, so saved a lot of work for others.

rosarugosa
8-21-21, 2:17pm
Scheduled the furnace cleaning for next month during my vacation week. They don't offer Saturdays and the guy I knew who did weekend jobs moved out of state.

Not my ideal way to spend my vacation but it is overdue and the furnace is old.

If it's any consolation, I scheduled our furnace cleanout on my May vacation for over 30 years.

Yppej
8-21-21, 3:27pm
The blister on my hand is still healing from last weekend's work so no more trimming bushes yet but I got most of the branches in my yard waste barrels which should be emptied Monday though I am pretty sure they will use the gone by then hurricane as an excuse to delay. It is their pattern even when the weather is perfect.

happystuff
8-21-21, 6:12pm
If it's any consolation, I scheduled our furnace cleanout on my May vacation for over 30 years.

I'm lucky in that I can schedule our annual furnaces cleaning on a weekend.

rosarugosa
8-22-21, 7:59am
I have taken the first steps towards arranging the get-together with Mom and friends. The first step is so often the hardest! Not on my list, but also on the Mom/social agenda for Sept is to accompany her to a garden club meeting and to her 66th nurse's reunion. Then I realize I need to arrange for her to get her hair cut before these gatherings. I also realized that there are two people with upcoming birthdays for whom I already have birthday gifts, but I also need to help Mom prepare cards/gifts for them too (most likely just money or checks). I don't know if I'll ever fully get into the rhythm of doing many things twice, once for me and once again acting on behalf of Mom. I am also working to arrange for her to visit her terminally ill dearest friend next week.

Yppej
8-22-21, 8:04am
So glad you could retire Rosa. It would have been hard to keep up with all that if you were still working.

Teacher Terry
8-22-21, 1:13pm
Your mom is lucky to have you Rosa!

happystuff
8-22-21, 5:47pm
Although it is hard, those are wonderful things you are doing for and with your mom.

Yppej
8-22-21, 5:52pm
I am going to start another thread on this.

Yppej
8-23-21, 10:04am
The electrical work is done. They sent a different crew than last time, which eased my mind given DS's statements that the first two guys stole his papers. And the LED lights don't flicker on this fixture!

rosarugosa
8-23-21, 10:06am
The electrical work is done. They sent a different crew than last time, which eased my mind given DS's statements that the first two guys stole his papers. And the LED lights don't flicker on this fixture!

Congratulations!

rosarugosa
8-23-21, 4:57pm
Plans have been made for get-together with Mom and Sis and friends. Phew! It reminded me of being at work trying to schedule a meeting and everyone's Outlook calendar was full, one of my least favorite things to do.

Yppej
8-23-21, 8:45pm
I am going to try to get new phone/service this weekend rather than waiting until my vacation. AT&T keeps forcing me to wait on hold and talk to someone in India who wants to sell me a new phone instead of letting my call go through. Finally after taking an hour of my time and speaking with five different people, none of whom would transfer me to a supervisor, I got the restriction lifted, they won't tell me for how long, but apparently until such time as they call me back to try to sell me a phone though I kept saying I don't want them to call me. By the time I got the restriction lifted temporarily it was past my mother's bedtime and she says my call is the highlight of her day. What if I needed to call 911 in an emergency? I hate AT&T so much.

Last month I got someone in Mexico and he got the restriction lifted on the first call. So it's getting worse.

Yppej
8-25-21, 5:55am
Emailed a plumber about getting some work done, hopefully on my vacation week.

beckyliz
8-25-21, 3:08pm
Maintain healthy eating habits to fit into my MOG dress for son's wedding in October
take and pass Part III of my certified internal auditor exam
have plumber in to check out musty smell in one room; talk about installing a water softener
hoping new furniture will be delivered by September 15 (ordered May 30). I know this is out of my control, but I want to check it off of my list.

Tried on the MOG dress and it fits, although a bit clingy (not snug) on my hips and thighs. Will continue with the intentional habits.
Took and passed Part III of my CIA exam this morning and passed!!! wool-hoo! so glad that's done.
Still need to call plumber
Still waiting on furniture.

happystuff
8-25-21, 5:14pm
Tried on the MOG dress and it fits, although a bit clingy (not snug) on my hips and thighs. Will continue with the intentional habits.
Took and passed Part III of my CIA exam this morning and passed!!! wool-hoo! so glad that's done.
Still need to call plumber
Still waiting on furniture.

Congrats on the dress and the exam!!!!

iris lilies
8-25-21, 5:26pm
Becky, good things!

razz
8-25-21, 7:09pm
Great on the exam and wonderful that the dress is a go. When is the wedding or did you already mention that earlier? You have come through a lot of stuff in a short time so well done on getting it all!

Teacher Terry
8-25-21, 9:31pm
Becky, all great news!!

rosarugosa
8-26-21, 8:46am
Congratulations, Becky!

beckyliz
8-26-21, 1:27pm
Wow, thanks everyone! the wedding is October 8. It's an outdoor wedding, so the temps could be anywhere between 40 and 80! We can move inside to the reception hall if necessary.

Yppej
8-26-21, 7:32pm
Heard back from the plumber and he will be able to do my job on my vacation week, day TBD. I probably requested this too far in advance but after the 4 to 6 week wait for electricians I wasn't taking any ch0,

Yppej
8-28-21, 1:36pm
Got a new phone/service set up with Consumer Cellular. I changed my number as I was getting late night harassing texts via email text so they can't be traced. So now I have to do a lot of work to switch things to my new number:

- Notify people of my new number.
- Notify institutions of my new number.
- Go to all the websites using two factor identification with texts and change the number.

The dealership said when I got a modern phone to come in and they will show me how to use Bluetooth for hands free driving.

Create a new address book. (I did not have data on the old phone and cannot transfer it.)

Learn the features of the new phone.

But at least I have taken the first step.

rosarugosa
8-28-21, 2:18pm
Funny true story: My sister had changed her phone # several years ago because she was getting a lot of spammy calls. Well they assigned her a number that had previously belonged to Mistress Ella of Mistress Ella's Escort Service. Instead of the spammy calls, she began getting calls from guys asking if it was OK to drop by tonight.

Yppej
8-29-21, 10:42am
Started getting ready for the next yard waste pickup in September.

Updated as I decided to tape up my hand and trim the remaining forsythias. There is still a lot of work to be done in the yard but I have done what I set out to in this challenge.

Started calling people with my new phone number and updated it in Google. I am going to try to do at least one thing a day on the phone. I will still have the old phone active for a few weeks transition period or until AT&T locks it up again to try to force me to buy one from them.

Also registered the new number with the National Do Not Call List.

Tybee
8-29-21, 12:47pm
Just fed the roses the last of the Espoma and repotted the poinsettia with the last of the potting soil. Two bags gone from the barn.

Yppej
8-30-21, 8:24pm
Entered my address book on the new phone.

Switched over the phone number (I think) on one account with two factor identification that sends a text to my phone. I could not do it myself and customer service was less than helpful. They said maybe it will be done in 3 to 5 days, check it then, they won't check it themselves. You can add this to the negative feedback others gave on AARP.

jp1
8-30-21, 10:00pm
Yppej I’m jealous that you actually have forsythia. Many years ago (like 30) I worked at a non-profit that regularly had volunteers come in to do random things, stuffing envelopes for mailings, etc. One spring day this sweet older couple that I loved and who often volunteered came in and I asked how they were. The wife GUSHED about how beautiful the forsythia in the median of i-78 were that morning. I’d had no idea what forsythia were but once I learned I agreed that when they are in full bloom they are quite charming. I’m sure this is partly because of this random happy remembrance from my young adulthood but I would love to have forsythia. I assume that they aren’t really a natural for California since the climate here is not at all like NJ, where I lived at the time, (or MA for that matter).

iris lilies
8-30-21, 11:26pm
Forsythia grows well around here. We dug up a huge stand of it that had not been trimmed for years, and spread it all in a line at one edge of our Hermann property. Two more years and it will be a spectacular border.

Yppej
8-31-21, 4:55am
As my forsythia got older they stopped bloomimg much. I read various things over the years including not trimming them late in the year since supposedly only the new growth blooms the following year but nothing worked. But once they turn green they are a nice privacy hedge.

iris lilies
8-31-21, 8:40am
As my forsythia got older they stopped bloomimg much. I read various things over the years including not trimming them late in the year since supposedly only the new growth blooms the following year but nothing worked. But once they turn green they are a nice privacy hedge.

I don’t know the key to getting them to bloom well. Yes it probably has to do with pruning, but our old stand was weak in bloom, had not been pruned. I just think it was crowded and tired, and needed fresh soils.

rosarugosa
8-31-21, 9:36am
I've always heard that you should remove one-third of the branches at the base, the oldest branches, to rejuvenate and encourage blooming.

Yppej
8-31-21, 10:06am
One time I cut the entire bush down to the ground and that still didn't work. IDK.

jp1
8-31-21, 7:14pm
I’m no gardening expert, to be sure, but our next door neighbor is and massively pruned back her rose bushes last winter and this year they are bigger and more impressive than last year.

Yppej
8-31-21, 7:28pm
Updated my 401K contact info and received confirmation the AARP is done.

rosarugosa
9-1-21, 7:03am
Our new bed was delivered Monday, so that is all done. Raymond had clawed the bottom of our old box spring to shreds. I bought a roll of pet screen, and we stapled it to the bottom of the new box spring so that he can't shred it. We had enough left over to do the bottom of a chair in the living room that he's been shredding. I think it's going to be an effective solution.

Tybee
9-1-21, 10:36am
Does anybody have any advice about what to do with a poinsettia I have been growing? I bought it at Christmas and took it Mom's, and it appeared to die there, was just sticks because nobody watered it. I took it home and it has sprung back to life and is about three times as big as it was.

How do I get it to bloom for Christmas? It's just kind of a big houseplant now, so big had to repot it.

Does it have to live in darkness or something to go dormant?

iris lilies
9-1-21, 12:50pm
Does anybody have any advice about what to do with a poinsettia I have been growing? I bought it at Christmas and took it Mom's, and it appeared to die there, was just sticks because nobody watered it. I took it home and it has sprung back to life and is about three times as big as it was.

How do I get it to bloom for Christmas? It's just kind of a big houseplant now, so big had to repot it.

Does it have to live in darkness or something to go dormant?

complex routine to get the poinsettias to bloom. They need exposure to light and then dark and then light and then dark. You’ll have to look it up.

DH did a greenhouse project on poinsettias back when he was getting his masters degree in horticulture. And guess what? He buys them every year. And I toss them at the end of the year, they’re just too scraggly and a waste of window Space.
But that said, that doesn’t mean you cannot bring SOME color To your plant.

Tybee
9-1-21, 2:11pm
Here he is, on vacation in the backyard. Hate to put him into darkness:

iris lilies
9-1-21, 2:43pm

Well he is nice and full not scraggly, there’s that.

Yppej
9-1-21, 7:21pm
Checked my SSN and it does not use my phone number for two factor identification. I was tired but I made myself continue with my plan to do one thing a day with the new phone.

Yppej
9-2-21, 4:53am
And today I switched the phone number on my transponder account. One more online account to go and then I start calling people.

Yppej
9-3-21, 5:36pm
Called the insurance company and they had to email me a whole policy declarations page although the phone number is not on it.

Went to bank #1 and I had to go in the lobby to sign a form. Since covid I try to do as much as I can through the drive thru.

I will try to wrap up changing the number with businesses next week and then move on to individuals.

Bought more roller brushes as the wall with repaired plaster could use another coat.

SteveinMN
9-3-21, 6:23pm
Bought more roller brushes as the wall with repaired plaster could use another coat.
I was going to write "Yppej, you're really on a roll!" until I got to that last line of your post. But I thought a bit longer and I'll write it anyway. You've made good consistent progress on several fronts. :+1:

Yppej
9-3-21, 7:13pm
You made me laugh Steve. Thanks.

Yppej
9-4-21, 7:48am
Painting is done. Made a list of remaining places and people to contact with my new number so hopefully I don't forget anything or anyone.

nswef
9-4-21, 9:49am
Yppej, You're doing great!

Yppej
9-4-21, 11:01am
Thanks nswef. The second coat of paint looks good and it shouldn't need a third.

nswef
9-5-21, 11:13am
Yay!

Yppej
9-5-21, 11:19am
Contacted three people yesterday with my new phone number.

catherine
9-5-21, 11:27am

Nice! Let me know how it works. I still have my poinsettia from last Christmas--it certainly is not as healthy and big as yours, but I'm proud of mine. The first one I haven't thrown out in January. So, let me know if you learn any tips and tricks about getting it to bloom--we can track each other's progress!

Yppej
9-6-21, 4:27pm
Nothing on the phone yesterday but today I updated two more accounts. One was easy and one was not.

I have seven more people or organizations to go.

Tybee
9-7-21, 9:15am
Nice! Let me know how it works. I still have my poinsettia from last Christmas--it certainly is not as healthy and big as yours, but I'm proud of mine. The first one I haven't thrown out in January. So, let me know if you learn any tips and tricks about getting it to bloom--we can track each other's progress!

Will do. I am going to do some more research because I absolutely hate putting him into the dark but it would be nice if he would bloom at Christmas.

Yppej
9-7-21, 11:18am
Sent a follow up email to the plumber to see if I can find out what day next week he or his crew are coming out.

Yppej
9-8-21, 12:13pm
The plumber is scheduled. Switched over my phone number with the utility company, which took a couple tries. They are all working from home still and very distracted when you call.

Yppej
9-9-21, 5:05am
On the do some fun things on my vacation front I wanted to go up in a hot air balloon but the pilot I selected a while back is recovering from surgery. I have some other ideas in mind but still may have one more appointment to work around so I have not firmed things up yet. Waiting to hear from the city solicitor regarding my challenge to the mask mandate as he said he wanted to meet before the next Board of Health meeting in October.

The weather looks promising though for outdoor activities.

Yppej
9-10-21, 4:53am
Talked to the neighbor whose husband offered a few years ago to cut anything I needed in the future about the tree. He still has the chain saw and she will let him know. There are still tomatoes growing in the path where it would fall so maybe in a couple weeks.

Updated my phone number with the dentist and two friends.

Yppej
9-11-21, 7:35am
Contacted one friend yesterday with my new number and agreed we will get together for lunch on my week off - so added a fun thing to do to that list. One business and one friend to go, then I will be done with the notifications. Still need to get to the dealer and have them show me how to use the Bluetooth in the car.

How is everyone else doing?

catherine
9-11-21, 11:53am
Yppej I’m jealous that you actually have forsythia. Many years ago (like 30) I worked at a non-profit that regularly had volunteers come in to do random things, stuffing envelopes for mailings, etc. One spring day this sweet older couple that I loved and who often volunteered came in and I asked how they were. The wife GUSHED about how beautiful the forsythia in the median of i-78 were that morning. I’d had no idea what forsythia were but once I learned I agreed that when they are in full bloom they are quite charming. I’m sure this is partly because of this random happy remembrance from my young adulthood but I would love to have forsythia. I assume that they aren’t really a natural for California since the climate here is not at all like NJ, where I lived at the time, (or MA for that matter).

My house in NJ had forsythia bordering the property and it was amazing in the spring every year. There are two camps of forsythia owners/cultivators--the kind who make little balls out of the bushes and the kind that lets them go wild in the spring. I'm the latter kind. Forsythia are announcing spring is here! Go big on that!!

As I have probably posted before, I was sad to know there is a third type of forsythia person, exemplified by my next door neighbor who destroyed my bushes by literally cutting off ALL the branches on his side of our property line. Needless to say, my son had to remove them all at that point.

Just before DH and I were ready to return home to VT after visiting in NJ for GS birthday party last May, as a last minute gesture, my son dug up a few little sprigs of forsythia from the other border of our property and stuck the little root balls in a container. We transplanted them up here and they are taking off! I'm so excited. I love forsythia, plus they remind me of my life in NJ every time I look at them. I'm looking forward to what they do next spring.

NewGig
9-11-21, 12:10pm
I have a forsythia hedge on one edge of the lawn. I like them because they require next to no maintenance but look nice most of the year.

iris lilies
9-11-21, 12:48pm
Catherine that’s great that you can take cuttings of your forsythia from your New Jersey house! I’m sure they will increase and grow.

I’ve been thinking about the very few plants that were on our property here in St. Louis city when we bought this property. There was a rosebush and a peony, pretty much it.

The rosebush died out many decades ago but the peony is still going strong.I have divided it many times and will take a couple of those plants to Hermann Of course I’m taking tons of iris and lilies that I have planted here and others. I’m most worried about a Princess Diana clematis that grows like gangbusters in St. Louis and I need to find a good place for it in Hermann because it is darling.

happystuff
9-11-21, 1:30pm
I’ve been thinking about the very few plants that were on our property here in St. Louis city when we bought this property. There was a rosebush and a peony, pretty much it.

Shortly after we moved here (decades ago!), I planted a little raspberry bush/vine. It took FOREVER to grow, let alone produce anything. Then it slowly started producing but the birds got before we did. The last 3 years we managed to get about a bowl of berries - even after sharing with the local wildlife - lol. As it was going dormant for the winter last year, dh mowed it down. :(

Yppej
9-13-21, 2:44pm
Finished contacting people with my new number. Went to the dealership and they set up my Bluetooth. I did not realize I needed my charger to use the phone for GPS and didn't have it with me so I still need to learn that.

Started on fun things on my vacation by going hiking.

Yppej
9-14-21, 12:12pm
Did another fun thing by going kayaking, my first time ever.

rosarugosa
9-14-21, 8:52pm
Did another fun thing by going kayaking, my first time ever.

Cool!

Yppej
9-15-21, 8:39am
The plumber came and at the moment has gone to get parts. Inside the box of one of the faucets we found my son's debit card. It's like he is trying to have things stolen so I will feel bad and won't have tradespeople over to the house as this makes him anxious.

DS did not buy the faucet, it was given to me. So it's not like he put it in there when leaving the store and forgot about it. The other faucet has missing parts but possibly came that way as it also was given to me. So I won't say it was sabotaged as IDK.

Yppej
9-16-21, 6:13am
The plumbing is done and for fun I went to the movies. Today is the eye doctor. They called me yesterday and confirmed.

nswef
9-16-21, 11:48am
Yppej, You've a gotten a lot done and even had some fun activities. Good for you!!

Yppej
9-16-21, 6:47pm
Went for my eye exam. Spent over an hour trying to order lenses online and gave up. Many issues - some company websites crashed, one wouldn't let me advance to the next screen and customer service could not tell me why even when I disabled tracking blocking, others had gimmicks like rebates you have to wait months for, or $17 per box handling fees plus shipping on top of the lens price, others limited quantities, others the coupon codes from their own website did not work. I gave up and called Walmart and will go there tomorrow and order in person. They can be delivered to the store and I don't have to pay until I pick them up. It is more but worth it to me to avoid the headache and hassle.

Yppej
9-17-21, 1:00pm
Ordered my contact lenses and should have them in 7 to 10 days.

Got the furnace cleaned.

Yppej
9-18-21, 11:52am
Finishing out my vacation week with fun - shopping today and Scrabble with family tomorrow.

I am looking for a variety of things. If a store requires masks I skip it and go to the next place. So far I got two pair of sweatpants and one pair of jeans to accommodate my growing girth. On our next challenge interval I want to focus on weight loss. It is still hot and humid lots of days and I am not motivated to exercise. Plus being on vacation I have been treating myself to things like key lime pie.