PDA

View Full Version : What Did You Succeed in Learning Today?

Yppej
8-14-21, 5:20pm
I learned that the end that screws into the socket for A19 and A15 light bulbs is the same but A15 bulbs are shorter.

iris lilies
8-14-21, 5:46pm
I listened to a Lily lecture from a major hybridizer in northern Canada as part of the North American Lily Sociery’s virtual conference. So I learned a little about specific species and their propagation from crossing. I won’t be propagating lilies from seed however.

rosarugosa
8-14-21, 5:50pm
I learned that use of the singular "they" is not exactly new. Thanks, BAE!

pinkytoe
8-14-21, 11:29pm
I learned the correct way to prune branches.

catherine
8-16-21, 3:02pm
I learned a lot about bees. We had a stump near our door, which had a slightly hollowed out core, and we noticed bees were coming in and out all the time. We thought they were a good thing--pollinating the nearby gardens.

Learned yesterday that:

They are not honey bees or bumble bees, but yellow jackets.
Yellowjackets do very little pollinating
They prefer sugary substances, like the lollipops that were dangling in DHs work shed
However, they do help to keep some pests away so they're not ALL bad
They are very aggressive, and if you try to kill one, others will rush to defense
Cucumber slices are a good yellowjacket repellent--they hate cucumbers.
They sting you if you disturb their home in your compost (I learned that the hard way)

They really haven't bothered us, but their numbers peak at this time of year, so my perfume-wearing, bee-hating daughter had a hard time eating outside with us. We're leaving them as they are this year but trying to think of ways to get rid of them in the late fall/early winter.

Jane v2.0
8-16-21, 3:06pm
They were murder hornets??

Tybee
8-16-21, 3:06pm
Yikes--what did you learn? In suspense here

catherine
8-16-21, 3:14pm
Hmmm.. did I pre-post? Anyway, see what I learned in edited post above.

pinkytoe
8-16-21, 3:18pm
I have been learning about wasps lately too. I have a stair step wooden planter that we noticed earlier this summer was home to what I thought were ground bees, ie beneficial pollinators. FB group looked at my photo of them and said they were wasps. Because my lettuce and spinach was happily growing there, I decided to co-exist. We have noticed a huge decrease in other pests like earwigs so I think the wasps have been killing them. On the downside, I noticed one today attacking a bee within a flower. When they finally leave this fall, I am going to take the planter apart and "move" the queens.

razz
8-16-21, 3:30pm
Do they control Japanese beetles? They have been bad this year so wasps who do keep other insects under control would be welcome.

catherine
8-16-21, 3:49pm
Do they control Japanese beetles? They have been bad this year so wasps who do keep other insects under control would be welcome.

https://cals.arizona.edu/yavapai/anr/hort/byg/archive/waspsandyellowjackets.html

No mention of wasps preying on Japanese beetles on this site or others I looked at.

rosarugosa
8-17-21, 6:43am
I learned more than I ever wanted to know about Asian jumping worms.

Klunick
8-17-21, 7:09am
I learned that people don't pay attention to their surroundings. Driving into work at 4am, I saw that there was a MD State Trooper ahead of me. Speed limit went down to 45 so I slowed to 50. Car behind me sped up and went around me. He had to see the Trooper because I surely did. I guess not because he flew by and got lit up. I laughed as I passed him. I also learned that people are idiots. Two car accident and they stopped right in the lane. Guy almost plowed into them. Lucky for him, I saw him coming up beside me and slowed down so he'd have room to pull in front of me without hitting them. Damage wasn't bad enough that they couldn't have either pulled over to the shoulder or drove further down and gotten onto a side street.

Tybee
8-17-21, 7:51am
I learned that Georgie Fame, who sang "Yeh, Yeh," also sang "The Ballad of Bonnie and Clyde."

razz
8-17-21, 7:57am
I finally downloaded a free Cornell bird ID app and learned that a bird song that has puzzled me for years is the first song of the day for the Northern Cardinal and the chattering in the background is a Bluejay.

Tybee
8-17-21, 8:03am
Neat--I will have to try that, now that I am hearing loons on the lake.

They get REALLY loud, and can sound like coyotes at dawn.

Although there might be coyotes too. It's a crazy place.

herbgeek
8-17-21, 8:18am
I am learning about Protists, from a Coursera course. Back in high school biology, I learned that there were 2 kingdoms: plants and animals although I remember there being some talk about creating a third group for fungi. Now there are 6 kingdoms, and I have no knowledge of the added kingdoms, so I signed up for this class.

Tybee
8-17-21, 8:50am
This is a Cornell youtube on the loon sounds and how loud they get:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ENNzjy8QjU

razz
8-17-21, 9:31am
That is lovely, Tybee. When I was at a family member's cottage recently, a pair of loons with two chicks was keeping us company. I loved watching the chicks dash around trying to lift their wings copying the parents.

Tybee
8-17-21, 9:54am
That is lovely, Tybee. When I was at a family member's cottage recently, a pair of loons with two chicks was keeping us company. I loved watching the chicks dash around trying to lift their wings copying the parents.

How neat! I have never seen them on the lake, just heard them. How fun.

happystuff
8-17-21, 6:09pm
Had about 5 years where we would go with mil/fil for a week to a camp with cabins along a lake. Loons all over! First trip there was the first time I had every seen or heard one. Looked forward to seeing/hearing them again every trip.

pony mom
8-17-21, 9:37pm
Every year or so I focus on one thing to improve my life or make it easier. One year was dedicated to skin care, last year was perfecting my DIY buzzcut. Now I'm obsessed with shoes, particularly natural barefoot-type shoes. Bunions run in my family and although I gave up wearing pointy toed pumps many years ago, my feet are definitely showing signs of bunions. Almost all of the shoes I wear are flat or low heeled, and mostly quite comfortable.

I've been watching videos and reading blogs. I've been stretching the spaces between my toes; our feet are shoe-shaped instead of our shoes being feet-shaped). Bought a pair of cheap mesh water shoes from Walmart to wear at home; as good as barefoot but protects my feet from the ground. Now my toes feel like they're in a vice in my regular shoes. I'll buy another pair to keep in the car for driving. Bought a pair of Tommy Bahama cloth sneakers that are really wide and very very flat and they feel wonderful. Eventually will buy a real pair of pricey shoes and slowly replace my regular shoes over time.

And I just scored a great deal on Sperry boat shoes and weren't comfy wearing them today. Darn!

Also binge-watched My Feet Are Killing Me! OMG! It's amazing to see the horrible foot ailments these people are suffering from.

It's the year of the foot for me!

razz
8-18-21, 5:34am
Pony mom, I finally, after looking for years, found a pair of sandals that fit like shoes. They are expensive but I walk the dog around 5km or 3 miles every day so needed comfy sandals. Try the ECCO brand. A friend who daily walks 10 km or 6 miles has had the identical pair for the past 6 years.
You are right, feet are really important.

nswef
8-18-21, 12:08pm
Year of the feet! I like that. I used to wear ballet shoes around the house but after some plantar fasciitis I've gone to DAWGS slides. I wear an 11 W women's so bought a 10 Men's ( on sale for $25= I see now they are $35 and many out of stock. But, they have good support and leave my toes free! I do calf stretches and bent calf stretches daily that seem to help, too. I wear Sketchers sneakers and have some Danko sandals (they don't provide much support but leave my toes free!) Good luck at improving your foot-feet.

Jane v2.0
8-18-21, 12:15pm
I learned bioluminescent bacteria played a part in the Battle of Shiloh: https://www.scienceabc.com/eyeopeners/angels-glow-what-made-these-civil-war-wounds-glow.html

frugal-one
8-18-21, 5:11pm
Every year or so I focus on one thing to improve my life or make it easier. One year was dedicated to skin care, last year was perfecting my DIY buzzcut. Now I'm obsessed with shoes, particularly natural barefoot-type shoes. Bunions run in my family and although I gave up wearing pointy toed pumps many years ago, my feet are definitely showing signs of bunions. Almost all of the shoes I wear are flat or low heeled, and mostly quite comfortable.

I've been watching videos and reading blogs. I've been stretching the spaces between my toes; our feet are shoe-shaped instead of our shoes being feet-shaped). Bought a pair of cheap mesh water shoes from Walmart to wear at home; as good as barefoot but protects my feet from the ground. Now my toes feel like they're in a vice in my regular shoes. I'll buy another pair to keep in the car for driving. Bought a pair of Tommy Bahama cloth sneakers that are really wide and very very flat and they feel wonderful. Eventually will buy a real pair of pricey shoes and slowly replace my regular shoes over time.

And I just scored a great deal on Sperry boat shoes and weren't comfy wearing them today. Darn!

Also binge-watched My Feet Are Killing Me! OMG! It's amazing to see the horrible foot ailments these people are suffering from.

It's the year of the foot for me!

What are you using to do that?

I have a bunion and have a pair of Saucony walking shoes that are very comfortable. There is room in the toes... I also buy sandals that allow you to adjust the width.

razz
8-18-21, 5:55pm
I am making salsa and using my Fagor pressure cooker to can the quart/litre jars. Last year I had way too many failures and couldn't understand why. The pressure cooker handles 4 jars at a time which is perfect for me. DH and I used to do 7 at a time but that is too heavy for so I gave away that pressure canner.

I was told and read online this year that the plastic seal on the snap lids no longer requires boiling to soften because the ribbon of sealer has changed. Simply rinse the lids and use.

I reread the instructions on using this pressure canner and realized that salsa needs an air space of 1 inch in the jar. For years, I have used 1/2 inch with success so never questioned it. I followed both these changes and voila, all four jars sealed perfectly. Success! Have two more batches of salsa to can still.

pony mom
8-18-21, 8:51pm
frugal-one, I have foam toe spacers from a pedicure. I also just put my fingers between them, which was uncomfortable at first but is now getting a bit easier.

Adult feet should resemble a baby's feet---wider at the toes. Seeing photos of feet that have never worn shoes is interesting. They look like Fred Flintstone feet, very wide with splayed toes.

https://www.somfootwear.com/blogs/news/why-barefoot-minimalist-shoes I haven't tried these shoes; it was the first article that popped up when I googled it.

I'm on my feet over 8 hours a day at work and I wear Skechers work shoes. I also rotate between three different pairs to give my feet a break. Today I walked to and from work in my new flat cloth shoes and OMG my feet went AHHH and just melted when I put them on to go home. Heavenly. And my work shoes are very cushiony and supportive and wide and I thought they were comfortable. But every day I come home with throbbing feet and achy legs. When I get home I lay on the floor with my feet up on a chair to rest them and also to prevent varicose veins.

razz, many times I reread instructions for something and am shocked that I've been doing it all wrong! At some point I read them but strayed from doing something correctly along the way. And their way is much easier and makes more sense. Duh!

iris lilies
8-18-21, 9:36pm
Today I learned that bees know by sight which flowers have had nectar sucked out of them. The flowers give off a different ultraviolet look so the bees don’t waste their time sucking on a flower that’s already empty.

I have actually wondered about this every time I watch bees buzzing around flowers thinking to myself that they waste so much energy hitting the same flowers again and again. But they do not.

razz
8-18-21, 9:42pm
Today I learned that bees know by sight which flowers have had nectar sucked out of them. The flowers give off a different ultraviolet look so the bees don’t waste their time sucking on a flower that’s already empty.

I have actually wondered about this every time I watch bees buzzing around flowers thinking to myself that they waste so much energy hitting the same flowers again and again. But they do not.

That is interesting.

iris lilies
8-18-21, 9:50pm
That is interesting.

DH Spent the morning at the State Fair and he talked to beekeepers. He learned other interesting facts about bees but I thought this one was the most useful because it’s one I run into and I’ve wondered about it.

Yppej
8-19-21, 8:35pm
I am still trying to educate myself about light bulbs. The LEDs flicker. I am returning some to the store tomorrow. I miss the good old days when there was one kind, you screwed it in, and it worked well.

iris lilies
8-19-21, 8:42pm
I am still trying to educate myself about light bulbs. The LEDs flicker. I am returning some to the store tomorrow. I miss the good old days when there was one kind, you screwed it in, and it worked well.
Tell me what you learn because it’s finally dawning on me that I cannot get incandescent lights. Is that right, I can’t buy incandescent lightbulbs at all? Do I have to hoard the supply I have?

razz
8-19-21, 8:48pm
Why would you want incandescent bulbs? I love my LED sunlight bulbs - efficient and wonderful light.

Yppej
8-19-21, 8:58pm
I haven't really looked for incandescents (because I thought the LEDs would save me money) but I do hear they are now very hard to come by. The LEDs are finicky and don't last as long as we are told they do. They flicker. They don't like being in enclosed light fixtures. They don't like dimmers. They are overrated and high maintenance. There might be some good ones - my son put a couple in one fixture and they work fine - but the print on them is so small I can't read it, and I won't find out from him now the results of what are probably dozens of hours researching them. I don't have that type of time/patience.

And LEDs burn out quickly if they are not in their perfect newly wired with up to date transformered house, so they cost you more, not less. The high cost of the bulbs with their short life negates any energy savings on your electric bill. Lights never were a big user of electricity in homes. Maybe in a marijuana facility.

iris lilies
8-19-21, 9:04pm
Why would you want incandescent bulbs? I love my LED sunlight bulbs - efficient and wonderful light.
Because the led lights are creepy.

I hear there are warm ones, but I don’t know how to find them.

I guess we just started using LED lights recently. I don’t know I don’t pay much attention to lightbulbs that is DHS department. But I needed some lights replaced and I bought LED light bulbs not paying attention to what they were and Jeppy is right, one of them is already flickering and flickering. What a pain in the ass.

Alan
8-19-21, 9:10pm
And LEDs burn out quickly if they are not in their perfect newly wired with up to date transformered house, so they cost you more, not less. The high cost of the bulbs with their short life negates any energy savings on your electric bill. Lights never were a big user of electricity in homes. Maybe in a marijuana facility.When I finished 2400 sq ft of basement space 25 years ago I installed a little more than two dozen recessed light fixtures for general lighting in the space with switches controlling 5 different lighting zones. Over the next 20 years it seemed like every time I went down there one or more of the incandescent bulbs had burned out. I replaced them all with LED's about 5 years ago and haven't lost one yet.

ApatheticNoMore
8-19-21, 9:22pm
LEDs in my experience last pretty much forever and ever and never die. New wiring? I suppose that's relative, this is a 50s or 60s era building. So "new" hmm ... by some definition of new? And they are warm color LEDs.

I do have a few incandescents, that I use for more accurate lighting to check myself in the mirror, to see if I look remotely presentable I suppose. But yea most of the bulbs are LED, I never bothered with florescents much, I used incadescents and then started using more and more LED lighting, until it was most of it.

pony mom
8-19-21, 10:39pm
When my uncle heard incandescent bulbs may not be around anymore, he stockpiled a LOT of them. In his experience, everything he likes gets discontinued and he didn't want bulbs to be one of those things.

Yppej
8-20-21, 4:48am
I thought CFLs were ugly but they always worked fine for me and I still have some in some fixtures.

herbgeek
8-20-21, 5:29am
I pretty much never change light bulbs anymore. I buy mine from Ikea, hardly an upscale store. Even in my wonky former owner amateur wired kitchen where I replaced the incandescent every few months has not done the same since moving to leds. I have a completely different experience from Jeppy.

rosarugosa
8-20-21, 5:32am
I've gotten good deals on good quality LEDs from National Grid. I definitely prefer the warm light, and it looks the same to me as light from incandescent bulbs.

happystuff
8-20-21, 8:12am
My 150+ year old house with probably some of the original wiring - :|( - does very well with LEDs. I actually have had great success with the ones I've gotten from the dollar store, of all places!!! :)

iris lilies
8-20-21, 8:29am
I am probably wrong. Pethaps We are using more LED lights than I think. All I know is the most recent ones I bought have a weird cool electric blue cast. I don’t like the light they give out.

razz
8-20-21, 10:50am
IL, I agree that the cool light LED's are not the answer for some rooms but the warm light and sunlight LED's are a delight. They use so little electricity and are expected to last 10 years. I take a used one into the store to ensure that the replacement has the right base as there seems to be a variety of options.

Klunick
8-20-21, 11:55am
I am probably wrong. Pethaps We are using more LED lights than I think. All I know is the most recent ones I bought have a weird cool electric blue cast. I don’t like the light they give out.

I have gotten those before and hate them too. The kind I use last a long time. Can't remember the last time I've had to change a bulb on the main floor. Husband lives in the basement so he is responsible for that area. Never had to change the lightbulb in the laundry room and that is 24 years old.

catherine
8-20-21, 11:57am
I remember when we put recessed lights in our kitchen and I worried about having to change the LEDs with a stepladder and the electrician told me not to worry--they'd last longer than I will. (Smart a$$). So far he's right.

I don't have a real big issue with them but they don't do well with dimmers

iris lilies
8-20-21, 12:24pm
I remember when we put recessed lights in our kitchen and I worried about having to change the LEDs with a stepladder and the electrician told me not to worry--they'd last longer than I will. (Smart a$$). So far he's right.

That is annoying because i love dimmers.

But in my new abodes I do not have formal dining space in either house so dimmers aren’t as necessary dor the overhead chandelier.. Here in the city I use the dimmer multiple times a day.

razz
8-20-21, 12:40pm
Some now are built for dimmers as well.

Jane v2.0
8-20-21, 4:20pm
I just noticed LEDs on Amazon that specifically advertise being dimmable. I love LEDs for the reasons mentioned, and they seem to be improved on constantly.

frugal-one
8-20-21, 5:32pm
Made a "healthy" Black Forest Fudge Cake and now have been researching other healthy option desserts that taste good.

Yppej
8-20-21, 5:38pm
Returned the first batch of LEDs today to the store. The clerk asked why and I told her they are flickering and she said they will not put them back on the shelf so no one else buys them as that doesn't sound safe.

Still have the ceiling fan LEDs and will see how they do once the electrician is out and hooks that fixture back up.

pony mom
8-20-21, 10:53pm

Our electrician told my mom the same thing when we changed the fluorescents (horrible lighting!) in the laundry room for LEDs. When it was installed we practically needed sunglasses in there until they dimmed a bit or we got used to them.

happystuff
9-4-21, 3:19pm
I have learned how lucky - and grateful - I am. I listen to others and their family situations and it makes me realize how truly blessed, lucky and grateful I am. I have happy, healthy family and extended family members & friends with whom I have healthy and happy relationships. We CHOOSE to care for and watch out for each other, and we CHOOSE to do the same for those we may not even know. I am seeing and learning every day how much kindness and compassion are a part of my life and a part of those around me, and I truly feel blessed. I would hate to be living a life filled with anger, selfishness, hopelessness, etc.

I realize all these things - including kindness and compassion - are individual CHOICES that anyone/everyone can make! It's just that I learn every day (and especially some private events from today), that many, many people DO choose kindness and compassion.

ETA: Sorry, feeling very sentimental today. LOL.

GeorgeParker
9-4-21, 4:49pm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTZ5VpfzoW0

Yppej
9-4-21, 4:51pm
Yesterday I learned there are two different ways to amend the city charter. One is via the city council directly and another is via a citizen's petition.

happystuff
9-4-21, 5:15pm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTZ5VpfzoW0

Wow! Just reminded me of the movie! Blast from the past.

GeorgeParker
9-4-21, 5:36pm
Wow! Just reminded me of the movie! Blast from the past.Nadia's Theme (aka "The Young and the Restless") is also from that movie. It's original name was Cotton's Dream and it was written as background for a very sad scene in the movie. If you close your eyes and imagine a lonely child instead of Nadia doing gymnastics, you'll hear the sadness in it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_Kc2NlFMHo

GeorgeParker
9-4-21, 5:57pm
BTW: The Bless the Beasts and Children movie poster (1971) was obviously based on a popular anti-war poster created in 1966. Anyone of my generation who saw the movie poster instantly recognized the similarity of the two images and mentally registered the fact that "these people are coming from the same place I am."

catherine
9-4-21, 8:02pm
I certainly recall those posters, and the song..

And, happystuff, thanks for the reminder to be grateful.

GeorgeParker
9-5-21, 9:31pm
Back On Topic: One thing I've been reminded of recently is how lucky I am that John Denver hit his peak popularity just as I was entering my 20s. Many of his songs spoke to me deeply at that age, especially Sweet Surrender.

Sweet Surrender was recorded in 1973 when I was 23, having a very bad year, and desperately needed to hear exactly this message. Then over the years, seemingly random events kept bringing it back into my life, always at just the time I need to be reminded of it the most.

Lost and alone on some forgotten highway, traveled by many, remembered by few.
Looking for something that I can believe in, looking for something that I'd like to do with my life.
There's nothing behind me and nothing that ties me to something that might have been true yesterday.
Tomorrow is open and right now it seems to be more than enough to just be here today,
And I don't know what the future is holding in store.
I don't know where I'm going. I'm not sure where I've been.
There's a spirit that guides me, a light that shines for me.
My life is worth the living. I don't need to see the end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBax9ugLF1A

Teacher Terry
9-5-21, 9:43pm
I was lucky enough to see him in concert when I lived in Kansas. He was great!

GeorgeParker
9-5-21, 10:25pm
I was lucky enough to see him in concert when I lived in Kansas. He was great!You would probably enjoy this article about Take Me Home Country Roads https://www.polygon.com/animation-cartoons/2020/5/28/21273717/take-me-home-country-roads-song-movies-studio-ghibli-whisper-of-the-heart

You'd probably enjoy the movie "Whisper of the Heart" too. It's one of my all time favorites. A sweet little adolescent love story. Totally G rated. And it features Take Me Home Country Roads sung in Japanese. Cultural note: In the movie the girl translates "mountain mama" into Japanese as "The mountain is my mother." That's a very Japanese/shinto way of understanding that lyric. It also begins with a totally overdone version of Country Roads sung by Olivia Newton John that I always laugh about.

pony mom
1-5-22, 9:28pm
I just learned that the bass player from a favorite band died last year. The band is Midnight Oil, and they're from Australia. I was lucky to see them in concert a few times and met them afterwards after one show. So when doing some searching online, I found out that they had reunited and recorded an new album recently and toured in 2019. Had I known that maybe I would have gone to see them again. Since they had disbanded many years ago I lost track of them.

It seems many musicians from the 80s are dying and they're close to my age. Pretty scary.

pinkytoe
1-5-22, 9:42pm
I learned that every type of yucca plant has a specific pollinator moth.

jp1
1-18-22, 9:55pm
I learned how to remove an old over the range microwave and install a new one. Thank you youtube! We haven't actually done it yet, but looking at ours it appears that the instructions were accurate so it should work fine. If it doesn't and we end up dropping either the old or new one on the floor I will come back and recant my testimony of learning.

KayLR
1-18-22, 10:48pm
I learned that if I drop by my sister's house and say, "I can't stay but a minute, just dropping this off"....I'm just kidding myself.

catherine
1-19-22, 12:37pm
I didn't learn this, but I was reminded--how difficult a time many people have just getting through the day due to conditions that destroy their health and quality of life. I'm working on two patient projects this month interviewing 60 people total and so I'm getting a double-whammy of stories of struggle, hardship and pain, and in the face of it acceptance, serenity and generosity of spirit.

Greg44
1-21-22, 12:38am
With my new job, my goal is to learn something (anything) new each day. I record it in my journal. For the past six months I have worked only online, that was until 3 of our phone people were out either sick or scheduled off. I had to switch to taking phone calls - I have really avoided this. I just don't think I am ready to be a good customer service person. I was thrown into the fire and as luck would have it I could easily help 90% of those who called. My boss way impressed and I felt good about breaking that mental barrier! With Covid & other sickness going through our office - I feel like I will be spending more time on the phones!

rosarugosa
1-21-22, 5:32am
Good for you, Greg. You sound like an excellent employee! Glad you were able to get past that mental barrier.

happystuff
1-21-22, 9:35am
Nice work, Gregg. It's always nice to know that we have a talent/ability that we may have initially been unsure of.

catherine - your post makes me think of Tammy. I hope she is well.

KayLR
1-21-22, 2:13pm
I "attended" a lecture by two local reference librarians who spoke about and showed slides on many genealogy sites and helps. So I learned about some really helpful ones I had not heard about before, or been reticent about trying because I hate having to sign up for access to sites---it just means more email. Some of these did not require a login.

Tybee
1-22-22, 8:19am
Did my first successful addition and subtraction problems on an abacus.

happystuff
1-22-22, 10:53am
Did my first successful addition and subtraction problems on an abacus.

Interesting. May I ask why an abacus?

Okay, just found the answer in the Hobbies thread. Have fun!

Tybee
1-22-22, 10:58am
My husband is learning, too. As he said, it makes you think differently, which is a good thing as we get older.

I remember hearing as a little kid that abacus users could calculate so quickly, and then when calculators came in, that they could to the abacus faster than a calculator (I'm doubting that) and I always wondered how it worked. Just curious, I guess.

JaneV2.0
5-28-22, 8:12pm
I learned that James Beard's ashes were scattered on the beach where I grew up--in Gearhart, Oregon. Also, that he was gay.

I guess that's not much of a life skill...

bae
5-28-22, 11:24pm
I learned how to remap color profiles in photos.

First, photo right off older iPhone, standard Apple color map.

https://i.imgur.com/3ybaBCd.jpg

Second, remapping that to classic Fuji Velvia 50 slide film color response curves, no other edits or exposure changes, which would of course improve it quite a bit, but I only wanted to change one variable:

https://i.imgur.com/JX8jX0p.jpg

JaneV2.0
5-28-22, 11:58pm
Was it the sky you remapped?

bae
5-29-22, 12:45am
Was it the sky you remapped?

The whole image, across the entire color frequency range, from the Apple-spec curves to the Fuji ones, which have vastly more color saturation. It's sort of fun to be able to recreate the effect of the old film stocks with a digital camera.

dado potato
5-29-22, 1:48am
On Youtube I listened to Tchaikovsky's solo piano piece, "June Barcarolle". I enjoyed the music. Then I learned that Barcarolle is a minor musical genre with rhythmic variation (strong and weak beats) suggestive of the rowing motion of Venetian gondoliers.

Happy June!

Yppej
5-29-22, 7:25am
I learned how to pump up a tire with an inflator kit a while back.

iris lilies
5-29-22, 9:35am
The whole image, across the entire color frequency range, from the Apple-spec curves to the Fuji ones, which have vastly more color saturation. It's sort of fun to be able to recreate the effect of the old film stocks with a digital camera.
I dunno bae, that technicolor edit seems too much to me.But I understand if it is about getting a skill rather than producing a better product.

bae
5-29-22, 9:58am
I dunno bae, that technicolor edit seems too much to me.

Fuji Velvia is like that when you use old school film too: https://www.kenrockwell.com/fuji/velvia-50.htm

iris lilies
5-29-22, 10:04am
Fuji Velvia is like that when you use old school film too: https://www.kenrockwell.com/fuji/velvia-50.htm
For the right subject, i can see its use.

littlebittybobby
11-2-23, 4:19pm
Okay---Something relevant--real world, useful and practical. Which is: That new piston rings for the 62 to 67 Chevy 2 194 six, will also fit 58 Packard! But yeah---there is more to the story than that, but that is the main fact

Rogar
11-2-23, 8:54pm
All of the birds with common English names named after people are going to be renamed. So long Cooper's Hawk, Lewis's Woodpecker, Bullock's Oriole, and Clark's Nutcracker. Wouldn't want to offend anyone. They're starting with 80 species.

iris lilies
11-2-23, 9:47pm
All of the birds with common English names named after people are going to be renamed. So long Cooper's Hawk, Lewis's Woodpecker, Bullock's Oriole, and Clark's Nutcracker. Wouldn't want to offend anyone. They're starting with 80 species.
Oh my. That seems unfortunate.

frugal-one
11-3-23, 5:34am
I learned to play 500. Was told it was difficult but don’t think it is at all. Not a major accomplishment but fun nonetheless.

catherine
11-3-23, 12:13pm
Oh my. That seems unfortunate.

Are you serious? That is a shame. I don't really understand the rationale.

On a related note, I just read an article yesterday about a UVM zoologist who recently had a mouse named after him and he was so pleased, saying that zoologists would rather have their name in italics than in lights. I thought that was cute.

Alan
11-3-23, 12:27pm
This seems to be a case of too many birds with names of white people.

According to this NPR article (https://www.npr.org/2023/11/01/1209660753/these-american-birds-and-dozens-more-will-be-renamed-to-remove-human-monikers):

That's because the American Ornithological Society has vowed to change the English names of all bird species currently named after people, along with any other bird names deemed offensive or exclusionary.
"Names have power and power can be for the good or it can be for the bad," says Colleen Handel (https://www.usgs.gov/staff-profiles/colleen-handel), the society's president and a research wildlife biologist with the U.S. Geological Survey in Alaska. "We want these names to be powerful in a really good way."

The move comes as part of a broader effort to diversify birding and make it more welcoming to people of all races and backgrounds.
"We've come to understand that there are certain names that have offensive or derogatory connotations that cause pain to people, and that it is important to change those, to remove those as barriers to their participation in the world of birds," she says.

Rogar
11-3-23, 1:01pm
It's been a hot topic on the bird forum I follow. As the story goes, the Ornithological Society started to review some of the bird namesakes and discovered purported racists and misogynists. For example, John McCown the Confederate general, or John Townsend (i.e. Townsend's Solitaire and Townsend's Warbler) who stole Native American skulls from graves. There started to be such an accumulation to review and please everyone that they decided to rename them all. The new names will be descriptive of some morphological feature or a region where they are found. McCown's Longspur was renamed, Thick-billed longspur. Some further discussion got into sexists issues. Like the Ruby Crowned Kinglet is named after a feature that only males have. Obviously not all birds are named after people, but there's a lot.

Most of the names were derived from scientists, naturalists, or explorers in the 1800's, and truth be told these were mostly white males for what it's worth.

It's all part of some great renaming. One of our famous 14er's was called Mt. Evans after an early governor who advocated the extermination of Indians. Our state has dozens of creek and mountain names under review. Mt. Evans was just renamed Mount Blue Sky. A local Audubon society was renamed since John Audubon was a slave owner.

If they start getting into insect and mammal names it's going to be a long journey. It can seem like an odd world at times.

rosarugosa
11-4-23, 6:40am
I learned how to use the freight elevator in the Pinkham Building (where we take pottery classes). There are multiple steps involved with latches and grates and weird doors, and it takes most of my strength to open and close them, but then I feel very powerful, lol. It's a very old building and the elevators are like something from an old movie. I won't use the passenger elevator, because the door actively tries to close on you when you are getting in; you need to pry it open and slip through. It's also often out of order, so I really don't trust it.
I usually favor the stairs, but the studio is on the third floor and we're always carrying stuff, so the elevator sometimes seems like a good idea, and it always feels like an adventure!

littlebittybobby
3-13-24, 4:01pm
well, okay---as knowledgeable and experienced and BRILLIANT as i am(like einschtein), not a day goes by that i don't learn some more brilliant schtuff. but, two weeks ago, at the 4-part bike maintence clinic, i learned a couple things. one, was the answer to a VERY complex issue regarding bikes that you wouldn't even grasp(so i won't go into that), and also the answer to a quession ,asked at the same clinic---by a woman, no less. yup, she axed a quessiom they anwered and even i increased my vast knowledge. it was about the subject of cross-chaining. very germaine. yup. but no, nowhere during the 4 part-series of seminars were the subjects of bromptons or ebikes raised, as none of the attendees are weenies, if you get my drift. ha. also, i and one other participants wore ragbag t-shirts commemorating a bike trip across a vast wasteland, just for fun. yup. hope that helps you kids some. thankk me

littlebittybobby
3-13-24, 4:19pm
okay---i learned the other day that a guy from utah by the name of avard fairbanks was a noted sculptor who developed the dodge ram as the icon for chrysler corp, back in the 1930's yup. hope that helps you some.