PDA

View Full Version : FDA approval

jp1
8-24-21, 12:12am
Will it convince a meaningful number of the hesitant to get vaccinated? That’s been one of the common excuses I’ve heard, although I’ve always been dubious whether people were being honest since those same people often seemed ready to start slurping down animal worm medicine to prevent the ‘rona despite lack of FDA approval for that purpose either.

bae
8-24-21, 12:21am
I think it will give some backing for employers who wish to make vaccination mandatory.

Teacher Terry
8-24-21, 12:47am
It will be interesting to see if the number of vaccinated people now increases or if it was just excuses.

Tradd
8-24-21, 6:59am
One coworker was a holdout for FDA approval. We’ll see if he actually gets it.

Tybee
8-24-21, 8:53am
I think it will give some backing for employers who wish to make vaccination mandatory.

Like the NY City schools!

pinkytoe
8-24-21, 10:48am
I was hopeful it would sway DH but he is even more adamant now that it is all a money/control grab. He has always been my best friend but this whole topic is taking us down two different paths. I imagine yea or nay has hurt many relationships.

catherine
8-24-21, 10:53am
I was hopeful it would sway DH but he is even more adamant now that it is all a money/control grab. He has always been my best friend but this whole topic is taking us down two different paths. I imagine yea or nay has hurt many relationships.

Our family is very close, but it caused a rift when DD/DSIL chose not to be vaccinated, especially when my NJ son came up from NJ. It threatened to prevent us from all being together.

My VT DS came right out and told DD that her refusal to get the vaccine was why his [other VT] brother/DDIL would not come to see us when she was there. It shocked her, and I felt bad that I had not given her the heads-up sooner. I guess I thought she would put two-and-two together.

She was hurt, "felt like a leper," yet ultimately got the vaccine and so did DSIL, who did so despite his own opposing opiinions about the vaccine. I considered that act to be a gift to us from him.

So next week they get their second one. I don't know if the approval has changed DSIL's mind, but I doubt it. Yet, he'll get it. I'm grateful to him for putting aside his own opinions/convictions so that he and his wife can participate in family gatherings.

iris lilies
8-24-21, 11:37am
Catherine, I think it’s important that non-Vaxers are treated to family truths. Doesn’t have to be done in a mean way, it’s just fact: hey I don’t want to be in an enclosed space with you because you’re not vaccinated and I consider that a risk. They are going to feel what they feel. Like a leper? So,be it.

Frankly, I think people are being too lenient with my DH who is not vaccinated. On the other hand, the people he hangs out with inside are the construction guys in Hermann, and he claims none of them are vaccinated. They work inside and outside, not always in an enclosed space. I guess they all deserve each other.

I’m only somewhat worried about getting Covid from DH, but there’s not much I can do about that. I don’t worry about it. On the other hand I did worry about the exposure I had last week at the state fair. I’m on day six since that potential exposure, And I’m not sick. While I know that incubation period runs 2-14 days, most of the illnesses show up within five days.

razz
8-24-21, 12:14pm
Catherine, I think it’s important that non-Vaxers are treated to family truths. Doesn’t have to be done in a mean way, it’s just fact: hey I don’t want to be in an enclosed space with you because you’re not vaccinated and I consider that a risk. They are going to feel what they feel. Like a leper? So,be it.

Frankly, I think people are being too lenient with my DH who is not vaccinated. On the other hand, the people he hangs out with inside are the construction guys in Hermann, and he claims none of them are vaccinated. They work inside and outside, not always in an enclosed space. I guess they all deserve each other.

I’m only somewhat worried about getting Covid from DH, but there’s not much I can do about that. I don’t worry about it. On the other hand I did worry about the exposure I had last week at the state fair. I’m on day six since that potential exposure, And I’m not sick. While I know that incubation period runs 2-14 days, most of the illnesses show up within five days.

What a yucky way to have to live, waiting to see if you have been infected. Sure will be glad when this whole pandemic stuff is resolved. It is straining so many relationships and situations.

JaneV2.0
8-24-21, 1:23pm
I don't understand complaining about "control." We live in a society and many, many issues, including medical ones, are subject to some kind of control. I was probably the last person in the country to have a smallpox vaccination, as it was required by my job. And that one came with a disfiguring scar. Shrug.

I heard a clip of a woman at a Florida school board meeting shouting that once you got a vaccine you wouldn't be human anymore. Something about version 2.0 and you glow under black light...Sometimes I think the country's gone absolutely barking mad.

Yppej
8-24-21, 6:47pm
I don't think it will make a big difference. I saw a story on the news about a nursing home that mandated vaccines and ten people quit. In a tight labor market it is easy to find work elsewhere.

One guy at work said he's not vaccinated and he's not hurting anyone but himself. Given the miniscule risk to children I agree. Most adults who get sick from covid did so because they refuse to get a shot. In the news today - unvaccinated people are 29 times more likely to be hospitalized with covid. The vaccinated who are hospitalized are people with underlying conditions who would have landed up in the hospital anyways with something else.

Teacher Terry
8-24-21, 7:00pm
Vaccinated people with underlying conditions are not going to end up in the hospital anyways. They don’t have one foot in the grave as you keep implying. My aunt had HBP at 31 as did most in her family and just died at 96. Her condition never caused her to be hospitalized.

Yppej
8-24-21, 7:49pm
Here is an article on breakthrough cases:

https://www.cnn.com/2021/07/31/health/fully-vaccinated-people-breakthrough-hospitalization-death/index.html

They rarely have severe outcomes and almost all breakthrough deaths are among those age 65+, not people aged 31.

I think my state's current guidance that vaccinated people with underlying conditions should consider masking indoors is sound.

On the other hand I think the decision to make children who face miniscule risks wear masks to school to protect adults who refuse to get vaccinated is ridiculous. A better policy would be to mandate all adults working in the public school system get vaccinated instead of dumping pandemic prevention on the kids. As it is if you are behaviorally challenged you don't have to wear a mask. If I were a kid I'd be acting up in class all the time so I could be transferred to the conduct disorder room where I could breathe freely.

ApatheticNoMore
8-24-21, 8:10pm
I don't think the concern is so much for the unvaccinated employees at the school. Vaccine mandates for that are likely coming soon and the job relationship is the simpler one anyway.

It's that the kids parents, other relatives, etc. might be unvaccinated. There's the whole community problem, and schools being part of the community etc., often dealing with poverty, homelessness etc.

Yppej
8-24-21, 8:19pm
I don't think the concern is so much for the unvaccinated employees at the school. Vaccine mandates for that are likely coming soon and the job relationship is the simpler one anyway.

It's that the kids parents, other relatives, etc. might be unvaccinated. There's the whole community problem, and schools being part of the community etc..

Then the parents, other relatives etc can get the vaccine.

I saw something on LinkedIn today:

"So...you've been eating hot dogs and McChickens all your life - but don't want the vaccine because "you don't know what's in it""

Yes, that is the level of idiocy.

Time for the adults to start acting like adults and get vaccinated instead of ruining kids' childhoods. I can just see more school closures, missed proms, graduations, etc. And if the adults refuse let them get sick and die. Their choice. But don't punish the kids.

befree
8-24-21, 9:05pm
no, "FDA approval" was only an excuse; the excuses continue as "Big Pharma paid the FDA off", "that approval came too quickly and it was rushed," "Biden ordered the corrupt FDA to approve the vaccine." Vaccination rates have been going up lately because so very many serious illnesses and deaths have been going up.

Alan
8-24-21, 9:16pm
Even though the Pfizer vaccine was approved in record time, I'm wondering why it took so long. We knew it was going to be approved by the FDA regardless of normal approval protocols. After several hundred million doses administered under emergency authorization, how could it not?

jp1
8-24-21, 9:30pm
Even though the Pfizer vaccine was approved in record time, I'm wondering why it took so long. We knew it was going to be approved by the FDA regardless of normal approval protocols. After several hundred million doses administered under emergency authorization, how could it not?

I agree. Although a friend commented on Facebook that there was something like 386,000 pages of data. I have no idea if that’s true or whether much of it was numbers that could be crunched by a computer but either way I assume that it all had to be reviewed.