PDA

View Full Version : Gout

San Onofre Guy
10-29-21, 10:23pm
I woke Wednesday at 0400 to excruciating pain in my ankle. I thought maybe a stress fracture but I didn’t do anything. Rest, ice, compression. Thursday off to doctors with diagnosis of gout. 20mg Prednisone twice daily has helped tremendously. Gout is due to a build up of Uric Acid in the blood resulting in crystals forming in joints. I have kidney disease so this is understandable as my Uric acid levels have rise. I don’t eat a lot of red meat and only have 2-3 beers per month. Should be on mend soon, feeling better already

bae
10-29-21, 10:33pm
You have my great sympathies. I had my first, and hopefully only, attack last year, in the big toe, and it was dreadful.

iris lilies
10-30-21, 1:06am
My sympathy.

I had an (undiagnosed) attack of gout last April in my big toe, a common place to experience gout. Very painful! It subsided after a few days.

I have had hints of it in prior times but I never really knew for sure what was going on in those times.

The April attack was brought on by me drinking 4 glasses of wine after a long stint of no drinking plus, I think, walking too long on cement surfaces.

happystuff
10-30-21, 10:44am
My one and only experience so far was also in my big toe. So painful!!!! You have my sympathies and I hope you heal quickly.

nswef
10-30-21, 11:07am
My husband takes allipurinol daily now for prevention. He had 3 bad bouts and was told that each bout does damage...so he's on the prevention. I, of course, feel he should drink more water....but he won't. I think that might help. He eats no seafood any more and avoid turkey, but drinks beer.

KayLR
10-30-21, 2:42pm
My DH has (for me--he's in denial) regular bouts with gout. Besides beer (his usual culprit) he also has to watch his intake of shellfish and legumes.

It's awful. You have my sympathy.

San Onofre Guy
10-31-21, 11:42pm
Prednisone for two days brought 90% relief I am cutting down on red meat,I only drink 3-4 beers per month