PDA

View Full Version : Best Road Trips in Every State

catherine
11-5-21, 9:39am
Not sure if "travel" posts fit into a "transportation" forum, but I guess it's close enough.

I like this article (https://www.goodhousekeeping.com/life/travel/g37104863/road-trip-stops-every-state/?utm_source=facebook_arb&utm_medium=cpm&utm_campaign=arb_fb_GHK_m_am_g37104863&fbclid=IwAR0iU9nuRT4KjDEffvg4nUgl7dCitsqFBnriHrY53 rhiHblEU3lSqhUgt4Y): food for thought.

a) It's a good resource for road trips.
b) It has a good mix of the natural, the urban, and the whimsical.
c) Unlike most slideshows, it has no advertisements and pages load quickly

What are your thoughts about the pick for your state? Do you agree? If not, what would you have said? Add to the ideas for future road trips!

As for me, I evaluated the choices for the 4 states I've lived in:

CT: Yes, good choice
NJ: Yes, good choice
NY: Never heard of it, but I'm game! Glad they didn't default to Central Park
VT: Yes, good choice

From my perspective, other choices would have been:

CT: Gilette's Castle/ Essex / Any of the public beaches like Hammonasset.
NJ: Princeton, Grounds for Sculpture, Liberty State Park
NY: Hudson River Valley (hard to pick one spot), Hudson (the town), Manhattan (come on, you have to at least see Manhattan)
VT: Manchester, Rt. 100 (runs North/South and is one of the most scenic routes in the US), Mt Philo and/or Mt. Mansfield, Stowe, Weston Priory for the religious.

Tybee
11-5-21, 10:02am
Neat article. I like that they are not all the common ones you have heard of, but for Georgia, this would not be my first choice, but I am an ocean person, not a mountain person. I have never been to Picture Rocks in Michigan but would love to go. I appreciated that you could just scroll through and think it's a good resource.

nswef
11-5-21, 10:13am
MD- excellent choice. Assateague is our favorite stop in Ocean City, MD

Rogar
11-5-21, 10:45am
Of those I'm most familiar, they are not particulary poor choices but well known and somewhat popular. At least they didn't mentioned the typical tourist destinations near ski areas and expenive mountain resorts for Colorado. There are far better places for leisurly travel on back roads or to out of the way places, but might be good for people just driving through or near abundant accomodations. My exception would be Nine Mile Canyon in Utah which has been on my travel wish list one or twice.

CO - No
NM - No
ID- No
UT- Yes

JaneV2.0
11-5-21, 11:07am
In my opinion, almost anyplace along the Oregon coast would be more picturesque than Multnomah Falls*. though the trip up there through the Gorge is undeniably scenic.

*Better yet, a drive south along the coast, starting at Astoria.

In Washington, I might choose the drive from Seattle to Leavenworth through the Cascades, or an expedition to the Hoh Rainforest--which--lamentably--I've never visited.

iris lilies
11-5-21, 11:30am
Dumb, obvious choice for Missouri: The Arch in St. louis.

The choices for Iowa and New Mexico, the other states where I have lived, are decent.

lmerullo
11-5-21, 12:47pm
Fl: Extra points for not picking the Florida Keys/ Key West.
NC: also a good choice

Teacher Terry
11-5-21, 1:00pm
Nevada’s was stupid. Who wants to look at naked mountains and a pile of painted rocks. Lake Tahoe is the obvious choice.

KayLR
11-5-21, 2:21pm
In my opinion, almost anyplace along the Oregon coast would be more picturesque than Multnomah Falls*. though the trip up there through the Gorge is undeniably scenic.

*Better yet, a drive south along the coast, starting at Astoria.

In Washington, I might choose the drive from Seattle to Leavenworth through the Cascades, or an expedition to the Hoh Rainforest--which--lamentably--I've never visited.

Agree with you on Multnomah Falls...meh. Oregon has multiple possibilities for the list, as does Washington. I agree the Hoh forest and Olympic Peninsula would be higher on the list than the one they picked, simply because fewer people. But, can't go wrong with your pick or theirs either.

rosarugosa
11-5-21, 3:07pm
For MA, I would have gone with the Mohawk Trail in the northern Berkshires rather than the Freedom Trail in Boston. Boston doesn't lend itself to a road trip with its bumper-to-bumper gridlock traffic.

Teacher Terry
11-5-21, 6:22pm
I loved seeing all the sights the times I was in Boston. I really enjoyed the Rhode Island mansions on the ocean.

Yossarian
11-5-21, 8:31pm
IL- not bad but too easy, there really is only one place to go
GA- OK but depends on your preference, love the area around Chattanooga but Savanah would have been an equally good choice in a different way
AL- just a stupid choice with so many nice beaches on the Gulf and the mountains in the north
VA- like GA in reverse, Williamsburg is OK but Skyline Drive is pretty good too

pinkytoe
11-5-21, 11:56pm
CO-Garden of the Gods is spectacular but is an endless line of cars driving through. Even though we live just a few miles away, we never go anymore unless in the dead of winter due to the obnoxious crowds.

Tybee
11-6-21, 8:43am
In Michigan I would like to recommend Rte 31 as Michigan's most scenic road trip.

happystuff
11-6-21, 6:04pm
MD- excellent choice. Assateague is our favorite stop in Ocean City, MD

Definitely agree. One of my favorite vacations ever was to Chincoteague and Assateague Islands. Didn't realize this: The northern two-thirds of the island (Assateague) is in Maryland while the southern third is in Virginia.

New Hampshire - yes
NJ - yes
SD - yes

Some of the others places I definitely would like to see.

befree
11-6-21, 7:21pm
TX: no way. Why would downtown Ft Worth Stockyards even be called a "road trip?" To me, a road trip is a great drive, not just an event in a city. I would have picked one of the wildflower routes in the Tx Hill Country in the spring, or Big Bend

saguaro
11-17-21, 6:41pm
Been to the one in IL but if you really want an interesting view, try going in winter to see the falls frozen. Got to climb behind the frozen falls for some interesting pictures. Has to be cold enough though. Think it was 25 degrees the day I went.