PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone have the link for non-profit ratings?

happystuff
11-16-21, 9:50am
I think it had been posted somewhere in the forums a while back, but I'm looking for that website that rates non-profits as to how much of the donations actually go to the cause versus administrative costs, etc.

Thanks in advance!

iris lilies
11-16-21, 10:10am
https://www.charitynavigator.org/index.cfm?keyword_list=Stray+rescue+of+St.+Louis&bay=search.results

this is one such site. The first charity I looked up was included. Smaller ones are not rated it seems.

If you are looking for small organizations local to you, they are, if a 501(c)(3) organization, required to file their financial statements with their state. At least that’s how it works in Missouri.

Teacher Terry
11-16-21, 12:04pm
Salvation Army takes very little for salaries, etc. It’s religious based but they help anyone. The major and his wife take a small salary and people are committed. They house and put to work many people with substance abuse issues. They helped many of my clients.

iris lilies
11-16-21, 12:14pm
Salvation Army takes very little for salaries, etc. It’s religious based but they help anyone. The major and his wife take a small salary and people are committed. They house and put to work many people with substance abuse issues. They helped many of my clients.

We had good experiences with the Salvation Army as well. For 15+ Years they owned a large building directly across the street from us that was vacant. They did a decent job in keeping the lawn mowed and windows fixed from vagrants. They used it to store furniture for their various housing programs. There was a brief attempt for a few months to hold outdoor Sunday services there. My neighbors, being the liberal jerks that they are who celebrate only specific kinds of diversity hated the Xtian message coming their way each Sunday morning.

DH used Salvation Army guys in treatment for his day laborers in the early days of our renovation. He picked them up every morning and paid them at the end of the day and then dropped them back off at the Salvation Army residence hall.

I think of them every time I hear complainy pants blubbering about church based social welfare programs and how they are bad. Not always.

razz
11-16-21, 1:14pm
i agree with the Salvation Army choice. I did a search such as you are looking at, Happystuff, and found that the SA was the most efficient in the use of donations. Ever since, I volunteer each fall for the Christmas kettle campaign. I hear amazing stories from donors who were recipients of aid at some point in their lives. As others have mentioned, all in need are assisted as much as possible.

They are very efficient in delivering support to those in need and, in my area, other aid agencies refer claimants to the SA who maintain a database of assistance options and recipients. This eliminated those dishonest individuals who were double-dipping by appealing to and receiving financial aid from a number of agencies at the same time.

happystuff
11-17-21, 9:44am
Thanks for the link and the SA information. I actually have a list of organizations that relate to various family situations, but wanted to check them out before I sent off the donations.

mschrisgo2
11-18-21, 10:37pm
Guidestar is another one, seems to focus mostly on social services

happystuff
11-19-21, 12:20pm
Guidestar is another one, seems to focus mostly on social services

Thanks. I'll check them out as well.

happystuff
11-21-21, 11:17am
So far I've checked on two of the charities I normally donate to, and I'm pleased that they rate pretty high!

Thanks again for the links.

iris lilies
11-21-21, 11:27am
Ugh, we supporters of The Elephant Sanctuary just got really bad news. A long standing court case to determine ownership of “Tara” the elephant was finalized. The woman suing The Elephant Sanctuary for ownership has won, so Tara has to leave.

God only knows what conditions she’ll be going to.

I haven’t checked the credentials of this Sanctuary because it doesn’t matter to me. Since no one else is providing a national spot for the care of elephants, they will get my money. it isnt like there is a choice of elephant santuaries.

sweetana3
11-21-21, 4:14pm
Carol Buckley has built a new sanctuary in Georgia for elephants. Looks good but only one elephant right now and it is a male. My issue with her is she was removed as CEO of the Elephant Sanctuary when it was determined she was not caring for the human employees as much as the elephants. Several of the employees caught tuberculosis from the elephants due to issues such as power washing enclosures and close contact. She was resistant to change as are many founders of organizations. Had a similar issue here in another group.

I am of the personal opinion she is thinking of herself more than Tarra and has convinced herself that she knows best. Elephants are best in communities not alone and Tarra has spent years developing relationships in Tennessee.

iris lilies
11-21-21, 5:33pm
Carol Buckley has built a new sanctuary in Georgia for elephants. Looks good but only one elephant right now and it is a male. My issue with her is she was removed as CEO of the Elephant Sanctuary when it was determined she was not caring for the human employees as much as the elephants. Several of the employees caught tuberculosis from the elephants due to issues such as power washing enclosures and close contact. She was resistant to change as are many founders of organizations. Had a similar issue here in another group.

I am of the personal opinion she is thinking of herself more than Tarra and has convinced herself that she knows best. Elephants are best in communities not alone and Tarra has spent years developing relationships in Tennessee.

I don’t know anything about Carol Buckley but that could be problematic.Founders are often problems.

I didn’t know that they kept male elephants. I Kinda didn’t ask about what happened to the boys because I didn’t think it would be pretty. Well none of it’s pretty.

iris lilies
11-22-21, 12:54pm
Sweetana,now I remember, vaguely, that controversy atThe Elephant .sanctuary.

There was also controversy about St. Louis’ David Baldus being able to visit his elephant, Flora, when he turned her over to the Elephant Sanctuary. I don’t have an opinion on if he was right or wrong, but I’m pretty sure Carol Buckley was involved with that. Flora was a circus elephant who became tired of performing and she didn’t like it anymore. Also I think the laws surrounding circus performing elephants changed.

That reminds me of show dogs. As you know I’m pretty involved in breed rescue and my friends show bulldogs as well as doing rescue. Some dogs love to go to shows. Some dogs do not like it. There are introvert and extrovert dogs just like with people.

jp1
11-22-21, 1:06pm
Where do these elephants come from that we even need elephant sanctuaries?

iris lilies
11-22-21, 2:11pm
Where do these elephants come from that we even need elephant sanctuaries?
Generally, they are brought to the U.S. to perform in circus acts and things like that.

I believe laws now stop that (?) but elephants live a long time, and here they are.

sweetana3
11-22-21, 4:50pm
Bought or bred just like any other livestock. A lot of zoo elephant calves have died due to elephant herpes which is a killer. Male elephants are the real issue since they often have special housing needs and mostly need to be kept alone.

Even in Thailand, a male elephant with an attitude is a very dangerous and difficult animal to house. One of the sanctuary males was was suspected of killing one of the founders of the sanctuary. So they had to send him north to a sanctuary who could handle his special needs. https://elephantsandtheirpeople.wordpress.com/2019/02/17/another-tragic-death-due-to-ideology/

Here the elephants are treated with no contact and protective barriers in sanctuaries.