PDA

View Full Version : December Purge

happystuff
12-1-21, 10:10am
The "magic sidewalk" worked once again and the huge, old bbq grill has been taken away. I hope someone uses it more than we did. The hope is to get a much smaller grill, as we don't grill that often.

iris lilies
12-1-21, 10:44am
The "magic sidewalk" worked once again and the huge, old bbq grill has been taken away. I hope someone uses it more than we did. The hope is to get a much smaller grill, as we don't grill that often.
Girlfriend, that bbq grill is worth real money at the scrap dealer!

I’m hoping we can jettison two of them in the next year or so.

happystuff
12-1-21, 10:48am
Possibly, but I think I would rather see it reused rather than scrapped and that is my hope.

iris lilies
12-1-21, 11:12am
Possibly, but I think I would rather see it reused rather than scrapped and that is my hope.
Oh yes, for sure additional uses as a grill would be preferred.

lmerullo
12-2-21, 4:16pm
Three pair of socks, another underwear and a sleeveless sweater all trashed. Two men's golf shirts in the donate stack. One carpet steamer in very good condition - I used it three times - sold on FB.

Yppej
12-2-21, 8:47pm
Business cards with my old phone number on them. I used them when job hunting.

Greg44
12-5-21, 12:19am
3 Tall barn wood porch decorations - a witch, Santa & bunny. 2 girls Halloween costumes - Belle & Sleeping Beauty (girls are now married and out of house), dd2 graduation gown community college, 2 bags of dw's misc clothes, misc Halloween decorations, ladies dress shoes, 2 frames novelty pictures from girls bedrooms (again, married and out of the house - years ago!), water ski vest (we have never owned a boat), Big score as my dw was really on board with todays load up. When she was pulling out the ski vest there was some misc balls, bats, mitts etc. I mentioned grab those...she balked. "We have a grandson coming - let's keep those." THE grandson is isn't due to be born until later this month! At that point I knew our little session was over for today!

iris lilies
12-5-21, 9:08am
I didnt even let a bag of “goodies” (god how I hate that term) enter my house. Yesterday’s dog parade was fun but they forced a “goody bag worth $60!!!” on each participant, so I gave mine away. I dont even know what was in it. My dog is none the wiser.

happystuff
12-5-21, 11:40am
LOL, Greg. It's always wise to know when it is time to stop for the day.

Greg44
12-5-21, 6:53pm
Purge of sorts. Since I was in college, I have researched part time for clients - for 37 years. While I haven't advertised for years, I still have a couple firms that would hire me on a regular basis. Because the Library has been closed, I haven't researched at all since the beginning of Covid. I realized while having the extra pocket money was nice, it was not worth the hassle of my time. I wrote both of firms this a.m. that I was taking a "pause" from doing research and appreciated all their business in the past. I paused - didn't want to completely burn my bridges!

Also did an electronic purge - went through my list of "subscribed" YouTube channels and deleted all that I no longer was interested in, or that they have stopped adding new content.
I started with 58. Then I reviewed the list again. Then again, each time eliminating a couple channels, and finally had cut out about 27 channels. I would like to cut out some of friends off the Facebook -- except I don't have a Facebook, it is my wife's account -- so i better not defriend anyone, though there are several I would like to cut out!!

Rogar
12-5-21, 7:10pm
A paint purge is on my December list. I've kept parts of gallons in the garage from interior and outside painting for touch ups, but most of it is several years old and samples I've checked are no longer good. I think I have a place that will dispose of it properly. I finally put my gas canister in the trash since all of my yard tools are now on batteries or corded. I'd kept it around in case electric was not working for me but the test period is over. And while I'm in the garage, a few unused tools to take to Habitat.

All of my outdoor Holiday lights are solar now, so the corded ones will go this year.

I'm undecided on a book purge. I have some favorite books I'm certain not to reread again, but it's hard to get rid of the favorites. I have a few tools that are sort of like that, too

rosarugosa
12-6-21, 5:54am
Sis and I have launched another major purge at Mom's house, with Mom's permission. She has lost her hearing aids again, and this time we cannot find them anywhere. There is just so much clutter that it makes everything a bit more difficult. Sister and I find it distracting and overwhelming, and it certainly can't be doing Mom any good. The tricky part is trying to balance some tidiness and order with her "out of sight, out of mind" issues. I think we can make some headway by editing out some of the superfluous and redundant stuff so that sheer volume is decreased. We took away and donated 4 large bags of mostly books. She has shelves in her living room that I would like to repurpose with some clearly-labeled storage containers for some of the items she has spread over all the horizontal surfaces, e.g. hearing aid supplies, CDs, DVDs, papers of sentimental value. She likes to Swiffer and we had culled some Swiffer mops a few years ago, but she still has at least 6 of them, and I think that one upstairs and one downstairs should be sufficient. I gave away a big box of xmas cards on our local Facebook page because Mom hasn't sent xmas cards for years.
She truly does have every horizontal surface in her good-sized house covered with stuff - kitchen counters, kitchen table, dining room table, two desks, coffee table, parlor end tables, bathroom counter, all bureaus and night-tables in the three bedrooms. And then she sets up little tv tables when she needs more space for stuff. It makes for a really dusty environment as well, and she has serious asthma/COPD. So we have our work cut out for us! We did improve things quite a bit a few years back (I know it doesn't sound like it, but it's true), but now it's time to take it to the next level.

Tybee
12-6-21, 7:30am
Sis and I have launched another major purge at Mom's house, with Mom's permission. She has lost her hearing aids again, and this time we cannot find them anywhere. There is just so much clutter that it makes everything a bit more difficult. Sister and I find it distracting and overwhelming, and it certainly can't be doing Mom any good. The tricky part is trying to balance some tidiness and order with her "out of sight, out of mind" issues. I think we can make some headway by editing out some of the superfluous and redundant stuff so that sheer volume is decreased. We took away and donated 4 large bags of mostly books. She has shelves in her living room that I would like to repurpose with some clearly-labeled storage containers for some of the items she has spread over all the horizontal surfaces, e.g. hearing aid supplies, CDs, DVDs, papers of sentimental value. She likes to Swiffer and we had culled some Swiffer mops a few years ago, but she still has at least 6 of them, and I think that one upstairs and one downstairs should be sufficient. I gave away a big box of xmas cards on our local Facebook page because Mom hasn't sent xmas cards for years.
She truly does have every horizontal surface in her good-sized house covered with stuff - kitchen counters, kitchen table, dining room table, two desks, coffee table, parlor end tables, bathroom counter, all bureaus and night-tables in the three bedrooms. And then she sets up little tv tables when she needs more space for stuff. It makes for a really dusty environment as well, and she has serious asthma/COPD. So we have our work cut out for us! We did improve things quite a bit a few years back (I know it doesn't sound like it, but it's true), but now it's time to take it to the next level.

This sounds like a great plan, especially reducing redundant stuff. I have been noticing my tendency to pile stuff on horizontal surfaces lately and I swear this is the week I clear off all horizontal surfaces in my house--it is really, really bugging me.

iris lilies
12-6-21, 7:46am
Good luck, rosa. Clean horizontal surfaces are important in housekeeping.

happystuff
12-6-21, 9:12am
Sounds like you have made a decent dent and have a good plan. rosa. Good luck to you and your sister!

Teacher Terry
12-7-21, 1:21am
When a major purge needed to be done at my friend’s house that had Alzheimer’s my ex husband would take her out for the day to our house so she couldn’t interfere. She wouldn’t part with anything. Then my friend and I worked under her husband’s supervision. He couldn’t help because he was dying from cancer. I have asthma and allergies and I have to say it’s been much better since I downsized my decorative items. Also having a smaller space means I clean more often because it’s faster and easier.

rosarugosa
12-7-21, 5:44am
When a major purge needed to be done at my friend’s house that had Alzheimer’s my ex husband would take her out for the day to our house so she couldn’t interfere. She wouldn’t part with anything. Then my friend and I worked under her husband’s supervision. He couldn’t help because he was dying from cancer. I have asthma and allergies and I have to say it’s been much better since I downsized my decorative items. Also having a smaller space means I clean more often because it’s faster and easier.

Fortunately Mom is quite cooperative, and she understands that we are trying to make her space a good one to enable her to live independently in her own home for as long as possible. We are kind of starting with the lower-hanging fruit though. I can envision some future sessions where Sis & I do some work while Mom is out for a ride with our caregiver/friend.

hana
12-9-21, 2:56pm
Sounds like you and sis have a great plan, rosa. Glad your mom understands and is cooperative.

Been giving away books in small lots through the local Buy Nothing group. The theme lots like All the Books in a Series, Yesterday's Future Today (Science fiction books published in the 60s that take place in the 2020s), Find Your Next Favorite Author (anthologies), and Airport Reading (random assortment of paperbacks).

I'll admit it's fun coming up with themes for the lots, though I wish I could just drop them off somewhere. The lots move quickly once I post them, giving priority to the first to pick up also helps.

Yppej
12-9-21, 3:47pm
Continuing to winnow through recipes.

rosarugosa
12-9-21, 5:42pm
Sounds like you and sis have a great plan, rosa. Glad your mom understands and is cooperative.

Been giving away books in small lots through the local Buy Nothing group. The theme lots like All the Books in a Series, Yesterday's Future Today (Science fiction books published in the 60s that take place in the 2020s), Find Your Next Favorite Author (anthologies), and Airport Reading (random assortment of paperbacks).

I'll admit it's fun coming up with themes for the lots, though I wish I could just drop them off somewhere. The lots move quickly once I post them, giving priority to the first to pick up also helps.

Are there any Little Free Libraries nearby that you can help to stock?

Mom was at an appointment with Sis when I dropped off groceries today, so I gathered another batch of cards and am offering them up on Facebook.
Oh, and I gave away two cartons of macadamia nut milk via FB yesterday. Those were bought by DH, and he had decided he didn't like it.

pinkytoe
12-9-21, 6:54pm
paint purge
Our local Sherwin Williams takes back old paint. It is some sort of recycling program.

lmerullo
12-10-21, 9:16am
Two pair of pants and one pair of shorts that are too low rise for me - I'm too old to worry if my butt shows when I bend over.

Several towels repurposed to rags.

A can of PAM spray that expired in 2018! I think it was recently purchased, and not languishing in the pantry...which is concerning.

Gift bags and misc wrap, again.

A few seasonal decor items that don't fit my style any longer and are aged.

lmerullo
12-10-21, 4:18pm
I was on a roll today: two tablecloths, many placemats, six cloth napkins, one hoodie - it was put together wrong, and always looked twisted. Two generic tablets bought for grandkids in case of an iPad emergency - likely never used. One old cell phone and case. Two cellphone clips. Two.more golf shirts from hubby's closet.

rosarugosa
12-10-21, 6:11pm
Lmerullo: It certainly does sound like you were on a roll, good job!

Rogar
12-10-21, 7:38pm
I took five or six medium sized boxes to ARC and Habitat today. An accumulation of a few months with clothes, books, a few tools, and misc. I think for left-over paint I'm going to start with the paint hardener that HD sells. I'm getting close to selling some mismatched sterling utensils that I've inherited but have never used. The emotional attachment is almost gone.

My home had an early 70's wall mount rotary phone when I moved in. Similar models seem to be going for $50-$100 on eBay, which is sort of wierd. Undecided if I will eBay it or donate.

rosarugosa
12-12-21, 6:38pm
We hauled another 3 large bags of stuff from Mom's house today. I already have someone picking up yet another batch of Christmas cards tomorrow. I will be going through and giving and donating the rest of the stuff over the next few days.

sweetana3
12-12-21, 6:47pm
This month was a huge clean out of craft room. Items with value are in draft form for ebay listing. Balance is boxed up for the guild sales booth, the library and a thrift shop. Husband is amazed and so am I. Have fabric to tackle but first need to access it behind other boxes of fabric. hahaha.

I have found that the excessive books and patterns were merely cluttering up my mind and making my life harder with too many choices. I do not need to own everything printed. Doubt I will miss any of them.

Tradd
12-12-21, 8:29pm

The lot themes sound fun! Good way to do it!

happystuff
12-13-21, 10:07am
Gave two doorway gates to the neighbor and an extra Brita pitcher to another neighbor over the weekend. Have also been cleaning for the holidays and loading up the donation boxes for pickup this Friday.

sweetana3
12-13-21, 11:45am
Husband cleared out all but two ties. A Red Gold Tomato tie went to our local baker who has Red Gold as a team sponsor. Others went to a neighbor for crafting since no one wanted them on Ebay.

Tradd
12-13-21, 12:56pm
Cleared out some diving magazines. I’d kept them but never referred back to them. I’ll be pitching future issues after I read them.

beckyliz
12-13-21, 2:15pm
Sold a fashion puffer vest on Poshmark yesterday - got it in the mail this morning. Out of my house.

Yppej
12-13-21, 5:24pm
DS has been cleaning and filling up the recycling so I am going to take my recycling to work. We have a recycling dumpster.

rosarugosa
12-14-21, 5:46am
DS has been cleaning and filling up the recycling so I am going to take my recycling to work. We have a recycling dumpster.

That's a really good thing (the fact that he's been cleaning), right?

Yppej
12-14-21, 5:56am
That's a really good thing (the fact that he's been cleaning), right?

Yes.

happystuff
12-17-21, 10:25am
Five bags of clothing and a xerox box of misc. stuff have been picked up this morning! Thrilled that other members of the household got on board and actually cleaned some stuff out to add to the donations. (Didn't count, but LOTS of stuff. LOL)

Yppej
12-17-21, 12:48pm
The work recycling dumpster only takes paper and cardboard, not plastic and metal, but I got rid of a few items in it. Not decluttering much but doing well at not buying/bringing new things into the house.

lmerullo
12-19-21, 2:40pm
Two pair of fins and a life jacket to DS.

A few dog toys left in the bark park.

Hubby claimed I'd thrown away something of his - a real nono - and thus resulted in him decluttering a garage shelf. he found the item.

Yppej
12-19-21, 3:23pm
A washcloth, a pair of underpants.

Tybee
12-19-21, 3:39pm
I just purged 5/6 of a driveway of snow.

I really, really need to move back to South Carolina, I think. My husband has been sick for weeks and was too sick to get the blade on the mower and plow the driveway, so I did it with one cruddy broken plastic snow shovel. I just can't function solo here, it's too hard.

Yppej
12-19-21, 4:03pm
I just purged 5/6 of a driveway of snow.

I really, really need to move back to South Carolina, I think. My husband has been sick for weeks and was too sick to get the blade on the mower and plow the driveway, so I did it with one cruddy broken plastic snow shovel. I just can't function solo here, it's too hard.

Can you hire a plow service until he is better?

Tybee
12-19-21, 4:29pm
I guess. that's a good suggestion.

rosarugosa
12-19-21, 5:26pm
Mom: Anything you want to do is OK with me. I am agreeable, because I know you only want to do what is best for me.
Also Mom: I don't care if that letter opener is broken. It is special to me and I want to keep it. I know I have several others, and no, you cannot throw it away. :laff:

Tybee
12-20-21, 7:59am
It must be something about letter openers and the Great Generation. I never had one, and now I own two, one from each parent.

rosarugosa
12-20-21, 8:27am
It must be something about letter openers and the Great Generation. I never had one, and now I own two, one from each parent.

LOl, yes, I do have one that someone gave me a long time ago. It's carved of wood, from Africa. DH uses it for scratch tickets, and I sometimes use it to scrape a label off something, miscellaneous uses, but never to open letters. I do that with my bare hands!

razz
12-20-21, 12:45pm
I have two letter openers - one was a gift for helping with the local Literacy Council and another pewter one was a gift for serving with another on an association board during her term as President. I do find them useful.

beckyliz
12-20-21, 1:34pm
sold a pair of shoes on Poshmark yesterday - shipped today.

hana
12-21-21, 5:15pm
Went through my address book and deleted names and numbers. Mostly numbers from one sided friendships, places that closed, and deceased friends and relatives. The last one is the hardest.

lmerullo
12-21-21, 8:28pm
A Tinkerbell beach chair.

Several partially colored in books.

Dried out markers.

More solo socks, and a rag with something hard on it. It was a fave microfiber, but could scratch things now.

A couple food storage lids or bottoms that aren't a pair.

Merged and purged cleaners under the bathroom sink.

Ladies personal care items out - the box was open and one or two used, so I left them in the work restroom.

Scented lotions that might be too old. What is the lifespan? These were at least five years old.

Hair gel and hair sparkling stuff.

All in all, the trash bag was mostly full.

Yppej
12-21-21, 8:37pm
Hana I am also working on e-clutter. It piles up over time too.

Lmerullo if it still works I don't think a lotion would expire.

It was so nice to go this year to a holiday party where you didn't have to dress up. I am thinking about getting rid of my formal wear.

rosarugosa
12-22-21, 6:53am
Hana I am also working on e-clutter. It piles up over time too.

Lmerullo if it still works I don't think a lotion would expire.

It was so nice to go this year to a holiday party where you didn't have to dress up. I am thinking about getting rid of my formal wear.

I agree on the lotion as long as it doesn't have rancid smell. That stuff can last for a really long time. I would be hesitant on getting rid of the formal wear. There may come an occasion where you would wish to have it, and it's not as easy or inexpensive to replace as some other clothing categories.

Teacher Terry
12-22-21, 1:05pm
Yppej, I would save a few nice outfits because you never know when you will need them. I don’t think lotion goes bad either. I took purses and 4 matching snack plates to the thrift store yesterday.

hana
12-26-21, 12:29am
Husband was looking for a recipe and couldn't find it anywhere. We looked in cookbooks and in the junk drawer. Finally found it in the junk drawer and spent 15 minutes going through the drawer and threw warranties and manuals for things we no longer own into the recycling bin. Also tossed some papers that were so old the ink faded and an old credit card that expired in 2004. It can now close without slamming it.

I wanted to a major cull of it for years, but husband gets mad when I bring it up. I told him it's his and I will pretend it does not exist. Hoping I can get him to do more culling. I also typed up a copy of the recipe as a back up, it's in his late mother's handwriting so I won't toss it and will try to find a better place for it.

Tybee
12-26-21, 4:53am
Hana, I have a family recipe binder that is just family recipes in plastic sleeves. I love seeing my Grandmother's handwriting and now my mom's. But I just went to look at it and realized I put the 1934 Gas Company recipes in there, too, and a Durkee's Chicago World's Fair recipe book. I guess that makes sense. Sort of. Same era?

happystuff
12-26-21, 9:21am
hana, if it typed up on only one side of a piece of paper, why not put the handwritten recipe on the back of the typed version.

catherine
12-26-21, 10:51am
Hana, I have a family recipe binder that is just family recipes in plastic sleeves. I love seeing my Grandmother's handwriting and now my mom's. But I just went to look at it and realized I put the 1934 Gas Company recipes in there, too, and a Durkee's Chicago World's Fair recipe book. I guess that makes sense. Sort of. Same era?

I have my mother's old recipe tin, and I love it for the same reason, Tybee!! It has her Christmas cookie recipe in it on an index card that has multiple tack holes from when she'd tack it up to follow the recipe. She has "Joannie's Pound Cake" and "Claudia's Spaghetti sauce" and there are recipes in my great aunt's handwriting and in my grandmother's handwriting. It's one of my treasures.

hana, DH also went on a frustration purge of a desk where he keeps his odd screws and manuals. I know exactly how you feel about letting the stuff go and then enduring the outcome of his not being able to put his finger on things that are in a pile of old lottery tickets, old hardware, miscellaneous receipts, etc. He cleaned out his junk pile the other day, too, so hopefully that will be it until he's looking for the next thing. Not that I'm perfect! Far from it. I have my own little stashes for sure.

pinkytoe
12-26-21, 11:23am
husband gets mad when I bring it up.
Ditto.

mschrisgo2
12-28-21, 12:49am
Cleaned out my email this evening.
Also bagged up the scraps from my sewing/quilting projects for Christmas gifts- scraps will go to my cousin when we have lunch on Thursday. She only makes scrappy quilts.

Last evening I groomed all 3 of my dogs (cocker spaniels), reorganized my grooming tools, and threw away several bottles of dog shampoo and conditioner that I never use because they don’t work very well.

Motivated by lots of time on my hands, and Very Cold weather- it may very well snow here tomorrow, hardly ever snows in this part of California, 3 times in the last 110 years- so I’m not doing anything outdoors, and no need to go anywhere. However, living in a small space necessitates constant editing of contents, so as to leave room for person and dogs.

rosarugosa
12-28-21, 5:23am
I cleaned out the kitchen utensil drawer yesterday and got rid of several things: some to trash, some to donate, and some items relocated to better places. Oddly, there were a couple of items we both swear we never saw before, so someone is clearly sneaking into our house at night adding random items to our utensil drawer!
:laff:

iris lilies
12-28-21, 10:32am
My work yesterday was to empty three cabinets and chests, touching each thing in them and sorting them as to where they should go. For those of you who like to count individual things I probably touched 300+ items. Here are the results:

Dishes that will move with me to Hermann:

Dishes that are out on my porch for a free pick up advertised on craigslist:

Victorian dining accoutrements such as bone dishes and napkin rings, nice enough to donate to the park Conservancy sale:

Sterling silver items I will sell on eBay and donate proceeds to Park Conservancy. I will spend the time marketing them on eBay because I can get a higher price than simply donating them with a box of junk to the Conservancy.

Another large group of items were 30+ linen napkins. I’m taking the super nice ones to my condo and will take the rest to Hermann. I’m really up in the air about some of them, but we will see if I end up using them or not. They are so luxurious!

i’m pretty good about Marie Kondo-ing this stuff in that I can make decisions very quickly as to if it brings me joy or not. One group I’m stuck on though and I had to set aside is cranberry glass. It’s very Victorian and it doesn’t fit with my future decor. But the drinking glasses are really pretty and I hate to give them up but I don’t know where they’re going to live in the future so I’m just gonna let them sit for a while until a solution comes to me.

Since everything in these cabinets were ornamental, none of them very useful at all, it came down to bringing me joy or not.

nswef
12-28-21, 10:55am
Good job, folks! IL, I have many napkin rings, too...they are in the attic in silver cloth...Haven't used them for years. Haven't entertained that way for years. You may have inspired me to at least use them. If your cranberry glasses feel good in you hand maybe you could use them every day. Not display, but use.

Teacher Terry
12-28-21, 11:09am
When I made this move I decided to use my good dishes and glasses daily. That’s what a would do with the cranberry glasses. All the dishes are pretty.

iris lilies
12-28-21, 11:17am
Good job, folks! IL, I have many napkin rings, too...they are in the attic in silver cloth...Haven't used them for years. Haven't entertained that way for years. You may have inspired me to at least use them. If your cranberry glasses feel good in you hand maybe you could use them every day. Not display, but use.
You know, even though that is the obvious choice -use them – it didn’t really occur to me. I guess that’s because my color scheme does not accommodate cranberry/hot pink. But maybe it does? Will someone judge me if I use them? Ha ha

But you are right, I should really consider doing that. I have glass fronted drinks cabinet in my condo that would support me using them as well as display.

In my condo I am using my former “fine China” as well as sterling silver.

sweetana3
12-28-21, 11:34am
Iris, that selling on Ebay is what we are doing. The money goes directly to our chosen charity. They would never get the prices we can get on Ebay and since hubby has a business on ebay, it is fairly easy to list. (haha, he does half the work).

So far I have decluttered $3,000 worth of stuff that I do not even miss.

lmerullo
12-28-21, 12:11pm
That's a lot of decisions, IL!

Today was several spices, a few holiday decor items and a pair of jeans.

It may seem like I'm jumping around, but the core work is systematic, and then the randoms are usually things used or discovered that no.longer serve me.

iris lilies
12-28-21, 12:32pm
Iris, that selling on Ebay is what we are doing. The money goes directly to our chosen charity. They would never get the prices we can get on Ebay and since hubby has a business on ebay, it is fairly easy to list. (haha, he does half the work).

So far I have decluttered $3,000 worth of stuff that I do not even miss.

Good for you! To line in my own pockets it is not worth it to me to do these eBay sales. But during winter slow time I can motivate myself to do eBay sales for this organization. I am at $1500 in sales (not all ebay) but there’s not much else to come out of my house that I’m willing to eBay and ship.

I do have extensive plans for the next in-person sale held by our Park Conservancy. I will sell furniture, framed art, etc. I just hope we really have it in June because by then I will know exactly what I need to get rid of from my city house.

lmerullo
12-28-21, 8:40pm
Old or expired spice jars.

Hubby saves empty prescription bottles. (Why?) Tossed all but most recently emptied one.

Expired over the counter meds.

Put two old unused prescriptions in the car. They'll get turned in at the police station tomorrow after work for their drug collection disposal.

Multiple pens that don't write.

An old address book. Didn't need even one name/number/address. Unfortunately, many listed are now deceased.

Two bottles of dried up glue.

Yppej
12-29-21, 12:25am
Continuing with electronic decluttering. My mom wants to offer up some of her clutter to her kids this coming weekend. Already I turned down some things and will try to be judicious in what I take.

rosarugosa
12-29-21, 5:22am
Continuing with electronic decluttering. My mom wants to offer up some of her clutter to her kids this coming weekend. Already I turned down some things and will try to be judicious in what I take.

We have a rule that if Mom offers something, you have to take it, even if you are going to donate it. It is one way to get clutter out of her house! It does make me a little bit sad that much of her clutter comes here temporarily as a waystation before gifting or donating, but I am quite diligent about moving it along so I guess it's OK.

razz
12-29-21, 8:24am
Rosa, that is one clever way to declutter a house that needs it done.

Teacher Terry
12-29-21, 1:02pm
Rosa, I did that with my mil because she was a hoarder.

rosarugosa
12-29-21, 5:54pm
Sis and I spent a few hours at Mom's today, and we took away two bags of trash, 1 bag for recycling, and a large box and a couple of bags of stuff were dropped off at Saver's. It felt like a productive afternoon.