PDA

View Full Version : out of the blue

Tybee
12-24-21, 8:33am
Yesterday I got a letter in the mail, ostensibly a Christmas card, with 2 page letter, from an old boyfriend I dated 48 years ago. I have not spoken to him or seen him in 45 years.

I am having a hard time understanding this. This was not a pleasant break up and I do not look back with great fondness for this person. I was trying to pin down when we went out and I was having a hard time remembering when it was and for how long--it was intense for me, I was head over heels, and he broke it off.

Why would someone do this? At first, when I saw the envelope, I thought it was an amends letter, but I've spent my whole life with alcoholics, so would not trust my instincts about that, and it was not an amends letter.

Yppej
12-24-21, 8:58am
Did he lose whoever, if anyone, he was with recently and is lonely?

Rogar
12-24-21, 9:17am
Thinking back to one or two perhaps similar unpleasant breakups in my younger days, there are person(s) I have no desire to ever see or communicate with, mostly due to poor character at the time. I have worked on some version of forgiveness, but no desire to refresh bad thoughts. I suppose others could be different and people change of half a century or so.

I actually run into one every couple of years in stores or whatever and can be cordial, but never have much of a conversation. In a way it's a little good to know she has had a decent life over the years, but it's not the Dan Fogelberg song, Same Auld Lang Syne.

Tybee
12-24-21, 10:30am
Rogar, I never knew what that song was about so I looked up the lyrics. It's a better song when you actually know the words, thanks.

Yppej, I have no idea--as I said, I have heard nothing of this guy in 45 years.

iris lilies
12-24-21, 12:37pm
Weird! So, what did he say in the letter about your past?

A few years ago I received …was it a card? Or email? Can’t remember, from an old boyfriend-lite that pretty much said
“ hey I am glad to have found you! here’s what I am doing blah blah blah” which I found to typify our relationship, clueless. It was clueless of him because I had not moved from the address from which I last corresponded with him decades prior. Our relationship was pretty stupid although he is a perfectly fine person.

Tybee, with all of your moves it is amazing he found you. How?

ApatheticNoMore
12-24-21, 12:49pm
You never know, yes they could be widowed etc, or for all you know they are at the end of their life, have a disease that limits their days left or whatever, and still remember those days. Like I think I had a friend who I broke up with (really their doing not mine, significantly older than me) who tried to reach me several years ago. And I still wonder, are they still alive, dead, I don't know, probably dead ...

iris lilies
12-24-21, 12:56pm
You never know, yes they could be widowed etc, or for all you know they are at the end of their life, have a disease that limits their days left or whatever, and still remember those days. Like I think I had a friend who I broke up with (really their doing not mine, significantly older than me) who tried to reach me several years ago. And I still wonder, are they still alive, dead, I don't know, probably dead ...

I always know where my ex’s are. I am nosey, snd stalky.

pinkytoe
12-24-21, 1:08pm
It seems like a desperate act to me or wishful thinking at best. I looked up two old boyfriends a few years back out of curiosity. One died of alcoholism a decade ago and the other is a very wealthy corporate lawyer. Their eventual trajectories in life were evident in their behaviors as young men. That's all I needed to know.

razz
12-24-21, 1:31pm
Mentally wish him well and toss the letter - simply let go. You are living a full life now, count your many blessings, making a list if necessary, with no need to start dragging an old tire from the past and long past any use.

In fact, I think, taking the time to note one's blessings today is a healthy activity for each of us.

Rogar
12-24-21, 1:46pm
The threat sort of got me to reminiscing. I looked up an old romance from my 20's in another city and had the occasion to travel there on business and some 20 years later arranged to meet. We parted on good terms and it was actually sort of weird that what ever chemistry that attracts people to each other was still there and renewed within just a minutes. It actually was a lot like Fogelberg's song, and the snow turned into rain. I can't say if it was a good or bad experience, just one of the life experiences. We never heard from each other again.

Tybee
12-24-21, 9:49pm
Weird! So, what did he say in the letter about your past?

A few years ago I received …was it a card? Or email? Can’t remember, from an old boyfriend-lite that pretty much said
“ hey I am glad to have found you! here’s what I am doing blah blah blah” which I found to typify our relationship, clueless. It was clueless of him because I had not moved from the address from which I last corresponded with him decades prior. Our relationship was pretty stupid although he is a perfectly fine person.

Tybee, with all of your moves it is amazing he found you. How?

Alumni office, I guess.
Pretty much nothing about the past, just kind of what the old boyfriend-lite did, told me about how his life had been, which seems to have been fantastic.

Tybee
12-24-21, 9:50pm
That's a nice story, Rogar, and it's nice you got to see each other one more time.

happystuff
12-25-21, 9:30am
Mentally wish him well and toss the letter - simply let go. You are living a full life now, count your many blessings, making a list if necessary, with no need to start dragging an old tire from the past and long past any use.

In fact, I think, taking the time to note one's blessings today is a healthy activity for each of us.

Agree with all of this!

happystuff
12-25-21, 9:31am
I always know where my ex’s are. I am nosey, snd stalky.

Why does this not surprise me? :~);)

Yppej
12-25-21, 9:36am
Every so often I check legacy.com to see if the exes kicked the bucket.

iris lilies
12-25-21, 10:14am
Why does this not surprise me? :~);)

But one has managed to frustrate me! Cannot locate. Very common name.

happystuff
12-25-21, 10:28am

I have no doubts that your persistence will prevail!

iris lilies
12-25-21, 5:02pm
I have no doubts that your persistence will prevail!

I guess I could hire a private detective, but I like the challenge of do-it-yourself work.:~)

Tybee
12-26-21, 4:55am
Iris, you should do that internet sleuthing where they work on crimes and solve cold cases!

rosarugosa
12-26-21, 6:42am
DH and I have been together for so long that I didn't have the chance to accumulate very many exes. I am still friends with most of them.

early morning
12-26-21, 9:47am
I have no idea where most of my old flames are, and that's ok with me, too much energy would be needed to track them down, and for what? But none of those relationships ended badly, we just mostly continued to grow in different directions. One who was a great friend but not so great a boyfriend I still see, as I managed to transfer them to one of my close cousins - now we're related and easily stay in touch. He's much better in the "cousin" role, lol.

catherine
12-26-21, 10:39am
Sounds like:

a) He's having a super bout of nostalgia and trying to connect with old feelings of days gone by or

b) He fell off the wagon and this is an uninhibited drunken letter that seemed a great idea at the time and now he's pulling his hair out wondering why he wrote it and praying it got lost in the mail.

pinkytoe
12-26-21, 11:28am
I learned that my niece recently connected with her boyfriend of ten years. He is bad news so I hope she doesn't pursue it further after moving far away, buying a house and creating a new life without him.

Tybee
12-26-21, 12:15pm
Sounds like:

a) He's having a super bout of nostalgia and trying to connect with old feelings of days gone by or

b) He fell off the wagon and this is an uninhibited drunken letter that seemed a great idea at the time and now he's pulling his hair out wondering why he wrote it and praying it got lost in the mail.

Hahaha:)

jp1
12-27-21, 3:57am

If we were exes I would probably frustrate you too. I share a name with a much more well known JP. I like that very much since it makes googling me impossible.