PDA

View Full Version : Bugs on Eggplant!

Jemima
6-19-11, 9:34pm
I thought my baby eggplants had a yellow form of powdery mildew, but I took a closer look today and there are tiny (about the size of a pinhead) black beetles on the leaves. Anyone know what these varmints are and/or a non-toxic way to get rid of them?

Birdie
6-19-11, 10:41pm
It sounds like flea beetles. We occasionally spray with Insecticidal soap to control them, but usually do not have enough damage to treat them. You can always try to wash them off with plain water and see if that helps. You can google Flea Beetles and see about other ways to treat them. Good luck.

Jemima
6-20-11, 6:50am
Thanks for the tip, Birdie. I was thinking of using plain soapsuds, which I dimly remember from gardening years ago.

puglogic
6-20-11, 10:40am
Definitely flea beetles (they love our eggplant). I wash them off with a strong stream of water, and in bad years with insecticidal soap. I also plant crops in blocks (eggplant -- beans -- potatoes -- eggplant -- beans.....) so that if there's an infestation, they'll generally stop at the borders of that "block" long enough for me to do something about them. If they are reproducing, I'd get on this right away, jemima. They've denuded whole patches of our garden in bad years.

Jemima
6-20-11, 12:48pm
I've also done block planting, which may explain why the flea beetles haven't yet leapt onto the peppers. Also planted oregano and purple basil among the nightshades, but the companion planting doesn't seem to be doing much good.

Internet research on flea beetles brought up several comments by gardeners who had used coffee grounds with success, so I sprinkled a hefty dose around the base of the plants this morning and wiped the beetles off while I was at it. There are only four eggplants, so if the coffee doesn't work I'm going to try frequent inspections and washing each leaf with soap and water. They're a little too small right now to withstand a hard spray with the hose.

daisy
6-21-11, 8:47am
Once my eggplants are established, they can withstand the flea beetle attacks, but the young transplants can get wiped out by them. I've started covering the young plants with floating row cover for the first few weeks and it seems to really help.

jania
6-22-11, 11:14am
Just wanted to say thanks for the idea of planting in "blocks", not planting all of one plant together to help prevent total destruction in case of disease or bug problems. I will be keeping this in mind when I plant the fall garden.

Jemima
6-29-11, 11:20am
Follow-up note: The coffee grounds worked. Next year I'm going to put some around the base of the eggplants as soon as I get them into the ground. I'm astonished at what beautiful little lavender flowers they have.

Next year I think I'm going to experiment with inter-planting instead of blocks. I put the zucchini in front of the house this year because I think the blossoms are so pretty.