PDA

View Full Version : Deodorant

Yppej
1-28-22, 8:13pm
I was thinking do I even need deodorant in the winter? I never sweat.

jp1
1-28-22, 8:52pm
Perhaps do an experiment and go a few days without and then ask people who are around you regularly and who would answer honestly whether they noticed? I've never tried this but I assume that one would not be a very effective judge about themselves as to whether they smelled unpleasant to others. Personally I skip showering a couple of times during the week in the winter (and also only put on deodorant on the days I do shower) since I work from home and only SO is likely to be within odor range of me and he doesn't notice or at least doesn't care. (I've never asked one way or the other and he's never said "you stink, take a damn shower." I also tend to wear my clothes, except underwear, 2-3 days during winter for the same reason.)

Teacher Terry
1-28-22, 11:40pm
Some people don’t have much of a odor. Plus it can change over time. If you aren’t sweating you probably won’t smell stinky.

happystuff
1-29-22, 10:35am
Some people don’t have much of a odor. Plus it can change over time. If you aren’t sweating you probably won’t smell stinky.

Body odor can also be a result of the foods/spices one eats.

SiouzQ.
1-29-22, 2:47pm
This just made me realize I haven't used deodorant in about 20 years. Not a single person has ever told me I smell. And since water is such a precious commodity here in the high desert, in the winter I only bathe about 2x per week. However, I live in a hippy town where regular bathing is not too much of a concern amongst the residents, but if I have a doctor or dentist appointment I always make sure to bathe the night before, just in case!

Yppej
1-29-22, 3:18pm
Reassuring feedback from you all. Thanks.

Greg44
1-29-22, 10:43pm
I haven't used "commercial" deodorant for years. When I get out of the shower I use a bit of baby powder and then a very very light sprinkling of good ole baking soda. It worked so good I was beginning to think I might have become nose blind. So I went without...I wasn't! If I use just baking soda it irritates my pits. But a good dose of baby powder first seems to do the trick. Perhaps TMI :|(

Tradd
1-30-22, 8:42am
Your body chemistry can change with menopause. I noticed my sweat smells much different now. I have to use deodorant. Hot flashes make me sweat.

Teacher Terry
1-30-22, 11:55am
I was really stinky during menopause so deodorant was a must but now I only wear it in summer.

nswef
2-1-22, 12:54pm
I use baking powder over an alcohol scented with lavender oil spray in the morning, and after I wash at night I use a white vinegar and lavender oil splash. Seems to work pretty well. I've gone 2 summers working in the hot yard with only a time or two of having to re wash it.

pony mom
2-7-22, 8:54pm
Your body chemistry can change with menopause. I noticed my sweat smells much different now. I have to use deodorant. Hot flashes make me sweat.

Me too:( After years of trying natural deodorant, homemade and alternatives, it's Secret antiperspirant for me now. Nothing else works for me, although I really tried to manage with the other stuff; it made me paranoid that I stunk.

KayLR
2-7-22, 10:31pm
I don't sweat in winter either---during the day---but I can at night in bed, boy howdy. I apply deodorant a few times a week. One thing I've done is changed brands to one which does not use plastic packaging. Cardboard tube.

rosarugosa
2-8-22, 5:46am
I don't sweat much unless it's really very hot out, and even then, it isn't particularly my underarms that get sweaty. I used Dry Idea antiperspirant for decades, as a victim of successful marketing I suppose. Having become more concerned about the chemicals in antiperspirants in recent years, I now use EO Organic spray deodorant, which is basically essential oils and alcohol. I find that to be completely satisfactory. DH likes pricey deodorant from L'Occitane. He tends to be a pretty sweaty, fragrant guy, so if that is what he wants, that is what we buy for him.

happystuff
2-8-22, 9:43am
I usually go with the .99 Speed stick deodorant. I only tend to use it when I go to work. But, now that I think about it, there's no one there to smell me even if I did start to stink! ROFLOL

herbgeek
2-8-22, 1:19pm
I stink, unlike most of you posting. Anti perspirant is insufficient. I need to use a deodorant for smell and antiperspirant for wetness. Currently using crystal deodorant but before that i made my own with anti microbial essential oils in a coconut oil base. I would notice that my towel would smell and i only use that after I've showered and so theoretically clean.

razz
2-8-22, 2:30pm
Years ago a friend advised that, to reduce chemicals on her body, she used baby rash preventive, zinc oxide, on her underarms to control the bacteria leading to odour. Since then I buy a no name jar of diaper rash cream about every 10 years. i sweat easily throughout my whole body so gave up trying to control the actual flow of moisture.

rosarugosa
2-8-22, 2:35pm
Happystuff: So this conversation potentially saved you $.99!

Herbgeek: Don't worry, we love you anyway! :)

rosarugosa
2-8-22, 2:59pm
Years ago a friend advised that, to reduce chemicals on her body, she used baby rash preventive, zinc oxide, on her underarms to control the bacteria leading to odour. Since then I buy a no name jar of diaper rash cream about every 10 years. i sweat easily throughout my whole body so gave up trying to control the actual flow of moisture.

That's interesting, Razz, and might be worth a try with DH.

Teacher Terry
2-8-22, 5:59pm
I went through about 5 years in my 30’s when I produced so nasty of a smell that I went to the doctor. They never figured out why and I was happy when it went away.

happystuff
2-8-22, 10:26pm
Happystuff: So this conversation potentially saved you $.99!

Herbgeek: Don't worry, we love you anyway! :)

Lol. Maybe!