PDA

View Full Version : Unexpected benefits of living through the pandemic era?

Ultralight
2-19-22, 9:08am
Hi All, I was thinking this morning as I bake my Irish soda bread that there have been some unexpected benefits to living through the pandemic. So I thought I'd list off a handful of mine, and maybe you'd like to share some of yours too. In no particular order:

- Masking prevented me from catching many colds and flus that I likely otherwise would have gotten.
-I have eaten healthier over all because I am not going to restaurants and eating their enormous portion sizes.
-I have learned to cook a few simple but infinitely useful things from pantry staples (like Irish soda bread)
-I have become a more efficient grocery shopper
-I've been able to spend so much more time with Harlan during his golden years.
-I can work from home almost every day!
-I started playing music again, picked up guitar after 15 years of not playing, then learned the bass guitar, which I really, really like
-I watched all of Star Trek OS and TNG
-I took roadtrips for my vacations instead of going to other countries; this helped me to appreciate the American landscape and experience more!

That is a pretty good list.

Your turn!

catherine
2-19-22, 10:09am
From NASA:

The COVID-19 pandemic and resulting limitations on travel and other economic sectors by countries around the globe drastically decreased air pollution and greenhouse gas emissions within just a few weeks. That sudden change gave scientists an unprecedented view of results that would take regulations years to achieve.

However, the study conclusions state:

Notably, emissions returned to near-pre-pandemic levels by the latter part of 2020, despite reduced activity in many sectors of the economy. The authors reason that this rebound in emissions was probably necessary for businesses and individuals to maintain even limited economic productivity, using the worldwide energy infrastructure that exists today. 'This suggests that reducing activity in these industrial and residential sectors is not practical in the short term' as a means of cutting emissions, the study noted. 'Reducing these sectors’ emissions permanently will require their transition to low-carbon-emitting technology.'”

Kind of like we're back where we started.

Personally:
I didn't have to travel for business, something I thought I would miss but don't.
I got to meet clients with my pajama bottoms on.
I learned my relationship with DH can sustain itself in constant close quarters for two years.

rosarugosa
2-19-22, 10:23am
That's a good point about the lack of colds/flus.
My list:
Haven't had a cold or a bug for at least a couple of years now
Have adopted practices that increase or sustain happiness from the Coursera class The Science of Well-being
Avoided many social obligations, lol

happystuff
2-19-22, 10:26am
Although it is a job I dislike intensely, I now have only a 10 minute commute.

I have grown to appreciate phone calls, skyping, etc. as contact methods for family and tend to reach out more often through these channels than I did pre-pandemic. I think I have learned to value my family and friends more.

I've lost close to 35-40 pounds and, so far, have been able to keep it off. (one of the few positives to the last two jobs since losing the 16-year position due to covid.)

Simplemind
2-19-22, 11:31am
Saved a lot of money by not traveling, not going out for entertainment/restaurants, having groceries delivered.
Initially gained weight in the "Lets hunker down and make bread" phase but through concentrating on eating cleaner have lost 30lbs.
Put in double the veggie garden and preserved a lot of it. We are just getting to the end of it now.
Stopped going to the gym (miss the pool) but have a stationary bike, treadmill and weights which I have used religiously.
Worked on reconnecting and staying connected to extended friends and family through calls and sending fun and lighthearted snail mail.
Expanded our TV viewing into foreign series that we have really enjoyed. We refer to them as our soaps.
Continued to camp since we weren't flying anywhere. Joined with other family members after being vaxed and had great moments of closeness and appreciation.
Lost a dog that we grieve deeply and gained a dog with personality plus that keeps us highly entertained.

Ultralight
2-19-22, 11:40am
Saved a lot of money by not traveling, not going out for entertainment/restaurants, having groceries delivered.
Initially gained weight in the "Lets hunker down and make bread" phase but through concentrating on eating cleaner have lost 30lbs.
Put in double the veggie garden and preserved a lot of it. We are just getting to the end of it now.
Stopped going to the gym (miss the pool) but have a stationary bike, treadmill and weights which I have used religiously.
Worked on reconnecting and staying connected to extended friends and family through calls and sending fun and lighthearted snail mail.
Expanded our TV viewing into foreign series that we have really enjoyed. We refer to them as our soaps.
Continued to camp since we weren't flying anywhere. Joined with other family members after being vaxed and had great moments of closeness and appreciation.
Lost a dog that we grieve deeply and gained a dog with personality plus that keeps us highly entertained.

You went through it and made the best of it!

iris lilies
2-19-22, 11:44am
The pandemic killed major programs of two organizations I work in. These programs were bloated, resource sucking events that were difficult to pull off. But they WERE the major funding sources for these organizations.

My neighborhood association held two house tours a year and it had been said for a decade that “this is not sustainable. “. And yet the things kept going on (because where was funding coming from if not this?) and getting more bloated and more complex. Because the humans involved can never scale back they always have to add on add on. I see this in many other aspects of life.

my neighborhood association pivoted in the pandemic and did a few things to raise funds in smaller events, had a big fundraising campaign, and had an online tour that didn’t really raise much money. But the association is still chugging along.

We are talking about $100,000 annually in lost revenue.

My iris society ground to a halt during the pandemic and since we are tied to Missouri botanical gardens which essentially closed its buildings, we couldn’t have meetings anyway even if we wanted to. All of our events take place at MO BOT. We did have a good time meeting up in other people’s gardens outside. But the iris Society manages a huge dig and sale from Missouri Botanical Garden‘s‘ iris garden. It generates $12,000 a year. That takes more than 1000 man hours.

Well the pandemic killed that iris dig/sale. And here we are two years later with some of the elderly members now incapacitated or literally dead. I can’t see that event being resurrected and I’m certainly not gonna load it on my back to make it happen.

Teacher Terry
2-19-22, 11:46am
I lost 50lbs and quit drinking because I was afraid of getting Covid and dying because of being fat. I have managed to maintain both new habits.

iris lilies
2-19-22, 12:00pm
I lost 50lbs and quit drinking because I was afraid of getting Covid and dying because of being fat. I have managed to maintain both new habits.

i lost 25 lbs, gained it back, just lost 10 and am unhappily not drinking much wine at all these days. With ongoing sinus problems, wine usually does not taste good and I dont want to waste $$ on good bottles of wine if it will just go bad after opening. Also, the calories.

Once the weather turns warmer I plan to go to a nice wine bar and have an expensive glass of wine, testing the waters for taste.

Some years ago I developed a bit of a taste for Scotch, but that didnt “take.”

Teacher Terry
2-19-22, 12:14pm
What I have found is that when you don’t drink wine regularly you lose your taste for it. I have not lost my taste for beer but Athletic Brewing company makes great non alcoholic ones that are only 70 calories.

pinkytoe
2-19-22, 12:25pm
Saving money and cooking at home have been the most positive changes. Not sure why but I am also losing my interest in alcohol of any kind and that will definitely save $$.

iris lilies
2-19-22, 12:49pm
What I have found is that when you don’t drink wine regularly you lose your taste for it. I have not lost my taste for beer but Athletic Brewing company makes great non alcoholic ones that are only 70 calories.
Not a fan of beer.

iris lilies
2-19-22, 1:10pm
Being, old, fat, and having lung involvement makes me very leery of Covid.

But it is such a strange virus. You know who survived Covid after being hospitalized for it? One of the people on this season’s tv show “My 600 lb life.” How in the hell did THAT happen? She is 600 lbs, 51 years old, on oxygen daily, has heart problems, very poor circulation, high blood pressure and ? Diabetes? Among other things.

Tell me how this happens? There is no logic.

Her husband did not survive. He was old, chubby, and had advanced heart disease.

Teacher Terry
2-19-22, 1:25pm
I am now in the normal weight range but I do have moderate asthma. I am not going to hide out for the remainder of my life as this virus is here to stay unfortunately. Also it appears that eventually everyone will get it. It’s like trying to avoid the common cold. I also exercise daily. I will continue to take booster shots.

happystuff
2-19-22, 1:26pm
The fact that it IS such a strange virus is what makes it so scary - in my opinion.

Edited to add: tt, there is a big difference between "hiding out" and taking common sense, easy precautions - again, for oneself and others. Again, in my opinion.

Ultralight
2-19-22, 1:38pm
I am now in the normal weight range but I do have moderate asthma. I am not going to hide out for the remainder of my life as this virus is here to stay unfortunately. Also it appears that eventually everyone will get it. It’s like trying to avoid the common cold. I also exercise daily. I will continue to take booster shots.

I think the duration of time one is willing to "hide out" has a lot to do with how many years are likely in their remainder of life. For instance, a friend of mine is 70. Today she left her self-imposed lockdown and went to interact with the infecteds. Why? She said she "wanted her life back." But for her, she has had 70 good years of life. She knows she probably only has 5-10 more years. So if covid takes her, it is less of a loss than a person in their 40s.

For her to lock down another year could could mean she dies in lockdown...or at least 10-20 percent of her remaining years were in lockdown.

For someone who is 40 now, another year of lockdown is a much smaller percentage of his likely remaining years. But if he goes out amongst the infecteds and turns... and gets long covid. That could be decades of torture.

This is why I continue to lockdown.

happystuff
2-19-22, 1:42pm
Not a fan of beer.

IL, we DO have something in common! I'm not a fan of beer and definitely prefer wine. :)

frugal-one
2-19-22, 2:45pm
I truly cannot think of one good thing I have benefited from during this pandemic. It has been life sucking.

iris lilies
2-19-22, 3:33pm
I think, in summary, I could say about the two organizations i mentioned below: the pandemic broke things FOR GOOD that were already decrepit and limping along.

There were many positive things about it and it’s not over yet.

I enjoyed less frenzied months of May without iris Society organized activities. I just visited several iris gardens twice. Normally I can only get to them one time.

I found Zoom meetings in other organizations to be more productive because people don’t quack on about social stuff so much, We got the business done and got off the computer.

The pandemic forced alternate ways of having a Flower Shows. I participated in three virtual Flower shows, one of them even “official.” We are continuing one of those this year because once they get the technology set up, it’s good to keep it going. What is cool is that we can have our fellow lily growers from the other hemisphere sending photos of their lilies to participate.

just overall for us, a slower pace of life with fewer obligations. I like that.

Chicken lady
2-19-22, 4:04pm
My extroverted friends and relatives got to experience what it is like when your natural lifestyle is considered anti-social and you are constantly pressured or forced to behave in ways that are unnatural, stressful, and socially awkward.

razz
2-19-22, 5:04pm
I have loved the change of pace as others have mentioned and will continue this peaceful way of life. I have loved the zoom options for meetings and the new situations that have been made possible because of zoom. Walking the dog daily has kept up my social interaction with friends and neighbours. We had an extended period where restrictions were reduced and visited freely wearing a mask or being spaced 6 feet apart.

JaneV2.0
2-19-22, 6:29pm
My extroverted friends and relatives got to experience what it is like when your natural lifestyle is considered anti-social and you are constantly pressured or forced to behave in ways that are unnatural, stressful, and socially awkward.

Good point. Although I'm nearly feral at this point. :~)
I like that there are many more choices for contact-free commerce these days.
And remote work opportunities! And, it seems to me, fewer solicitors!

rosarugosa
2-20-22, 6:58am
I have enjoyed doing yoga via Zoom more than in-person.
I was pleased that DH and I discovered some great local destinations when we were unable to travel.

Chicken lady
2-20-22, 8:14am
I’ve been thinking more about the covid trade offs

dh and I are also doing yoga at home. I like it. The thing I never liked about yoga was all the people. Also, now we are not driving and can fit it into our own daily rhythm.

curbside pick up. I love curbside pick up. My Dd has her first child and she has no idea how blessed she is to have curbside pick up.

fewer social events and a good reason not to go.

my inlaws visit less.

more time with my grown kids because they are less busy.

Dh works from home now and took over the cooking!

for a while my county extension office offered really good programs that would normally have been in a time that I could not attend at a place that was too far - sadly, that stopped.

less restaurant food, all eaten in the comfort of my own home (Dh likes to eat out. I don’t really like restaurants - they are full of strangers. Also, the food is less healthy and I tend to overeat.)

less money spent on gas (Dh commute)

no meetings with parents. (Yes, this conference could have been a short series of carefully thought out emails!) cutting the face to face is an advantage for me because I often don’t pick up on nonverbal cues and tone, and my own tone and facial expressions tend to be inaccurate if I don’t consciously moderate them. - because: I feel threatened by the fact that there is a person I don’t know well within four feet if me and I have to interact with that person - whose child is doing great! But my face and tone say “there is a big problem here” (it’s you) and not “ your kid is amazing and makes me happy.” (What my words are trying to say) also, think about the word “ok.” Literally it means something is fine. Now imagine all the different tones you can say it in - now it means many other things “stop right there, I’m angry” “hold on, I don’t understand” “what you just said is nuts”… I usually hear “that is fine.” Then the next words arrive and I become confused because you just said things were fine.

Teacher Terry
2-20-22, 11:34am
As a extrovert I missed all the in person events. So happy to have that back. Carry out food is cold by the time you get home. I prefer yoga in person.

JaneV2.0
2-20-22, 12:06pm
Introverts and extroverts are different. Diversity is usually a good thing.

jp1
2-20-22, 6:31pm
The whales that summer in Alaska were happier.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-58032702

iris lilies
2-20-22, 6:56pm
Introverts and extroverts are different. Diversity is usually a good thing.
But we are better. :)

JaneV2.0
2-20-22, 7:01pm
But we are better. :)

:devil:

pony mom
2-24-22, 8:04pm
Since I work in a healthcare related field, my job didn't change much and I spent no time in lockdown at home. It's something I probably would have enjoyed, as I seem to not have time for relaxing at home.

A few benefits:

Sadly my cousin passed away from Covid in April 2020 and I was his executor. This was a huge undertaking for me and taught me that I'm capable of managing loads of paperwork, forms, legal issues, making phone calls, clearing out a cluttered house, and being in charge of my own inherited financial portfolio AND managing my sister's inherited trust.

Avoiding people I don't want to interact with due to social distancing. Sometimes I'm just not in the mood for chit chatting.

Appreciating being alive and healthy. I had a very mild case of Covid early in 2020; we lost about twenty residents at work and many others due to their health declining (from Covid and isolation). It was heartbreaking going to work each morning and hearing that two or three had died during the night.

I've become more grateful for my job. It's frustrating and stressful and trying at times, but I had a regular paycheck when many others did not. And so many people appreciated our hard work and showed us by donating food, food and more food! Gosh, it's a miracle I stayed strong and avoided all the bagels and donuts and enjoyed the food I like.

I'm a huge baby about getting shots. My Covid vaccines were nothing at all. I may even consider getting a shingles vaccine in the near future.

Since it took me four months to get a hair appointment, I now give myself a buzzcut every 3-4 weeks. Wish I did this years and years ago. It's saving me money and keeps my hair perfect all the time.

Chicken lady
2-24-22, 9:14pm
Extrovert “we are better!”
introvert “why are you still here?”

razz
2-25-22, 7:41am
Extrovert “we are better!”
introvert “why are you still here?”

My chuckle for the day.

jp1
2-25-22, 10:11pm
This pandemic has been great for introverts like me.

An hour ago I finished a work related zoom wine tasting that was set up by an insurance broker for one of my insureds. They had had the winery send two bottles of wine (one white and one red) to each of the six underwriters for the various insurance companies for the insured. I didn't know any of the people on the call except the broker who I don't know well. It ended up being a lot of fun because the insured, the broker, me and 3 of the other 5 underwriters are all into wine (and obviously the winery's tasting room guy is into wine too) so we had an interesting and educational conversation about wine and I got to hear one of my insureds talk about something other than their computer network security for a change. It was the perfect event for a moderately introverted person such as myself. It took exactly an hour before the broker wrapped it up, the conversation was entirely group focused because it was zoom so I didn't have to make pointless small talk with any individual, and I didn't have to work up the energy to get dressed up, get an uber to the event, etc. I just brought the wine and wine glasses up to my office at the appointed time and clicked the zoom link while sitting there in shorts/slippers/t-shirt with sweater on top and when it was over I closed zoom, put the glasses in the dishwasher and went back to finish up my work email for the week.

And best of all I have the better part of two really nice bottles of wine left over!

rosarugosa
2-26-22, 5:51am
That sounds like a perfect get-together, JP!

razz
2-26-22, 7:05am
That sounds like a perfect get-together, JP!

Love the logo and joint get-togther via zoom idea. I now recognize that is why I have enjoyed some reduced contact with a very few close friends and superficially with other dog walkers

iris lilies
2-26-22, 7:30am
Jp, what a fun work event!

JaneV2.0
2-26-22, 12:47pm
And should you imbibe a bit too much, you are already safe at home.

Love the trend, and also the "Unite!" poster.

nswef
2-26-22, 2:24pm
Perfect! I love this zoom communication. I've been doing a drawing class and some Senior Center exercise classes. It's great, no driving, parking, bra, chit chat...

JaneV2.0
2-26-22, 2:47pm
"...so I didn't have to make pointless small talk."

That in itself is golden--chit-chat is the human equivalent of monkey grooming, IMO.