PDA

View Full Version : Spring!

Yppej
3-12-22, 10:42am
I count spring as a success story. Although more snow is coming today the birds that nest in the vent from an old supplemental gas heater (disconnected from gas) are back chirping away cheerily.

Tybee
3-12-22, 1:24pm
It did not take here. I'm looking at falling snow everywhere.

catherine
3-12-22, 2:01pm
It did not take here. I'm looking at falling snow everywhere.

Same here--freezing up the signs of mud season we had earlier in the week.

Teacher Terry
3-12-22, 5:46pm
We are in the 60’s. Beautiful weather to walk the dogs.

Alan
3-12-22, 7:21pm
We are in the 60’s. Beautiful weather to walk the dogs.
We were in the 60's two days ago, got 3 inches of snow last night and a high of 24 today. Expecting 60's again on Monday, Spring is a fickle season.

hana
3-13-22, 1:59am
Few days ago it was in the 80s, now there's snow on the grass. At least the roads and sidewalks are clear.

Spring in the Mid Atlantic is more of a guideline than an actual thing. March is just a warm up act for April where you go through all four seasons in a day and everything outside turns yellow thanks to the pollen.

ToomuchStuff
3-13-22, 10:24am
Spring isn't here yet, although one week it is in the 60's and the next week, the highs might be 30's. It has been that for a while and I am hoping we get a spring and don't go straight to summer.

happystuff
3-13-22, 11:06am
Rain to sleet to snow storm most of yesterday. Things are pretty much cleared but at freezing (or below) for the next couple days. Definitely not spring around here yet.

rosarugosa
3-13-22, 11:12am
WE got a dusting of snow last night and it's bitterly cold and windy today, but then it looks like spring temps for the rest of the week.

happystuff
3-13-22, 3:43pm
Spring... coming, but not quite yet.

Yppej
3-15-22, 8:29am
Saw a bunch of Canada geese flying north.

nswef
3-15-22, 11:16am
Daffodils in bloom!!!!

dado potato
3-16-22, 12:38am
Here in the Northern Highland of Wisconsin, flocks of redpolls are migrating to more northern latitudes. The dark red on the male redpolls is fabulous next to the deep green of spruce boughs. Those guys are welcome to have their fill of sunflower seeds in my feeder. And so are the less showy females!

For me the climax of spring is still in the future: going to bed with the windows open and listening to the spring peepers. All winter they have been frozen solid under fallen leaves and 2 feet of snow. I can imagine how good it must feel to be able to first move their toes and open their eyes during the lengthening days of spring. Oh yeah, when their bodies finally thaw out, they have something to sing about... finding a mate!

mschrisgo2
3-16-22, 1:51am
We got our first measurable rain in 86 days overnight.

rosarugosa
3-16-22, 5:28am
Here in the Northern Highland of Wisconsin, flocks of redpolls are migrating to more northern latitudes. The dark red on the male redpolls is fabulous next to the deep green of spruce boughs. Those guys are welcome to have their fill of sunflower seeds in my feeder. And so are the less showy females!

For me the climax of spring is still in the future: going to bed with the windows open and listening to the spring peepers. All winter they have been frozen solid under fallen leaves and 2 feet of snow. I can imagine how good it must feel to be able to first move their toes and open their eyes during the lengthening days of spring. Oh yeah, when their bodies finally thaw out, they have something to sing about... finding a mate!

That sounds wonderful, Dado! We have to go visit the woods to hear them.

Yppej
3-19-22, 7:46am
The crocuses are up.

catherine
3-19-22, 9:19am
Mud season in full swing. water creeping up the common land as the ice thaws on the lake--geese are swimming in the large puddles, much to the chagrin of my goose-hating neighbor. No buds yet.

nswef
3-19-22, 11:42am
We've had peeper frog music for 2 weeks! I love it!

Yppej
4-23-22, 10:28am
The last of the snow has melted. I see forsythia, daffodils, azalea, tulips, dandelions, trees in bud. Life is good!

iris lilies
4-24-22, 10:05am
Iris reports here are:

1 iris friend is 17 days behind normal bloom

1 iris friend is 12 days behind last year

My April 24th Tall Bearded iris, one I love that is the harbinger of TB season, one that always blooms by April 24th, doesn't even have stalks yet.

i dont mind a late season other than it throws a wrench in any Iris Society plans for conferences and shows.

Yppej
4-24-22, 10:12am
Phlox!

happystuff
4-24-22, 10:22am
Finally have bright sun shining and clothes out on the line.

jp1
5-13-22, 8:59pm
We had gradually been getting warmer until sunday when a cold snap moved through for a few days and we were having dead of winter temperatures (mid 50's for a high, lows in the low 40's) but with the luxury of longer days. Miraculously SO put up with it being cold (63/64ish) in the house in the morning rather than turning on the furnace. Today was the first day to break that trend, getting up to 76. Tomorrow is supposed to be the warmest day of the year so far, with a predicted high of 83 followed by highs in the 70s for the forseeable future. I even got out our backyard umbrella in the expectation of needing it to sit outside tomorrow afternoon.

And, as if to confirm that spring really has sprung here, the ultimate spring-like thing happened this afternoon. A mama turkey went walking past the back of our house this afternoon with a brood of maybe 10 little tiny baby turkeys. I assume they weren't all hers since the turkeys really do seem to live by the ethos of "it takes a village". They were all munching on the bugs that hang out in the deer's salad bar that runs up the hill behind us. Such an awesome end to a tiring work week.

Yppej
5-14-22, 6:07am
Lilacs.

frugal-one
5-14-22, 3:49pm
Villagewide garage sales in full force here. Went yesterday and thought of IL... met a wonderful English Bulldog named Louie and another pup named Etta (French Bulldog). They both were so loving and exuberant!

rosarugosa
5-15-22, 6:12am
I believe we've only had a handful of days where the temps went over 70, and then yesterday it was 86! So we were running our heat earlier in the week and then running all our fans yesterday. I was wearing my winter coat for early morning walks at the beginning of the week, and yesterday I was just in a t-shirt.

Yppej
5-20-22, 12:04pm
Azaleas. Love this time of year!

pinkytoe
5-20-22, 1:48pm
Not really ever a true spring here. High 80s yesterday and snow tonight. I just went out and dug up newly planted peppers to bring inside as it will be near or below freezing. Covered the tomatoes and other plants with buckets and boxes.

Yppej
5-24-22, 5:54am
Rhododendrons, chives in bloom.

Rogar
5-24-22, 12:23pm
I just got back from my community branch drop off with the second pickup load after all the damage from the recent weekend snow breakage. They only allow residential drop offs and branches were piled about 20 feet high and in a row as long as a couple of football fields. Several other front range towns also had treemagedon. After the driest April on record. Spring is still nice regardless.

dado potato
5-24-22, 6:32pm
Trillium opening great white blossoms.

Bumblebees coming to the little blossoms on the Barberry shrubs.

And the Bleeding Hearts! As red as life.

Yppej
5-24-22, 7:26pm
Daisies, clover.

Rogar
5-24-22, 7:57pm
Black-headed Grossbeaks, Lazuli Bunting, Yellow-breasted Chat, Bullocks Oriole, and Blue-grey Gnatcatchers, Yellow Warblers, and Spotted Towhees heard singing at the generally same location a couple of days ago.

Yppej
5-26-22, 5:54am
Irises.

Yppej
6-12-22, 8:58am
Peonies, roses, wisteria.

iris lilies
6-12-22, 9:29am
Peonies, roses, wisteria.
Ahhh, ours are gone. We are into summer flowers now.

catherine
6-12-22, 12:35pm
My peonies in my own yard haven't bloomed yet, but the peonies in the town Community Hall garden that I manage are magnificent! They probably have a week left.

In my gardens, everything is leafing but not yet blooming.