PDA

View Full Version : That Didn't Last Long.....

gimmethesimplelife
3-17-22, 7:57pm
Remember how I recently posted regarding my signing up for a checking account at a for profit bank? Today after several phone calls and some unpleasantness I closed out the account.

I never received a debit card. I called more than once and was told it was sent on March 4th but it to this day has not arrived. I was told today that a branch in the burbs would make a debit card immediately available to me. So I call this branch to verify and they tell me that no, they won't do this. After several calls back and forth that escalated on both sides they finally claim they closed out my account and will send a cashier's check for the amount with no fees period.

I'm hoping they follow through but I have no faith. That's it - I'm done with for profit banks. I did have an open mind only to find words and actions not matching and hostility about fee reversals - not cool as I don't believe it's high maintenance to expect a debit card by today given that I opened the account February 23rd.

I am however grateful - and SO and family agree - that this bank showed their true colors BEFORE I EVER EVEN USED THE ACCOUNT. I don't even have faith that any of the perks they pitch as being part of the account are actually even there.

Whatever. Live and learn. I really should have known better at the age of 55 though - it's hard not to get down on myself for even opening the account in the first place. Rob

happystuff
3-17-22, 7:59pm
Like you say, live and learn. It was worth the try simply because it could have gone either way, so there's definitely no reason to get down on yourself!

Yppej
3-17-22, 8:54pm
I have thought of changing banks because I don't like that mine forces unvaccinated employees to wear masks, but it seems like a big hassle.

Alan
3-17-22, 9:26pm
What are you going to do if you get a debit card in the mail tomorrow with a postmark from March 4th?

gimmethesimplelife
3-17-22, 9:35pm
What are you going to do if you get a debit card in the mail tomorrow with a postmark from March 4th?Keep things as they are. This is too long to wait for a debit card - especially when so many competitors issue one immediately. I could have worked with that but being lied to by this bank today burned the bridge. Rob

bae
3-17-22, 9:36pm
When my Dad moved here to the island, he marched into the local-based bank, opened an account, and walked out with his card ready-to-go. Took just a couple minutes.

gimmethesimplelife
3-17-22, 9:59pm
When my Dad moved here to the island, he marched into the local-based bank, opened an account, and walked out with his card ready-to-go. Took just a couple minutes.With tech being what it is today, I'm thinking this is becoming the norm? All financial institutions other than this that I have held accounts with now offer immediate debit cards. Rob

iris lilies
3-17-22, 10:11pm
It is very annoying and I would certainly be steamed by it. But I wouldn’t consider it an indictment of the evil capitalist world of for-profit banks. But whatever Rob, you do you.

ToomuchStuff
3-18-22, 1:02am
What are you going to do if you get a debit card in the mail tomorrow with a postmark from March 4th?

With the mail system now, that is very possible.

We deal with enough people, we get calls when others don't. Our electric company called us because of a late bill and today was listed as the shut off day.
They changed billing companies last month and about half the city didn't get their bills, or received them on or past the due date. (cluster) Ours was a missed one so we received the "late" thing, which was mailed out the same day. Someone we know called and we told them the mail date, the check number, etc. and as they are only a couple miles away, offered to bring another check down. They said they would put off our "date" until the 24th.

20 minute later we receive a call back from them, the mail with our check just came in the door. Intra city mail that used to take 2 days, is now averaging something like a week.

Tradd
3-18-22, 7:20am
Stuff like this is why people should be paying online, as well as getting electronic statements if available.

KayLR
3-18-22, 9:18am
Rob, don't feel too badly. If nothing else, 1- you learned something; 2- no loss; 3-you gave all of us a warning to heed.

catherine
3-18-22, 11:05am
Keep things as they are. This is too long to wait for a debit card - especially when so many competitors issue one immediately. I could have worked with that but being lied to by this bank today burned the bridge. Rob

I agree. Some banks give you a debit card on the spot when you open the account. I don't really think being inefficient has a place in today's marketplace. Too many companies really have it buttoned down.

LDAHL
3-18-22, 11:20am
I don’t think having to switch banks for poor service is an indictment of capitalism. I think it shows the strength of a system that punishes incompetence. You were able to send a market signal. I think your situation also shows the need to consider tradeoffs. Perhaps the institution that offers superior interest rates and low costs does so at the expense of prompt service.

iris lilies
3-18-22, 11:32am
Rob, don't feel too badly. If nothing else, 1- you learned something; 2- no loss; 3-you gave all of us a warning to heed.
Curious, what exactly is the warning here?

iris lilies
3-18-22, 12:38pm
Yesterday we got an invoice for marble countertop, an invoice I had paid by check and mailed more than a month ago. We looked at our account to see this check was cashed 2/18/2022.

I guess I should storm in to Graniterra and make a Big Hairy Deal about their capitalist greed in trying to collect double payment, rip the marble off the counter, and throw it in their face! And have DH drive out to the country to cut down trees to plane planks for a wood counter top.

yeah, I think I will do that. Not.

all of this said, it is bad service of that bank to not immediately issue a debit card to Rob, assuming all of the security issues are resolved, because that enables Rob to spend more money and utilize bank services more widely. Ca ching ca ching dor them.

KayLR
3-18-22, 6:57pm
Well I feel warned about getting involved with one of those types of banks. No thanks.

gimmethesimplelife
3-18-22, 9:34pm
It is very annoying and I would certainly be steamed by it. But I wouldn’t consider it an indictment of the evil capitalist world of for-profit banks. But whatever Rob, you do you.LOL As I always do. Thank You, IL. Rob

gimmethesimplelife
3-18-22, 9:39pm
Well I feel warned about getting involved with one of those types of banks. No thanks.Thank You, KayLR. Yep. However long I'm around going forward I personally will be banking with non-profit credit unions. This experience for me sealed that deal. I'm grateful anyone learns anything from my middle aged drivel lol. Rob

gimmethesimplelife
3-21-22, 8:12pm
Update: Came home today to find a cashier's check in the full amount that I opened the account with in my mail. So - nothing was lost other than any hope of faith in for profit banks.

And in the interim several days no debit card arrived from this bank. I don't get it but at least this is over. Rob