PDA

View Full Version : First Day of Summer!

treehugger
6-21-11, 12:41pm
The first day of summer has always been special in my family. My mother's mother, Elizabeth (which is my middle name), Omi to all her grandchildren, was born on June 21st, 1904. She lived until age 96, and then died peacefully, happy to have lived so long, but missing her dear husband, Kurt, my Opa, who had died the year before.

As long as I knew my grandparents, they lived in Santa Barbara, CA, where they moved shortly before I was born. That was a magical place to visit, a place of endless summer, mild enough to enjoy the outdoors all year-round. For 27 years they ate every single meal outside, on the covered patio, and food always tasted better there. I have their patio table in my backyard now (and I don't eat outside nearly so often...need to work on that).

The Summer Solstice was (still is probably) a huge party in Santa Barbara, with a parade and festival, and my grandmother chose to enjoy it as if it was thrown in her honor. Birthdays were always a big deal in my family anyway, but Omi's birthday was extra special because of the perfect weather, the parade, the food, the lemonade, the cake, and Omi herself, a generous, warm, sunny person. Opa treated Omi like a queen every single day of their 70+ years together, and he doubled that treatment on her birthday.

So, even though Omi died 11 years ago, and I still miss her, today, June 21st is a day that never fails to make me happy.

Happy summer, everyone!

I also want to add that I am not a natural summer lover since I don't do well in the heat, I stress about the extra money that a/c is costing us, and we don't even have any vacations or fun summer plans to look forward to, but none of that gets in the way of me enjoying the Solstice!

Kara

freein05
6-21-11, 1:03pm
That is a touching post about you Omi. Such memories are wonderful to live with and share. Come up to Big Trees. It is beautiful up here although we are getting some hot weather this week also. If you want cooler go about 20 miles farther up hwy 4. It is still winter at Lake Alpine. There is about 3 feet of snow there.

treehugger
6-21-11, 1:10pm
I love Big Trees! We were in Angels Camp and Sonora in March (I think we talked about that). What a beautiful area. We live on Highway 4, too, but many miles west of you. :)

Kara

goldensmom
6-21-11, 3:51pm
Thank you for the First Day of Summer greeting. The way I see it, however, is that it is one day closer to fall!!!!

Gina
6-21-11, 6:15pm
Here in my part of the SoCal coast, and in honor of your Omi on her birthday, the sun burned through the foggy marine layer early today, and it's an absolutely lovely day. I assume it's the same in Santa Barbara. What a lovely place. I once went to their solstice parade - it was ALIVE.
http://www.ez-smilies.com/smilies/character00285.gif

I also love the summer solstice.

treehugger
6-21-11, 6:36pm
Thank you for the First Day of Summer greeting. The way I see it, however, is that it is one day closer to fall!!!!

ha! That made me laugh. Autumn is my favorite season, I am totally with you. :)

Here in my part of the SoCal coast, and in honor of your Omi on her birthday, the sun burned through the foggy marine layer early today, and it's an absolutely lovely day. I assume it's the same in Santa Barbara. What a lovely place. I once went to their solstice parade - it was ALIVE.

Glad you had a lovely day in honor of the special date! Santa Barbara is mostly immune from the May-June Gloom phenomenon of the rest of SoCal. I think the City Council voted against it. ;)

Kara

Mrs-M
6-21-11, 10:19pm
I loved the story. Thanks Treehugger.

razz
6-22-11, 10:43am
Funny how we are more aware of summer solstice than any other in our family. It seems to be more of a transition in the season.

Thanks for sharing a lovely memory!

IshbelRobertson
6-22-11, 10:57am
Lovely story about your grandparents!

I have only once attended a summer solstice ceremony at Stonehenge - waaaay back, when they actually let you walk amongst the stones. Here's a link to something in the Independent http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/this-britain/weather-failed-to-dampen-summer-solstice-2300476.html

BTW, I'm not a druid, pagan or a hippie, just happened to live nearby at the time and friends always took part in the solstice ceremony, so I tagged along!