PDA

View Full Version : Unclaimed property

Tybee
4-22-22, 6:06am
Has anyone else tried the unclaimed property site--
https://unclaimed.org/search/

It is really easy to use and you select your state and put in your name and the unclaimed properties pop up.

I read about it on another forum and found a couple of refunds that I am filing for. I also found some in my brother's name and told him about it but he thinks it's a scam. My son found a refund from the Chicago Tribune and he filed a claim already and the money is supposedly on its way. You file the claim with your state Treasury.

I was telling other family members and my brother freaked me out by saying it was a scam.

My husband is going to file the one that came up for him in Illinois, and he saw one for his sister.

Has anybody else used this?

Tradd
4-22-22, 6:18am
It’s not a scam. It’s legit. Each state has its own version of this. Never found anything for me on IL’s site.

Tybee
4-22-22, 6:20am
Thanks!

herbgeek
4-22-22, 6:26am
I've used the Massachusetts specific one. Between my husband and I, we recovered about $300. This was mostly from fractions of stock we had purchased from our companies 30 years ago, and a couple of retail refunds that had gone to our old address after we had moved.

Tybee
4-22-22, 6:33am
Oh good, my brother would be using the Massachusetts one.

catherine
4-22-22, 8:24am
Yes, I did it once and learned the State was holding a refund from Continental Airlines for me.

Tybee
4-22-22, 9:14am
Yes, I did it once and learned the State was holding a refund from Continental Airlines for me.

Catherine, have you done it lately for New Jersey? The three things I found for my son and for me were all after we moved to different states, which is probably why they could not find us.

Alan
4-22-22, 9:46am
Several years ago I visited my state's unclaimed funds site and found myself. It showed that I had a $50 refund from a local cable company from back in the late 80's. The problem with collecting was that they wanted me to provide proof that it was my account by submitting a bill from that time period with the appropriate account number and home address on it. Of course, I had no way of doing that as I haven't done business with that company in years and it was several home addresses ago, so those funds remain unclaimed.

Tybee
4-22-22, 9:54am
Oh, I see. Well, I'll have to see if I can muster up what the Ill site has asked for.

beckyliz
4-22-22, 2:39pm
Some states have their own sites and some use sites that cover lots of different states. You should never have to pay a fee.

catherine
4-22-22, 2:45pm
Catherine, have you done it lately for New Jersey? The three things I found for my son and for me were all after we moved to different states, which is probably why they could not find us.

No, I haven't don't it lately, but I know I did back then. Maybe I'll try again!!

catherine
4-22-22, 3:03pm
No, I haven't don't it lately, but I know I did back then. Maybe I'll try again!!

What do you know? If I upload my ID (SS#, DL, proof of address), they're going to send me $93! Bingo!

Tybee
4-22-22, 4:33pm
What do you know? If I upload my ID (SS#, DL, proof of address), they're going to send me $93! Bingo!

That's great!!

happystuff
4-23-22, 10:49am

So I like the idea of getting my own money, but the info they want just makes me so leery/cautious. That's enough stuff for identity theft right there.

Tybee
4-23-22, 11:17am
So I like the idea of getting my own money, but the info they want just makes me so leery/cautious. That's enough stuff for identity theft right there.

I just hit the submit claim button and then got emailed forms from the Illinois Treasurer. So I will be mailing my forms to the office of the Illinois State Treasurer.

My son just had to hit the claim button and got back message from the Treasurer that they would send him the money, nothing else needed. I just have to do the stuff that Alan was talking about, find old address verification and I'm good to send the forms in the mail.

happystuff
4-23-22, 11:24am
I just hit the submit claim button and then got emailed forms from the Illinois Treasurer. So I will be mailing my forms to the office of the Illinois State Treasurer.

My son just had to hit the claim button and got back message from the Treasurer that they would send him the money, nothing else needed. I just have to do the stuff that Alan was talking about, find old address verification and I'm good to send the forms in the mail.

Interesting. Thanks. I don't think I have any unclaimed money, but it might be worth a shot.

Edited to add: Just checked - nothing. LOL.

Tybee
4-23-22, 11:30am
Aw. too bad. I did not find any in the past three states I lived in, so mine were definitely very old, from after I moved, and they could not find me. Same with my son.