PDA

View Full Version : Powdered whole eggs - anyone have experience with them?

Nella
6-21-11, 5:49pm
Today at the Costco I sprang for a container of powdered whole eggs. They are more expensive per egg than purchasing fresh eggs by the dozen, but it just seems like I'll buy a dozen and then hardly ever use them. They'll sit in my fridge for six months or more. So, I figured I'd give the powdered version a try. I really like eggs "easy side up" but I guess I can give that up in order to save the cost of dumping all those dozens of eggs. Has anyone here used reconstituted powdered whole eggs? I've used powdered egg whites in the past for special receipes, but never the whole powdered eggs. Thanks all!

loosechickens
6-21-11, 8:52pm
We once went to a "survivalist" show in Las Vegas, before Y2K, with friends who were selling vacuum packers there, and I got talked into splitting a big #10 can of powdered whole eggs with a friend. I put my half in a tightly fitted, lidded container in the fridge and used the powder for several years for baking, etc. I couldn't bring myself to eat them as "scrambled eggs", but used them in recipes and they worked fine. And if you don't use a lot of eggs, and find them going bad on you, the powdered ones seem to be a good alternative. You've always got eggs when you want to bake, etc., and they are probably even o.k. to eat as scrambled eggs, although I never tried that.

What I do now if I find myself with no eggs, is just use soy flour and a little water to substitute for an egg in a baking recipe, and while it doesn't seem to give as good a consistency to the baked goods as real eggs, it's o.k. when you find yourself sans eggs, but want to bake something.

H-work
6-24-11, 11:20am
They work great for baking. Not so good scrambled. My kids won't eat them scrambled, even when I just try to stretch the fresh eggs by adding a little bit of powder to the fresh.

My dad-in-law, tho, likes them. He says they taste like the ones he ate in his army years.

I have a recipe to make egg nog from powder but haven't been brave enough to try it yet.

Brian
6-24-11, 2:47pm
If stuck they make great custard as seem to set up faster and thicker than fresh eggs... I tend to use powdered egg whites in baking and stretch expensive island eggs... less objection to them than whole egg powder in scrambled. I get the egg white powder at a discount store relatively cheap, but inconsistent supply, so stock up when there.

Old army trick was to add half an egg shell into powdered egg mix for illusionary effect. :)

Kevin
7-2-11, 6:00am
For many people, powdered egg is associated with rationing during and after World War 2. The Ministry of Food in London published lots of recipes, like this for Welsh Eggs which included some useful tips on how to get the best out of powdered egg, which doesn't sound too appetising now, but at the time they were probably grateful for what they could get:

http://www.fortunecity.co.uk/meltingpot/oxford/330/ration/de031.jpg

and this for egg custard:

http://www.fortunecity.co.uk/meltingpot/oxford/330/ration/de032.jpg