PDA

View Full Version : Gas prices

Molly
5-20-22, 1:01pm
I get the feeling that we are just beginning to see a permanent rise in gas prices. Peak oil production is coming soon or is already here. I remember back in the 70s when gas prices rose and everyone ran out to buy a compact car. Then prices fell again and everyone was buying mom vans and SUVs. High gas prices have been Europe's reality for a very long time. Somehow, Americans believe it's their god given right to cheap gas.

Thoughts?

Yppej
5-20-22, 1:16pm
It's not so much my right to cheap gas, but the right to not be further socked in the wallet via regressive gas taxes. Already - and this intensified during the pandemic - the superrich got richer and the working class is worse off.

The poor have a larger social safety net under Biden. It's those who work for a living who are really struggling with things like high housing costs, since they don't qualify for subsidized housing. I know many young families who would love to buy but just can't. Meanwhile, houses are snatched up by corporations. So it's not just gas, it's a whole system of "let them drive electric cars" which is a variation on "let them eat cake" given the range limit, the high purchase costs, and the limited charging infrastructure.

Europe is not as spread out as the US. You're not comparing apples to oranges.

Alan
5-20-22, 1:23pm
I think the biggest influence on gas prices has nothing to do with peak oil, but rather governmental policies designed to restrict or enhance production coupled with per gallon taxes levied by both federal and state governments.

It's interesting to note that our government began restricting access to oil leases just under 1.5 years ago while also increasing regulatory hurdles and fees for producers. I think this had a two fold purpose, one being to reduce consumer usage through price increases brought on by scarcity and the second being a political maneuver to placate a particular wing of the dominant political party. Unfortunately, having successfully doubled the price of fuel in just over a year had a downside. Everyday people (voters) began to complain which then forced our government to send emissaries to bad actors such as Venezuela and Saudi Arabia asking them to increase production in hopes of somewhat relieving the pressure to do something without having to reverse the policies which contributed to the complaint.

I think we should expect all energy prices to soar through 2024 and into the first quarter of 2025 when a more citizen friendly administration takes over.

ApatheticNoMore
5-20-22, 1:38pm
I live in a state (California) with relatively (maybe not by european but definitely by u.s. standards) high gas taxes and high gas prices and I'm VERY MUCH in favor of it. It's 5.50 and up currently. Because the average vehicle driven does seem to be smaller than in many states. So it works.

The charging infrastructure for electric vehicles is not bad either and there are a decent amount of electric vehicles on the road (still majority gas vehicles). But it is inconvenient to a degree if you can't charge at home and have to go to a charging station, this can take a few hours every charge.

I don't complain that it's a problem that we have these gas prices because the world is not perfectly fair or we are owed cheap housing prices either (lol cheap housing prices). The world is not fair, but maybe isn't going to be anytime soon. And despite the world not being fair, I still favor positive measures to cut down on gas use.

The peak oil thing, I don't know that I believe it all, but WE SHOULD BE SO LUCKY. I mean peak oil was talked about a bit maybe 15 years ago. It didn't happen because while conventional oil may have peaked, they found ways to exploit unconventional oil like shale oil. I'm not sure those are peaked out. The thing is there is enough oil in the ground to fry the planet several times over I suspect, and those who said that then, and sheesh I was involved with things, met a climate scientists who said: "there is enough oil to fry the planet", were right. Those worried about peak oil were not, climate change is the real threat. So we should be so lucky that it ran out, but I don't think we will be.

Tradd
5-20-22, 1:43pm
I’m getting really tired of the buy an EV, ride a bike, or take public transit spiel.

Yppej
5-20-22, 2:08pm
Many areas of the US do not have public transportation. There is none that could get me to work. It is an hour's drive from where I live. I could spend thousands on a motorcycle but it would not work all the cold months of the year or when it's raining, and I already get close to 50 miles per gallon.

I did think about applying for a job closer to home but the manager at the nearby location is verbally abusive and I just couldn't go there.

Teacher Terry
5-20-22, 2:47pm
I totally agree with you Yppej! I am glad that I don’t have to drive much anymore.

Tradd
5-20-22, 2:53pm
Many areas of the US do not have public transportation. There is none that could get me to work. It is an hour's drive from where I live. I could spend thousands on a motorcycle but it would not work all the cold months of the year or when it's raining, and I already get close to 50 miles per gallon.

I did think about applying for a job closer to home but the manager at the nearby location is verbally abusive and I just couldn't go there.

I don’t normally agree with you, but definitely do on this.

frugal-one
5-20-22, 3:31pm
I think the biggest influence on gas prices has nothing to do with peak oil, but rather governmental policies designed to restrict or enhance production coupled with per gallon taxes levied by both federal and state governments.

It's interesting to note that our government began restricting access to oil leases just under 1.5 years ago while also increasing regulatory hurdles and fees for producers. I think this had a two fold purpose, one being to reduce consumer usage through price increases brought on by scarcity and the second being a political maneuver to placate a particular wing of the dominant political party. Unfortunately, having successfully doubled the price of fuel in just over a year had a downside. Everyday people (voters) began to complain which then forced our government to send emissaries to bad actors such as Venezuela and Saudi Arabia asking them to increase production in hopes of somewhat relieving the pressure to do something without having to reverse the policies which contributed to the complaint.

I think we should expect all energy prices to soar through 2024 and into the first quarter of 2025 when a more citizen friendly administration takes over.

As discussed in another thread …. this would definitely not be Republicans!

Yppej
5-20-22, 3:47pm
[/B]

As discussed in another thread …. this would definitely not be Republicans!

Depends on whether you like the constitution, and things like free speech, or believe Big Brother should be monitoring you for "disinformation" and to force the elite's ideas on everyone else.

Rogar
5-20-22, 4:03pm

I can't recall the specific references, but there are experts who believe big oil is happy and enjoying basking in their profits. The volatility of oil prices, with the ups and downs of covid demand influences and supply issues due to war have made new developments too much of a risk of new long term capital investments. I'm not sure how a change of regimes will change that aspect of things.

Molly
5-21-22, 11:27am
when a more citizen friendly administration takes over.

If this refers to the Republicans, then I would like to say that they tend to be the party of "profits over people". I would not call them "citizen friendly"

Rogar
5-22-22, 7:40am
I would consider "citizen friendly" a euphemism.

frugal-one
5-22-22, 12:12pm
I would consider "citizen friendly" a euphemism.

Meaning what to you?

Rogar
5-22-22, 12:24pm
In context I take it to mean cheap gas for everyone, possibly controlled by the government. Out of context and what it means to me is up to one's imagination.

Alan
5-23-22, 5:27pm
It looks like prices will continue to increase while availability decreases going forward, at least in the near term. Will There Be Enough Diesel, Jet Fuel, and Gasoline This Summer? - IER (instituteforenergyresearch.org) (https://www.instituteforenergyresearch.org/fossil-fuels/gas-and-oil/will-there-be-enough-diesel-jet-fuel-and-gasoline-this-summer/)

Rogar
5-23-22, 5:59pm
Wikipedia describes the IER as a front for the fossil fuel industry, founded by Charles Koch, funded in part by big oil, and has published papers that oppose efforts to control greenhouse gasses. They could be right, but considering the source I'd want further research to fact check and my suspicions of an agenda are aroused.

That said, our local news is predicting a possible dollar a gallon more increase over the summer, and polls say quite a few people are changing summer travel plans due to gas prices. We're still slightly below $4.00 here.

"The real reason why big oil won't save us from high energy prices."

https://time.com/collection-post/6156525/gas-prices-oil-prices-oil-and-gas-industry/

Alan
5-23-22, 6:17pm
Wikipedia describes the IER as a front for the fossil fuel industry, founded by Charles Koch, funded in part by big oil, and has published papers that oppose efforts to control greenhouse gasses. They could be right, but considering the source I'd want further research to fact check and my suspicions of an agenda are aroused.

As long as we're talking now about reliability of sources: Wikipedia:Wikipedia is not a reliable source - Wikipedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Wikipedia_is_not_a_reliable_source)

Rogar
5-23-22, 6:45pm
As long as we're talking now about reliability of sources: Wikipedia:Wikipedia is not a reliable source - Wikipedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Wikipedia_is_not_a_reliable_source)

So you're saying they were wrong about IER?

Not my day to fact check, it just aroused my suspicions..

Alan
5-23-22, 6:50pm
So you're saying they were wrong about IER?

No, just suggesting if you want to disprove something, Wikipedia shouldn't be your 'go to' source.

ApatheticNoMore
5-23-22, 6:55pm
But it's easily backed by other sources. So making it about Wikipedia is silly.

Rogar
5-23-22, 7:01pm
No, just suggesting if you want to disprove something, Wikipedia shouldn't be your 'go to' source.

In this particular case for my edification, where would you go to verify?

I added the Time article for my second source, but you know about the liberal media. I think you statement about wiki was a diversion from the specific issue.

Alan
5-23-22, 7:43pm
In this particular case for my edification, where would you go to verify?

I added the Time article for my second source, but you know about the liberal media. I think you statement about wiki was a diversion from the specific issue.
I'm not sure what the issue was then. I shared an article I thought was interesting and you questioned the veracity of its source using another source which admits its own questionable veracity. All things considered, I'm wondering which of us was actually diverting.

pinkytoe
5-24-22, 12:04am
One of the things I remember about gas hikes in the past was how people were willing to conserve - driving slower, getting smaller cars, hypermiling - I haven't seen that this time around. Seems like SUVs ad trucks are bigger than ever.

ApatheticNoMore
5-24-22, 1:15am
One of the things I remember about gas hikes in the past was how people were willing to conserve - driving slower, getting smaller cars, hypermiling - I haven't seen that this time around.

agreed. More bicycling, less people on the road, ancient small vehicles coming out of someone's garage. It's all happened. But not this time. Most recent gas station I saw was like $6.50 a gallon here.

I think the pandemic broke people in ways, that now there is a kind of YOLO/FOMO (you only live once/fear of missing out) vibe and making up for lost time, and who cares if gas approaches $7 a gallon.

There was also a lot of money created in the pandemic as well of course, but it was anything but equally distributed, most people got a few small stimulus checks, higher unemployment payments mostly meant you could actually live off it while it existed (ordinarily you can't). So someone got rich, but not most people for very long probably (savings levels are back down to prepandemic levels).

Or maybe people are just getting dumber and never even think of the (some of them admittedly somewhat ridiculous) hacks of the past to save money on gas (the 40 year old vehicles was funny)

Seems like SUVs ad trucks are bigger than ever.

that part is regional, I think higher gas taxes and long term more expensive gas does lead to smaller vehicles (around here), but it's because we always have more expensive gas (I mean normal gas prices are $4 something a gallon, that's normal here, but clearly they are up from that).

Yppej
5-24-22, 5:07am
One of the things I remember about gas hikes in the past was how people were willing to conserve - driving slower, getting smaller cars, hypermiling - I haven't seen that this time around. Seems like SUVs ad trucks are bigger than ever.

There are few vehicles for sale now due to the chip shortage.

Rogar
5-24-22, 11:00am
I'm not sure what the issue was then. I shared an article I thought was interesting and you questioned the veracity of its source using another source which admits its own questionable veracity. All things considered, I'm wondering which of us was actually diverting.

It's pretty easy to google IRE or IRE "credible source" since you distrust Wikipedia or Time magazine.

I did find it interesting to see what information a big oil backed organization was promoting. I actually followed it along pretty good until the political rant at the end and questioned the unbiased nature of the source.

Alan
5-24-22, 11:42am
I did find it interesting to see what information a big oil backed organization was promoting. I actually followed it along pretty good until the political rant at the end.
Yes, the article was filled with links to government sources to back up all the information provided so I couldn't determine why you implied it was oil company propaganda.

Which part of the rant did you disagree with?

"The major reason for escalating petroleum prices in this country is President Biden’s anti-oil and gas policies. His administration recently canceled three offshore lease sales, after canceling the Keystone XL pipeline and placing a moratoria on oil and gas drilling on federal lands. Despite his assurances that he is “working like the devil” on the oil and gas problem, oil companies will not invest in new wells and fields under the current Biden administration because all its actions are designed to lower long-term production and increase prices as a means to achieve its “net zero” aspirations. President Joe Biden promised this when he said (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=viAXGth3gQA), “no ability for the oil industry to continue to drill, period, ends.” Given that background and nothing but actions confirming that goal since taking office, the regulatory situation is too uncertain for positive action to be taken by oil companies.. Americans are going to be hurt."

Rogar
5-24-22, 11:48am
Which part of the rant did you disagree with?

"The major reason for escalating petroleum prices in this country is President Biden’s anti-oil and gas policies. His administration recently canceled three offshore lease sales, after canceling the Keystone XL pipeline and placing a moratoria on oil and gas drilling on federal lands. Despite his assurances that he is “working like the devil” on the oil and gas problem, oil companies will not invest in new wells and fields under the current Biden administration because all its actions are designed to lower long-term production and increase prices as a means to achieve its “net zero” aspirations. President Joe Biden promised this when he said (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=viAXGth3gQA), “no ability for the oil industry to continue to drill, period, ends.” Given that background and nothing but actions confirming that goal since taking office, the regulatory situation is too uncertain for positive action to be taken by oil companies.. Americans are going to be hurt."

Yes. See the Time article I referenced if you've not already seen it. As I've mentioned, I've pretty much discredited the article after looking into the source.

ApatheticNoMore
5-24-22, 11:55am
Well yes even the part quoted is just factually wrong in many ways. So there is that.

Biden plans to resume oil and gas drilling on public land:
https://www.reuters.com/world/us/us-resume-oil-gas-drilling-public-land-despite-biden-campaign-pledge-2022-04-15/

I don't say this is good. It's NOT good. But getting basic facts wrong is all.

The keystone XL that was cancelled had long since been abandoned as even being good business, so it's purely symbolic, on all sides.

The major reason for escalating petroleum prices in this country is President Biden’s anti-oil and gas policies.

No. We have several things going on with inflation. There is a war yes. There has been increased demand for goods. There was a lot of money created (but who got it, well not overwhelmingly Joe Average who had a bit of a savings bump that has now disappeared, but it doesn't mean someone didn't). There might also be pure price gouging going on as well, I don't know.

They are shills pushing for more oil drilling. And we should not be doing more oil drilling.

JaneV2.0
5-24-22, 12:09pm
"No. We have several things going on with inflation. There is a war yes. There has been increased demand for goods. There was a lot of money created (but who got it, well not overwhelmingly Joe Average who had a bit of a savings bump that has now disappeared, but it doesn't mean someone didn't). There might also be pure price gouging going on as well, I don't know.

They are shills pushing for more oil drilling. And we should not be doing more oil drilling."

This is a worldwide phenomenon; not everything wrong with the planet is President Biden's fault.

Yppej
5-24-22, 7:27pm
Today Kissinger said Ukraine should trade territory for peace. #RealPolitik

JaneV2.0
5-24-22, 9:22pm
Today Kissinger said Ukraine should trade territory for peace. #RealPolitik

Appeasement doesn't work. Even if a country caved to the invaders, the invaders would only be emboldened to demand more and more. I'm tired of apologists for Russia, personally.

bae
5-24-22, 9:27pm
Appeasement doesn't work. Even if a country caved to the invaders, the invaders would only be emboldened to demand more and more. I'm tired of apologists for Russia, personally.

I believe the traditional phrase is "useful idiot".

jp1
5-24-22, 10:33pm
"No. We have several things going on with inflation. There is a war yes. There has been increased demand for goods. There was a lot of money created (but who got it, well not overwhelmingly Joe Average who had a bit of a savings bump that has now disappeared, but it doesn't mean someone didn't). There might also be pure price gouging going on as well, I don't know.

They are shills pushing for more oil drilling. And we should not be doing more oil drilling."

This is a worldwide phenomenon; not everything wrong with the planet is President Biden's fault.

Wait, so it's not biden's fault that oil and gas have gone up in price all across the globe? Next you're going to tell me that inflation around the globe has cranked up on lots of other stuff too because of Biden. And, oh my god, that the oil companies had significantly bigger profits in Q1 2022 than they did in Q1 2021 because, well, because they could because of biden somehow. Surely all that must be the president's fault. If only he had socialized baby formula and drilling leases and forced the FDA to allow tainted formula to be sold to families and forced oil companies to use the drilling leases they already had none of any of this would have occurred. But wait, socialism is bad, so no, he shouldn't have socialized baby formula or oil company drilling plans. Oh geez, now my head is spinning because so much of this is just obviously dumb-****ery committed by people with an agenda.

I guess on the plus side at least biden hasn't told ukraine to suck it up and allow some of their citizens to become forced Russians. I suppose Russian apologists will try to claim that it would be a good thing somehow because, you know, Daddy America (close relative of Nanny G who gets to tell the wimmin what to do with their bodies) knows best.

bae
5-24-22, 10:36pm
Today here at Ice Station Zebra:

https://i.imgur.com/CjStNZU.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/ekLCTsv.jpg

JaneV2.0
5-24-22, 10:47pm
I believe the traditional phrase is "useful idiot".

Kissinger is high-enough profile to get an upgrade to "asset."

bae
5-24-22, 10:49pm
Kissinger is high-enough profile to get an upgrade to "asset."

https://dv2oc5tyj18yr.cloudfront.net/reel13/files/2020/10/ViewerGuide_DrStrangelove.jpg

JaneV2.0
5-24-22, 10:50pm
What an adorable car! It almost makes me nostalgic for my little blue VW. Almost.

JaneV2.0
5-24-22, 10:55pm
Dr. Strangelove. Everything old is new again.

bae
5-24-22, 11:00pm
What an adorable car! It almost makes me nostalgic for my little blue VW. Almost.

It is nearly my favorite car, and I have a whole fleet to pick from. It's reasonably zippy here, handles like a go-cart, the dog fits in the back or all the groceries or mulch in the world, has zero maintenance cost as far as I can tell, doesn't need fuel, and is cute. And in our horrid heat wave last year I parked it in the shade under a tree in my driveway and used it as an air-conditioned office.

iris lilies
5-24-22, 11:06pm
What car? Imma lookin at the handsome hound!

bae
5-24-22, 11:14pm
What car? Imma lookin at the handsome hound!

He's quite a genius.

https://i.imgur.com/SHz0Ui8.jpg

pinkytoe
5-25-22, 12:04am
Is his name Beauregard?

bae
5-25-22, 12:32am
Is his name Beauregard?

It is "Elvis", the only word he knew when I got him from the rescue agency years ago, as a totally wild ~2 year old. He's saved over 40 lives so far as my partner-in-crime.

JaneV2.0
5-25-22, 1:05am
My nephew had a shar-pei mix called Nixon. Elvis is very distinguished looking--like an aging politician.

ToomuchStuff
5-25-22, 1:51am
has zero maintenance cost as far as I can tell, doesn't need fuel, and is cute. And in

How do the brakes operate? What does it use in place of rubber parts (tires, wipers, etc) and fluids (brake, wiper, etc).
Low, but still greater then zero.
I did a pricing on the conversion of my 71 beetle to electric and the payback isn't there.

bae
5-25-22, 1:56am
How do the brakes operate? What does it use in place of rubber parts (tires, wipers, etc) and fluids (brake, wiper, etc).
Low, but still greater then zero.
I did a pricing on the conversion of my 71 beetle to electric and the payback isn't there.

The brakes seem to not be wearing much due to the regenerative braking, and there is a 1200 foot descent from my house to the main road here every day.

Tires/wipers of course have to be replaced now-and-then, don't be silly, but I drive < 4000 miles a year except for vacations. The service manual calls out a yearly task of lubricating the rails on the sunroof and replacing the cabin air filter. It's basically zero, compared to my coffee budget.

I have done nothing to this car over 3 years other than replace wiper fluid and lubricating the sunroof. I will replace the rear tires sometime in the next several years, they seem to cost $75/tire. My Porsche tires are $350/tire. My Hummer H1 tires are $500/tire.

ToomuchStuff
5-25-22, 9:41am
"don't be silly", I used to work in a garage, and have seen how people forget about/abuse their vehicles. Late bosses truck, needed new tires, at 30K and 10 years old, due to dry rot. Other boss and his brother, would be lucky to change his oil, let alone clean out the vehicle at 12K. I don't see it as silly, to remind people how expensive it is to ignore them.

happystuff
6-21-22, 6:33pm
The change in work location, plus the change to earlier summer hours and also considering gas prices, I have walked home from work the last two days. (2.5 miles and 40-45 minutes) One of my children leaves for work as early as I do and drives past my building, so I have been dropped off in the mornings and then just walked home. I won't do it every day, but am happy that I am physically able to after putting in a 10 hour day.

pinkytoe
6-21-22, 7:02pm
Drove our 800+ mile trip (each way) to Texas last week and spent $305 total on gas. Surprised as it was lower than we expected.

Yppej
6-21-22, 9:28pm
Slight lowering of the price where I am, but diesel/home heating is still significantly higher. I"m scared people will die of hypothermia this winter if things don't change. Even at much lower price points people who can't afford the minimum delivery charge for home heating oil get 5 gallons of diesel at a time from the gas station. But I'm sure the White House will be nice and toasty.

Tybee
6-22-22, 6:31am
We have heating oil, Yppej, and we are trying to figure out how to change that before next winter. Yes, people will die of hypthermia here.

jp1
6-22-22, 6:46am
Slight lowering of the price where I am, but diesel/home heating is still significantly higher. I"m scared people will die of hypothermia this winter if things don't change. Even at much lower price points people who can't afford the minimum delivery charge for home heating oil get 5 gallons of diesel at a time from the gas station. But I'm sure the White House will be nice and toasty.

It’s probably only really old people that are at risk of dying of hypothermia in their homes next winter. If they don’t die of that they would likely have died of something else anyway so it’s no big deal.

Tybee
6-22-22, 6:59am
Please stop. It's a real problem. We are loathe to run ours, paid a thousand dollars a month to fill it, and we both have COPD. Not a joke.

catherine
6-22-22, 7:57am
We have heating oil, Yppej, and we are trying to figure out how to change that before next winter. Yes, people will die of hypthermia here.

Is there any way you could get a ductless mini-split/heat pump? I don't know how big your house is but I'm getting a single zone one for $3600 installed. It could be a good redundant system-i.e., if you still have your oil burner, and the temperatures drop REALLY low you still have the oil burner to supplement.

Tybee
6-22-22, 8:40am
Is there any way you could get a ductless mini-split/heat pump? I don't know how big your house is but I'm getting a single zone one for $3600 installed. It could be a good redundant system-i.e., if you still have your oil burner, and the temperatures drop REALLY low you still have the oil burner to supplement.

I love this idea! Who did you call to give you an estimate. I especially like the back up heat idea. The single zone one--does it cool, too? Maybe I could get one for upstairs and one for down. House is 1500 square feet and currently has no heat on second floor.

catherine
6-22-22, 9:36am
I love this idea! Who did you call to give you an estimate. I especially like the back up heat idea. The single zone one--does it cool, too? Maybe I could get one for upstairs and one for down. House is 1500 square feet and currently has no heat on second floor.

I got quotes from regular local HVAC guys who advertised that they do heat pumps. Yes, the good thing about heat pumps is they are two-firs... you get the cooling with the heat. DH was not happy about that because he didn't want air conditioning, but I had to tell him that it doesn't matter--the technology is such that both are built-in. I don't know if you could even ask for a heat pump that doesn't cool. If you got two zones, it would be more expensive obviously but it wouldn't be double.

Also, Maine might have rebates you can get--the people who sell and install the heat pump would know what's available.

ETA: good information here from Efficiency Maine. https://www.efficiencymaine.com/heat-pumps/

Tybee
6-22-22, 12:41pm
I got quotes from regular local HVAC guys who advertised that they do heat pumps. Yes, the good thing about heat pumps is they are two-firs... you get the cooling with the heat. DH was not happy about that because he didn't want air conditioning, but I had to tell him that it doesn't matter--the technology is such that both are built-in. I don't know if you could even ask for a heat pump that doesn't cool. If you got two zones, it would be more expensive obviously but it wouldn't be double.

Also, Maine might have rebates you can get--the people who sell and install the heat pump would know what's available.

ETA: good information here from Efficiency Maine. https://www.efficiencymaine.com/heat-pumps/

Thank you!

beckyliz
6-22-22, 1:56pm
I filled up this morning. The price for regular was $4.52/gal - down about .15 from last week. I had .10 off from my loyalty program, so that helped. It was still just under $50 for 11 gallons.

Yppej
6-22-22, 2:00pm
My electric will not support anything additional like minisplits, and electric is through the roof in my area. Yet that is what all the rebates are for nowadays, pushing a green agenda, even though the electricity is produced with fossil fuels.

To understand how people of any age could die of hypothermia I would recommend JP read the novel "The Beans of Egypt, Maine". Its characters are unforgettable.

My house is 1500 square feet - basement where the pipes are and I don't want them to freeze, first floor, second floor (Cape). All one zone currently but I know a minisplit couldn't handle them all.

As I don't travel far anymore wood would be ideal, but that would require a new chimney. It's expensive to switch from one type of heating to another. Supplemental is more doable depending on your house.

jp1
6-23-22, 12:31am
Please stop. It's a real problem. We are loathe to run ours, paid a thousand dollars a month to fill it, and we both have COPD. Not a joke.

I assume this was directed at me. For those that haven't been following yppej and my ongoing disagreement about covid precautions this was snark. I'm not the one who doesn't care that old and frail people are dying. And apparently she actually DOES care if old and frail people die if it's of a cause that fits her current preferred narrative. It's only if they die of a disease that she'd rather pretend isn't a thing that they don't matter.

Yppej
6-23-22, 5:25am
I assume this was directed at me. For those that haven't been following yppej and my ongoing disagreement about covid precautions this was snark. I'm not the one who doesn't care that old and frail people are dying. And apparently she actually DOES care if old and frail people die if it's of a cause that fits her current preferred narrative. It's only if they die of a disease that she'd rather pretend isn't a thing that they don't matter.

The average age of death from covid is higher in my state than average life expectancy. Would I rather live longer and die of covid, or live shorter and die of something else?

If I didn't die of covid it would be pneumonia or some other opportunistic infection. We all have to die of something.

jp1
6-24-22, 1:50am
We all have to die of something.

Exactly. And freezing to death in one’s home is just another of the infinite ways that people can die so I don’t understand why you would present it as a bad thing.

bae
6-24-22, 3:15am
Two different pumps today on the island:

https://i.imgur.com/qBj0AU6.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/THFxb58.jpg

rosarugosa
6-24-22, 6:06am
My electric will not support anything additional like minisplits, and electric is through the roof in my area. Yet that is what all the rebates are for nowadays, pushing a green agenda, even though the electricity is produced with fossil fuels.

To understand how people of any age could die of hypothermia I would recommend JP read the novel "The Beans of Egypt, Maine". Its characters are unforgettable.

My house is 1500 square feet - basement where the pipes are and I don't want them to freeze, first floor, second floor (Cape). All one zone currently but I know a minisplit couldn't handle them all.

As I don't travel far anymore wood would be ideal, but that would require a new chimney. It's expensive to switch from one type of heating to another. Supplemental is more doable depending on your house.

Actually, when we replaced our furnace in 2018, we could get a substantial rebate by replacing it with a new oil burning furnace, but not if we switched over to another type, so it really didn't seem to be pushing a green agenda at all, other than encouraging the installation of a newer, more fuel-efficient system.

Yppej
6-24-22, 6:12am
Actually, when we replaced our furnace in 2018, we could get a substantial rebate by replacing it with a new oil burning furnace, but not if we switched over to another type, so it really didn't seem to be pushing a green agenda at all, other than encouraging the installation of a newer, more fuel-efficient system.

That changed this year.

ToomuchStuff
6-24-22, 10:27am
Two different pumps today on the island:

https://i.imgur.com/qBj0AU6.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/THFxb58.jpg

Where is the second one? Love to see what a historic garage/gas station looks like out there, since that is where I see most of those.

bae
6-24-22, 10:32am
It’s at an old timey small-cabins-on-the-beach resort here that’s been around ~100 years. The pump still works, the price is “free”, but it is only used to fuel the resort’s service vehicles :-). Wish I could buy gas there at the marked 33 cents per gallon.

rosarugosa
6-24-22, 6:50pm
That changed this year.

It looks like they are still giving rebates for replacement with gas or oil appliances. The rebates are much smaller than for heat pumps, but they do have them in addition to 0% loans.

https://www.masssave.com/en/saving/residential-rebates

ToomuchStuff
6-25-22, 7:12pm
It’s at an old timey small-cabins-on-the-beach resort here that’s been around ~100 years. The pump still works, the price is “free”, but it is only used to fuel the resort’s service vehicles :-). Wish I could buy gas there at the marked 33 cents per gallon.

There is an old time gas station by my house, they tried to sell it as a house a while back. It fell through for several reasons:
1. Price for what it needed.
The legal stuff it needs
2. gas tanks need to be removed from the ground and the ground abated. They have been in since it closed, pre 1940.
3. The garage for the house, was built half on the house property and half on railroad property behind it.

bae
6-28-22, 3:11pm
How much are you folks spending per month on gas?

This article suggests the average American is shelling out a small fortune:

https://www.coxautoinc.com/market-insights/5-gas-hits-drivers-of-less-efficient-vehicles-hard/

Even when I was driving just petro-powered vehicles, it's rare I'd drive more than 3000-4000 miles a year unless I went on a road trip. No matter how fuel efficient a vehicle I have here, I get < 20 miles/gallon because of the terrain.

pinkytoe
6-28-22, 3:25pm
When not traveling, we are spending $55 a month for one fill up. Glad we have one little CR-V right now. I can't imagine what all these big trucks must be spending on gas.

bae
6-28-22, 3:33pm
When not traveling, we are spending $55 a month for one fill up. Glad we have one little CR-V right now. I can't imagine what all these big trucks must be spending on gas.

My Hummer H1 has ~45 gallons of fuel capacity, it'd cost me ~$300 to fill up. And my big boat takes ~300 gallons of diesel, so, well, I've been using the little boat a lot instead, which is fine, it's summer and the weather is calmer. I even rowed to the mainland last week, which was free except for the cost of cheeseburgers to feed the engine :-)

jp1
6-28-22, 5:15pm
I spent $80 last week but only buy gas every 5-6 weeks. I only drive 50-60 miles/week except for the occasional road trip like I took in April down to Southern California.

For us it’s our utilities that are Going through the roof. Even when we don’t use heat or a/c 300 kWh of electricity plus enough gas for hot water only runs us about $150/month. I’ve used the a/c 6 days during the current billing period. Every day we use it adds about $3-4 to the bill since we pay $.31/kwh.

bae
6-28-22, 5:28pm
For us it’s our utilities that are Going through the roof. Even when we don’t use heat or a/c 300 kWh of electricity plus enough gas for hot water only runs us about $150/month. I’ve used the a/c 6 days during the current billing period. Every day we use it adds about $3-4 to the bill since we pay $.31/kwh.

Our electric rates are quite low here now still: $0.113/kWh, but there's also a "facilities charge" that you get hit with even if you use no power.

My last billing period I used 59kWh/day, the same year previous I used 59 kHW/day for that same month. My average cost/day that period was $4.57/day, last year's period was $3.06/day. This is including the offset they pay me for my significant number of shares of our community solar project, alas this year was much colder and more overcast than last year.

So, net impact is a ~50% increase.

Alan
6-28-22, 5:38pm
My diesel pickup with a 26 gallon tank holds about $160 of fuel at today's price. I last filled up on the 31st of May and still have just over 1/2 tank left.

Next week we're towing our camper a couple hundred miles away up in Amish country for a week, that should cost about $230 in fuel for the round trip, just about twice the expense of this time last year.

For the past several years we've been travelling south and west for anywhere from 6 to 8 weeks and spending just over $1000 on average per trip for fuel. If we did that this summer it would be more like $2500 in fuel. Haven't decided whether we'll do that or not this year.

Yppej
6-28-22, 7:03pm
I am watching home heating oil prices which are close to diesel prices. It has not dropped like gasoline prices have.

ToomuchStuff
6-28-22, 11:53pm
At the old place, I put about 12K miles a year on average. After the move, I bought a car because of the miles/rust on the truck and for better fuel economy. I figure last year, I put around 6K on the vehicles, total and about 1500 of that was on the truck.
This month was expensive as I used the truck for moving, so $90 on it (just shy of the highest for the month), and around $118 for the car. The truck was only used two days.

jp1
7-25-22, 8:56pm
The cheapest station by us is now down to $5.19 according to SO who stopped there on the way to work today. I filled up there Friday when they were still $5.35. The highest they got, maybe six weeks ago, was $5.89.

frugal-one
7-25-22, 9:26pm
Went to Costco today and it was $3.66/gal. First time I saw it cheaper elsewhere for $3.58/gal.

Yppej
7-26-22, 4:35am
My state legislature just passed a law that all new vehicles registered in the state must be electric by 2035.

The electric grid, which runs primarily on natural gas and other fossil fuels, won't be able to handle it. We'll have blackouts and brownouts.

Since 40% of electricity is lost over transmission lines people won't be able to afford it.

They should be looking at hydrogen fuel cells, off grid solar like Starflower, and micro grids with short transmission lines. I told my state rep. He thinks the answer to everything is offshore wind.

I predict the failure of his approach will be increasingly clear and the 2035 deadline will be pushed back as we approach that date.

I also predict ghost buyers in other states, then the registration of the no longer new car being transferred here for gas vehicles.

Tradd
7-26-22, 7:34am
$4.50 here in the NW Chicago suburbs yesterday. It’s at least $1 less when I’m up in WI diving.

ToomuchStuff
7-27-22, 10:12am
My state legislature just passed a law that all new vehicles registered in the state must be electric by 2035.

The electric grid, which runs primarily on natural gas and other fossil fuels, won't be able to handle it. We'll have blackouts and brownouts.

Since 40% of electricity is lost over transmission lines people won't be able to afford it.

They should be looking at hydrogen fuel cells, off grid solar like Starflower, and micro grids with short transmission lines. I told my state rep. He thinks the answer to everything is offshore wind.

I predict the failure of his approach will be increasingly clear and the 2035 deadline will be pushed back as we approach that date.

I also predict ghost buyers in other states, then the registration of the no longer new car being transferred here for gas vehicles.

Then there will be an issue of what is new?

If someone moves to the state, say with a 1971 beetle, to the state that is a new vehicle on its rolls.

rosarugosa
7-28-22, 6:24am
We just paid $4.09 per gallon.

Teacher Terry
7-28-22, 3:58pm
Ours went from 5.99 to 5.40.

littlebittybobby
7-30-22, 4:19pm
Then there will be an issue of what is new?

If someone moves to the state, say with a 1971 beetle, to the state that is a new vehicle on its rolls.Okay---That is simple. Just repower your Woggen with an electric motor. It's already been done. Hope that helps you some.46464647

iris lilies
7-30-22, 9:47pm
$4.04 today.

Rogar
7-31-22, 11:20am
$4.24 today here. I wonder what has changed since $5 gas? I predict someone will claim credit for reducing inflation once lower gas prices are reflected in the gov't inflation figures.

nswef
7-31-22, 12:00pm
3.99 including the 20 cents off for rewards. No big headines about gas prices going down...

jp1
8-1-22, 11:28am
Passed the cheap gas station again this morning. Dropped another $.24 since last week. $4.95.

Yppej
8-1-22, 12:42pm
Home heating oil prices have come down a little, but nowhere near enough for me to want to order some.

iris lilies
8-1-22, 9:17pm
Passed the cheap gas station again this morning. Dropped another $.24 since last week. $4.95.
We are $3.98 here in flyover country, in the city. It’s probably cheaper in outstate Missouri.

Alan
8-1-22, 9:28pm
Yesterday regular unleaded here was $4.29, diesel for my truck was $5.39

Klunick
8-2-22, 8:16am
Finally went under $4 in my area of Maryland. $3.99 but it does seem to be dropping every few days so I'm hoping it will go even further.

early morning
8-2-22, 12:24pm
$3.77 at the interstate exit closest to us this morning, here in west central Ohio. I paid 3.74 last week.

littlebittybobby
8-2-22, 2:42pm
Hmmm. Last time I bought gas, it was about $4, so I didn't get very much. One gallon was for the gas can to do Yard Work!

Klunick
8-3-22, 11:26am
Not sure why the mad rush yesterday but I literally had to go to four different gas stations to find an open pump. But it did save me an extra 2 cents per gallon. The other three were $3.99 but the fourth one that I ended up getting gas from was only $3.97.

Yppej
8-3-22, 6:23pm
$3.94 in the hood far from major highways and you often wait for a pump.

sweetana3
8-4-22, 4:40am
Gas here is around $3.70 at the lowest. News this morning said it had dropped for the last 50 days. Price is of course dependent on the location of the station in our city. The lowest price might be in a part of town I will not go, especially to a gas station with convenience store.

bae
8-4-22, 5:09pm
11 cents/kilowatt-hour here still :-)

catherine
8-6-22, 8:43am
11 cents/kilowatt-hour here still :-)

How does that translate to mpg? How does that compare to price of gas? My hybrid gets 50mpg, and I fill my car up once a month ($30) or sometimes twice. What are your costs per mile?

bae
8-6-22, 11:41am
How does that translate to mpg? How does that compare to price of gas? My hybrid gets 50mpg, and I fill my car up once a month ($30) or sometimes twice. What are your costs per mile?

My car is rated at 112MPGe for mixed driving. In practice, around here, I'm getting about 100 miles of range out of ~24kWh used, so that'd work out to ~138MPGe. To charge my battery, if I do it at home, costs $2.64. So, just "fuel" cost-per-mile is about $0.026/mile. Now, much of the time I do the bulk of my charging at a free recharging station, so the average is even lower.

The vehicle itself was purchased used, was quite inexpensive, and requires basically no maintenance, as there aren't many wear or service items. Avoiding a day-long expedition to the mainland for regular service saves a huge amount of time and money.

Just looking at gas vs electric fuel prices, because of the terrain here, it is hard to beat 18mpg even in a fuel-efficient vehicle like my Mini Cooper. Gas prices here are ~$5/gallon, so you're looking at ~28 cents/mile just for gas. About 10x the cost of the electric approach. Plus you also need to factor in service and maintenance costs.

littlebittybobby
8-6-22, 1:05pm
One of my upcoming projects is to rehaul an old Carter WCFB Carburetor, for my 58 Packard engine. Yup. I sat n watched a youtube video about a guy who rehauled a very similar engine, and had the luxury of breaking it in on an engine dyno, which measures the power output of the engine. He also had access to an air/fuel ratio test meter, and found the original metering orfices in the carburetor were too small for optimum power. Since they are removable, he changed them out to allow more fuel flow. Yup. The engine then had a significant increase in power output. So, yeah--I took note of the changes he made, and will replicate them in my Carby rehaul project. Yup. BTW, the city-owned electric utility here is entirely coal-fired. That's the major commodity that the RR line here transports. So, that's what your EV runs on, if you live around here. Unless, you have your very own hydroelectric dam in your backyard. But, the DNR would likely get after you, if you dammed a creek to do that. Or else , you'd need an acre of solar panels. Ha. It's always something, check! Yup. Self-driving EV's for consumer use are a pipe dream. Way over acclaimed. So are windmills. My theoretical equation is: Musk=Tucker. Ha. I certainly see some peripheral applications for such technology; but not in the fambly SUV to get out and DRIVE, just for something to do. Hope that helps you some. 46754675

happystuff
8-6-22, 4:35pm
Still over $4 a gallon here.

bae
8-6-22, 5:51pm
Yipes, I had to put a few gallons in my pickup truck today, $5.89/gallon.

beckyliz
8-11-22, 1:42pm
I had .40 off a gallon because of the fuel points from the grocery store, so paid $3.29 Sunday.

Tradd
8-11-22, 7:34pm
Down to $4.12 by work. Surprised it dropped so much while I was in MX.

sweetana3
8-12-22, 5:03am
Our news just reported a gas price of $3.47 at several gas stations. But it varies widely and is still over $4 in other parts of town.

happystuff
8-13-22, 8:00am
Was with one of the kids yesterday when they got gas and we are finally *just* under $4.

Yppej
8-13-22, 12:44pm
They ticked up over the past few days. Got some in NH while up there anyways, where it was a little cheaper.

Rogar
8-13-22, 2:50pm
I saw a sign over a truck stop along the interstate for $3.24. Might have been a come on of some sort. Common prices around town are $4.00, a little less or a little more.

Alan
8-13-22, 3:41pm
I was out and about earlier and saw regular unleaded at $3.89 and diesel at $4.74. It's still at about $1.25 more than it was last year, but I guess the decreased demand from the $5 and $6 highs had an effect.

Tradd
8-13-22, 6:35pm
$4.12 here by work yesterday.

beckyliz
8-16-22, 2:03pm
$3.59 here this morning.

Tradd
8-16-22, 2:30pm
Went from $4.08 yesterday overnight to $4.59 this morning. Unknown if there was any reason. Haven’t paid much attention to the news today.

Yppej
8-23-22, 8:53am
Saw home heating oil is up 20 cents per gallon from yesterday. Hope this is not the start of a long upward trend but just a blip.

Russia and China holding joint military exercises does not give me a good feeling.

Tradd
8-23-22, 10:36am
Finally $3.99 this morning. Yay!

Rogar
8-23-22, 12:09pm
It looked like the going rate around town today was $3.79.

Teacher Terry
8-24-22, 9:39pm
5.10 is the cheapest I could find.

herbgeek
8-25-22, 5:06am
3.97 yesterday at a non chain. The chains were averaging 4.29.

frugal-one
8-25-22, 5:59am
$3.38 yesterday at Costco

early morning
8-25-22, 11:32am
3.43 at the edge of town/interstate exit this morning (west/central Ohio)

Tradd
8-25-22, 1:41pm
I’ll be up in WI this weekend to dive and very curious to see what gas prices are there. They’ve been $1/gal less than the Chicago area for pretty much the entire year.

nswef
8-25-22, 3:25pm
$3.73 on Maryland's Eastern shore.

Rogar
8-25-22, 7:50pm
It looked to be down another dime or so today. I wonder if there is a bottom price where people are not in panic mode over the price of gas. I don't hear that much about it in my small social circle now.

ABC news said that California will be banning the sale of new gas powered autos starting 2035. They news proposed that it could signal the beginning of the end for gas vehicles. Maybe the demand will get so low that gas will be cheap again, a long time from now.

bae
8-25-22, 8:31pm
So is this drop in gas prices Biden's fault?

Alan
8-25-22, 9:08pm
So is this drop in gas prices Biden's fault?I think it's the simple economic principle that when supply exceeds demand, prices drop. When the price of something becomes excessive, demand will fall.

We put off our annual summer long roam around the country trip due to the exorbitant price of diesel (which is still just under $5 per gallon locally). I'm sure we're not the only ones who have cut down on our consumption.

Yppej
8-26-22, 5:00am
It looked to be down another dime or so today. I wonder if there is a bottom price where people are not in panic mode over the price of gas. I don't hear that much about it in my small social circle now.

ABC news said that California will be banning the sale of new gas powered autos starting 2035. They news proposed that it could signal the beginning of the end for gas vehicles. Maybe the demand will get so low that gas will be cheap again, a long time from now.

Home heating oil one year ago where I am - $2.85. Yesterday - $4.49.

Still seeing prices go up every week at the grocery store, a lot driven by the diesel to get the products there.

We are a long way from normal.

Rogar
8-26-22, 7:32am
Home heating oil one year ago where I am - $2.85. Yesterday - $4.49.

Still seeing prices go up every week at the grocery store, a lot driven by the diesel to get the products there.

We are a long way from normal.

I'm not exactly sure where normal lies. Comparing prices now to prices during a global pandemic when gas demand was low probably is not normal. There were several years back about ten years ago when gas was routinely in the $3 to $4 range. I don't see people dumping their big SUVs now like they were back then.

Yppej
8-26-22, 8:24am
I'm not exactly sure where normal lies. Comparing prices now to prices during a global pandemic when gas demand was low probably is not normal. There were several years back about ten years ago when gas was routinely in the $3 to $4 range. I don't see people dumping their big SUVs now like they were back then.

During the height of the pandemic gas dipped below $2.00 a gallon. $2.85 seems about normal to me.

Rogar
8-26-22, 9:36am
I think it's the simple economic principle that when supply exceeds demand, prices drop. When the price of something becomes excessive, demand will fall.

It seems like there was a time when conservative media blamed Biden for high gas prices because he restricted supply by not allowing the permitting of new developments. Now that prices are coming down I don't know what their story is, but can guess in their version the traffic doesn't flow both ways. I suspect people in the oil and gas industry are still enjoying healthy profits and glad they didn't invest new capital with a ROI based on $4+ gas.

Alan
8-26-22, 9:54am
It seems like there was a time when conservative media blamed Biden for high gas prices because he restricted supply by not allowing the permitting of new developments. Now that prices are coming down I don't know what their story is. I think it's still the same story. Restricting the ability to provide oil to the global market from US sources probably had a small impact on the global oil market, and creating an environment in the US which made it a bad business decision for refiners to maintain and invest in infrastructure to turn that oil into a usable product restricted supply.

If, at the end of the pandemic, demand surged then prices naturally rose in response to increasing demand for a finite product since refiners were already operating at, or near 100% capacity. I think the recent price drops simply reflect the decrease in demand brought on by record high prices.

Rogar
8-26-22, 11:01am
I suppose one could claim that the hikes in interest rates by Biden have made wallets tighter and reduced gas demand, therefore Biden gets credit for lower prices.

Honestly, I don't think politics is the big player either way and it's just politicians and media making power plays.

bae
8-26-22, 11:32am
I suppose one could claim that the hikes in interest rates by Biden have made wallets tighter and reduced gas demand, therefore Biden gets credit for lower prices.

Honestly, I don't think politics is the big player either way and it's just politicians and media making power plays.

Did Biden hike interest rates?

Rogar
8-26-22, 11:57am
Indirectly through his nomination of Jerome Powell and presidential influence over the Fed. Admittedly a dotted line but less dotted than Biden causing high gas prices. Like I might have said or tried to, I don't buy either version, but it's a blame/credit myth that works both ways. Political games.

jp1
8-29-22, 8:23pm

Indeed. Wasn’t there a point a couple of years ago during the pandemic when oil prices literally went to zero?

jp1
8-29-22, 8:25pm
$4.77 yesterday at the cheapy arco near us. Most places are still in the $5.29-$5.49 range.

Tradd
8-29-22, 8:33pm
$3.39 up in WI yesterday (Madison area). $3.89 to $4.11 in the further out NW Chicago burbs.

Alan
8-29-22, 9:11pm
Drove by my local station today and saw that prices had increased. Now regular unleaded is $4.29 and diesel is $5.24, both up nearly $1 from two weeks ago. I think people must be adjusting to the new normal and increasing demand.

ToomuchStuff
8-29-22, 10:23pm
Filled up yesterday and gas was $3.18 a gallon.

frugal-one
8-30-22, 7:12am
Supposed fire in refinery in IN will make prices jump.

happystuff
9-5-22, 4:36pm
Got gas today - 3.63

Klunick
9-7-22, 7:49am
$3.39 per gallon

frugal-one
9-7-22, 3:24pm
$3.27 at Costco.

frugal-one
11-22-22, 9:33pm
gas at Costco today…$2.66/gal

Tradd
11-23-22, 6:51am
$3.80 Chicago suburbs

nswef
11-23-22, 11:03am
$3.35 at our local store, $3.49 at Exxon

jp1
11-25-22, 9:15pm
SO paid $4.31 at the cheap arco station south of us the other day. Just a month ago I spent closer to $6 there the last time I bought gas. Since I will be going hiking tomorrow I may pick a trail down closer to the city so that I can fill up there.

early morning
11-26-22, 10:27am
$3.18 at a station I just happened to be passing last Wednesday, so I filled up. Small tank, and not empty, so not a LOT saved, lol. But still, it's hard to pass up cheap when it's something one continuously uses. Haven't passed a station since, so not sure what's happened in the last couple days.

Tradd
11-26-22, 7:56pm
Shocked to see $3.19 in southern WI today.

Rogar
11-27-22, 10:57am
I ran errands today and several stations were hovering around $3.00. Cheapest I've seen it in some time and down thirty cents or so from recent prices.

Teacher Terry
11-27-22, 10:33pm
5.79 here.

catherine
11-28-22, 9:19am
5.79 here.

Yikes.

$3.80 here.

Tybee
11-28-22, 9:57am
We paid 3.79 yesterday.

bae
11-30-22, 3:08pm
My partner reported $3.09 on the mainland this morning, Washington State.

frugal-one
11-30-22, 7:22pm
$2.49 at Costco in Pharr, TX.

iris lilies
11-30-22, 8:46pm
$2.49 at Costco in Pharr, TX.
Excellent news!

jp1
12-1-22, 12:32am
It's amazing how dramatically gas prices have fallen the past few weeks. It's almost as if Dark Brandon has used some remarkable skill he has. Or alternatively as if some evil force beyond his control was trying to keep gas prices high until the election and then gave up on that when they didn't succeed in forcing a periodic red wave upon the country.

iris lilies
12-1-22, 8:47am
It's amazing how dramatically gas prices have fallen the past few weeks. It's almost as if Dark Brandon has used some remarkable skill he has. Or alternatively as if some evil force beyond his control was trying to keep gas prices high until the election and then gave up on that when they didn't succeed in forcing a periodic red wave upon the country.
Oh honey, I wish the Republicans were as effective as you seem to think they are.

How could it be $5.79 in one state and $2.49 in another? Could we apply the Democratic/Republican dichotomy to those states? Isn’t that what we have to do for any question anymore?

beckyliz
12-1-22, 1:53pm
$2.99 several places here this week.

iris lilies
12-1-22, 6:52pm
$2.99 several places here this week.
Here, too.

bae
12-1-22, 7:57pm
Well, it's $2.22 here in London. A liter.

Alan
12-1-22, 8:54pm
Haven't paid much attention to gas prices lately since we've been on the road for the past 10 days, slowly meandering south in couple of hundred mile doses under diesel power. When we left Ohio diesel was $5.69 per gallon and has gotten progressively cheaper the further south we go. Averaging about $5.29 per gallon in Tennessee and today we scored a fill-up at $4.89 per gallon in Mississippi. Hoping that by the time we get to Texas in a few weeks it'll be down in the $3's, but maybe that's asking too much.

jp1
12-2-22, 1:36am
Oh honey, I wish the Republicans were as effective as you seem to think they are.

How could it be $5.79 in one state and $2.49 in another? Could we apply the Democratic/Republican dichotomy to those states? Isn’t that what we have to do for any question anymore?

We probably could look at each state and establish what the price should be. It won’t be the Republican/Democratic divergence that you mention but it WILL be based on what each state has been historically.

Personally I’m just curious that Fox ‘news’ was screeching like a hyena about gas prices a month ago and now they have shut their yaps.* And suddenly no one seems surprised that the gas price has fallen through the floor. All within a month after the election.

*to be fair they have been busy using their yaps to try and distance themselves from the head of their party’s nazi buddies Ye and Fuentes. so maybe they have lost focus on gas prices. Multitasking is tough.

frugal-one
12-2-22, 7:49am
Could it be how close to a refinery affecting the cost? Also different tax on gas in each state?

littlebittybobby
12-2-22, 11:54am
Okay---I have no clue what gas is per gallon, since I haven't bought any in several weeks. But yeah---I'm waiting for the price to come down so everyone can just get out and DRIVE! Just get out and FLY LOW, for no particular good reason! Yup. Hope that helps you kids some. Thankk mee.

Tradd
12-2-22, 12:55pm
Could it be how close to a refinery affecting the cost? Also different tax on gas in each state?

In Cook County (Chicago), there is a county tax on top of fed and state tax.

IL gas tax going back up 1/1. It was rolled back earlier this year.

bae
12-2-22, 1:39pm

The $3.09 my partner reported on the mainland 11/30, Washington State was within a 5 minute drive of the refinery in Anacortes that the gasoline came from. Taxes were different from the rest of the state, as the gas station is on First Nations land and subject to their taxation system, which optimizes for harvesting dollars from passerby.

jp1
12-7-22, 9:14pm
SO paid $4.31 at the cheap arco station south of us the other day. Just a month ago I spent closer to $6 there the last time I bought gas. Since I will be going hiking tomorrow I may pick a trail down closer to the city so that I can fill up there.

Heard on the radio today that oil is the cheapest it's been since January. Just checked on gas buddy and the station where SO paid $4.31 sometime just before 11/25 when I posted the above, is now down to $3.79. I didn't get around to buying gas after that post and now I actually really need gas so maybe this weekend I'll get down there and fill up.

frugal-one
12-8-22, 5:07am
Paid $2.51/gal at regular gas station. Not traveling close to the nearest Costco but saw they had it for $2.43/gal.

Rogar
12-8-22, 8:06am
$2.89 was the common price when I was out yesterday.

happystuff
12-8-22, 1:21pm
Paid $3.29 today.

Tradd
12-8-22, 1:27pm
Down to about $3.25 here in the Chicago burbs.

beckyliz
12-8-22, 2:20pm
In the $2.60s - 2.70s here.

frugal-one
12-9-22, 3:04am
$2.31/gal

mschrisgo2
12-13-22, 8:14pm
$3.65 at Costco in Northern California today! (The high at Costco was $6.05.)

Tradd
12-13-22, 8:24pm
$3.13 today in the far NW Chicago burbs.

Klunick
12-17-22, 9:02am
$3.07/ gallon

Alan
12-25-22, 1:56pm
Haven't paid much attention to gas prices lately since we've been on the road for the past 10 days, slowly meandering south in couple of hundred mile doses under diesel power. When we left Ohio diesel was $5.69 per gallon and has gotten progressively cheaper the further south we go. Averaging about $5.29 per gallon in Tennessee and today we scored a fill-up at $4.89 per gallon in Mississippi. Hoping that by the time we get to Texas in a few weeks it'll be down in the $3's, but maybe that's asking too much.
We travelled from Somerville Tx to Corpus Christi a few days ago. With apologies to ZZ Top, the price of diesel was down, in that Texas Town, at a pump outside LaGrange (you know what I'm talking about) Just let me know, if you wanna go, the price was $3.89 all day (they gotta lotta really nice pumps down there).

littlebittybobby
12-25-22, 5:46pm
Okay----I know you kids love to get out there and DRIVE, just DRIVE and Drive and Drive, to places that have little relevance to your own life. It's just getting out there, and burning fuel and wearing out vehicles, for something to DO. Then--trade 'er in, and get screwed again. Yup. But, did it ever make you wonder---why you are doing this? I, on the other hand, do NOT like wasting money on motor fuel, just to pile up miles, driving across nowhere. See? It is just consumption---overconsumption---for consumptions' sake. See? If each of you will sent me proof that you have disposed of your fuel-guzzlers, and taken a vow to stay in your lovely, lovely dream homes when you are not working, then I'll send you a rubiks' cube to occupy your leisure time. Yup. Hope thatt helpps you some. Thankk Mee. (See photo of awesome & amazing place to drive to, that has no relevance to your actual life.)50295029

happystuff
12-26-22, 9:18am
$3.07 on Christmas eve

Tradd
12-26-22, 9:24am
In rural north central FL, gas prices were anywhere from $3-3.15 while I was there last week. Coming home this weekend, I drove though AL, western TN/KY, and almost the entire length of IL. Prices were anywhere from $2.50 to $3.15.

littlebittybobby
12-26-22, 1:31pm
Okay----I know summa you kidsd have an intense desire to get out there and DRIVE, and summa you might also want to see some geological features, such as mountains and other rock formations. Welll-I won't encourage you to drive about 200 miles or more north of Fairbanks on the 400-mile long Dalton Highway, but there IS this VERY interesting mountain next to the route. Yup. Don't say it's all my fault when you find that there are VERY few gas statiobns en route, and that fuel is a little pricy, due to the remoteness and lack of competition among sellers. Yup. But yeah---here's a photo. Thankk mee.5044

littlebittybobby
12-26-22, 1:40pm
Okay----Here's another shot o' hi-way 11, in the middle-o-nowhere, Alaska. Do you see any gas stations? Ha. But, that's what it's like. Yup.If you were there, right there, and had a bad case of outta gas, you'd pay a leeetle bit more per gallon, now wouldn't ya? And not mind it a bit. Nope.5045