PDA

View Full Version : Homemade Rice Wrappers

Amaranth
6-21-11, 8:44pm
Making homemade rice wrappers is something I would like to learn to do. Would welcome advice on proportions of rice flour, water, and salt, how to roll them out, and how to keep them from sticking to things.

peggy
6-22-11, 10:12am
Is this like a tortilla but made from rice? Sounds interesting. As far as sticking, use parchment paper. Nothing sticks to it. Even better, and recycling, that inner heavy plastic bag inside cereal boxes is the best stuff! Just open it at the seems and it will lay flat. Not only does nothing stick to it, it is heavy and can be wiped off and used again. I use it for art too cause nothing, not glue, not paint, nothing sticks to it.

Amaranth
6-22-11, 12:15pm
Thanks for the tip of the parchment and the cereal box bags.

The rice wrapper is like a rice flour tortilla. There are two basic kinds. One is about the thickness of a tortilla. The other(which is what I am wanting to make) is thin enough that when it is filled you can see the colors of the vegetables on the inside.

To use the rice wrappers, the wrapper is dampened on one side which becomes the outside. Then leaves of lettuce are laid on the inside. Then vegetables are laid on the lettuce similarly to the way you would do a vegetarian sushi roll. The wrapper is rolled up sort of like a burrito/springroll/eggroll and then cut in half. The cut edge is attractive like a sushi roll but more jewel toned because the rice isn't on the inside to dilute the colors. The cut edge may be dipped in a flavored sauce before eating.

Rosemary
6-22-11, 6:33pm
Those rice wrappers are made from white rice flour, tapioca flour, salt, and water. I don't know how to make them - I buy them at an Asian market. A package costs about $3 and has about 30 wrappers in it, which lasts for several meals for our 3-person family. They are sold in dry form and you rehydrate them in hot water (I've not seen ones that are fresh, which you seem to be referring to). If I were to try making them, I guess I'd try something like 2 parts rice flour: 1 part tapioca flour, and then add water slowly until it holds together in a mass, similar to making corn tortillas with masa.

iris lily
6-23-11, 12:43am
I love to make spring rolls, but have no desire to make my own wraps. The $3 for a package is money well spent. I had a hard enough time trying to learn how to re-hydrate dried ones.

Rosemary
6-23-11, 6:35am
I'm with you on this, Iris Lily! They are also so thin that rolling them would be extremely difficult.

Brian
6-24-11, 3:02pm
I was running through thoughts on seeing raw ones made as one would make handmade paper sheets, screens dipped in soaked ground rice "soup" solution but recall person was accomplished and knew it would be an "art" to learn... then thoughts wandered that cooking rice flour with tapioca would make one heck of a glue ball, so pressing a measured amount in a tortilla press ought to work to make thin ones, but as to how different a taste/texture than bought ones not sure, plus maybe tricky as to how long to cook before paperweight?
That beget last thought... to buy them as finicky enough bought, as to tearing them, but not like me to give up. Good luck with you experiments. B