PDA

View Full Version : Are you changing travel plans .....

gimmethesimplelife
5-30-22, 10:43am
due to the increased costs of travel?

I have cut travel plans back personally. Good thing I find the Borderland fascinating and that Mexico means so much to me. I have eight days of PTO banked and have looked at the costs of long haul international travel.....not happening.

Part of this in my case too is due to Portland warming to 116F last Summer. That was a wake up call for me. Rob

Yppej
5-30-22, 10:49am
Not due to cost. I already set myself a green challenge to vacation closer to home each year. The one exception I foresaw would be to visit family in Michigan but one of them keeps haranguing me with his covidianism so I am no longer interested.

I am crossing local attractions off the list if they require masks. I still have 22 places on my list, many hiking sites, and I also have some chores to take care of like furnace cleaning and repair. My vacation days will not go to waste.

ETA wherever you go, there you are, and I can bloom where I'm planted.

catherine
5-30-22, 10:59am
DH and I are not earnest travelers, frankly. COVID or not, we just are content to stay close to home. I have more wanderlust than he does, but I'm also not itching to leave home.

We have some vague "someday" plans about traveling to Ireland and Scotland. We've done Scotland, but I'm 3/4s Irish and I know what county in Ireland my ancestors are from, so I'd like to go there, using my bank of frequent flier miles. I'd hate to waste them (of course I could always donate them, but I do have enough wanderlust to want to use them for my own travel)

That being said, I admire Jeppy's commitment to minimizing travel for environmental reasons. I am very close to only doing work projects that require no travel for the same environmental reason. That would also be a way to start phasing into less work and ultimately retirement. I haven't traveled in two years, and I don't miss it that much.

happystuff
5-30-22, 11:45am
While mostly local, I'm doing more long weekends and such with the main purpose being to get together with friends and family (i.e. my recent camping trip). I also have a "vacation" planned in a couple months to visit a friend at the shore which would be 9-11 hours of driving, should I choose that mode of transportation. I'm just starting to look into alternatives.

All of the above is to basically say yes, I have more plans to travel now than I have had in the last several years but only because I HAVEN'T traveled in the last several years. LOL.

Simplemind
5-30-22, 5:19pm
We will be sticking with camping like we have the last couple of years. Already have several trips planned. I really miss the long-distance travel and hope to get back to it one day when the pandemic and all its challenges are further behind us.

rosarugosa
5-30-22, 5:48pm
We have a trip to a lakeside inn in Maine planned for late summer.

bae
5-30-22, 5:52pm
I'm going to sneak up to BC and the Yukon for a month or so this summer if all goes well. Should be fairly inexpensive.

Teacher Terry
5-30-22, 8:22pm
I am going to Ireland for 11 days in June. I am taking a tour with a friend and everything is included for 4600. I am Irish and looking forward to seeing where my relatives came from. It’s my first vacation in 3 years.

catherine
5-30-22, 8:48pm
I am going to Ireland for 11 days in June. I am taking a tour with a friend and everything is included for 4600. I am Irish and looking forward to seeing where my relatives came from. It’s my first vacation in 3 years.

Where did your relatives come from, Terry? Mine came from Central Ireland--Leitrim, Sligo, Connacht.

iris lilies
5-30-22, 9:26pm
No. I ran up to Chicago to judge an Iris show yesterday and had to fill my tank twice, giving the state of Illinois the money. That was painful.

ToomuchStuff
5-30-22, 9:41pm
What is travel?
Went through a tank of gas, moving stuff from one house to the other.

frugal-one
5-31-22, 6:00am

Wow… prices have risen!

Tybee
5-31-22, 8:42am
That sounds awesome, Terry. I have always wanted to visit Ireland. Now that Ancestry has changed me to being 37% Scottish instead of 20% Irish, I guess I should go there, haha, to visit the old country.

Teacher Terry
5-31-22, 6:11pm
Catherine, they came from Cork and Galway. Frugal, since that price includes airfare, nice hotels, meals and tours I didn’t think the price was bad.

ApatheticNoMore
6-1-22, 12:07am
There are complications in terms of road trips etc., life sometimes just seems one big complication, but bf won't go on freeways, so even going to see something maybe 12-13 miles away, that I would not think much of on the freeway except in weekday commute hours (and even then it's merely annoying), becomes, do I really want to all that much? And often no, even less so if hypermiling etc. is involved, which seems to mean going really slow much of the time.

Tradd
6-1-22, 10:09pm
Nope. I’m actually flying to Playa del Carmen, MX in early August for my full cave class in the cenotes. Not happy but I needed to get full cave done and there are reasons non-divers wouldn’t much understand.

I’m still driving as much as always to dive.