PDA

View Full Version : Do you grow any of your own food?

gimmethesimplelife
7-11-22, 1:07am
I do the best I can on an urban lot. I've got oranges, limes, lemon, figs, and Armenian Cucumber at the moment. The figs are producing very well this year. How about you?

Rob

miteigenenhaenden
7-11-22, 2:52am
I'll write down whatever comes to my mind. I don't know if I can get everything together now.
I hope I can translate the plant names all in English. The translator has to help me with this.

berrys

mayberries
red, white and black currants
red and green gooseberries
siberian blueberries
raspberries
blackberries
chokeberries
strawberries

fruits

apricots
peaches
sweet cherries
sour cherries
apples
quinces
pears
plums
rhubarb (well, it's not really a fruit)

wild fruits

cornel cherries
elder
sloes
hazelnuts
walnuts (nearby)

vegetables

peas
beans
radish
chard
kale
corn
tomatoes
leek
carrots
parsnips
beetroot
salsify
zucchini
potatoes
celery
cauliflower
Chinese cabbage

herbs and condiments

onions
garlic
dost (wild marjoram)
sage
dill
thyme
rosemary
chives
parsely
caraway seeds
Trigonella caerulea
coriander
basil
borage
wild garlic
mint
curry herb
hyssop
horseradish
savory
Aegopodium podagraria (nearby)
nettles (nearby)
nettles (nearby)

for drinks

mint
lemon balm

seasonal salads

lettuce
cut lettuce
stick butter

medicinal plants

sage
thyme
feverfew
comfrey
marigold
lavender
Althaea officinalis
wild hop (nearby)

Yppej
7-11-22, 5:47am
Only herbs, as chipmunks eat the rest.

Chives
Oregano
Sage
Thyme
Tarragon
Basil
Parsley

I also have wild strawberries and mints.

The blueberry bush hasn't produced a single berry, probably due to the drought. It's never done much and I think I will dig it up.

herbgeek
7-11-22, 6:02am
That's an impressive list Miteigenhaenden!

I don't have a whole lot of sunny area to plant, so I focus my planting on those things that are hard to find/expensive or things where freshness is critical. So I don't grow winter squashes- they also take a lot of room, or brassicas. I do grow tomatoes and green beans and the herbs I use in cooking, plus a few medicinals and lots of salad greens.

pinkytoe
7-11-22, 9:45am
I am growing tomatoes (two kinds), cukes, squash and peppers. Some herbs - basil, lemon balm, dill, chamomile, thyme, sage and rosemary. Peaches, raspberries and currants. Mint and feverfew pop up everywhere. Weather continues to be a challenge.

Chicken lady
7-11-22, 12:03pm
When I grow up I want to be Miteigenhaenden.

this year:

Eggs and milk.
basil
beans - green, yellow, purple, soy and two kinds of dried
beets - yellow and red for roots and tops
blackberries
one blueberry bush - the birds get most
camomile
cantelope
cherries
carrots
cucumbers
dill
elderberry
endive
garlic
ground cherries
Kale
kohlrabi
lavender
leeks
lettuce
Mint
onions
oregano
parsnips
peas - snow and sugar snap
peppers
potatoes - blue, red, white, and sweet
pumpkins
radishes
raspberries - black and red
rutabaga
Squash - summer and winter
thyme
Tomatoes
turnips

the strawberries rotted

Rogar
7-11-22, 1:45pm
I plant an assortment of spring greens and then much of the usual summer vegetables. I do different things every year and always have an new experiment going. This year I have three varieties of eggplant, four or five of peppers, summer squash, and a few different varieties of tomato. The experiment is scarlet runner beans. I don't know if they will produce, but right now they are covered with red blossoms that to attract bees and hummingbirds. I have a 4'X4' raised bed and follow the basic ideas behind the old book on square foot gardening. The spring greens do well there and I can rotate in a few summer vegetable starts when they are done. And then a traditional garden that is maybe 10'x15'. Considering our short growing season, I'm always impressed at how much I can grow in such little space. I keep thinking I will plant some cool weather fall producing vegetables but am usually a little burned out with yard and garden duties by then.

Simplemind
7-11-22, 3:27pm
This year I have

Cherries
Apples
Pears
Blueberries
Raspberries
Blackberries

Cabbage
Brussel sprouts
Cauliflower
Sweet onions
garlic

Sugar snap peas
Bush beans
Green, orange, yellow, purple, red sweet peppers
Thai peppers
Cucumbers
Zucchini
Tomatoes, about five varieties
Lettuce
Spinach
Arugala
Beets
Carrots

and...
Deer :laff:

miteigenenhaenden
7-11-22, 4:26pm
When I grow up I want to be Miteigenhaenden.
​Are you sure? ��

this year:

Eggs and milk.
basil
beans - green, yellow, purple, soy and two kinds of dried
beets - yellow and red for roots and tops
blackberries
one blueberry bush - the birds get most
camomile
cantelope
cherries
carrots
cucumbers
dill
elderberry
endive
garlic
ground cherries
Kale
kohlrabi
lavender
leeks
lettuce
Mint
onions
oregano
parsnips
peas - snow and sugar snap
peppers
potatoes - blue, red, white, and sweet
pumpkins
radishes
raspberries - black and red
rutabaga
Squash - summer and winter
thyme
Tomatoes
turnips

the strawberries rotted

A considerable list. Great!

Chicken lady
7-11-22, 5:13pm
Simplemind, will you eat the deer?

bae
7-11-22, 5:49pm
Deck garden: herbs, tomatoes, scallions, kale, strawberries, blueberries, peppers, eggplant, potatoes, sunflowers

Ocean garden: lots of pears, asparagus, tomatoes, lettuces, squash, peppers, beans, horseradish, eggs, and whatever else my Mom started in the greenhouse

Vineyard: Siegerrebe, Madeleine Angevine, a bit of Pinot, pears

Foraged: seaweed/kelp, oysters, clams, mussels, salmon, cod, halibut, crabs, prawns, shrimp, venison

Contracted out to be raised by local 4H kids and farmers: lambs, pig, cow, goats, chickens

https://i.imgur.com/7WNKTdC.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/ee4qEWp.jpg

pinkytoe
7-11-22, 8:16pm
Lovely, Bae.

iris lilies
7-11-22, 8:51pm
Raised beds made from stone. Love that! We could do that here, here on Stone Hill Highway.

we also have a tny vinyard, just getting started. All 12 of our Norton vines died a coupla years ago and they were not cheap! I read that they are tricky to get established, but was established they need pruning all the time they go crazy. So, we have three kinds of vines, two reds and a white. I don’t know the names of them.

bae
7-11-22, 9:17pm
Raised beds made from stone. Love that! We could do that here, here on Stone Hill Highway.

They work very nicely here, and seem to gather enough heat to extend the growing season a bit. I am now a fan.

catherine
7-11-22, 9:47pm
Gorgeous garden, bae!

we do tomatoes (lots of them), cucumbers, zucchini, Swiss chard, peppers, lettuce.

Herb garden: rosemary, lavender, chives parsley (Curley and flat), cilantro, sage, oregano, basil, Thai basil, mint

Apples, montmorency cherries, pears (if we're lucky and they bear fruit), strawberries.

Marijuana.

My neighbors give us free rein of their garden and we give them free rein of ours. They grow Swiss chard, carrots, beets/beet greens, blueberries, marijuana.

Simplemind
7-12-22, 6:52pm
Chicken lady, I would if he was legal........ he is using me for a salad bar.

happystuff
7-12-22, 7:01pm
Tonight's salad had lettuce, radishes and a few small tomatoes from the garden boxes/containers. Peas are ready to be picked as well.

Yppej
7-12-22, 8:28pm
It's so dry some critter is eating jagged bites of my previously spurned basil and the tarragon is all gone too. I may have to grow herbs indoors next year.

jp1
7-12-22, 8:42pm
We’re amateurs compared to the rest of you. Right now we’ve got corn, jalapeño peppers and basil growing.

The pepper plant was unplanned. We planted it last summer and got maybe a dozen peppers and in the fall left a couple of peppers on it too long so I just let them decompose in the soil. Apparently a seed from that germinated this spring because a new plant spontaneously started.

iris lilies
7-13-22, 8:13am
We’re amateurs compared to the rest of you. Right now we’ve got corn, jalapeño peppers and basil growing.

The pepper plant was unplanned. We planted it last summer and got maybe a dozen peppers and in the fall left a couple of peppers on it too long so I just let them decompose in the soil. Apparently a seed from that germinated this spring because a new plant spontaneously started.

You are growing sweet corn??!!! That needs a lot of room. DH played around with it in the city, but critters got all of it.

iris lilies
7-13-22, 8:14am
Chicken lady, I would if he was legal........ he is using me for a salad bar.

I hate them so much!

miteigenenhaenden
7-13-22, 10:45am
We have a lot of deer and wild boar. Our garden is open to the large field, but we have never had a problem with the large animals here.
There are also rabbits in the area, but not in the garden.
We have big problems with snails. Especially in spring when everything is still wet and green. Now in summer they leave the plants alone.

Chicken lady
7-13-22, 11:45am
Simpleminded, where I live that photo and a receipt showing you signed up for a market stand or sold somebody (anybody - your sister, it’s a technicality) some vegetables would get you a permit to shoot him. Out of season.

actually, where I live if you just shot him and didn’t tell anybody it would be fine….the coyotes and vultures would eat the evidence and no one would pay any attention to the gunshot.

Teacher Terry
7-13-22, 2:44pm
When I was young, living in upstate New York and married to my second husband we had a acre right in town and he had a huge garden. Lots of delicious sweet corn. He also hunted deer and wild turkeys in season and we had a wood stove to supplement our heat. Now I am such a softie that I let the squirrels eat the entire garden when I was married to husband 3 because I couldn’t stand to kill a animal. You can’t relocate squirrels because they are so territorial that they will die at horrible death by the other squirrels so it’s illegal here. Now of course I live in a condo so don’t grow anything but 2 plants. Some people grow tomatoes on there’s.

pinkytoe
7-13-22, 3:06pm
We just discovered we have a resident skunk. I figured it was a neighbor's stinky marijuana but saw it last night coming out from under the shed. Perhaps it will eat any grubs in the yard since it is digging holes everywhere. There is always some critter to co-exist with when you garden.

jp1
7-14-22, 8:39pm
You are growing sweet corn??!!! That needs a lot of room. DH played around with it in the city, but critters got all of it.

Yes. I don’t see how this is going to work. It’s taking up half of a box that is about 1 foot wide by 1 foot deep by 3 feet long. Six stalks of it. They are about 3 feet tall currently. I struggle to imagine how this is going to work when they are as high as an elephant’s eye… But I was not consulted before SO embarked on this endeavor so I won’t be upset if it fails. But will be pleased if it succeeds. A win/win!

jp1
7-14-22, 8:48pm
Thinking about critters, when I was a teenager my mother thought it would be fun to grow sunflowers.* They grew spectacularly but the squirrels thought that it was for them. She spent a lot of time and effort trying to keep them away but they ate like 2/3 of the seeds.

*random aside. Mom was from Kansas, the sunflower state. Up through high school I regularly went to visit my favorite aunt in mom’s hometown. One time she mentioned that Mt Sunflower, the highest point in the state, was just one county away. Having recently been to pikes peak, the highest point in my home state, I asked if we could go there. So we went. To say it was not as impressive as pikes peak would be a bit of an understatement. 😆. But we stopped for chocolate shakes on the way home, which was awesome.