PDA

View Full Version : Vancouver Island or Utah (camping)?

Paige
6-23-11, 2:57am
We are thinking of a vacation trip--not planned out well yet-- to either Vancouver Island or Utah in July. We are campers, canoers, kayakers, and hikers and plan to throw in a couple of motels. My dh and I are 50ish and are trying to make a decision. Would you do the Parks in Utah or Vancouver Island? Has anyone been to any of these places? Thanks!

Mrs-M
6-23-11, 8:10am
Come to Canada! Come to Canada! :) We've visited the Island (not as adventurers) and it affords those who are ambitious and adventurous endless possibilities of enjoyment and escape. I think it would be an exceptional choice for you and your husband and a superb opportunity to experience our beautiful country!

madgeylou
6-23-11, 8:25am
i've never been to vancouver island, hear it is beautiful and a bit wet most of the year?

we spent some time at arches national park a few years ago and i was BLOWN AWAY by the scenery. i can't wait to go back and explore more of the parks. arches and the land around it was breathtaking. the campsites in the park seem to always be sold out, but there's a stretch of dirt cheap bureau of land management sites along the colorado river just a few miles away. ours was beautiful and $8 a night! pretty primitive (you go in a hole in the ground), but i didn't mind it for a few nights.

Alan
6-23-11, 9:26am
Can't speak for Vancouver Island, but we did spend several weeks in Utah last year. Although we don't camp as much as simply move our home (RV) from one spot to another. The area around Moab Utah is nothing short of spectacular.

With easy access to Arches NP, Canyonlands NP, and Dead Horse State Park in it's immediate vicinity and being only a day trip away from Zion and Bryce Canyon NP's, I think it's a wonderful vacation area.

We spent time at each and then moved on to the North Rim of the Grand Canyon and then over to Mesa Verde Colorado before returning home. It was our best in-country vacation ever.

libby
6-23-11, 9:58am
I vote for Vancouver Island! There are literally countless places you could camp.

San Onofre Guy
6-24-11, 12:01pm
Go to Vancouver Island as Utah is way too hot. I visited Vancouver Island in 1991 and spent two nights on the West Coast trail entering from the south. That is one amazing trail on a wild coast. I know that in the past 20 years some great coffee houses, breweries, and bed and breakfast farms with gourmet restaraunts have been developed. Someone who loves the outdoors as well as great food could have a wonderful week there. Also having a gin and tonic at the marina in Victoria sounds wonderful!

Paige
6-26-11, 12:35am
Whoa! Thanks for your enthusiasm everyone. I am still torn though, so my next step is to check the weather report for both. Thanks for advice on camping, etc. It helps!