PDA

View Full Version : National Bison Day 11/5/22

dado potato
11-5-22, 6:47pm
Estimated half a million bison in North America.

"You can't roller skate in a herd"... But why would you want to?

bae
11-5-22, 7:38pm
We had a fellow start a bison ranch here a few years ago.

He didn't read all of the fine print of his Bison Ranch Starter Kit - bison can jump a higher fence than a cow can. And so The Great Roundup began.

We found a really cool, much older, bison in a bog here as well, and the anthropologists have been very excited about it:

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/222574581_Late_Pleistocene_butchered_Bison_antiquu s_from_Ayer_Pond_Orcas_Island_Pacific_Northwest_Ag e_confirmation_and_taphonomy

beckyliz
11-18-22, 3:03pm
That is Kansas' state animal (mammal?). Not sure if it's a Bison or a Buffalo. State song says "where the buffalo roam." They are magnificent.

dado potato
11-25-22, 7:23pm
Ordinarily I admire bison from afar. One day I had a flat tire in the Riding Mountain National Park in Canada. There was no alternative but to change to my spare tire. I was well and truly among a herd of bison. I thought I should be wary of the cow and calf nearest me.

I recall a prickly sweat, as I did my thing, and THEY did theirs. All was well. We drove in to Wasagaming, and I spent a small fortune for a new tire.