PDA

View Full Version : sporadic store closings

pinkytoe
12-9-22, 3:56pm
Quite a few stores in our area are now open when and if they can due to decreased staff or ongoing theft issues. Since it is a pretty day, after lunch I walked a mile to the local Dollar Store a mile away only to find a sign on the door stating they would be randomly closed due to staffing issues. Lots of frustrated shoppers similarly irritated outside. Yesterday, I tried to get some photos developed at Walgreen's - ditto. Nextdoor says this is going on all over the city. The Covid weirdness continues...is this just a big city thing I wonder??

sweetana3
12-9-22, 4:05pm
Nope. All over. Various discussions being held. One young man, with a "minor" criminal background, asked where he might find a job and got over 50 responses on Nextdoor from a wide variety of locations looking for hires. Our school districts are having huge issues with everyone from bus drivers to teachers.

I wonder when companies and government trying to hire will make the process easier on both sides and take a close look at their job requirements.

iris lilies
12-9-22, 4:07pm
Quite a few stores in our area are now open when and if they can due to decreased staff or ongoing theft issues. Since it is a pretty day, after lunch I walked a mile to the local Dollar Store a mile away only to find a sign on the door stating they would be randomly closed due to staffing issues. Lots of frustrated shoppers similarly irritated outside. Yesterday, I tried to get some photos developed at Walgreen's - ditto. Nextdoor says this is going on all over the city. The Covid weirdness continues...is this just a big city thing I wonder??

every business has help wanted signs in windows.

anyone who says they cannot get a job is a liar. We can put a positive chit in President Biden’s column for a super strong job market during his Presidency.

Rogar
12-9-22, 4:23pm
I had a minor transaction at the bank yesterday. They had a big "now hiring" sign. Starting at $20/hr. and up. I'm normally in and out in 10 minutes or so for a similar things. There did not seem to be much staff around and not many customers. I had a half hour wait and another half hour working with a new employee. I speculated short staffing. Bank jobs seem like they would be pretty cush for $20./hr. Maybe benefits and advancement chances. Bankers hours.

pinkytoe
12-9-22, 4:49pm
So how are all these missing employees paying their bills I wonder??

ApatheticNoMore
12-9-22, 5:21pm
Bank jobs seem like they would be pretty cush for $20./hr. Maybe benefits and advancement chances. Bankers hours.

in some ways, of course they also regularly get robbed, which is not everyone's definition of cushy.

sweetana3
12-9-22, 8:14pm
In our city, it is the various dollar stores that are robbed on a consistent basis. They basically have no security, few employees and deal in more cash. They are dangerous places to work just like convenience/gas stations. Heck, in some parts it is dangerous to just stop and get gas.

Tradd
12-9-22, 8:28pm
I have not come across any of these sporadic closings, but I do see signs of slightly reduced hours.

rosarugosa
12-10-22, 5:52am
I have not seen this in our area. The closest thing I've seen is a trend with restaurants having reduced days/hours.

iris lilies
12-10-22, 10:09am
I have not seen this in our area. The closest thing I've seen is a trend with restaurants having reduced days/hours.
Yes, that too. And reduced services.
I still don’t know whenever I go to McDonald’s if the inside store will be open. They always run their drive up service tho.

Some months ago I stayed at a hotel that was grossly understaffed in the restaurant. Probably grossly understaffed elsewhere. They were using as staff in a couple of places young people who are obviously on the spectrum. I thought that was great because these kids might not have gotten a job otherwise, and they were doing an excellent job.

LDAHL
12-10-22, 10:43am
In our little city, we have trouble hanging onto qualified medical people.

Tradd
12-10-22, 9:10pm
Yes, that too. And reduced services.
I still don’t know whenever I go to McDonald’s if the inside store will be open. They always run their drive up service tho.

Some months ago I stayed at a hotel that was grossly understaffed in the restaurant. Probably grossly understaffed elsewhere. They were using as staff in a couple of places young people who are obviously on the spectrum. I thought that was great because these kids might not have gotten a job otherwise, and they were doing an excellent job.

Why would you want to go IN a McD’s? That’s why they’re there - the drive thru!

iris lilies
12-10-22, 9:37pm
Why would you want to go IN a McD’s? That’s why they’re there - the drive thru!
I don’t like drive-through. Sitting in a line in your car, nope not for me.

rosarugosa
12-11-22, 6:09am
Why go to McDonald's at all? I haven't been to one in decades.

Tradd
12-11-22, 8:54am

Coffee

iris lilies
12-11-22, 9:42am
I wish I did not like their french fries.

Also, when on road trips, using their bathrooms and wifi is a good stop over.

Tradd
12-11-22, 1:48pm
And they have the best fountain Coke.

Teacher Terry
12-11-22, 3:02pm
Our fast food restaurants often now only have the drive through open. Haven’t encountered problems at stores though.

ToomuchStuff
12-11-22, 9:16pm
Local CVS still has reduced hours and they have been having issues with having a pharmacist. (have a pharmacist do different stores, different days)
Restaurants with shorter hours or drive throughs only, Still lots of help wanted signs, and a lot of those working, wanting more pay for a lot less work.
We are still on Covid hours (reduced) and busy enough that we are running out of product, some days before the time of close.

KayLR
12-11-22, 10:37pm
Here there is a shortage of medical personnel, paraeducators, schoolbus and metro bus drivers. And there are We're Hiring signs at nearly every store you walk into.

We were notified a few weeks ago that our daily newspaper was going to have to be mailed to us (gets to us next day) as they do not have enough carriers in our area. Now that's a pain. My routine!!! At least I can go online and read it for free with my subscription. But it's not the same--- my hubs and I don't know what to do with our hands and laps in the morning while drinking coffee.

pinkytoe
12-12-22, 10:40am
I read that another issue is farm worker shortages. People here don't want to do those jobs and with the immigrant hatred spewing it will soon reach a point where we are importing more food than growing here.

Yppej
12-12-22, 2:20pm
I have heard it happening with restaurants in my area, but I rarely go out to eat (maybe 2 or 3 times a year) and it does not affect me.

The schools and hospitals that fired unvaccinated people are short staffed but refuse to admit they were wrong and hire these people back, even as they now hire other unvaccinated people.

jp1
12-12-22, 9:06pm
I don’t go shopping enough to notice closings at home but it was noticeable at the airports today coming to Chicago for work. Before covid and the great inflation it was unheard of that restaurants or shops in airports would be closed but both sfo and ohare had a fair number that were.

JaneV2.0
12-12-22, 9:12pm
I read that another issue is farm worker shortages. People here don't want to do those jobs and with the immigrant hatred spewing it will soon reach a point where we are importing more food than growing here.

The immigrant hatred spewing will affect the restaurant industry, construction, landscaping industry, and meat processing plants also.

mschrisgo2
12-13-22, 7:59pm
Consistent days/hours are crucial for the success of restaurants. We’re seeing sporadic closures here in Northern California too.
It’s really obvious which locally owned and operated restaurants want to be in business. They adjusted and stayed open with take out during the pandemic and have continued to adjust. For instance, our local mom&pop Chinese restaurant is doing extremely well- take out only, phone or drop in orders, open Tues-Sunday, 3-8. She told me they are bringing in more money than ever before, with considerably less expenses - no other employees to pay, don’t have to heat/cool the dining room, or clean it, or wash dishes- only the big pots to wash at the end of the night. They are now home before 9 every night. Their biggest challenge lately is sourcing vegetables, seems there was a slow down on produce coming from Mexico for a few weeks. But they didn’t say, “ we can’t make xyz” instead they said, “the Chef is trying a new recipe, let us know how you like abc today.” Attitude and intention is everything!

sweetana3
12-13-22, 8:12pm
Love the restaurant story. No sense in moaning and groaning, just get to work and try something new. However, this does point out the changes that also affect employees and having to change jobs if possible. They also need to try something new.

Tradd
12-13-22, 8:14pm
Nope. All over. Various discussions being held. One young man, with a "minor" criminal background, asked where he might find a job and got over 50 responses on Nextdoor from a wide variety of locations looking for hires. Our school districts are having huge issues with everyone from bus drivers to teachers.

I wonder when companies and government trying to hire will make the process easier on both sides and take a close look at their job requirements.

Pretty much any warm body can get a job these days. Of course, depending on criminal background, you might be somewhat limited. Lot of the fast food places are advertising same day pay for employees. If you want cheap meals, lots of restaurants and fast food places hiring.

ToomuchStuff
12-15-22, 4:13pm
Coworker tried to go to the mall. Mall was open, but all the stores were all closed an hour early.

beckyliz
12-16-22, 1:21pm
Some of our state legislators are "encouraging" state medical licensing boards to loosen licensing requirements in an effort to get more staff at hospitals, nursing homes, etc. not sure how I feel about that.

iris lilies
12-16-22, 1:29pm
What is going on in other Western countries re: staff shortages? Anyone know?

Tradd
12-16-22, 6:45pm
What is going on in other Western countries re: staff shortages? Anyone know?

I know from listening to BBC Radio that there are a lot of openings in the UK for just about everything.

sweetana3
12-17-22, 4:43am
Yes, and their NHS health care system is under more stress than ever. Nurses are having local strikes and a lot is due to the understaffing issues. (just like here)

ToomuchStuff
12-17-22, 11:24am
Saw the Graham Norton show last night, sounds like at least four different groups are having strikes, in part due to shortages.

Tradd
12-17-22, 9:33pm
The UK has been having a ton of strikes. Railroad employees have been the really big one lately. Lots of people in the UK take the trains.