PDA

View Full Version : Tomato Problems - Help!

Gingerella72
6-24-11, 2:26pm
My tomato plants aren't thriving. Recently I noticed what looked like yellow spots all over the leaves, and I thought oh great, blight....but upon closer inspection saw they aren't spots, they're tiny, tiny holes. All of the leaves toward the bottom half of the plants are covered in holes.

To make matters worse, the leaves towards the top of the plants are all curled up tightly in corkscrew shapes.

I've been researching disease and insect problems for tomatoes and I think the holes might be caused by flea beetles, but I'm stumped on the twisting upper leaves. They don't look like the images I've seen caused by curly top disease.

They are producing some yellow flowers and each plant has 2-3 small green tomatoes in development. None of them have reached a height over 2 feet tall; they were planted on May 5. I'm in zone 5a.

Is it possible that more than one infestation can be going on here? Anyone have any experience with these symptoms? I haven't tried treating them with anything yet, but am open to non-organic remedies; I fear they're too "sick" for anything organic to work at this point.

Can I still save them?

benhyr
6-24-11, 3:48pm
I have a similar problem but separate. Our lower leaves on our tomato plants had some yellowing. We were able to take the affected leaves off and the tops seem to be putting out healthy green growth. Our pepper plants have the same curling. I'm going to hit them with epsom salt as I've read it's a sign of magnesium deficiency in pepper plants... maybe a similar issue for your tomato plants? I'll report back if it's successful.

Also, if it's been as cold there as it has here, I'm not surprised things aren't growing :/

Gina
6-24-11, 3:52pm
If all the upper leaves on all your plants look the same, it could be a mineral deficiency instead of a pathogen. Mine sometimes get spindly and much narrower and begin to curl at the top (mine don't look corkscrew-y, but curved). That tells me it's time to add some sort of broad fertilizer iwth a full range of trace minerals. Don't add too much nitrogen however, or you'll have all leaf and few flowers/fruit.

I'm not a strict organic gardener. For a quick response, you might try something like miracle grow. Use small amounts, or put some water in a garbage can, add some water soluble fertilizer to it, and put on your plants in dilute form. A standard garbage can holds 32 gallons of water. For my plants, I'd fill the can about half-way (16 gallons), then add 8 T (1/2Cup) of MG for a half-strength dose. I'll also sometimes toss in some epsom salts for magnesium too. This is called the shot-gun approach to mineral nutrition. ;)

Amaranth
6-24-11, 7:44pm
The problem with the upper leaves could be from someone spraying herbicides in the area or other chemicals.

See one of the posts for June 22 to see tomatoes damaged by fumes from driveway sealant for example:
http://www.groweat.blogspot.com/