PDA

View Full Version : Happy Rose Day (2/7)

dado potato
2-7-23, 12:20am
This is one of 7 special days for fanning the passions in anticipation of Valentines Day.

Some guys bring a dozen red ones. I understand that roses are edible.

Those of you who are of riper years may recall a 1980's advertising slogan for Lay's Potato Chips which went: "Bet you can't eat just one."

It's a fine day to memorize and recite Robbie Burns' poem which went:
O my luve is like a r-r-red r-r-red r-r-rose...

happystuff
2-7-23, 9:42am
This is one of 7 special days for fanning the passions in anticipation of Valentines Day.

Some guys bring a dozen red ones. I understand that roses are edible.

Yes, they are! I actually made candied rose petals once. Not too bad. :)

Happy Rose Day!

iris lilies
2-7-23, 1:11pm
I always told boyfriends and husbands to bring flowers anytime they were unsure of a “gift “because I liked temporary nature of real flowers. But if they were so foolish with money as to buy a dozen red roses near Valentine’s Day, they were deserving of no respect.

The prices for longstem roses are insane. A compromise is what is popularly called “Sweetheart roses” with shorter stems, although I imagine their prices jump up this time of year, too.

Now that I have entry into the wholesale florist’s coolers, I see rows and rows of tightly packed roses of different sizes and it’s amazing to me that they’re so cheap really in non-holiday times.

happystuff
2-7-23, 1:16pm
I agree, IL. Our anniversary is within four days of Valentine's Day. Suffice to say that I do NOT get flowers for my anniversary! LOL. (But I'm actually okay with that.)

dado potato
2-7-23, 5:39pm
A frugal alternative to buying a dozen long-stemmed roses is to listen together to a Youtube audio of "O My Luve's Like a Red Red Rose".

With some, such as the version recorded by Voces8, you can scroll down in the comments and read the words as the group sings them. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7kDRk5TA3c

catherine
2-7-23, 6:52pm
I agree, IL. Our anniversary is within four days of Valentine's Day. Suffice to say that I do NOT get flowers for my anniversary! LOL. (But I'm actually okay with that.)

Haha! Yeah, our anniversary is two weeks before Valentine's Day.. so we never ever celebrate it. We've already done that lovey-dovey stuff.

rosarugosa
2-8-23, 6:18am
For me, this is the season to buy tulips. I've gotten such beautiful ones at the grocery store for about $6.00 per dozen these past two weeks.