PDA

View Full Version : Transplanting wild ferns in New England

Merski
6-25-11, 7:01pm
Has anyone done this and have any tips? The front of our house (faces North) would be perfect for ferns and we'd love a natural landscape. Every time we go for our walk we see four-five different types growing in the shade and could easily dig some up by the side of the road.
Thanks for any help!

rosarugosa
6-25-11, 8:08pm
Merski,
I have not transplanted any wild ferns (I'm about 10 miles north of Boston), but I can make some suggestions for north of house plantings that have worked well for us: Hellebores, Solomon's Seal, Fothergilla, Mountain Laurel, Hosta, Bleeding Hearts, Trillium, Lady's Fern, Foxgloves, Platycodon.
I think that if the ferns you are admiring are not an endangered or fragile population, why not give it a try?

janharker
6-25-11, 8:26pm
I live in Indiana, but a fern is a fern. And I move a bunch out of my woods every year. Wait for a cloudy day, dig a hole where the fern will be moved to. Dig up the fern, keeping some dirt on the roots. I like to put mine in a bucket to carry to the new location. I think it helps to keep the air off of the roots. Replant the fern. Water it good. Keep the soil moist but not soaked. It really is best to do this in the late Spring, but as long as it's not too hot for many days in a row, things should be fine. Remember that they die back in the winter, but will resprout as soon as the soil begins to warm in the winter.

Merski
6-25-11, 9:00pm
Thanks to you both!

iris lily
6-29-11, 9:22am
I love ferns and have about half a dozen varieties in my gothic garden which is in deep shade.

jan's advice is good, don't let them dry out at first.

But after they get established, they are quite drought tolerant.