PDA

View Full Version : When taking money out of an IRA account

iris lilies
4-7-23, 10:51am
What happens when you take money out of your IRA account?

i want to take money out of my Vanguard IRA account. Will Vanguard issue some sort of document for tax purposes?

I know this is a silly simple question, but I’ve never removed money from an IRA before, I’ve just shoved money into it.

Alan
4-7-23, 10:54am
Yes, Vanguard will provide a 1099-R, although you may have to log into your account to download it, depending upon whether or not you've opted to go paperless.

iris lilies
4-7-23, 11:03am
Yes, Vanguard will provide a 1099-R, although you may have to log into your account to download it, depending upon whether or not you've opted to go paperless.
Thank you!

Tybee
4-7-23, 11:11am
Thank you!

Alan is exactly right. You will be asked when you withdraw whether you want to withhold federal and state taxes. If you say yes, then you will receive an amount after those are deducted.
I have always gotten a 1099R in the mail from Schwab.

iris lilies
4-7-23, 11:32am
Alan is exactly right. You will be asked when you withdraw whether you want to withhold federal and state taxes. If you say yes, then you will receive an amount after those are deducted.
I have always gotten a 1099R in the mail from Schwab.
How do they know my tax rate? Or is it a flat rate for evetyone?

Alan
4-7-23, 11:48am
With Vanguard they ask you to decide what percentage (if any) of your distribution you wish to be withheld. I always choose 15% which seems to be more than adequate for my tax needs.

Yppej
4-7-23, 1:08pm
So what if it's a Roth IRA? You've paid into it with money already taxed.

Tybee
4-7-23, 1:13pm

It is not a flat rate, you can choose. So I usually select 15% to fed, sometimes 10% depending on how the year is going, and 5% to my state--that is the minimum I can choose for my state.

You do not have to withhold any taxes, though.

bae
4-7-23, 4:05pm
You do not have to withhold any taxes, though.

I've not withheld taxes for 30+ years now, preferring to have my money up-front and just pay estimated tax quarterly.

jp1
4-7-23, 9:02pm
So what if it's a Roth IRA? You've paid into it with money already taxed.

My understanding is that the person who opened and paid into the Roth is not subject to rmd’s. However, when that person dies the person who inherits it will have to take rmd’s and that the value of it at the time of death of the original holder is the cost basis for it going forward, just like most other investments.

Rogar
4-7-23, 9:24pm
My understanding is that the person who opened and paid into the Roth is not subject to rmd’s. However, when that person dies the person who inherits it will have to take rmd’s and that the value of it at the time of death of the original holder is the cost basis for it going forward, just like most other investments.

Also my take, and rmd's of the inherited IRA must start regardless of the beneficiaries age.

Yppej
4-8-23, 4:47am
I am not interested in RMDs. I want to take the whole thing out when I turn 59 1/2.

flowerseverywhere
4-8-23, 6:47am
If you take a lot of money out, is there a penalty for underpayment of quarterly taxes if you don’t have them take enough federal out?

Tybee
4-8-23, 6:55am
I am not interested in RMDs. I want to take the whole thing out when I turn 59 1/2.

According to Schwab, if you are over 59 1/2 and have had it for more than 5 years, there are no penalties, no taxes, and no RMD's:

Roth IRA Withdrawal Rules | Withdrawal From Roth IRA | Charles Schwab (https://www.schwab.com/ira/roth-ira/withdrawal-rules)

Yppej
4-8-23, 7:02am
According to Schwab, if you are over 59 1/2 and have had it for more than 5 years, there are no penalties, no taxes, and no RMD's:

Roth IRA Withdrawal Rules | Withdrawal From Roth IRA | Charles Schwab (https://www.schwab.com/ira/roth-ira/withdrawal-rules)

Excellent.TY.

Tybee
4-8-23, 8:24am
But I don't understand why you want to take it all out since it can continue to grow tax free in there. On the other hand, I have a very tiny Roth that I will probably take out to close it out and pay for something when I am actually retired, so I get the logic.

Rogar
4-8-23, 9:04am
But I don't understand why you want to take it all out since it can continue to grow tax free in there. On the other hand, I have a very tiny Roth that I will probably take out to close it out and pay for something when I am actually retired, so I get the logic.

I rolled over quit a bit of my regular IRA into a Roth when it made good tax sense. Roths are a great place to hold money since it can grow tax free.

Yppej
4-8-23, 11:51am

Because I can use it towards a house in a freer state, then take my time moving. It would be difficult for DS to move abruptly and also in this market it's hard to buy with an offer contingent on sale of your house vs cash buyer.

Tybee
4-8-23, 11:52am
It's definitely easier to move when you have already a place to go, then sell the house. I get it.

iris lilies
4-8-23, 12:04pm
Oh my God I’m so stupid, my Vanguard account is not an “IRA. “It is a 401(k) equivalent, a retirement account. I*DO*have a Roth IRA in another place.

Are the rules of dispersement the same for these “retirement “accounts?

Alan
4-8-23, 12:15pm
Yes, if we're talking about IRA's and 401K's, although I'm not sure what a "401K equivalent retirement account" might actually be.

iris lilies
4-8-23, 12:20pm
Also, let me thank everyone who has responded to this, especially Tybee. And now Alan.

DH knows all this stuff but he is belligerent and uncommunicative about it because he does not want me to take out any of my money from my accounts. Remember that in my household we don’t spend money, we save the money. Always. The money always is saved. Or hoarded, depending on one’s point of view.

iris lilies
4-8-23, 12:21pm
Yes, if we're talking about IRA's and 401K's, although I'm not sure what a "401K equivalent retirement account" might actually be.
Is the government employee version which is 453B, at least I think that’s the number.

frugal-one
4-8-23, 2:02pm
Contact the holder of your account and ask what the tax ramifications would be for the account you want to liquidate. Don't rely on us, albeit the information provided has been good.

Tybee
4-8-23, 5:32pm
Contact the holder of your account and ask what the tax ramifications would be for the account you want to liquidate. Don't rely on us, albeit the information provided has been good.
Frugal has the right idea.
Could it be a 403(B)?
403(b) Withdrawal Rules: Different Withdrawals, RMD's and Loans (investingfuse.com) (https://investingfuse.com/retirement/403b-withdrawal-rules/)

iris lilies
4-8-23, 5:44pm
Frugal has the right idea.
Could it be a 403(B)?
403(b) Withdrawal Rules: Different Withdrawals, RMD's and Loans (investingfuse.com) (https://investingfuse.com/retirement/403b-withdrawal-rules/)
That’s probably it.

iris lilies
4-10-23, 10:59am
Well, I’m switching yet again. This time I’m switching to a Roth IRA account. Our broker at that house issued to us checks many months ago for just this purpose, a checkbook for each of us tied to each one of our Roth accounts. Now it all makes sense because I thought he didn’t realize we are not old enough to remove money without tax consequences.

Of course, with a Roth, there are no tax consequences.

Tybee
4-10-23, 11:13am
But you are old enough-- 59 1/2 is the cutoff. Why would you say you are not old enough to remove money without tax consequences? There are always going to be tax consequences when removing money from a regular IRA, even after 70 1/2. Now I am confused.

iris lilies
4-10-23, 11:48am
But you are old enough-- 59 1/2 is the cutoff. Why would you say you are not old enough to remove money without tax consequences? There are always going to be tax consequences when removing money from a regular IRA, even after 70 1/2. Now I am confused.

When I’m 70.5 years old I can move money from a regular IRA to a qualified charity, and neither party has to pay any tax. The federal government will get nothing. Zero. It will get what it deserves, zero.

The money I’m taking out today is going to a qualified charity, coming from a Roth IRA.

Tybee
4-10-23, 12:15pm
When I’m 70.5 years old I can move money from a regular IRA to a qualified charity, and neither party has to pay any tax. The federal government will get nothing. Zero. It will get what it deserves, zero.

The money I’m taking out today is going to a qualified charity, coming from a Roth IRA.

Thank you for the clarification and amplication!

frugal-one
4-10-23, 3:25pm

Why from the ROTH? That money is already tax free? Guess I am confused as to why you are doing this too???

Had taxes done today and learned that it is never too late to convert traditional IRA to ROTH......

iris lilies
4-10-23, 4:19pm
Why from the ROTH? That money is already tax free? Guess I am confused as to why you are doing this too???

Had taxes done today and learned that it is never too late to convert traditional IRA to ROTH......

I am not old enough to transfer money from a regular IRA to a qualified charity with no tax consequence.

Every other option I have to move $10,000 from retirement accounts to this charity comes with tax consequences.

The Roth option seems the best to me. I’m not sure what you mean by” doing this too.” In addition to what, I do not know.

To make this as simple as I possibly can: I am moving $10,000 from my Roth IRA to a qualified charity. This action incurs no tax to either party.

Our tax bill is already stupidly high this year due to a forced sale of stock.

rosarugosa
4-11-23, 6:02am
It's my understanding that you could take $10,000 of of a Roth to spend at the mall without tax repercussions.
I believe Frugal-one means that she too, is confused.

iris lilies
4-11-23, 9:34am
It's my understanding that you could take $10,000 of of a Roth to spend at the mall without tax repercussions.
I believe Frugal-one means that she too, is confused.

Yes, that is true, Roth money can be withdrawn for hookers and blow, no taxes need to be paid.

Tybee
4-11-23, 9:48am
Yes, that is true, Roth money can be withdrawn for hookers and blow, no taxes need to be paid.

I think I would wait until 70.5 if it were my choice, and take from the regular IRA. The money in the Roth is more valuable. Or I would establish a charitable fund with some of my IRA and pay charities from there, getting the tax deduction.

This is due to fact that I have seen how expensive my mom's assisted living has been, and I realized yesterday that she has now been in assisted living for 5.5 years now. She pays 11900 a month.

iris lilies
4-11-23, 10:15am
I think I would wait until 70.5 if it were my choice, and take from the regular IRA. The money in the Roth is more valuable. Or I would establish a charitable fund with some of my IRA and pay charities from there, getting the tax deduction.

This is due to fact that I have seen how expensive my mom's assisted living has been, and I realized yesterday that she has now been in assisted living for 5.5 years now. She pays 11900 a month.

Wow, has it been that long? Doesn’t seem like it’s been five years that your mother has been there.

I suppose your thought is fine from a purely financial point of view. However – in this case the presiding decision is not purely financial, it is as usual in my household, marital conflict.

DH does not want to give this much money away right now. And, this organizations needs the money NOW, I am on the board. DH and I have a lot of money in joint checking accounts but I can’t use that because that’s partly his money.

So, I am limited to the “my money “accounts, which are a Roth IRA and the 403B. I guess I don’t have a regular IRA, I’ve just reviewed the list and nope, no regular IRA. You all are probably thinking “ How can Iris be so dumb about her accounts?” but honestly, I haven’t been in a situation to take money out of them, so I don’t pay any attention to the rules of withdrawal and which kind of accounts I have.

I would rather use the 403B account because it’s much bigger but… taxes ensue. Sure, I could just swallow and pay the taxes but I don’t want to. I just do not want the federal government to get more damn money.

Tybee
4-11-23, 10:36am
Wow, has it been that long? Doesn’t seem like it’s been five years that your mother has been there.

I suppose your thought is fine from a purely financial point of view. However – in this case the presiding decision is not purely financial, it is as usual in my household, marital conflict.

DH does not want to give this much money away right now. And, this organizations needs the money NOW, I am on the board. DH and I have a lot of money in joint checking accounts but I can’t use that because that’s partly his money.

So, I am limited to the “my money “accounts, which are a Roth IRA and the 403B. I guess I don’t have a regular IRA, I’ve just reviewed the list and nope, no regular IRA. You all are probably thinking “ How can Iris be so dumb about her accounts?” but honestly, I haven’t been in a situation to take money out of them, so I don’t pay any attention to the rules of withdrawal and which kind of accounts I have.

I would rather use the 403B account because it’s much bigger but… taxes ensue. Sure, I could just swallow and pay the taxes but I don’t want to. I just do not want the federal government to get more damn money.

Probably more unwanted advice, but I would roll that 403B into a regular IRA somewhere like Schwab or Fidelity for ease of planning, handling, etc. I did that with my 401k, well part of it, when I turned 59 1/2, and continue to do so as I add to it from work, just roll some over every couple of years, but I am a control freak with my money, and want to have it under my control.

iris lilies
4-11-23, 12:29pm
Probably more unwanted advice, but I would roll that 403B into a regular IRA somewhere like Schwab or Fidelity for ease of planning, handling, etc. I did that with my 401k, well part of it, when I turned 59 1/2, and continue to do so as I add to it from work, just roll some over every couple of years, but I am a control freak with my money, and want to have it under my control.
Interesting. Why isn’t it under my control now?

Tybee
4-11-23, 1:58pm

My 401k was subject to my employer's rules.

I believe Enron employees lost their 401ks?

I don't want my employer to have control of my money.

I'd rather deal with Schwab than deal with the brokerage that controls my 401k.

I have more investing choices in an IRA.

beckyliz
4-11-23, 2:36pm
Oh my God I’m so stupid, my Vanguard account is not an “IRA. “It is a 401(k) equivalent, a retirement account. I*DO*have a Roth IRA in another place.

Both IRAs and 401(k)s are considered qualified plans. Basically the same rules for distributions.

iris lilies
4-11-23, 3:50pm

my 403B was rolled over into Vanguard. I assume it’s still a 403B But if it’s not under the control of my employer, maybe it is now a regular IRA. I’m sorry to be so stupid but I just don’t remember. I rolled it over in 2015 and forgot about it.. My employer has nothing to do with it once I left employment. And now you will judge me because I’m going to tell you a secret: all this money is in a CD. Yes, a regular old boring CD, but hey, that’s the way I can sleep at night.

When DH and I retired in 2015 he and I had two separate accounts of about the same amount of money. Seven years later he has $200,000 more than I have because he didn’t put his in a boring CD. But I don’t care, I like knowing mine is not subject to the fluctuations of the market .

Tybee
4-11-23, 8:28pm
I think it's smart of you to invest in what lets you sleep at night.

jp1
4-11-23, 8:36pm

With the exception of my 401k at my previous mega Corp employer I’ve rolled all the others into a single rollover IRA at E*Trade. It’s easier to manage, I can invest in a much wider range of investments with lower expenses than the limited choices at the various former employers. The only reason I have left money in mega corp’s 401k is because the expense charges are super low, presumably because it’s a company with 40,000 US employees. At some point I will also roll that into E*trade before I retire. The goal being to have my finances are simple as possible once I’m in drawdown mode.

jp1
4-11-23, 8:41pm
A random aside that probably doesn’t affect anyone in this conversation. I worked at a company many years ago that got acquired by a different company. When that happened the 401k got shut down. The only option I had was to roll it into a crappy annuity that the 401k plan offered. I assume former employees had better options but I don’t know for sure. I only had a few thousand in it at the time so at least I didn’t get screwed as bad as the coworker that had taken out a 401k loan for a house down payment. He ended up having no choice but to deal with it as an early withdrawal, including the 10% penalty

frugal-one
4-11-23, 8:52pm
If you don't understand how to withdraw or utilize your finances, it is time to talk to someone (not here) that can give the advice you need for your situation. Have you done this?

iris lilies
4-11-23, 9:02pm
If you don't understand how to withdraw or utilize your finances, it is time to talk to someone (not here) that can give the advice you need for your situation. Have you done this?
DH knows but he’s cranky so he doesn’t offer information freely.:~)

See, it is all coming back to me, this stuff that I forget. Seven years ago I rolled the 403B into an account at Vanguard, which is likely an IRA now, but either way, I have to pay tax if I want to take money out of it RIGHT NOW. At age 70.5 I can move money from it to a qualified charity and no tax results (but I will be verifying that with our tax guy.)

6+ months ago, when I was asking around about the best way to set aside money for charitable donations, one of our brokers said we should take money out of our Roth IRA for charitable giving because there’s no taxes, and he sent checks to those accounts.

I have to look at these accounts periodically to refresh my memory, and this is not the week to bother our tax guy about it.

nswef
4-12-23, 10:46am
IL, I have used my required minimum withdrawal for charity. I tell the financial person, he sets it up, I sign it on line and it goes to the charities directly. This reduces our income and I would have supported them that much generally. My husband isn't doing that...so the income gets taxed. We're looking into a community foundation that disperses scholarships etc. for the county. It's been around for years and seems to be very reputable, recommended by our accountant, so that is on my list to figure out....has been for several years...same with the information for the lawyer for the wills although they are signed and in effect.

iris lilies
4-12-23, 11:21am
IL, I have used my required minimum withdrawal for charity. I tell the financial person, he sets it up, I sign it on line and it goes to the charities directly. This reduces our income and I would have supported them that much generally. My husband isn't doing that...so the income gets taxed. We're looking into a community foundation that disperses scholarships etc. for the county. It's been around for years and seems to be very reputable, recommended by our accountant, so that is on my list to figure out....has been for several years...same with the information for the lawyer for the wills although they are signed and in effect.
May I ask your age?

nswef
4-13-23, 8:52am
I'm 74

iris lilies
4-13-23, 10:03am
I'm 74
I think that is a good way to think of donations, Required Minimum Distributions go the way of charitable organizations.

I am 68 years old and do not even know yet how much that RMD is supposed to be when I hit the age where it is required.

nswef
4-14-23, 10:46am
Our Stock person tells us when and how much.

iris lilies
4-14-23, 11:30am
Our Stock person tells us when and how much.
I looked at a chart and plugged in some numbers and holy moly, that is a LOT they are requiring me to take out, assuming the numbers are correct. Oh well, I will worry about that in a few years when it’s required.

Tybee
4-14-23, 11:41am
I looked at a chart and plug in some numbers and holy moly, that is a LOT they are requiring me to take out, assuming the numbers are correct. Oh well, I will worry about that in a few years when it’s required.

Here's my unsolicited advice--wait until you are 70 1/2 and can take the RMD out as the charitable donation. At that time, you will know better if you need to start saving your RMD for medical/ltc type help.

Cool your jets on big ticket donating until you hit the age when you have to take it out.

This keeps it simple and lets you consolidate accounts or invest them now since they are in a cd, and that may not be what you want, if you have so much that you think you have to withdraw too much. Or it may be. But it gives you time to think and get in control of the situation, so that you understand what you are doing better.

iris lilies
4-14-23, 2:04pm
Here's my unsolicited advice--wait until you are 70 1/2 and can take the RMD out as the charitable donation. At that time, you will know better if you need to start saving your RMD for medical/ltc type help.

Cool your jets on big ticket donating until you hit the age when you have to take it out.

This keeps it simple and lets you consolidate accounts or invest them now since they are in a cd, and that may not be what you want, if you have so much that you think you have to withdraw too much. Or it may be. But it gives you time to think and get in control of the situation, so that you understand what you are doing better.

Ugh, you are probably right about a good approach. Can’t say I’m going to do it, though! My desire for charitable giving is all tied up with, and constrained by, DH. Some of that constraint may not be a bad thing.

I am just annoyed that there appears to be yet more financial decision making coming down the road. This should be a time I can coast. I say often that we are steller at saving money, mediocre at investing (mainly have just had luck and long term gains from compounding interest) and we are downright stupid about drawing down assets.

I should apply to Ramit Sathi’s program. He would knock some sense into us, telling us to spend spend spend. I have not yet heard him address the nursing home cost issue, though.

I comfortably have enough for 7 years in a nursing home without touching joint assets. Maybe I don’t need that much.

Tybee
4-14-23, 6:14pm
[QUOTE=iris lilies;423914]Ugh, you are probably right about a good approach. Can’t say I’m going to do it, though! My desire for charitable giving is all tied up with, and constrained by, DH. Some of that constraint may not be a bad thing.

I am just annoyed that there appears to be yet more financial decision making coming down the road. This should be a time I can coast. I say often that we are steller at saving money, mediocre at investing (mainly have just had luck and long term gains from compounding interest) and we are downright stupid about drawing down assets.

I should apply to Ramit Sathi’s program. He would knock some sense into us, telling us to spend spend spend. I have not yet heard him address the nursing home cost issue, though.

I comfortably have enough for 7 years in a nursing home without touching joint assets. Maybe I don’t need that much.[/QUOTE

Are you counting on nursing home or assisted living, like memory care? Mom pays 11000 but if she gets bumped up to nursing home, then its 20,000. But she still brings in social security and has a rental property, so it is not all coming out of her savings.

I think if you have enough for 7 years in a nursing home, and he does too, since he has more than you, you say, I think you are both fine to not save more for long term care. Since most people only last 2.5 years in assisted living/nursing homes.

I still would not be slinging money at charities when you are trying to figure out how to simplify, consolidate, automate, etc. I'd get to work on those things, then plan to give the rmds to charity if I can still afford it.

With possible dementia in my future, I plan to simplify and automate and have a big master plan when I get to where I am not working and just living off fixed income and savings.

Ramit Sathi has nothing to teach you, since he is at such a different stage of life. In my opinion. Get some good books on drawing down your assets. Someone here I think was LDahl, recommended one, can't remember the name, although I did read it and it was good.

Tybee
4-14-23, 6:16pm
Here you go, Steve Vernon, Money for Life

Retirement income (simplelivingforum.net) (http://www.simplelivingforum.net/showthread.php?19312-Retirement-income&highlight=drawing+assets)

iris lilies
4-14-23, 9:57pm
Here you go, Steve Vernon, Money for Life

Retirement income (simplelivingforum.net) (http://www.simplelivingforum.net/showthread.php?19312-Retirement-income&highlight=drawing+assets)

oh Tybee I don’t know, I have to read the entire book. I don’t know. Maybe I’ll get it and skim it.

i’m figuring $100,000 annually for assisted-living/nursing home because that’s a meld of both of them. You can get nursing home care here in the Midwest for $100,000 with assisted-living less.

Tybee
4-15-23, 9:21am
oh Tybee I don’t know, I have to read the entire book. I don’t know. Maybe I’ll get it and skim it.

i’m figuring $100,000 annually for assisted-living/nursing home because that’s a meld of both of them. You can get nursing home care here in the Midwest for $100,000 with assisted-living less.

You have enough money, for sure.

Now you just have to simplify and get a master plan going so you are set if you have cognitive decline.

I figure some pre-planning now will stave off a big mess if and when I get to where I can't read a book anymore.

iris lilies
4-15-23, 10:29am
You have enough money, for sure.

Now you just have to simplify and get a master plan going so you are set if you have cognitive decline.

I figure some pre-planning now will stave off a big mess if and when I get to where I can't read a book anymore.

in this latest revision of our trust, and well, I’m seriously considering one of those personal/fiduciary representative services. Probably we won’t do it this time of the Attorney work, but next time around, which is another 5 to 10 years I will probably sign on with one. It saves our executors tons of work. Of course it costs something.

beckyliz
4-19-23, 12:34pm
FYI - new RMD age is 72; 73 if you reach 72 after 12/31/22.