PDA

View Full Version : E85

Tradd
6-22-23, 8:53am
Gas prices in my area of the Chicago burbs have gone up to $4.40 for regular at some stations. I’m giving E85 another try. I got it for $3.50 on Tuesday locally and also used it for part of my trip home Monday (got it in Indiana). I have a 2018 Ford Escape that is marked E85 on the gas cap, so my vehicle has no issues with it. At this point, no decrease in MPG and the Scuba Sherpa runs like usual. I’ll report back on how this experiment goes. I realize E85 is most widely available in the Midwest (it’s 51-83% ethanol from corn).

happystuff
6-25-23, 9:10am
I've never heard of E85. I wonder if it is even offered anywhere in my area and if any of our family cars could use it if it was.

Tradd
6-25-23, 9:50am
I've never heard of E85. I wonder if it is even offered anywhere in my area and if any of our family cars could use it if it was.

How old is your car? It will say E85 on the gas cap or flex fuel, or check the manual. It has to be specifically noted.

It’s much make available in the Midwest. There does appear to be some loss of mpg, but it’s less noticeable around town than on long trips, but it’s so much cheaper here that I’m still coming out ahead.

happystuff
6-26-23, 4:12pm
How old is your car? It will say E85 on the gas cap or flex fuel, or check the manual. It has to be specifically noted.

It’s much make available in the Midwest. There does appear to be some loss of mpg, but it’s less noticeable around town than on long trips, but it’s so much cheaper here that I’m still coming out ahead.

Thanks. My car is a 2008. I'll have to have a look at the gas cap later. Maybe even pull out the manual.

jp1
6-26-23, 9:39pm
Definitely check the owners' manual if you still have it. If you don't you can probably find the manual online. Mine, for my 2002 Honda Accord, is quite clear that I should not put anything with more than 10% ethanol in it. Random aside, it was amusing to me to read the manual calling anything stonger than 10% as "gasohol". I remember that term from back in the day but obviously no one calls it that now.

Tradd
6-26-23, 10:57pm
jp, wow! I do remember it being called gasohol

Tradd
6-27-23, 10:14am
Frankly, with cars as old as both of you have, I doubt you’ll be able to use anything besides regular gas.

bae
6-27-23, 2:15pm
I wonder:

How many tax dollars in the form of subsidies/tax credits/... go into producing ethanol for fuel?

How much in the way of petrochemical-based fertilizer and fuels go into producing the corn and distilling the product?

flowerseverywhere
6-29-23, 9:55am
I wonder:

How many tax dollars in the form of subsidies/tax credits/... go into producing ethanol for fuel?

How much in the way of petrochemical-based fertilizer and fuels go into producing the corn and distilling the product?

My guess is whomever has the most lobbyists and donations to political candidates

catherine
6-29-23, 11:47am
I wonder:

I have such a problem with biomass for fuel, unless it's individuals burning wood for home heating. For industrial purposes, how ironic is it that pristine land, topsoil, forests are ravaged in the name of keeping cars on the road and homes heated and air conditioned.

jp1
6-29-23, 8:26pm
Depending on whose numbers you believe corn ethanol is either modestly beneficial at reducing fossil fuel use or is actually more energy intensive. From what I’ve read the ethanol made in brazil from sugarcane is significantly more energy efficient than corn ethanol.

bae
6-29-23, 8:35pm
Depending on whose numbers you believe corn ethanol is either modestly beneficial at reducing fossil fuel use or is actually more energy intensive. From what I’ve read the ethanol made in brazil from sugarcane is significantly more energy efficient than corn ethanol.

Where do they grow that sugarcane? I seem to recall it's on land previously-known-as-rainforest, so that can't be an especially ecological approach either.

jp1
6-29-23, 9:53pm
Where do they grow that sugarcane? I seem to recall it's on land previously-known-as-rainforest, so that can't be an especially ecological approach either.

Very true. Obviously burning down big chunks of the globe’s biggest carbon sink is probably not the best plan but it is somewhat understandable why a developing economy would do so to thwart being beholden to the major fossil fuel producers. And at least from an energy standpoint it makes sense, at least compared to growing corn to fuel cars. In a perfect world the richest nations would be supporting Brazil to prevent what they are doing but we certainly don’t live in that world.

littlebittybobby
7-8-23, 8:31pm
Okay----As summa you kids know, I am opposed to darn near everything. Yup. Or, at least 87.45% of everything. I just pulled that random figure out of my narrow mind, btw. So anyway---I am VERY opposed to E85. See, what it is, is corn--a grain-- being used to make motor fuel, so people can just get out and DRIVE, for something to "do". Basically, an aggravated rape of the land. Like tearing the siding off your house to burn it in the wood stove. Yup. And then---it is harder on your vehicle, since unlike petroleum it is just alcohol, a solvent that dissolves or oxidizes the parts on your car. Yup. The 'puter on your car has to adjust the fuel mixture to "richen" it, since alcohol is higher octane BUT doesn't produce as much energy. But yeah--it's also a costly scam of consumers, to please agribusiness by generating a market for grain, on land that should soley be used to "perduce"(a Grassleyism) Foodstuffs for a growing population. So yeah---there's much capital investment involved in gasohol production plants. Is that better than fracking and pipelines? Not really. The local opposition by neighbors of gasohol plants in rural areas is usually overruled by officials in the back pockets of big agerbizness. But, I know you kids won't take my word for anything, and sorry I cannot recommend a book that supports my view & because most of what you read or are exposed to in media are just pro-gasohol(E85) industry propaganda, about how it provides JOBS and so on. The only thing worse would be to feed ALL the grain to factory-farmed hogs, cattle, and poultry, then slaughter the animals for the choicest cuts of meat and then use the rest of the carcass to make motor fuel. I'm sure it probably could be done, if only there were more industry/gubbbmint subsidies for the technology and infrastructure. Yup. But yeah, we are burning the candle at both ends until an asteroid hits and extinguishes mankind. Hope that helps you kids. Thankk mee.