PDA

View Full Version : RSV Vaccination?

Rogar
8-25-23, 8:06pm
I was reading that this year the RSV vaccine is recommended for people over 60, which I qualify. I've not heard of anyone in my small social circle even talk about it. I've seen it mentioned in the news, but it seems like it's been about school aged kids and not much mention of old people risk or vaccination. The news was calling it a "fall virus". I plan on getting the updated covid shot and the flu, but I need to learn more about the RSV vaccine. I believe it is an mRNA vaccine which cause a lot to think it was a high health risk, of which I don't buy into.

I'm not much into the RFK, jr. voodoo science, but I could start to think all these viral shots could have some sort of interaction. I'm most likely to go with what ever the health experts say, but have hesitation so far.

What has been in the news is West Nile in our region. More deaths than typical, but not a lot. Something to do with a wet early summer. It had dropped off the radar the last few years. I just noticed my neighbor put up netting around his deck.

bae
8-25-23, 8:33pm
I'm going with it.

KayLR
8-25-23, 10:06pm
I am recovering from my second bout with it. I hate it. I never ever, ever get sick. Never have had Covid. But this relentless cough is awful.

So I have an appointment in September to get the vaccine. I'm all up to date on everything else. Good to go for winter.

sweetana3
8-26-23, 5:10am
I have asthma and will occasionally get the dreaded tickle in the throat that develops into weeks long coughing fits. What has proven useful is a "rescue" inhaler of generic albuterol. All it does is relax the muscles in the bronchial area to allow easier breathing and coughing when necessary. I recommend talking to your doctor about having one on hand. A lot better than weeks of nonproductive coughing.

frugal-one
8-26-23, 5:25am
Not familiar with this vaccine…. shows for respiratory viruses? I did get the pneumonia vaccine. Woudn’t this be enough?

Teacher Terry
8-26-23, 9:26am
I did some research and I am not going to get it. I don’t take the flu shot and I have had enough covid shots also.

Tybee
8-26-23, 10:27am
I think that's where I come out, too, Terry.

Rogar
8-26-23, 11:55am
I will have a discussion with my health care provider if no real concerns arise between now and then. The NPR article was more of a definite recommendation. There are enough respiratory viruses floating around these days that I can see the remote possibility of getting two at the same time even with vaccinations.

CDC recommends adults 60 years and older may receive a single dose of RSV vaccine, based on discussions between the patient and health care provider.
RSV vaccine may be given at the same time as other vaccines.
https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/hcp/vis/vis-statements/rsv.html

Tradd
8-26-23, 11:55am
Not familiar with this vaccine…. shows for respiratory viruses? I did get the pneumonia vaccine. Woudn’t this be enough?

RSV is something different. All I can say is ask your doctor.

Teacher Terry
8-26-23, 4:19pm
All 3 covid shots left me in bed really sick for 4 days each. I think we are getting carried away with so many of them. Kids get double the vaccines now then when we were kids. I don’t think it’s necessary or good for your immune system to get so many.

Rogar
8-26-23, 5:04pm
I did some research and I am not going to get it.

Since I'm still collecting information, I was wondering what information influenced your decision?

happystuff
8-26-23, 7:44pm
This past year, I have been diagnosed with SAD - Specific Antibody Deficiency. My understanding of it all is that I am susceptible to bacterial infection, usually in my lungs. Last year I basically had bronchitis pretty much for 4 months and went through three courses of antibiotics before I said "enough".

At this point in time, if my dr says get the vaccine, I'll get the vaccine.

KayLR
8-26-23, 10:31pm
If you don't mind relentless deep honking coughing for weeks, then don't bother with the vaccine. Frankly, I've had enough of this.

Rogar
8-27-23, 7:50am
This spring I picked up covid (vaccinated), apparently from visiting a relative in a long term care facility where it was running through the patient population. For about three days, before the Paxlovid kicked in, I had a deep chest cough hard enough to make my side and stomach muscles ache. I think to get both covid and RSV at the same time could mean hospital for me or worse and I don't have any per-existing conditions (other than age). I suppose that is a remote possibility. I've not seen anything negative about the RSV shot other than it's an mRNA vaccine, which some think is a problem with unknown evidence.

lmerullo
8-27-23, 9:59am
I am RSV negative, as the blood donation checks for that. They frequently use my blood for babies.

Having said that, I was intimately exposed to RSV when my grandson went from "he's a little off, I called the Dr and they said they're booked up today" to I'm going to the Er. To we're life flighting him to Children's Hospital in just a few hours. Dude spent 18 days fighting for his life and we were not expecting him to survive. He miraculously did, and is still catching up developmentally a year later. He had RSV, influenza and pneumonia but not "C". When you see a weeks old baby intubated and in a medically induced coma struggling as he did, not much else matters. Both mom and I stayed with him, held him when allowed , etc and neither of us got it. I have asthma and part of me was worried I would be in the neighboring bed fighting myself. The hospital tested me every few days because I was exposed and high risk. Very lucky.

iris lilies
8-27-23, 10:13am
I am RSV negative, as the blood donation checks for that. They frequently use my blood for babies.

Having said that, I was intimately exposed to RSV when my grandson went from "he's a little off, I called the Dr and they said they're booked up today" to I'm going to the Er. To we're life flighting him to Children's Hospital in just a few hours. Dude spent 18 days fighting for his life and we were not expecting him to survive. He miraculously did, and is still catching up developmentally a year later. He had RSV, influenza and pneumonia but not "C". When you see a weeks old baby intubated and in a medically induced coma struggling as he did, not much else matters. Both mom and I stayed with him, held him when allowed , etc and neither of us got it. I have asthma and part of me was worried I would be in the neighboring bed fighting myself. The hospital tested me every few days because I was exposed and high risk. Very lucky.
Oh, how scary! What a terrible experience, and how wonderful that he pulled through.

Teacher Terry
8-28-23, 10:46am
Imerullo, so happy your grand baby is fine.

Tybee
8-28-23, 12:50pm
Me too!

Tradd
8-28-23, 1:16pm

So glad grandbaby is OK

happystuff
8-28-23, 9:26pm
Wow, what an experience! So glad your grandson - and you! - are okay.

jp1
9-11-23, 8:48pm
It sounds like the new covid shot is expected to get final approval tomorrow. And I saw at Safeway today that they have flu shots available. Next week starts my major work travel season (San Diego for a giant conference next week, LA twice in October, Dallas for our team away day later in October, Las Vegas for another mega conference in November, Chicago for the company holiday party in early December). If I can get both the flu shot and covid shot at the end of the week I will be happy.

rosarugosa
9-12-23, 5:45am
My pulmonologist recommends that I get the RSV vax, so I will be doing so in addition to the others (new Covid, flu & pneumonia).

jp1
9-16-23, 10:14pm
So I had an appointment for the vax today at cvs but was denied because cvs doesn’t accept my insurance. When making the appointment make sure that the provider accepts your insurance since it’s now subject to the for profit medical industrial complex paying for it.

iris lilies
9-16-23, 11:41pm
So I had an appointment for the vax today at cvs but was denied because cvs doesn’t accept my insurance. When making the appointment make sure that the provider accepts your insurance since it’s now subject to the for profit medical industrial complex paying for it.
Are we talking about the Rsv vax here? Did you expect it to be free?

The pharmacy I use has accepted my insurance for pneumonia and shingles so I imagine subsequent vaccinations will be covered there as well.

jp1
9-17-23, 7:09am

The pharmacy I use, has excepted my insurance for pneumonia and shingles so I imagine subsequent vaccinations will be covered there as well.

No. The covid vax. Sorry I wasn’t clear.

I’d heard that it wasn’t going to be paid by the government anymore but didn’t think much of it since I have decent insurance. Then the reality of our shitty for profit healthcare system reared it’s ugly head when I learned that one of the two largest pharmacy chains in the country doesn’t take that insurance.

Rogar
9-17-23, 8:17am
Insurance is not my strong point, but the news I get says Medicare part D will pay for the RSV vaccine.

"Thanks to the Inflation Reduction Act’s (IRA) expansion of Medicare’s vaccine coverage (https://cahealthadvocates.org/how-the-inflation-reduction-act-will-continue-to-reduce-drug-costs-in-2024/), this RSV vaccine is covered by Medicare Part D and is cost-free to you. Medicare Part D covers this vaccine as long as the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP) recommends it. The ACIP, a government agency that gives advice about who should get certain vaccines, currently recommends the RSV vaccine for adults ages 60 and over.

If your pharmacy tries to charge a copay or deductible, call 1-800-MEDICARE (1-800-633-4227) for help. Remember, as long as you have Medicare Part D, this RSV vaccine should be free for you. You can also call your local Health Insurance Counseling and Advocacy Program (HICAP) (https://cahealthadvocates.org/hicap/) for assistance at 1-800-434-0222.
See Medicare.gov (https://www.medicare.gov/coverage/preventive-screening-services) for more information on Medicare-covered vaccines and preventive services."

iris lilies
9-17-23, 12:40pm

The pharmacy I use has accepted my insurance for pneumonia and shingles so I imagine subsequent vaccinations will be covered there as well.

oh, wait, I take that back. Both shingles shots were out of pocket, I forgot about that, but no matter it was worth it to me.
I’m pretty sure the pneumonia shot was covered? Oh hell I don’t even remember anymore.

jp1
9-17-23, 12:58pm
For me both shingles and pneumonia were covered. I got them both at the doc's office. The only other vax I've ever gotten at CVS was one of the other covid shots, back when the government bought them so I didn't find out that CVS doesn't take my insurance.

iris lilies
9-17-23, 3:05pm
For me both shingles and pneumonia were covered. I got them both at the doc's office. The only other vax I've ever gotten at CVS was one of the other covid shots, back when the government bought them so I didn't find out that CVS doesn't take my insurance.
Ah then you have “better insurance” (whatever that means) than my publicly funded gubmnt policy.

even though I really have no complaints about any of my health costs because I have plenty of money, I feel it’s necessary to always complain about health insurance because that’s just what we Americans do. You of course were complaining about it several posts ago.

I guarantee you that when the government steps further into it, it will STILL be nothing but complaints.

jp1
9-17-23, 3:11pm
Actually the reason my insurance pays for all the vaccines is because of the ACA, a government law.

iris lilies
9-17-23, 4:43pm
Actually the reason my insurance pays for all the vaccines is because of the ACA, a government law.
That is funny. The government mandates that your for-profit insurers pay for it, but the government doesn’t pay for mine, because it comes out of its own pocket.

jp1
9-21-23, 8:23pm
Had my second try appointment this afternoon at Walgreens and it worked out fine. Now the only question is whether that crazy lady a couple years ago was correct and I'm going to be magnetic. I hope she was right because I think it would be super cool to be like Magneto! :~)