PDA

View Full Version : Are people still buying crypto?

iris lilies
11-3-23, 3:37pm
I listened to a Ramit Sethi podcast today from more than two years ago, where the husband of the household was buying crypto. He spent his days on the crypto market. And I wonder, are people still doing that?

I know we’re just a bunch of old people here who have conservative investments, but still you all may know more about this than I do. I don’t talk to anyone who participates in crypto that they will admit to anyway.

bae
11-3-23, 4:53pm
Heck, people still buy tulip bulbs!

Rogar
11-3-23, 5:02pm
Seems like someone on the forum was dabbling in crypto a while back? I certainly don't know of anyone. However, I occasionally watch the prices of gold and solver on the JM Bullion site. They are one of the big brokerage houses for precious metals. I have some minor family items I'd like to sell at the right price. At last check gold has taken a bit of a run up. I've understood that precious metals and crypto compete with each other for the speculative market and people are turning away from crypto. Through their site you can actually buy gold with crypto currency, which I thought was interesting.

Tradd
11-3-23, 7:59pm
Heck, people still buy tulip bulbs!

I get that reference!

iris lilies
11-3-23, 8:32pm
I get that reference!
I did an educational display on that for a garden club show. I was not really honest in the I display, I went with the conventional wisdom that tulip bulbs were a hotly traded commodity for their time, trading at increasingly obscene prices and e tire family fortunes were gained and lost.

There is a book by by an academic researcher that refutes that whole thing. She said pretty much the tulip craze was not that much of a craze, it lasted a few winters,, it was really about old men sitting around in the bars during the winter when their crops were in, drinking beer, and entertaining themselves.

bae
11-3-23, 9:33pm
My daughter planted 1400 bulbs today, apparently with some sort of Dr. Suess bulb-auger tool.

They have about 57000 bulbs to go on the project.

iris lilies
11-3-23, 11:42pm
My daughter planted 1400 bulbs today, apparently with some sort of Dr. Suess bulb-auger tool.

They have about 57000 bulbs to go on the project.
That is a shit ton of tulips.

i dont rwally like them. Here, the squirrels dig them up and steal them. Or if they survive squirrels, after the first year they peter out.

Daffodils are the rwal dwal—squirrel and deer proof, come up every year, may even multiply.
But in the UK where it is gardener’s heaven, tulips may do much better.

That said, I did plant 3 kinds of species tulips this fall, charming little things.