PDA

View Full Version : Annual salary bonuses in the public sector?

iris lily
6-28-11, 10:11pm
I was shocked to read that the administrators at the local Science Center here received an annual bonus. $264,000 was awarded to 11 administrators.

http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/metro/article_3f00c961-73a6-58ef-a7eb-682c64a030ee.html

ummm? This organization is in fund raising mode. After this news story broke, they scuttled the bonus program, well, moved it so that it is to be paid from private funds from their fund raising arm.

That makes no difference to me, I'm not donating. If their private Foundation can afford to give these bonuses, they can afford to be without my donation.

COmment on annual bonuses for public employees? This is ridiculous IMHO. I mean, are they gonna fire these guy if they don't meet their quotas like in the private sector where people lose their jobs when they don't bring in the money?

balulalow
6-28-11, 11:10pm
Generally I think public employees should have the opportunity to earn performance bonuses, but the situation described in the linked article did not seem reasonable to me. If a "bonus" can be so easily earned year after year, by everyone, then the metrics used to determine the bonus seem flawed.

In contrast to that story, you might find this article from my local newspaper interesting:
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2015427508_money26m.html

A team of six state employees turned down as much as $10,000 per person in reward money for innovative work that will save Washington taxpayers nearly $6 million to de-ice winter highways. "We felt it was part of our job," Chris Christopher, a director of maintenance at the Department of Transportation, said Friday, explaining the group's decision not to take the whole prize. "This is what we get paid to do."

Mrs-M
6-29-11, 5:21am
Originally posted by Iris Lily.
ummm? This organization is in fund raising mode. After this news story broke, they scuttled the bonus program, well, moved it so that it is to be paid from private funds from their fund raising arm.

That makes no difference to me, I'm not donating. If their private Foundation can afford to give these bonuses, they can afford to be without my donation.Well said!