PDA

View Full Version : "Loud Budgeting"

bae
2-5-24, 3:08pm
I just came across this, and thought some of you might enjoy it:

https://www.cnn.com/2024/02/05/economy/loud-budgeting-financial-trend-tiktok/index.html

iris lilies
2-5-24, 6:44pm
It would be nice if this fad catches on.

Tradd
2-5-24, 7:44pm
I like this.

Rogar
2-5-24, 7:54pm
As the man says, "This is a concept that's been around".

The beat goes on

catherine
2-5-24, 8:46pm
I love it. I'd use it every day for my family:

DH: Let's take a trip to Nice. "Sorry, we're loud budgeting."
BIL: My mechanic says I have two bald tires and I don't get paid until Friday. Can you loan me the money?" "Sorry, I'm loud budgeting."
DS: Let's take the kids to DisneyWorld! I'll pay half!" "Sorry, I'm loud budgeting."

bae
2-5-24, 10:24pm
I have saved a fortune so far this year by not buying two camera lenses I really wanted. Super-terrific lenses, but very very expensive, and I have lenses that are ~90% as good. Plus the weather in Jan/Feb here isn't really conducive to using them.

Mountains of cash saved!

happystuff
2-6-24, 9:06am
There had to be a way to catch the attention of younger folks towards budgeting and this seems to be it. I'm glad! Hopefully my kids will see it! (And do it!) LOL

pinkytoe
2-6-24, 12:07pm
I have noticed a lot of growth in the FB and Reddit sphere around the topics of budgeting and being frugal. There is even a Tightwad Gazette FB group. I wish I could persuade DD to jump on board but she married a guy who loves to spend money.

Tradd
2-6-24, 12:59pm
I have noticed a lot of growth in the FB and Reddit sphere around the topics of budgeting and being frugal. There is even a Tightwad Gazette FB group. I wish I could persuade DD to jump on board but she married a guy who loves to spend money.

I’m an active member of the Tightwad Gazette FB group!

pinkytoe
2-6-24, 3:48pm
I haven't joined but glad to know being frugal is back in style.

Rogar
2-7-24, 9:36am
I have saved a fortune so far this year by not buying two camera lenses I really wanted. Super-terrific lenses, but very very expensive, and I have lenses that are ~90% as good. Plus the weather in Jan/Feb here isn't really conducive to using them.

Mountains of cash saved!

I've bought high quality used gear from KEH. Their rating system is conservative and they have a solid reputation. Kind of in the recycle reuse category.

bae
2-18-24, 2:08pm
I've bought high quality used gear from KEH. Their rating system is conservative and they have a solid reputation. Kind of in the recycle reuse category.

I've had great luck with them too, especially for "wacky" lenses of the sort where someone might say "Gosh, that looks cool, I should try that, it has 'unique character'!" and then finds out "Well, that's *too much* character for me". I always look there first for such lenses, and generally receive essentially-new products for a great price. The one time they sent me something that was "off", they happily replaced it.

Two thumbs up!

Tybee
2-18-24, 2:10pm
I think I am going to try a refurbished Apple watch, a 7. It does all the things I need it to do.

Tradd
2-18-24, 4:19pm
I think I am going to try a refurbished Apple watch, a 7. It does all the things I need it to do.

If you can afford an 8, go for it. I usually prefer to go one model down. Current is a 9. I have an 8.

pony mom
2-18-24, 8:24pm
I'm finally trendy.

HappyHiker
3-2-24, 5:42pm
Goody, goody! Would love if others experienced the joy of not being in debt--and not lusting after unnecessary things...