PDA

View Full Version : How old of a used car?

Tradd
2-26-24, 1:17pm
I’m doing some research a good bit in advance.

I have a 2018 Escape with 118K miles. Apparently it’s not uncommon for Escapes of this vintage to have engine issues around 75K-100K, but I’m well past that. I’m hoping it can hold off a couple more years.

I want to replace it with a Subaru Outback. New ones with the heated seats I want are about $35K. Used ones that are 3-4 years with maybe 30K on them are about $25K. Those are all models with the winter package/heated seats, plus Apple Car Play. These two things are non-negotiable. These are all models at local dealerships.

I’ve never even considered a used car before. Always bought new. I drive a LOT during dive season, plus 2500 miles on my annual trips to FL. I can easily drive 200-300 miles over a weekend in the summer.

Given how much I drive, how old of a used car would you consider? I also want more updated safety features, so that means a newer model would be better.

Tybee
2-26-24, 1:21pm
I’m doing some research a good bit in advance.

I have a 2018 Escape with 118K miles. Apparently it’s not uncommon for Escapes of this vintage to have engine issues around 75K-100K, but I’m well past that. I’m hoping it can hold off a couple more years.

I want to replace it with a Subaru Outback. New ones with the heated seats I want are about $35K. Used ones that are 3-4 years with maybe 30K on them are about $25K. Those are all models with the winter package/heated seats, plus Apple Car Play. These two things are non-negotiable. These are all models at local dealerships.

I’ve never even considered a used car before. Always bought new. I drive a LOT during dive season, plus 2500 miles on my annual trips to FL. I can easily drive 200-300 miles over a weekend in the summer.

Given how much I drive, how old of a used car would you consider? I also want more updated safety features, so that means a newer model would be better.

We drive as much as you do and bought a 2016 Subaru Forester this spring--we have heated seats but not Apple Car Play--is that something the dealer can add for you?

Tradd
2-26-24, 1:28pm
We drive as much as you do and bought a 2016 Subaru Forester this spring--we have heated seats but not Apple Car Play--is that something the dealer can add for you?

What was the mileage on the car when you bought it?

What sort of display did you car have? Big screen or some little one? Sometimes it can be added later, but sometimes it takes a ton of reworking the dash, which would have had to be done with my Escape, as I just had a wee little screen for radio/phone calls. Not made to show nav or anything like that.

Alan
2-26-24, 1:42pm

I had a 2008 Escape Hybrid which I drove without major problems for 197,000 miles. I was planning on keeping it till I hit 200,000 but decided against it when the brakes and rotors needed replacing. I know Ford made some changes to that model between 2008 and 2018 but if the later model was as good as the earlier one, I'd hold off replacing for quite some time.

rosarugosa
2-26-24, 1:56pm
Just out of curiosity Tradd, why are heated seats a must? Do they help with back pain or something? I know you've always said you run hot. I tend to run cold and don't particularly like heated seats, so as I said, just curious.

Tradd
2-26-24, 2:01pm
Just out of curiosity Tradd, why are heated seats a must? Do they help with back pain or something? I know you've always said you run hot. I tend to run cold and don't particularly like heated seats, so as I said, just curious.

They help my sciatica immensely. Had them in my old focus.

sweetana3
2-26-24, 2:02pm
Heated seats are just a luxury that I wanted in my new car. Red car, heated seats, and Honda brand. I am pretty easy to please. Friends have a high end BMW with heated and air conditioned seats. Now that is over the top for me.

Oh, we did not choose this but the navigation is also controlled by voice so I can make changes while driving alone. NICE.

Tradd
2-26-24, 2:17pm
I had a 2008 Escape Hybrid which I drove without major problems for 197,000 miles. I was planning on keeping it till I hit 200,000 but decided against it when the brakes and rotors needed replacing. I know Ford made some changes to that model between 2008 and 2018 but if the later model was as good as the earlier one, I'd hold off replacing for quite some time.

Things changed NOT for the good beginning in 2015-2016, from what I’ve been told.

I do a two day drive to FL each way and other long trips. I don’t want to end up stuck with a breakdown.

ApatheticNoMore
2-26-24, 3:17pm
I'm the reverse, I've never owned a new car.

But the used car market lately has been pretty messed up with used cars costing as much or more than new. So buying right now, used doesn't seem such a good deal anymore. But saving 10k as you mentioned, for 3-4 years and 30k mileage (that's very low mileage) well that's significant, so even if the used market is messed up in general, those seem like not bad deals. So I'd probably go with used if it were me, though I don't drive as much.

Tybee
2-26-24, 3:57pm
What was the mileage on the car when you bought it?

What sort of display did you car have? Big screen or some little one? Sometimes it can be added later, but sometimes it takes a ton of reworking the dash, which would have had to be done with my Escape, as I just had a wee little screen for radio/phone calls. Not made to show nav or anything like that.

I think it had around a hundred? We paid 15000 because that's as high as we could go because we wanted to pay cash.

It has the big display screen.

ToomuchStuff
2-26-24, 5:42pm
Things changed NOT for the good beginning in 2015-2016, from what I’ve been told.

I do a two day drive to FL each way and other long trips. I don’t want to end up stuck with a breakdown.

I can tell you new car stories that end in a breakdown. Heck my mother and a friend went on a trip, and the new car she picked up the day before and left in my mothers garage, didn't start when she got back, three days later (electrical problems). Getting stuck doesn't just happen with used.

I tend not to worry about age and just look at the vehicles for what they are and how they have been maintained. I have seen 20 year old cars with 30K from elderly people that really didn't go on the highway much, but those that bought them for general driving and replaced a bunch of the rubber and flushed/filled fluids had no issues, while sixteen year old kids could blow them up by trying to race them and doing no basic maintence.
My main vehicle is a used 2005, that I knew the previous owner (girl that passed that worked for us, and the kids of the prior owners who passed). It now has around 130K and will last me a long time.

catherine
2-26-24, 6:08pm
I don't think "how old" is the only question... did it have only one driver? Or more? What's the mileage? How much maintenance was done? What are the average repair records for that make/model? If you have a trusted mechanic ask them which cars hold up best over time. You could always do a CarFax on a specific car you're looking for.

bae
2-26-24, 10:54pm
I've witnessed the aftermath of lots of auto accidents, and cut open lots of cars to extract the passengers, and I wouldn't put anyone I liked into a pre-2005-ish vehicle (*), they seem much more survivable in crashes due to improved construction/materials in response to changes in auto crash safety testing protocols.

(*) I love cool vintage cars for fun occasional uses, of course, but be informed as to the risk.

Klunick
2-27-24, 10:36am
I normally get a new car because I put at least 120 miles on my car daily with my long work commute. It is also the vehicle we use for vacations so miles rack up quickly. I don't normally get another car until I have at least 300,000 miles on it. This last time, there were no new cars that I liked available. The dealership literally only had a handful of cars on the lot. We ended up going down the street to the used car dealership. Got a 2020 that had been a rental car for two years. I still have 10 years before I can retire so more cars are in my future but I dream of the day that I can get a car and it will be my last.

littlebittybobby
3-12-24, 2:36pm
okay---not using caps any more, to save energy. but yeah----i like my vehicles wreckin' yard fresh. bought a 97-model in 2001 that'd been junked, and drove 'er another 110,000 miles, though it took me 16 years to do it. still got it out back, if i need it, sometime. but yeah---americans are the biggest consumers of nice, clean, safe new stuff in the world. so anyway---be sure ta put lots of lefty prog bufmper stickers on your subbarrooo. yup. thankk mee.

iris lilies
3-12-24, 2:48pm
I've witnessed the aftermath of lots of auto accidents, and cut open lots of cars to extract the passengers, and I wouldn't put anyone I liked into a pre-2005-ish vehicle (*), they seem much more survivable in crashes due to improved construction/materials in response to changes in auto crash safety testing protocols.

(*) I love cool vintage cars for fun occasional uses, of course, but be informed as to the risk.

The government’s regulations have certainly improved certain things but from what my friend told me, those regulations are keeping manufactures from manufacturing small trucks. You can’t get a small truck anymore. It has something to do with government requirement of wheelbase measurement, and corresponding mileage requirement.

This is a bad deal because small trucks like the old Ford Ranger, which is what DH has from 2009 and trucks of that size, are so very handy. So when y’all make fun of rednecks and their big trucks, keep in mind our federal government has some responsibility for that problem.

I really don’t know what DH is going to do when his truck goes kaput. A few years ago he was hit from behind and the insurance company “totaled “the truck but we had it fixed and it’s still going. As I think about it it’s one year older than his last truck, a Nisson, which retired after 14 years

ToomuchStuff
3-12-24, 4:49pm
The government’s regulations have certainly improved certain things but from what my friend told me, those regulations are keeping manufactures from manufacturing small trucks. You can’t get a small truck anymore. It has something to do with government requirement of wheelbase measurement, and corresponding mileage requirement.

This is a bad deal because small trucks like the old Ford Ranger, which is what DH has from 2009 and trucks of that size, are so very handy. So when y’all make fun of rednecks and their big trucks, keep in mind our federal government has some responsibility for that problem.

I really don’t know what DH is going to do when his truck goes kaput. A few years ago he was hit from behind and the insurance company “totaled “the truck but we had it fixed and it’s still going. As I think about it it’s one year older than his last truck, a Nisson, which retired after 14 years

The mileage of small trucks wasn't improving enough for the wheelbase, which is why they moved them to midsize.
Sucks, also sucks that you can't hardly buy a manual transmission.
Personally I was thinking of the Ford Maverick, but since it's fairly new, has had a bunch of recalls while they work out the kinks, I will probably go more towards the Toyota Stout that is going to be coming out. It is using a platform that is used for the Rav4 and the Corolla hybrids.

littlebittybobby
3-12-24, 6:20pm
okay-----not making small trucks, here, any more. very true. usta be, you could get a small truck very cheap, very simple, that would last a long time. so yeah----i recognized that situation, and using my studebaker-buff mentality, have been hoarding used and new s-10 parts for over 20 years. getting ready to put one together, soon. last year, i picked up a really SOLID 6' s-10 bed. yup. they are getting hard to find, specially if you live in some up-north hell hole like iwah. soon as i get underway with this one, i'll post photos. but nooo, it won't be a hot rod; it'll have a COMPLETELY rebuilt ponnyac 2.5 4 cyl, like s-10's came with. yup. hope that helps you some. thankk mee.

iris lilies
3-12-24, 6:46pm
The mileage of small trucks wasn't improving enough for the wheelbase, which is why they moved them to midsize.
Sucks, also sucks that you can't hardly buy a manual transmission.
Personally I was thinking of the Ford Maverick, but since it's fairly new, has had a bunch of recalls while they work out the kinks, I will probably go more towards the Toyota Stout that is going to be coming out. It is using a platform that is used for the Rav4 and the Corolla hybrids.

hey, thanks for this information! I sent our friend who is interested in buying a who is interested in buying a small truck as well as DH an article about the Toyota Stout.

nswef
3-13-24, 10:18am
We donated my husbands 20 year old GMC Sonoma truck, manual transmission last spring and bought a Honda Ridgeline. Much bigger than we need, but he's very happy...I hardly drive it, but hardly drive anyway. I have yet to figure out all the bells and whistles. But we both would have been happy with something smaller that rode as nicely as the Ridgeline.

littlebittybobby
3-19-24, 10:17am
l

littlebittybobby
3-19-24, 10:21am
okay----the wreckin' yard got in a crashed Sonoma, 93-ish. it is very(xxx444)rust-free. so yeah----i got the drivers door; may go back for the other one. the bed is pretty cherry, too. one mans junk is another mans treasure, right?

littlebittybobby
3-20-24, 11:21am
okay-----went backta the wreckin' yard, and got the other clean, rust-free sonoma door. doors are on-sale this week, so i got a deal! so, anyway----the drivers door had had the door glass removed by an idiot(other patron who damages complete assemblies), and the door glass in the right side was shattered. but guess what? there was a blazer there that had rusty, damaged doors w/ good glasses, so i pulled them to go with my nice ones. no extra charge, as doors are sold "complete" see? be nice if the idiots would go by the rules. so, yeah---a nice set of sonoma doors. they do need the vinyl window channel kits, though, which cost more than i paid for the used doors. but, i'll figure something out. no rust, like iwah stuff does. that's the big thing. hope that helps you kids some.

rosarugosa
3-21-24, 6:12am
Bobby, you never did tell us what you do with all these bikes and vehicles. Do you sell them after you refurbish them, or do you collect them?

iris lilies
3-21-24, 11:27am
Bobby, you never did tell us what you do with all these bikes and vehicles. Do you sell them after you refurbish them, or do you collect them?
He has to sell the cats to get money for car parts.

littlebittybobby
3-24-24, 1:52pm
He has to sell the cats to get money for car parts. ahahahahahaaaa! you kids are a riot! you should join antifa, to participate in their peaceful demos. but yeah---i sell stray catts to the asian restaurants, and another side hustle is to shoplift books &cds from the lirrrararry and sell them to used book stores and hock shops. so, anyway----my stuff is a strategy for accumulating wealth, just as building the louvre and filling it with artwork instead of feeding the impoverished was a VERY wise idea. now, paree is a tourist mecca for those who have nothing better to do than fly-n-eat yup.
hope that helps you kids some. thankk mee.

ToomuchStuff
3-25-24, 10:35pm
https://youtu.be/wOy2QCssTaI?si=U3_jvixurtj57EAf

Here you go, thank meeeeeee.

littlebittybobby
3-26-24, 7:01pm
okay----tyvm for your contribution, toomuch,whatever it is. but yeah-----i am much too busy saving file cabinets and classic auto parts , etc., from being "recycled", repurposing them & giving them new life, to sit-n-watch cartoons! sorry. yup. why is it that 99.9% of people who disagree with littlebittymee use cartoons and mooo-vees and tee-vee to make their case? no need to answer. ha. but yeah----found one set of new casters stored away in my files, ordered 3 more sets. so, yah----that's a project, right there. also, will be pulling the gas tank offa my classic packard and the rear springs offa my van & doing some YARD WORK! soon as it dries out here in a day or so. hope that helps you some. thankk mee.

littlebittybobby
4-11-24, 9:23pm
okay-----well, guess what? copla things i think i'll mention without going into depth and writing a book. 1) As I said elsewhere, I gota thinking y'know I've GOT a g80 Eaton limited-slip differential I pulled at a wreckin' yard more than a quarter of century ago, stored out back. so yah---I retrieved it and like I also said elsewhere on this board--took it downtown to have a couple new carrier bearing pressed on. Those G80's were used in many GM light trucks and vans for about 50 years! So it's not some obsolete-in-several-years gadget like summa these consumers buy. Nope. So yeah---I'm gonna use it with that Van-in-poor-condition I got last fall & been rehabbing. I had a rear stabilizer for a 98 Suburban that I pulled from the wreckin' yard last year, but it is a no-go, difficult fitment to an 87, which mine is. But I got ta comparing it to the underside of the van ,and heck---that will work without too much hassle. Some, but not too much. So, lucky mee! Okay, I gota thinkin'--since I found out 73-87+ pickup front stabilizers will work on a van, why not find a 1-ton bar(1 1/4 dia) and use that? Well, they are in short supply and one has yet to turn up at the wreckin' yard, I decided to use the 1 1/4 bar off the front of a 1-ton that I have which is a back-burner project. So, yeah---that's what I'll do. Then, when another 1-ton bar turns up, I'll snag it and maybe another when it turns up. See what I mean by keeping a good supply of spare parts? The crusher is "recycling" (Ha) these old cars as fast as possible, so better stock up. Hope that helps you kids some. Thankk mee. 5806

littlebittybobby
5-15-24, 10:59am
okay-----here's a photo of a sales guy at a wreckin' yard waaaay down in Texcess, where everything is bigger & better & therefore, more expensive. but yeah---it's worth it, ain't it, cause it's Texcess. see? but yeah---he's got an old 68 Merc-O-ree he's tryin' ta get rid of, (maybe sell ta some yankee up north) and i thought you kids might be interested. yup. (see photo). so anyway---does it run? that i don't know. maybe. fer sure does need work, tho. but, that's the fun part, steada just driving the wheels offa them till they fall off, and then "trade"(get screwed) & start all over. yup. hope that helps you some.5869