PDA

View Full Version : Where do you get online news?

pinkytoe
10-14-24, 11:44am
I am finding it harder and harder to find basic news stories online that are still free or if free they are targeted to one's searches, ie redundant empty time-wasters. I had NYT and WSJ for a while but they too have political slants and targeted articles. I had the online local paper but it has gotten too expensive to justify taking anymore. Where do you get news?

iris lilies
10-14-24, 12:11pm
I recently discovered that our city library system has the CURRENT digital cover -to-cover St. Louis Post Dispatch available to,cardholders. It is 3 clicks to the content. This is a lifesaver for me because
I want to see coverage of certain news stories.

it is not easy to read the big pages on my IPAD mini, but it works for the select news stories I want to read. PLUS (and this is wonderful!) the content is indexed.

For instance, there’s a lot of bullshit going on with St. Louis public schools at the moment and I want to read those stories but I don’t care about the other bullshit going on in St. Louis.

so I would say maybe fully explore what your local library has available? I say this because at this time last year the current edition of our city newspaper was not available at the library. I thought I knew what they had, but somebody pointed out that current news is now available.

Tradd
10-14-24, 12:56pm
BBC, NPR. I have the Apple News app on my phone and there are lots of free sources it pulls from. It’s a news aggregator.

I have a digital subscription to the Economist. Pricey, but well worth it. I also currently have the NYT.

Local TV news stations are good for local stuff.

catherine
10-14-24, 1:50pm
I agree that these days it's increasingly hard to get "fair and balanced" news no matter what political persuasion you are. I have NYT and WSJ online, and, like Tradd, I follow Apple News. I also like to go to international news sources, like BBC and Al-Jazeera. when I was traveling to Europe frequently, I learned that you can get a whole different perspective about US issues from foreign sources.

BTW, for you guys who follow Mr. Money Mustache, he had a very good analysis of the predominant economic messages that are influencing voting choices today. I felt he was quite objective and had good reasoning in the article. https://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2024/10/13/economics-vs-politics/

Tradd
10-14-24, 7:00pm
BBC Radio has a FAB podcast called Americast. There’s a few episodes a week, usually about 30 min each. Highly recommend it. If you get it from the BBC Sounds app, there’s no ads, unlike if you get it through Apple’s Podcast app or the like.

rosarugosa
10-15-24, 8:43am
I agree that these days it's increasingly hard to get "fair and balanced" news no matter what political persuasion you are. I have NYT and WSJ online, and, like Tradd, I follow Apple News. I also like to go to international news sources, like BBC and Al-Jazeera. when I was traveling to Europe frequently, I learned that you can get a whole different perspective about US issues from foreign sources.

BTW, for you guys who follow Mr. Money Mustache, he had a very good analysis of the predominant economic messages that are influencing voting choices today. I felt he was quite objective and had good reasoning in the article. https://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2024/10/13/economics-vs-politics/

Funny, Catherine, I go to that forum every day, but he posts so infrequently now that I don't even think to check for new posts. Thanks for bringing it to my attention!

happystuff
10-15-24, 9:38am
I generally skim through headlines that show up on the Yahoo or MSN home pages. I haven't watched regular news in a long, long time. It was just making me too depressed. I have, however, recently started watching some BBC news (on PlutoTV).

Tradd
10-15-24, 10:21am
I generally skim through headlines that show up on the Yahoo or MSN home pages. I haven't watched regular news in a long, long time. It was just making me too depressed. I have, however, recently started watching some BBC news (on PlutoTV).

Watching the news and reading/listening to it are totally different things. I’ve read that getting news in forms other than watching seems to help people with anxiety. I’m a totally news junkie from a very young age and frankly don’t understand the people who get so anxious from it, but I read/listen to news.

iris lilies
10-15-24, 11:27am

we just do not have tv on all day. I haven’t watched local tv news in 30 years, and I do not remember ever watching national news as an adult.

Yes, those of use who do not deliberately watch or listen to newscasts pick up on what is happening in the world thru headlines that scroll over our devices or discussions like here, on this forum.

And then, if I want to pursue a news story in some depth I do that, searching it out.

Rogar
10-15-24, 12:41pm
I can get most of what I need from the NYT and NPR. Also Colorado Public Radio. I occasionally have to hold my nose at the coastal elite that show up in the NYT, but consider NPR to be relatively fair. I've not found a one that is in exact center of things and totally trustworthy, so one has to pick and take things for what they are. I suppose people tend to pick news that reinforces their philosophies (or visa versa). I have repeatedly managed to renew my NYT subscription for $4 a month. The Hill covers some odd political topics and is generally free and host a variety of opinions.

happystuff
10-16-24, 11:18am
Watching the news and reading/listening to it are totally different things. I’ve read that getting news in forms other than watching seems to help people with anxiety. I’m a totally news junkie from a very young age and frankly don’t understand the people who get so anxious from it, but I read/listen to news.

I can believe this. I think that it is easier for me to read/scroll than to actually sit and watch.

happystuff
10-16-24, 11:20am
we just do not have tv on all day. I haven’t watched local tv news in 30 years, and I do not remember ever watching national news as an adult.

Yes, those of use who do not deliberately watch or listen to newscasts pick up on what is happening in the world thru headlines that scroll over our devices or discussions like here, on this forum.

And then, if I want to pursue a news story in some depth I do that, searching it out.

Considering we don't have any paid tv at all (no cable or subscriptions, etc.), I'm surprised how often I have something playing on tv as a background. Just not news. lol

Rogar
10-16-24, 3:11pm
I'm not a big TV fan, but a lot of my days I catch the evening national news (antennae TV), usually ABC with David Muir which usually starts with, "Good evening America. We have breaking news just as we're coming on the air." I get more information from reading, but I like the visuals, and they are pretty good at showing extreme weather events.

pinkytoe
10-16-24, 5:25pm
I grew up with my Mom coming home from work and turning on the evening news. She had a thing for Harry Reasoner. Anyway, it is ingrained in me to turn on the network evening news if I am home. I went ahead and resubscribed to the NYT to fulfill my yen for reading while having morning coffee. The aggregator sites are just too mind-numbing.

KayLR
10-16-24, 5:39pm
I read my local independent, family-owned newspaper (which I used to work for) The Columbian. I know the editorial staff is left-leaning, but they truly do try and bring in columnists from the right side in for balance. They print letters to the editor from both sides. They print AP national and world news reporting. I also have the AP app on my phone and read news (usually breaking) from their reporters.

I never watch the news on TV.

Tradd
10-20-24, 8:23pm
If you prefer to listen to your news, both The NY Times and the WSJ both have free daily news podcasts. The WSJ has an an and pm edition weekdays. They’re free in whatever podcast app you use.