PDA

View Full Version : I ONLY read Non-Fiction Books.

littlebittybobby
10-20-24, 8:27pm
Like it says. Why waste time on novels?; I have important things to do. Yup.

Alan
10-20-24, 8:48pm
I only read fiction plus heavy doses of news and commentary, but I repeat myself.

littlebittybobby
10-20-24, 11:42pm
I read "The Shining"(King) and "Looking For Mr Goodbar"(Rossner) and "The Deep"(Benchley)and "Catcher in the Rye"(Salinger; which was boring) all over 40 years ago, and have not read a novel, since. Only REALITY books. No Harry Pooter, for me. Nope.

rosarugosa
10-21-24, 6:08am
"Fiction is the great lie that tells the truth about how the world lives!" - Abraham Verghese, The Covenant of Water

I read both, but as you all know I lean heavily toward fiction.

catherine
10-21-24, 7:33am
Great quote, rosa. I lean toward non-fiction, but I'm reading more fiction these days. There are so many lessons to be learned in fiction. They say humans learn through stories, and adopt cultural beliefs though stories. That's why Greek/Roman/Norse mythology has lasted so long.

frugal-one
10-21-24, 2:35pm
I usually read non-fiction too but lately have delved into a few novels. It is good to change it up once in a while!

LDAHL
10-21-24, 5:10pm
“The difference between fiction and non-fiction is that fiction must be absolutely believable”, or so Mark Twain said.

I think a healthy diet should include both. Why treat your reading life as if you were cramming for a test?

littlebittybobby
10-22-24, 10:57am
okay----here's something that is really annoying. Faux Non-Fiction(see Photo). Oswald's tale(by Mailer) is another one--faux non-fiction. If I was in charge, we'd have book-burnings, on a regular basis. Also, the faux-non-fiction moo-vvee "JFK". Yup. Hope that helps you some.6092

iris lilies
10-22-24, 11:42am
okay----here's something that is really annoying. Faux Non-Fiction(see Photo). Oswald's tale(by Mailer) is another one--faux non-fiction. If I was in charge, we'd have book-burnings, on a regular basis. Also, the faux-non-fiction moo-vvee "JFK". Yup. Hope that helps you some.6092

yea! BURN THOSE BOOKS full of inaccuracies! Get on the Biden team that determines ultimate truth because that group wants to be the final arbiter of truthiness.

Rogar
10-22-24, 2:05pm
I once heard on some broadcast that I had taken as reliable from a doctor who claimed older people tend to read more non-fiction because they have trouble keeping up with a complicated fiction plot. At least to me, some real life reads like fiction and visa versa. A reason I like Steven King is because he can make wild fiction seem almost real. I read both. Some non-fiction is easy, but most winters I try to pick a non-fiction book that is a challenging read for those long cold dark nights.

iris lilies
10-22-24, 3:01pm
I once heard on some broadcast that I had taken as reliable from a doctor who claimed older people tend to read more non-fiction because they have trouble keeping up with a complicated fiction plot. At least to me, some real life reads like fiction and visa versa. A reason I like Steven King is because he can make wild fiction seem almost real. I read both. Some non-fiction is easy, but most winters I try to pick a non-fiction book that is a challenging read for those long cold dark nights.

I don’t like plot driven fiction and yeah, I suppose it could be said that I can’t keep up with it because I’m old, but sometimes I can’t keep up with it because I simply don’t care. Like the other day I watched a fictional TV show and it was a murder mystery. Three days late there I was talking to my friend about it and I couldn’t remember who did it because – I did not care.

I read fiction for character development.

We’re going to see Macbeth this weekend and I skimmed a summary of it and my God. Way too much plotting . I’m gonna be bored out of my mind .

catherine
10-22-24, 6:17pm
We’re going to see Macbeth this weekend and I skimmed a summary of it and my God. Way too much plotting . I’m gonna be bored out of my mind .

Come on. It's Shakespeare. MacBeth is a character study in my mind.

rosarugosa
10-23-24, 6:29am
MacBeth is wonderful, although I've only read the play, never saw it on stage. Lucky you!

iris lilies
10-23-24, 8:28am
Come on. It's Shakespeare. MacBeth is a character study in my mind.
You are right, once I really get into it. I was just skimming a summary and it was so much “this happened. Then this happened. Then this person murdered this person. And then these people murdered these this person”

I should probably read a few character summaries rather than plot summaries.

We had a little theater person stay with us for a few nights, one of the Macbeth performers. The community theater here uses pro and semi-pro actors, and finds places for them to stay in homes during the time of performances, largely because prices for overnight accommodation are INSANE during Oktoberfest here.

iris lilies
10-23-24, 8:30am
MacBeth is wonderful, although I've only read the play, never saw it on stage. Lucky you!
We also went to a performance of E.A. Poe works last weekend. I couldn’t hear a damn thing, they should have had the performer on microphone, but the atmosphere was gorgeous. She did all of Poe’s works from memory.

Am going to the audiologist next month. I expect a hearing aid is in order.

LDAHL
10-23-24, 2:39pm
We also went to a performance of E.A. Poe works last weekend. I couldn’t hear a damn thing, they should have had the performer on microphone, but the atmosphere was gorgeous. She did all of Poe’s works from memory.

Am going to the audiologist next month. I expect a hearing aid is in order.

I annoyed the hell out of my kid dadsplaining all the Poe tropes and references while we watched “The Fall of the House of Usher”.

littlebittybobby
10-23-24, 7:43pm
okay----I been readin' non-fiction books for years. I don't invest an excessive amount of time with my nose in a book, but I read at a steady pace, when the time is right. So anyway---I forgot to update you kids with summa the titles I've read that last few years. Like---one was about the would-be hijacking of flight 705, out of Memphis, in 1994. The deal is, it was a Fedex plane, with just four employees on board. The perp caused lots of damage, and is still locked up, as he should be. He had the audacity to write & ask YoBamma for a pardon, but nope. You'll hafta read the book, for the details. It's an incredible story, but I don't recollect hearing abouit the incident, at the time.