PDA

View Full Version : Introverts will understand this.....

gimmethesimplelife
7-5-11, 5:23am
This early AM as I type this I am not feeling especially good about myself as I promised several people I would be active in the July 4th parade up here at the North Rim of the Grand Canyon, and also promised a couple of people that I would bring a DVD with me to watch a movie after.....I found myself completely exhausted and knew that it would be a struggle do either or both, so I offered a few apologies and took a long nap (seven hours). Looking at this, I realize I should have known better as I have been not honoring my need for time alone much lately, this is what happens when I neglect to do this.......So on the one hand, a life lesson, on the other hand, why do I overschedule myself when I know better?????? UGGGGGH! Feeling better though now that I took some time for me, and I will do so tomorrow also on my day off. Rob of the North Rim

Kestra
7-5-11, 8:14am
Yep, I understand. Just cancelled a volunteer thing that I thought I could do this Friday, but it's 9 hrs outside at 28C plus humidity with dozens of people. I did an unrelated volunteer thing a week ago that was only outside for 2 hours with tons of people and that just wiped me out for the day. Need to pick and chose the right type of activities/volunteering for what is suitable for me and in relation to other things I have going on.

jania
7-5-11, 9:40am
Sometimes I get an idea that I'll have lots of emotional energy for extra "fun" but the reality of the day comes and it's just not going to happen. Good for you Rob for respecting your boundaries and taking the time to let others know you had to cancel, rather than just not showing up. Take care.

libby
7-5-11, 9:58am
I totally understand. Good for you on taking care of yourself!

redfox
7-5-11, 10:14am
Speaking as an extrovert - I would much prefer that the introverts in my life take care of themselves, so that when we hang out, they are able to be present and have fun, not feeling obligated, resentful, exhausted & shut down. So right on, Rob!

Sissy
7-5-11, 1:56pm
ITU! I have CFS and I cannot go and do all the time. I just pretty much don't plan stuff anymore.

I do wish my grown children would learn that I need quiet and space. They seem to be at my house from 5 p.m. until 9:00 nearly every nite and most of the weekend. I do take many long naps on the weekend even if they are there. I really don't know what to do about it because my dd is 8 mo pregnant and needs a break, too. Her hubby is not much help with the 18 mo old that is running around. I really want to give her some time to chill, but I am just soooo tired! (oh, and they are messies, gr....)

gimmethesimplelife
7-5-11, 8:55pm
Speaking as an extrovert - I would much prefer that the introverts in my life take care of themselves, so that when we hang out, they are able to be present and have fun, not feeling obligated, resentful, exhausted & shut down. So right on, Rob!Thank you for understanding as an extrovert Redfox - I was feeling exactly that - resentful, obligated, and shut down.....Amazing how some time for myself completely alone grounds and centers me and makes me once again present. Rob