PDA

View Full Version : Casey Anthony not guilty.........very curious

CathyA
7-5-11, 7:55pm
I haven't been obsessed with this case, but kept my eye on what was happening every so often.
I'm hearing that the defense only had circumstantial stuff and really no evidence.
But what do you do with the fact that this woman was out partying while her daughter was missing? How do you deal with the fact that she didn't even tell her parents (the dead child's grandparents) that she was missing for a long time? What about the lies about everything???

I heard that the prosecution might have gotten more of what they wanted, had they not made it the death penalty, since some people don't want to be responsible for someone's death. (But isn't that asked when they are being interviewed for jurors?)

I would love to know what kind of a child Casey was when she was young.......did she lie all the time? Did she have any kind of bizarre behavior? But I guess you can't ask those things in a trial.

Its all very strange. I'm feeling sort of like I did when O.J. got acquitted. :(

Juicifer
7-5-11, 8:22pm
I was following this case off and on. The fact that Casey's parents left sort of tells me enough. My only guess is that she got very lucky with the circumstantial evidence and got away with it.
I hope that there will be justice for this child. One day.

HappyHiker
7-5-11, 8:30pm
I only saw the trial on occasion while on the treadmill at the gym--some of the other gym goers were obsessed with the case...don't know what to think about the verdict..the whole thing has left a bad taste in my mouth...that poor little girl gone, and the truth will never come out...seems there were untruths told by all parties...what really happened is shrouded in mystery wrapped in an enigma...

janharker
7-5-11, 8:44pm
I thought of OJ, too.

Tiam
7-5-11, 8:48pm
I'm so glad it's over whatever the verdict. Watching the media sharks whip up the hysteria is sickening.

loosechickens
7-5-11, 9:10pm
It's always important to remember that "not guilty" does NOT mean "innocent", but only that the prosecution was not able to PROVE the murder beyond a reasonable doubt. And in this case, the length of time before the body was found was long enough to destroy DNA evidence, no one was able to place Casey Anthony at a murder scene, or even where the body was found, and unfortunately, in our system, SHE didn't have to prove anything at all.

Now, despite the fact that she was found Not Guilty, I'm sure that for the rest of her life, she will be seen, just as O.J. has been, with scorn by most, but..........

It's hard in a state that has the death penalty, to get a conviction of a pretty, white, middle-class suburban young mother, who seems "just like us", even WITH more direct evidence, and with only circumstantial evidence, and no direct proof, which is a very different thing, she's going to walk.

I'm o.k. with allowing karma to do its work over time. I suspect this young woman is not going to have such a "Bella Vita" as she thought.

Do most think she was involved? Of course. But proving that in a court of law was a much more difficult thing for the prosecution with no DNA evidence, and no way to connect the mother with the child's death directly, despite all the things that "pointed" in that direction. She's clearly a pathological liar, clearly an incredibly self absorbed person, and clearly probably not someone you would view as a person of character or integrity, but that can't get her the death penalty, no matter how much she might "deserve" it.......

iris lily
7-5-11, 9:23pm
I thought the attention given to this case was absurd.

It's likely that she did it, but the prosecution didn't prove that. There are "unsolved" murder cases all over the country because the prosecution doesn't have enough evidence to bring charges, but the cops usually know who did it.

Many people find the ambiguity of a case outcome like this to be an indictment of our legal system, but me--nope. The legal system worked even if the outcome wasn't the right one.

What's really bad in our current society is that Ms. Anthony will go out and write books and charge hefty fees to be on talk shows and to consult on The Casey Anthony Storytm. OTOH she's got a pretty high profile as a killer and I would bet that she'll have to spend some of that $$$ on bodyguards.

I just hope that some star-struck love-sick idiot man with children doesn't decide to pledge undying love to Ms. Anthony because how'd ya like to have that as a stepmom?

benhyr
7-5-11, 9:50pm
This thread almost has me interested enough to hit up Google to figure out who you're all talking about... almost.

redfox
7-5-11, 10:52pm
NYT has an interesting article about it all.

Tiam
7-6-11, 12:05am
I know I am not required to watch, and I am free to turn away, but Nancy Grace's antics and theatrics make a mockery of this child's life and death. It's so disgusting.

WorldFoodie
7-6-11, 1:32am
This reminds me immensely of the Sam Sheppard case in Ohio in the 1950s. Lots of suspects with motives, but no real resolution, ever. Anyone recall that case and it's history?

goldensmom
7-6-11, 6:30am
The only thing the verdict proved was that the prosecution did not meet the burden of proof, i.e. prove the charges beyond a reasonable doubt. Different charges may have resulted in a different verdict. This type of incident happens often throughout the US and the world. As it occurred in Florida, I would have not heard of it if it were not for the constant media attention and hype. In my neck of the woods, there is a missing 4 month old, clothing found, last seen with father, father found no baby yet--- anyone hear of it on CNN/HLN/FOX etc.?

pinkytoe
7-6-11, 9:20am
I think it is gross that this case got so much media attention. The mother will suffer the rest of her miserable life living under intense scrutiny and public scorn.

kfander
7-6-11, 9:42am
I have the feeling she was guilty of something, and probably some pretty horrible things, but I don't think the prosecution proved their case, and the burden of proof was on them. It was a good call on the part of the jury.

iris lily
7-6-11, 10:33am
The only thing the verdict proved was that the prosecution did not meet the burden of proof, i.e. prove the charges beyond a reasonable doubt. Different charges may have resulted in a different verdict. This type of incident happens often throughout the US and the world. As it occurred in Florida, I would have not heard of it if it were not for the constant media attention and hype. In my neck of the woods, there is a missing 4 month old, clothing found, last seen with father, father found no baby yet--- anyone hear of it on CNN/HLN/FOX etc.?

Kids go missing all the time, done in by their parents.

It was just 2 months ago that a 2 year old was found in a dumpster by one of our little houses. Everyone claimed that the mom was a good mom, would never hurt her boy, yadda yadda but still the cops arrested her after a few days.

Two year olds don't normally have enemies, and so it's always a parent or someone known by the parent who is to blame.

Glo
7-6-11, 11:29am
Justice has not been served. I believe she killed her child and got away with it. Now she'll have the life she wanted with lots of money to boot. Such a shame!

Wildflower
7-6-11, 4:54pm
I believe she got away with murder, plain and simple. While I understand the prosecution wasn't able to prove her guilt beyond a reasonable doubt, it sickens me to think she is probably going to walk free. I believe in karma though and I think she will eventually get her just due...

CathyA
7-6-11, 5:42pm
I just watched a recent show about the case. Made me think more about it. I think her family is so dysfunctional, that its possible that Casey is really damaged. Thinking that way, I wonder if the child did die in the swimming pool and the father came down hard on her to keep it a secret....perhaps because he wasn't watching her well enough. If she really is a victim of sexual abuse, it might explain her odd behavior of hiding her feelings, lying, promiscuity, being under the thumb of her parents, etc.

I thought the duct tape was a sign of murder (suffocation) ..... but today I heard some things that made me think it might have been used to keep her jaw up, since I think the body was decomposing before it was even buried.

At first, I thought the jury was nuts.......but when you think about it, they were doing the job the way it should be done, regardless of their "gut" feelings.
I've listened to the prosecutor on several shows today and he did a good job of not getting into emotional thinking or sour grapes.

It was a very interesting case, full of all sorts of twists and turns. I would love to know the real truth.

CathyA
7-7-11, 12:11pm
If Casey Anthony is the sociopath people think she is, I think she'll show her hand in the future. It sure seemed like her lawyer totally believed her. What a shock it might be for him in the future, if the truth is revealed. And I thought I had a dysfunctional family growing up!
What a great case study for psychologists!

Bronxboy
7-7-11, 8:11pm
Once a media circus like this is created, especially with cameras in the courtroom, strange things happen.

While I haven't followed the story closely, examples of strange things from this and past cases include:

1. Police make arrests and prosecutors bring cases that aren't ready for court because of public pressure.
2. Chief prosecutors (basically administrators) choose to bring cases themselves when their staff would do a better job.
3. Jurors simply decide they won't convict in hope of their 15 minutes of fame.
4. Witnesses clam up or simply never come forward, likely as not because their own misdeeds will become public once they end up on TV.

The surprise is not that Casey Anthony didn't get convicted, it is that anybody is ever convicted in these cases.

Greg44
7-7-11, 8:28pm
Boy did this ever remind me of OJ - I only watched coverage a couple times - while munching on my Egg McMuffin at McDonalds. They talked about how the area was becoming a tourist attraction.

Okay...I can't believe we did this. Back in OJ days, my FIL said that seems we were going to be in LA...yes, we went to OJ's house (even a year after, street was still allowed only local traffic - so we had to walk up the street) then we drove over to Nicole's condo. What was amazing was that even not knowing where we were going, in 4pm traffic we got there in just a few minutes - which was a huge deal during the trial.

Greg44
7-7-11, 9:07pm
This trial also reminded me of the Diane Downs trial here locally. She literally lived around the corner about 2 blocks away. I don't remember her trial being a big deal nationally, but it sure was locally and of course later there was Anne Rule's book Small Sacrafices and the made for TV movie. What drives people to kill their own children is just beyond me. She was convicted - but of course still declares her innocense.

I remember running into her at the local "Bi-Mart" she was buying christmas gifts for her surviving children - one of whom later testified she was the one who shot her...so bazare.

Tiam
7-7-11, 9:25pm
Kids go missing all the time, done in by their parents.

It was just 2 months ago that a 2 year old was found in a dumpster by one of our little houses. Everyone claimed that the mom was a good mom, would never hurt her boy, yadda yadda but still the cops arrested her after a few days.

Two year olds don't normally have enemies, and so it's always a parent or someone known by the parent who is to blame.

A perfect example of who the press chooses to focus on. I blame that monster Nancy Grace. I'm sorry, but I do.

Tiam
7-7-11, 9:26pm
This trial also reminded me of the Diane Downs trial here locally. She literally lived around the corner about 2 blocks away. I don't remember her trial being a big deal nationally, but it sure was locally and of course later there was Anne Rule's book Small Sacrafices and the made for TV movie. What drives people to kill their own children is just beyond me. She was convicted - but of course still declares her innocense.

I remember running into her at the local "Bi-Mart" she was buying christmas gifts for her surviving children - one of whom later testified she was the one who shot her...so bazare.

It would have been in this age.

Alan
7-7-11, 9:30pm
A perfect example of who the press chooses to focus on. I blame that monster Nancy Grace. I'm sorry, but I do.
I understand that ABC paid her $200,000 over a year ago for certain rights. I wonder if they got their money's worth?

iris lily
7-8-11, 7:20am

Wow, Greg! Small Sacrifices is always among the top ten "best true crime" books.

I probably read it, but don't remember it, but will look into it again.

Spartana
7-8-11, 12:17pm
Its all very strange. I'm feeling sort of like I did when O.J. got acquitted. :(

In the OJ case there was actually a mound of physical evidence (hair, fibers, blood, shoe prints, witness's like Kato and other's, even the gloves) and circumstantial evidence as well as a history of violence and stalking towards Nicole Simpson and Oj's bizzare behavior right after the murders. More than enough evidence to show "beyond a resonable doubt" that he could have done it IMHO. However, in the Anthony case there was no physical evidence at all linking Casey to the killing - and no way to determine the cause of death either - and no way to link her to anything at all except her bizzarre behavior after Caylee went missing - and that bizzare behavior alone isn't enough to convict someone of murder. The state didn't met the "burden of proof" needed for a conviction of murder or even manslaughter. So even though I personally think she has some culpability in Caylee's death, I believe the jurors made the right call.

Reyes
7-8-11, 8:54pm
So even though I personally think she has some culpability in Caylee's death, I believe the jurors made the right call.

My thoughts exactly.

JaneV2.0
7-8-11, 10:41pm
My beloved used to joke about having a crush on Diane Downs. At least I think he was joking. Sociopaths often have a certain charm, but still...http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-shocked003.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys.php)

loosechickens
7-9-11, 12:07am
Sociopaths are often VERY charming, and psychopaths even more so......it's what makes them so dangerous. Even when they are lying their heads off and you can SEE that they are lying their heads off, somehow, when they do it, you still believe them.

One thing for sure, Casey Anthony is enough of a sociopath that I doubt very seriously that she will disappear into the background with a new name, new hair color and perhaps some plastic surgery, to lead a productive and uneventful life. That need for attention, the living on the edge, the belief in her own ability to lie and then lie some more and get away with it, will surely trip her up, over and over throughout life.

Somehow, I doubt this woman is going to escape karma, and one way or another, will stay embroiled in the karma from this affair, although hopefully, (probably an empty hope), we won't have to be treated to minute by minute accounts of it for years.

janharker
7-9-11, 9:52pm
At the moment she needs some income. Can't file for unemployment, since she hasn't had a job. Welfare, I suppose, is a possibility. Because, after all, who's going to hire her? And, for that matter, who's going to even rent a Section 8 to her? Her parents have evidently walked out on her. She's got a rough road directly in front of her.