PDA

View Full Version : kindle and cheap books

kally
7-7-11, 2:24pm
nearly 100% of my books come from the library or second hand places or bookcrossing or loaners or gifts. I am just not a book buyer.

Our library has kindles and I am trying one out. How do you think they work for people like me who are not going to buy new books. Are there other cheap options?

sweetana3
7-7-11, 2:46pm
I dont think they will ever work for me. I get books from so many sources and dont really care about the quality only readability. It might be nice on a trip to have a bunch on the device but it would cost to get the ones I want and often I have borrowed books. I also lend out my books or just give them away so this whole sharing thing would be gone.

While nifty and cool, it does not work as a thrifty source for reading material. Maybe in 10-20 years when that is the only option.

crunchycon
7-7-11, 3:23pm
There are inexpensive options - I don't have a Kindle, but I do have a Nook. Barnes & Noble has free and very cheap books on their website - some are classics, others are non-fiction, some are light reading. You can download free ebooks from the Internet as well (check out the Gutenberg Project). As you're borrowing your Kindle from your library, I imagine you'll be able to download e-books from your library for no charge.

One thing I like about the Nook is the use of the epub format for ebooks, which is quite easy to find. I can also download pdfs and word docs to read on my e-reader as well. My understanding is that Kindle books use a proprietary format, which is less flexible than epub, but I believe Amazon is addressing that if they haven't already.

jennipurrr
7-7-11, 3:31pm
I recently acquired an Ipad and have the Kindle, Nook and iBooks apps. Can you tell I like to read? There are tons of free or cheap books out there if you aren't super picky or have to have a book right when it comes out. There are some websites out there that post new free finds. I had been jonesing for one of the ereaders, but didn't want to pay for one, and I got the Ipad for work. I don't know if it will ever be cost effective to acquiring books your way, but so far I have been very pleased.

Mrs. Hermit
7-7-11, 4:32pm
I have a kindle. My library can lend books on Kindle, and there are a lot of free ebooks both on Amazon and through several websites. I do buy more new books now with my Kindle, but I usually wait for a promotion and get them in the 99 cents-2 dollar range.

Gizmo
7-7-11, 5:28pm
There are inexpensive options - I don't have a Kindle, but I do have a Nook. Barnes & Noble has free and very cheap books on their website - some are classics, others are non-fiction, some are light reading. You can download free ebooks from the Internet as well (check out the Gutenberg Project). As you're borrowing your Kindle from your library, I imagine you'll be able to download e-books from your library for no charge.

One thing I like about the Nook is the use of the epub format for ebooks, which is quite easy to find. I can also download pdfs and word docs to read on my e-reader as well. My understanding is that Kindle books use a proprietary format, which is less flexible than epub, but I believe Amazon is addressing that if they haven't already.

I have a kindle. I still can download epub books, and put them on my kindle - I just use a converter program to turn them into pdfs or mobi files that the kindle can read.

Also, Amazon does LOADS of free book promotions. If you watch those you can get some very good books for free. The only downside is you have to check alot to get the good books, which I don't do. I have a friend who DOES have the time, and lets me know when I good book is available.

The other site I get free books from is Smashwords. Upcoming authors, and even established authors, put books out there for free/low cost in order to get feedback. I've gotten free books from established authors that are test running book concepts, as well as free novels/novellas/short stories from upcoming authors that are looking to gain an audience.

IshbelRobertson
7-7-11, 6:08pm
I always said that I would not want a kindle. However, for Christmas last year, my husband bought me one (G3 model) simply because my arthritis meant that I found that many of the blockbuster type novels were too heavy to hold and turn pages.

I SAW THE LIGHT! I love the thing! I've bought at least 250 books for my Kindle via Amazon. I've also downloaded many books from Gutenberg - free!

I have to confess, I found the tablet format difficult to use as a 'book' - but then I bought a kindle cover and, although the text appears only on the right hand 'page' - it is much more comfortable and normal for me to use.

I wouldn't be without it. When I have travelled abroad, up to half my luggage allowanced has been for books - Now? The Kindle takes care of it all!

puglogic
7-7-11, 11:31pm
Dunno. Though I work in technology, I'm not interested in acquiring another device - the cost to purchase, to fix, to power, to replace. To fear dropping, getting wet, getting stolen.

From a frugality standpoint, I get almost 100% of my books for free; I am only ever reading 1 or 2 at a time, so being able to access a zillion at a time and carry them around with me really isn't a big draw. Also, most of the books I read are very specific - I often have to get them from ILL and they aren't likely to be on Kindle. So, not appropriate for me.

Let me know what you discover, kally. I'm really not attracted to yet another electronic thing in my life - I'm going the other way, away from needful things like gadgets. Just me though, and maybe I'm not thinking of something.

loosechickens
7-7-11, 11:41pm
The Nook is compatible with ePub that libraries use now, and Kindles can use a converter program for ePub that converts the book into a PDF that the Kindle can read. And sometime later this summer, Kindle is going to provide Kindle owners with the ability to download library books directly. At the moment, since their software is proprietary, there's been a problem, but since Nook has that selling point, Amazon is being forced to compete and provide that ability for Kindles as well.

It really isn't an either/or question to me. I still get "dead tree" books from the library, I still buy used books, and still exchange books with friends. I've bought a few books for my Kindle, and have enjoyed many more that I was able to download for free. I've had a great summer downloading and reading many of the classics, from Sherlock Holmes to Charles Dickens, Jane Austen and others.......I'm getting ready to do F. Scott Fitzgerald's Jazz Stories now, and didn't have to pay a cent for any of them.

I love, love, love, love my Kindle. It won't replace "dead tree" books for me, but as an addition, has been well worth the cost. And since it slips right into my purse, no matter where I find myself, I have any number of choices of books to read, already downloaded and ready.

And, for the occasional one I want to buy.....the experience of sitting in a Home Depot parking lot listening to NPR discuss a new book with the author, and whipping out my Kindle, turning it on, using the wireless connection to access Amazon, typing in the book's title, hitting "buy now", and be sitting in the Home Depot parking lot starting to read the book while the interview was still going on????? Priceless!!!!!!!

herbgeek
7-8-11, 6:32am
I've toyed on and off with the idea of getting a Kindle. I already had a ipod touch that I use for a lot of other things for travel, so I downloaded the Kindle app there, so I can read books on vacation using a device I'd already have with me. The only advantage to the Kindle (besides a larger screen size) is the ability to read in bright sunlight, but being the fair skinned person I am, you don't often find me in the sun, not long enough to be reading anyhow. I don't like the idea of single purpose gadgets, which is the primary reason I haven't purchased one. Whereas my itouch has music, and podcasts, sometimes audible books, packing lists, meditation apps, white noise to go to sleep to, travel apps for the area I'm going to and Documents to Go if I really can't tear myself away from documents and spreadsheets ;).

I like ebooks for my summer "trash" reading: I like culinary mysteries. Once they are read, I donate them so as not to clutter up my bookshelf. I consider them "disposable". So the Kindle app is good for this, not taking up additional bookshelf space.

crunchycon
7-8-11, 7:01am
The Nook is compatible with ePub that libraries use now, and Kindles can use a converter program for ePub that converts the book into a PDF that the Kindle can read. And sometime later this summer, Kindle is going to provide Kindle owners with the ability to download library books directly. At the moment, since their software is proprietary, there's been a problem, but since Nook has that selling point, Amazon is being forced to compete and provide that ability for Kindles as well.

It really isn't an either/or question to me. I still get "dead tree" books from the library, I still buy used books, and still exchange books with friends. I've bought a few books for my Kindle, and have enjoyed many more that I was able to download for free. I've had a great summer downloading and reading many of the classics, from Sherlock Holmes to Charles Dickens, Jane Austen and others.......I'm getting ready to do F. Scott Fitzgerald's Jazz Stories now, and didn't have to pay a cent for any of them.

I love, love, love, love my Kindle. It won't replace "dead tree" books for me, but as an addition, has been well worth the cost. And since it slips right into my purse, no matter where I find myself, I have any number of choices of books to read, already downloaded and ready.

And, for the occasional one I want to buy.....the experience of sitting in a Home Depot parking lot listening to NPR discuss a new book with the author, and whipping out my Kindle, turning it on, using the wireless connection to access Amazon, typing in the book's title, hitting "buy now", and be sitting in the Home Depot parking lot starting to read the book while the interview was still going on????? Priceless!!!!!!!

What loosechickens said. ALL of it.:)

artist
7-8-11, 8:22am
I personally don't own an e-reader at this time, I like the feel of a paper book in my hands, but I can see the potential draw. Especially for those who are living in tight quarters (military, college students, long term hospital patients, folks in nursing homes
etc..), nomatic in nature (snowbirds, folks who need to travel for work) or are looking just to downsize their homes for a simpler life.

stacy

kfander
7-8-11, 2:21pm
I love my Kindle. There are several good books that are available for free or for a very nominal charge, mostly including ones that I would probably not have bought in printed form but which are worth reading, nevertheless. I prefer books in published paper format, especially those that I might want to refer to later, or which I want for my library, so I have often bought a book after having first read it on Kindle. But the majority of books that I have bought on Kindle are ones that I would have probably bought in paperback otherwise, and later composted during one of my periodic purging of my library. I would prefer lending them out or passing them on, but I live in a town where very few people read for enjoyment, or at all after they are no longer compelled to do so in high school. The Kindle is as easy to read as a printed book, unlike trying to read a book on a computer or back-lit e-reader.

Sagewoman
7-13-11, 3:52pm
I debated for a long time about a kindle. I had heard about gutenberg and wanted to get the many free classics, but reading on a computer is not pleasant for me. Kindle had the best print quality. I was able to see it at a local office supply store (staples?). I have downloaded hundreds of classics and can read wherever I go. If I'm waiting for a friend in a coffee shop, or waiting in line. It is small, slim and fits easily in a small purse. The reading quality is excellent. I'm into classics, so it is a real money saver since nearly all of them are free. Anything that is 100 years old or more, or the copyright has expired is very likely to be on the Amazon site or on gutenberg.

The downside of the Kindle is that you can't check out library books. This was so you'd have to buy more books online. I never do, though. I hope they get the library book thing straightened out. Kindle did have the easiest print to read, very pleasant reading and easy on the eyes.

It's great for trips, too. Also, you can look up any word that you find in a book if you'd like to know the meaning. The other thing is that you can read PDF files on it. So, I put my address list on it, since I don't keep all my addresses in my Tracfone, too time consuming. The battery lasts forever if you don't have the wifi turned on.

I still buy print books at garage sales, etc.